SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=285)
-   -   Jackson Square (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162043)

bornagainbiking Dec 8, 2008 1:59 AM

Jackson Square

So I went to Jackson Square and paid $2for parking Wilson and John.  Walked around and got a new hard cover novel for $1.89 at the clearance table @ Coles.  Cruised the Farmer's Market and sat in the new seating (30 metres X 30 metres) with a water from the dollar store across from the indoor library entrance.Then I caught  $6.99 movie matinee with a first run movie with hardly anyone there.  So yes I will do that again.  Cheap cheap cheap.Sure is a pleasant option to Silver city. Cheap afternnon out with your kids.

matt602 Dec 8, 2008 3:23 AM

Jackson Square is definitely on the rise now. Lots of new changes and stuff. It was busy as hell yesterday around dinner time while I was waiting for a friend in the food court.

MsMe Dec 8, 2008 3:59 AM

What kind of books do you read Bornagainbiking?

Glad I had a book with me last winter after my accident and stuck for hours in ER for many evenings while on IV anti biotics.

emge Dec 8, 2008 5:31 AM

Even from last year I've noticed a change - more shops, more people, general tone changing. The new Peoples' helps that one section of the mall to be more continuous and attractive - you can walk down the whole hall now and see interesting stores.

A few friends from out-of-town come to the Maker's Market with me yesterday, and we ended up heading to the Farmer's Market after, but we also ended up spending another while in Jackson Square and buying a few things. That likely wouldn't have happened a while ago.

I love it when people come down and they're so excited about what Hamilton has to offer... makes me feel like things are a-changin'. i suppose they are.

omro Dec 8, 2008 10:52 AM

I agree, Jackson Square seems to have improved.

If anyone remembers my comments about the place during my first visit in April, I found it quite different during my second visit in October. OK, I still think it's a dark and gloomy inside (the use of dark materials doesn't help) and really could do with a jolly good clean, but there were far more shops open and I actually found some places that I wanted to go in and browse.

Onwards and upwards :-)

bornagainbiking Dec 8, 2008 9:31 PM

Mall Walkers

As for books mostly, mystery, crime or military fiction.
Jackson Sq is a fair size now and Yale should start a early morning Mall Walker's program.
The food court would get the coffee after crowd. Maybe check with the YMCA, YWCA and Heart and stroke.
People could take the bus right tho the door and if you use City Centre to the Druxy's that is a far distance.

MsMe Dec 8, 2008 9:49 PM

Centre Mall, mall walkers will have to go to Eastgate Mall since the Centre Mall isn't a mall anymore. So it would be good to start up something like that there.

IronWarrior Dec 8, 2008 10:45 PM

I also have to say that Jackson Square is starting to pick up, I go there 4-5 days a week and have noticed it starting to get alot busier! even on weekends as well, which is great! JS always had alot of traffic during the week mon-fri because of all the office people, but weekends used to be pretty dead...

adam Dec 8, 2008 11:01 PM

I've gotta say we were there this weekend on the way to the Maker's Market and we stopped at several stores - usually I just walk through as quickly as possible - its fun to walk through now

go_leafs_go02 Dec 9, 2008 1:16 AM

I don't mind Jackson Square at all, as a mall, for downtown, it's always busy, and seems to be doing well. City Centre is a different story. Due to design issues, I really wish City Centre could have all the stores in Jackson Square, and be the thriving part of the mall. Esthetically, City Centre isn't terrible at all. Sure it's somewhat bland, but it's airy, bright, and if it had the business in there, it would be quite the pleasant place.

Hypothetical. I know City Hall is in there, but yeah. I just find that mall more visually appealing compared to JS.

oldcoote Dec 9, 2008 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bornagainbiking (Post 3961202)
As for books mostly, mystery, crime or military fiction.
Jackson Sq is a fair size now and Yale should start a early morning Mall Walker's program.
The food court would get the coffee after crowd. Maybe check with the YMCA, YWCA and Heart and stroke.
People could take the bus right tho the door and if you use City Centre to the Druxy's that is a far distance.

I think they have one. I saw flyers in City Centre last winter.

SteelTown Dec 9, 2008 4:28 PM

Relocated the thread since other malls like Centre Mall and Mountain Plaza are in this section.

hammergirl Dec 24, 2008 3:28 PM

Is Smith McKay florist still in Jackson Square?

block43 Dec 24, 2008 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammergirl (Post 3991681)
Is Smith McKay florist still in Jackson Square?

Nope, it has been gone for about a year.

hammergirl Dec 24, 2008 3:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by block43 (Post 3991690)
Nope, it has been gone for about a year.

Thanks, I was pretty sure they were gone but someone was telling me they were still there.

Millstone Dec 25, 2008 3:14 AM

It's so wonderful seeing guys taking swigs out of paper LCBO bags in JS

matt602 Dec 25, 2008 8:36 PM

I have seen the same in the Eaton Centre in Toronto many times as well. When ya gotta drink, ya gotta drink.

matt602 Feb 24, 2009 11:45 PM

During a wonder today, I found out that a "Sushi on the Go" vendor is going in where the new seating area at Jackson is. There's a construction notice posted on one of the doors. It lists Tran Dieu (guy who restored Victoria Hall/Mackay) as having something to do with it. This guy seems to be throwing around a fair bit of cash downtown.

Hammer Native Feb 25, 2009 1:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt602 (Post 3993263)
I have seen the same in the Eaton Centre in Toronto many times as well. When ya gotta drink, ya gotta drink.

Yeah it's where they gotta pee where people downtown are more worried about.:jester:
:jester:

markk Feb 25, 2009 4:30 PM

That's great news about 'Sushi on the Go' ... I grab quick sushi from places like this when I work in TO, this will be a nice option for downtown workers!