SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation & Infrastructure (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=198)
-   -   Portland Transit | TriMet/Mass Transit News (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83367)

MarkDaMan Aug 8, 2018 11:35 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/roadrepor...ncart_breaking

Quote:

TriMet considers abandoning Steel Bridge, building alternative transit crossing
Updated 3:40 PM; Posted 3:02 PM
By Andrew Theen atheen@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

TriMet doesn't own the Steel Bridge, but by the sounds of it, the transit agency is leery of continuing to rent its space on the more than 100-year-old span.

At its monthly board meeting Wednesday, the Steel Bridge's future bubbled to the surface during a discussion about an ongoing $20 million construction project to address aging track work on that bridge and elsewhere on the light rail system.

The Steel Bridge is a critical part of the tri-county agency's system. The Union Pacific-owned bridge carries five bus lines as well as five light-rail lines. TriMet subleases space from Oregon the Department of Transportation to operate on the historic bridge.

It's also a bottleneck for trains, buses, cars, and even pedestrians and cyclists on the busy lower span.

Linda Simmons, a TriMet board member, asked whether the agency was ready to "approach an alternative" to the Steel Bridge.

Early concepts are already being analyzed, according to TriMet General Manager Doug Kelsey.

Options could include building a new bridge, upgrading the Steel Bridge, or building a tunnel underneath the Willamette River.

Kelsey estimated whatever it eventually is, the project would be "at minimum, a $1 billion expenditure."
...(continues)

Pavlov's Dog Aug 9, 2018 6:41 AM

This is a very good pretense to get Portlanders seriously thinking about a subway. I'm pretty sure anybody who takes MAX downtown or through downtown would like something faster. I for one am very much in favor of this.

hat Aug 9, 2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog (Post 8276071)
This is a very good pretense to get Portlanders seriously thinking about a subway. I'm pretty sure anybody who takes MAX downtown or through downtown would like something faster. I for one am very much in favor of this.

Ditto. Another MAX bridge is a terrible idea. The Steel would be an excellent transit/bike/ped only bridge that ran streetcars along the current MAX ROW.

cailes Aug 9, 2018 7:39 PM

So many opportunities to improve service through downtown.

RED_PDXer Aug 9, 2018 10:08 PM

My understanding from a previous media interview with GM Doug Kelsey is that TriMet is starting to evaluate removal of 3-4 MAX stations on the surface alignment and look at tunnel options.

A new bridge seems like a loser due to required grades to get a acceptable navigational clearance since bridges upstream lift. This would cause some awful elevated ramps on both sides of the river. Or they could build a lift span bridge, but that doesn't sound like much of a winner compared to existing and expensive to operate!

dubu Aug 10, 2018 3:03 PM

portland needs longer trains so a tunnel is would be the best thing to happen there.

urbanlife Aug 10, 2018 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RED_PDXer (Post 8276756)
My understanding from a previous media interview with GM Doug Kelsey is that TriMet is starting to evaluate removal of 3-4 MAX stations on the surface alignment and look at tunnel options.

A new bridge seems like a loser due to required grades to get a acceptable navigational clearance since bridges upstream lift. This would cause some awful elevated ramps on both sides of the river. Or they could build a lift span bridge, but that doesn't sound like much of a winner compared to existing and expensive to operate!

I have said this before (literally yesterday in regards to Seattle's light rail) and I will say it again, no light rail system for a city this size should go over a drawbridge. It should either go over high enough to not need a drawbridge or tunnel under the water. Those are the only two good options.

As for Portland, this would be a great time to look into the idea of a subway line through downtown and potentially creating a more complex rail system in the process. Plus a tunnel under the river would open up tunneling under the Rose Quarter and potentially building an underground transportation hub that could remove trains and even buses from the street side that has made that interchange so complicated.

cityscapes Aug 11, 2018 12:46 AM

If they decide a tunnel is the best option, wouldn't it make more sense to just keep tunneling under OHSU rather than come up with some complicated tunnel portal configuration in such a dense part of inner SW?

urbanlife Aug 14, 2018 5:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityscapes (Post 8278035)
If they decide a tunnel is the best option, wouldn't it make more sense to just keep tunneling under OHSU rather than come up with some complicated tunnel portal configuration in such a dense part of inner SW?

You would think that, but my guess is they would just make a complex tunnel entrance system that connects around the 405 to the SW line.

MarkDaMan Sep 5, 2018 8:49 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...ncart_breaking

Quote:

TriMet considering closing 4 MAX stations downtown
Updated 12:24 PM; Posted 11:12 AM
By Andrew Theen atheen@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

There are too many MAX stations bunched too close together downtown, TriMet said, and the agency is taking a hard look at closing down several stations for the first time in its history.

TriMet is looking at shuttering as many as four stations - all on the Red and Blue lines - to try and speed up its light rail trains through downtown.

Some of the stations are a block or two from each other, or about 500 feet in some cases. MAX service started in 1986.

Roberta Altstadt, TriMet's communications manager, said the agency is just starting the discussion about closing the Skidmore Fountain, Mall/SW 5th Ave, Mall/SW 4th Ave, and Kings Hill/SW Salmon stations.

Those stations were picked due to low usage and close proximity to other stops.

"We have heard from riders that they would like a quicker trip through downtown," Altstadt said. If all four stations were closed, riders would save two minutes on a one-way trip between Old Town Chinatown and Goose Hollow.
...(continues)

Rob Nob Sep 5, 2018 11:52 PM

Biketown down

Antone else notice Biketown was down most of the day yesterday?
There was never a message that went out and no one replied to the support emails. I finally got through to support on the 800 number after it dropped my call on hold a few times. They confirmed it was down and that they were working on it, but I never got a reply that it was back up.

MarkDaMan Nov 16, 2018 4:05 AM

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2018...ike-lanes.html

Quote:

Portland backs $36 million in projects to speed up buses, make protected bike lanes
Updated 6:59 PM; Posted 6:06 PM
By Andrew Theen | The Oregonian/OregonLive atheen@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

Within the next five years, Portland has pledged to create bus-only travel lanes on the approaches to three downtown bridges, build a network of protected bike lanes on both sides of the Willamette River and improve dozens of dangerous pedestrian crossings in the city’s center.

The City Council on Thursday approved a $36 million project list, the culmination of an effort which dates to 2012 and which transportation leaders say would make downtown streets more efficient, safer and equitable for all Portlanders. The city still faces a $9 million funding gap to make the projects a reality. The overall effort, known as Central City in Motion, includes an additional $37 million in projects to build within the next six to 10 years.

The vote amounts to one of the most significant council actions on bike and transit projects in years, and transportation officials say it’s critical to give Portlanders a safe and efficient option to get around other than driving --- especially as the region grapples with how to meet its ambitious carbon emission reduction goals.

The top priorities:
  • A $5.3 million plan to build protected bike lanes, and bus and right-turn-only lanes on the Burnside Bridge and for blocks extending on either side.
  • A $6.6 million protected bike project in downtown, turning Fourth Avenue into a northbound route and Broadway into the southbound connector downtown.
  • A $4.5 million plan to turn Seventh Avenue in the Central Eastside Industrial District into a protected bike route.
  • A $4 million plan to convert the seasonal Better Naito bike lane into a permanent two-way cycle track on the riverfront road, which would convert one of the northbound travel lanes into the bike path.

...(continues)

MarkDaMan Dec 13, 2018 3:14 AM

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...e-the-mac.html

Quote:

TriMet’s MAX station closure proposal draws a powerful foe: The MAC
Updated 7:06 PM; Posted 4:48 PM
By Andrew Theen | The Oregonian/OregonLive atheen@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

TriMet’s proposal to close four underused MAX stations has produced a powerful opponent that helped pay for one of the stations to be built in the first place: The Multnomah Athletic Club.

The exclusive Southwest Portland club expressed strong opposition to TriMet’s proposal to close the Kings Hill/SW Salmon Street station, one of four underperforming stations floated in early September as ripe for potential closure. The Kings Hill station is adjacent to the club, and documents show the club paid $150,000 in the mid-1990s to make the station a reality. The station opened in 1997.

The MAC club joins Portland Saturday Market, which has protested the proposed closure of the Skidmore Fountain station, as powerful voices speaking out against the TriMet station closure proposals.
...(continues)

urbanlife Dec 13, 2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkDaMan (Post 8406946)

I get the opposition to close down the Skidmore Fountain stop, but I really don't understand why the MAC cares about the King St stop since anyone who goes to the MAC drives their Land Rover and parks in the garage.

MarkDaMan Dec 14, 2018 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanlife (Post 8407968)
I get the opposition to close down the Skidmore Fountain stop, but I really don't understand why the MAC cares about the King St stop since anyone who goes to the MAC drives their Land Rover and parks in the garage.

The article mentions they are looking out for their employees. 37% who are transit dependent. They also argue that with an estimate 2.5M square feet of development, it could become a more widely used stop in the near future. That said, I don't think Goose Hollow needs 3 stops, and Kings Hill is the most underused.

I don't see why Skidmore can't just be open during Saturday Market hours on Saturday and Sunday and closed the rest. I've seen that in other transit systems.

urbanlife Dec 14, 2018 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkDaMan (Post 8408077)
The article mentions they are looking out for their employees. 37% who are transit dependent. They also argue that with an estimate 2.5M square feet of development, it could become a more widely used stop in the near future. That said, I don't think Goose Hollow needs 3 stops, and Kings Hill is the most underused.

I don't see why Skidmore can't just be open during Saturday Market hours on Saturday and Sunday and closed the rest. I've seen that in other transit systems.

I had read that about their employees after I had posted this, it is nice that they are looking out for their employees and the future growth of Goose Hollow, but if someone is taking transit to work, they can easily walk 2-3 blocks to get to their employment from their stop.

Good point about the Skidmore stop, that would be easy to have that listed as a Saturday/Sunday only stop.

bvpcvm Dec 15, 2018 1:44 AM

Or, leave Skidmore and eliminate Oak St and Old Town.

RED_PDXer Dec 15, 2018 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkDaMan (Post 8408077)

Two thoughts.
1. Whatever argument the MAC has, it's useless considering that the Providence Park stop is literally 1-2 blocks away.
2. I get the weekend only stop at Skidmore, but I'm not sure that TriMet's signal system can accomplish that? I recall that the MAX Red Line had to stop (even though the doors would not open) at the Mt. Hood Ave station before it opened because of the signal system. I also think that happened when one of the Lloyd stops (NE 7th?) was closed for a while due to construction. I think it may have something to do with how the train calls through to the next series of signals to turn green in sequence from certain points. You'd think that could be changed, but those signal engineers literally scream when faced with a complication due to the age of that section of track.

urbanlife Dec 17, 2018 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RED_PDXer (Post 8409932)
Two thoughts.
1. Whatever argument the MAC has, it's useless considering that the Providence Park stop is literally 1-2 blocks away.
2. I get the weekend only stop at Skidmore, but I'm not sure that TriMet's signal system can accomplish that? I recall that the MAX Red Line had to stop (even though the doors would not open) at the Mt. Hood Ave station before it opened because of the signal system. I also think that happened when one of the Lloyd stops (NE 7th?) was closed for a while due to construction. I think it may have something to do with how the train calls through to the next series of signals to turn green in sequence from certain points. You'd think that could be changed, but those signal engineers literally scream when faced with a complication due to the age of that section of track.

Then you go to NYC's system and it is literally a bunch of switches and lights for a complex system of trains and tracks.

MarkDaMan Jan 1, 2019 6:30 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/news...-transpor.html

Quote:

OREGONLIVE.COM

10 things to watch in transportation world in 2019
By Andrew Theen | The Oregonian/OregonLive | Posted January 01, 2019 at 08:00 AM

Where are we going, gang?

As a state, Oregon recently passed 4 million residents. There’s seemingly a hotel popping up on every other corner in downtown Portland.

Thorny transportation issues loom ahead for the Portland region as a whole, as the prospect of freeway tolls, Interstate Bridge replacement talks and big-ticket freeway construction projects at the Rose Quarter hang in the ether. Some people are pushing for bullet train or passenger ferries, and any number of ways to get around that don’t involve being alone in a car. This is all without mentioning autonomous vehicles.

In some ways, 2019 may feel like a year of transition, or one of treading water. Here’s what to expect in the transportation world.
...(continues)