SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Transportation & Infrastructure (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=198)
-   -   Blumenauer Pedestrian Bridge (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=241128)

dubu Dec 3, 2019 7:26 PM

Blumenauer Pedestrian Bridge
 
https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...n-in-2021.html

Portland transportation leaders and representatives from inner eastside neighborhoods on Thursday celebrated the groundbreaking of a long-awaited bike and pedestrian bridge spanning Interstate 84.

The project, which has been discussed for decades, is now officially called the Congressman Earl Blumenauer Bike and Pedestrian Bridge. The $13.7 million carless structure will connect the Lloyd and Central Eastside Industrial districts at Northeast 7th Avenue. Crews will soon start working on the 475-foot-bridge and construction is expected to wrap up in early 2021.

https://i.imgur.com/FiNLNMC.jpg

tworivers Dec 4, 2019 6:11 AM

True fact: this was my project in, I believe, 2007 ('09?) when I took the PBOT/PSU "Traffic & Transportation" class. My class partner and I were chosen to present it to Sam Adams at the end of the semester and it was featured on Chris Smith's blog. That was back in the days when I was excited about bicycle advocacy, back when I was drinking the city's "10-minute-neighborhood" kool-aid and occasionally had optimistic thoughts about the future; now, like so many others, I ride only occasionally, especially with it not feeling particularly safe karting my 4-yr-old around. These days I just hop in the car and drive toward the cliff that awaits us all.

urbanlife Dec 4, 2019 6:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tworivers (Post 8766290)
True fact: this was my project in, I believe, 2007 ('09?) when I took the PBOT/PSU "Traffic & Transportation" class. My class partner and I were chosen to present it to Sam Adams at the end of the semester and it was featured on Chris Smith's blog. That was back in the days when I was excited about bicycle advocacy, back when I was drinking the city's "10-minute-neighborhood" kool-aid and occasionally had optimistic thoughts about the future; now, like so many others, I ride only occasionally, especially with it not feeling particularly safe karting my 4-yr-old around. These days I just hop in the car and drive toward the cliff that awaits us all.

Just think, while biking might not be beneficial for you right now with a toddler, which as a dad of a 2.5yr old toddler, I fully understand. There is someone out there without a kid in tow that will benefit from this greatly, and there is still future you that might want to return to biking when commuting.

dubu Dec 4, 2019 4:14 PM

now there just needs to be a elevated bike path. thats not the best area to bike, probably the area with the most bike's though.

a long time ago i was saying why not have a streetcar bridge there (like above) instead of having the streetcar go on 99e. ive got to find the thread, its probably real cringe from my early 20's. it was city-data.

PdX Farr Dec 5, 2019 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubu (Post 8766536)
now there just needs to be a elevated bike path. thats not the best area to bike, probably the area with the most bike's though.

a long time ago i was saying why not have a streetcar bridge there (like above) instead of having the streetcar go on 99e. ive got to find the thread, its probably real cringe from my early 20's. it was city-data.

Would love to see some more forum posts from the 20’s. Suckers didn’t even know how bad the Great Depression was going to be.

dubu Dec 5, 2019 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PdX Farr (Post 8767032)
Would love to see some more forum posts from the 20’s. Suckers didn’t even know how bad the Great Depression was going to be.

there might be a depression in the 2020's in oregon if there is a earthquake.

urbanlife Dec 6, 2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubu (Post 8766536)
now there just needs to be a elevated bike path. thats not the best area to bike, probably the area with the most bike's though.

a long time ago i was saying why not have a streetcar bridge there (like above) instead of having the streetcar go on 99e. ive got to find the thread, its probably real cringe from my early 20's. it was city-data.

I have always thought it would have made more sense running the streetcar and have all the development happen along 7th. That street would have made a better urban corridor to run a streetcar through without having to deal with the increased traffic on 99E, though I will say, I have liked seeing all the new buildings going up along 99E.

Oh man, I forgot about city-data, I got permanently banned from there for upsetting some really far right wing mods. That site is definitely a dumpster, though I imagine it is much worse these days.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.