SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Proposals (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   LOS ANGELES | Olympia Towers | 43, 53 & 65 FLOORS (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=226318)

LA21st Dec 23, 2016 4:52 AM

LOS ANGELES | Olympia Towers | 43, 53 & 65 FLOORS
 
http://urbanize.la/post/whoa-renderi...olympia-towers


Towers will be 43, 53 and 65 floors, respectively.
Speculation tallest tower will be 800 feet near LA Live.

LA21st Dec 23, 2016 5:21 AM

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...222-story.html

chris08876 Dec 23, 2016 9:02 PM

Just so people don't have to leave ssp to see a rendering. From the link:

http://urbanize.la/sites/default/fil...?itok=kLy0H0cp

Reminds me of Urban Ready Living in Jersey City.

5771 × 2886 rendering of Olympia Towers: https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/cho...mpiaTowers.jpg (Click Me)

Nick852 Dec 27, 2016 3:24 PM

I wonder, is downtown L.A. the only place where buildings of this height are approved to be built? Downtown L.A. still is not a desirable area, it is dead at night, still has lots of empty, decrepit lots, etc..

Wouldn't a nicer area, say closer to the coasts, be a better bet?

BrandonJXN Dec 27, 2016 3:27 PM

Well it can't be too undesirable if all these cranes dot the skyline and all these buildings are being proposed. Also: Buildings of this size would NEVER be built in coastal California.

Nick852 Dec 27, 2016 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandonJXN (Post 7661691)
Well it can't be too undesirable if all these cranes dot the skyline and all these buildings are being proposed. Also: Buildings of this size would NEVER be built in coastal California.

Must be, but I can't imagine how anyone in his right mind would want to live in Downtown L.A. right now. The market is fueled by foreign money, it may be that they just buy based on a floorplan drawing without even setting foot in L.A., as is often the case.

Anyway, I hope L.A. will become more desirable (and hopefully not a giant grey parking lot), but I think it will take many, many years.

BrandonJXN Dec 27, 2016 3:56 PM

Hell I wanted to live in downtown 10 years ago back when LA Live was a hole in the ground.

ChargerCarl Dec 27, 2016 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick852 (Post 7661688)
I wonder, is downtown L.A. the only place where buildings of this height are approved to be built? Downtown L.A. still is not a desirable area, it is dead at night, still has lots of empty, decrepit lots, etc..

Wouldn't a nicer area, say closer to the coasts, be a better bet?

Pretty much. The coast is owned by NIMBYs and misguided environmentalists.

chris08876 Dec 27, 2016 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChargerCarl (Post 7661725)
Pretty much. The coast is owned by NIMBYs and misguided environmentalists.

You'd think with the popularity of the beaches, that it would be a Miami Style Coast stretching for miles. High rise Galore. Granted there's the debate on aesthetics, and yeah, it would change the area, but I'm sure the demand is there for condo towers and hotels.

Maybe an architectural design committee could work. At least if they build tall on the coast, make it look nice.

BrandonJXN Dec 27, 2016 4:56 PM

Regardless of skyscrapers on the coast, they have nothing to do with the Olympia Towers. Which are another piece in bridging LA Live with the Financial District.

SLO Dec 27, 2016 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick852 (Post 7661700)
Must be, but I can't imagine how anyone in his right mind would want to live in Downtown L.A. right now. The market is fueled by foreign money, it may be that they just buy based on a floorplan drawing without even setting foot in L.A., as is often the case.

Anyway, I hope L.A. will become more desirable (and hopefully not a giant grey parking lot), but I think it will take many, many years.

No need to troll the LA threads. Obviously you haven't been lately if ever. Sounds like you are talking 80s dtLA.

SLO Dec 27, 2016 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChargerCarl (Post 7661725)
Pretty much. The coast is owned by NIMBYs and misguided environmentalists.

Yep, the Coastal Commission would never allow a new highrise on the coast. I like the mission of the CC, but they are misguided in too many ways.

SLO Dec 27, 2016 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandonJXN (Post 7661753)
Regardless of skyscrapers on the coast, they have nothing to do with the Olympia Towers. Which are another piece in bridging LA Live with the Financial District.

I agree, this project looks fantastic, DTLA is spreading out...

kelbeen Dec 27, 2016 6:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick852 (Post 7661700)
Must be, but I can't imagine how anyone in his right mind would want to live in Downtown L.A. right now. The market is fueled by foreign money, it may be that they just buy based on a floorplan drawing without even setting foot in L.A., as is often the case.

Anyway, I hope L.A. will become more desirable (and hopefully not a giant grey parking lot), but I think it will take many, many years.

This has nothing to do with the project on Olympia. It seems that you're trolling on multiple L.A. threads. Unfortunately, you have not visited LA within the past few years. The city changed a lot.

"I hope LA will become more desirable"
Los Angeles (especially Downtown) is one of the hottest market in the United States right now. It is the "most invested city" in the nation in 2016. It's the second biggest construction zone, after Seattle. Yes, LA is more desirable than you thought. This project, Olympia, along with others (Metropolis, Oceanwide Plaza, Luxe Redevelopment, Circa, Wilshire Grand, NFL Stadium, Lucas Museum, Sixth Street Redevelopment, Los Angeles River Revitalization, Metro Subway Expansion, Century Plaza Hotel Redevelopment, LAX Redevelopment, and the thousands of projects happening around the city) are all clear evidence that LA is drawing BILLIONS of dollars of development.

"but I think it will take many, many years"
Los Angeles is already the densest metro in the United States. Fact. It's becoming harder for NY Metro to catch up because there's so much development in every corner of LA Basin.


Going back on the topic of this thread, Olympia
Are those vertical lines on the podium an LED sign or is there none?
http://urbanize.la/sites/default/fil...?itok=OJ1AKuXk

LA21st Dec 28, 2016 2:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick852 (Post 7661700)
Must be, but I can't imagine how anyone in his right mind would want to live in Downtown L.A. right now. The market is fueled by foreign money, it may be that they just buy based on a floorplan drawing without even setting foot in L.A., as is often the case.

Anyway, I hope L.A. will become more desirable (and hopefully not a giant grey parking lot), but I think it will take many, many years.

What are you talking about?

A giant grey parking lot? What? Are there even that many GIANT PARKING LOTS left right now? Most have proposals or being torn down/have been torn down.

112597jorge Dec 30, 2016 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelbeen (Post 7661816)
This has nothing to do with the project on Olympia. It seems that you're trolling on multiple L.A. threads. Unfortunately, you have not visited LA within the past few years. The city changed a lot.

"I hope LA will become more desirable"
Los Angeles (especially Downtown) is one of the hottest market in the United States right now. It is the "most invested city" in the nation in 2016. It's the second biggest construction zone, after Seattle. Yes, LA is more desirable than you thought. This project, Olympia, along with others (Metropolis, Oceanwide Plaza, Luxe Redevelopment, Circa, Wilshire Grand, NFL Stadium, Lucas Museum, Sixth Street Redevelopment, Los Angeles River Revitalization, Metro Subway Expansion, Century Plaza Hotel Redevelopment, LAX Redevelopment, and the thousands of projects happening around the city) are all clear evidence that LA is drawing BILLIONS of dollars of development.

"but I think it will take many, many years"
Los Angeles is already the densest metro in the United States. Fact. It's becoming harder for NY Metro to catch up because there's so much development in every corner of LA Basin.


Going back on the topic of this thread, Olympia
Are those vertical lines on the podium an LED sign or is there none?
http://urbanize.la/sites/default/fil...?itok=OJ1AKuXk

seems to be that they are LED signs, especially on the rendering with the podium facing the freeway you see digital images being displayed in the vertical elements.

LosAngelesSportsFan Dec 30, 2016 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChargerCarl (Post 7661725)
Pretty much. The coast is owned by NIMBYs and misguided environmentalists.

Im as pro development as it comes and i would be out with a pitchfork if anyone wanted to build a skyscraper outside of Long Beach of Santa Monica. Its not necessary and doesnt fit the fabric of California beach cities.

ChargerCarl Dec 30, 2016 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan (Post 7664171)
Im as pro development as it comes and i would be out with a pitchfork if anyone wanted to build a skyscraper outside of Long Beach of Santa Monica. Its not necessary and doesnt fit the fabric of California beach cities.

Then you're really not that pro-development.

King Kill 'em Dec 31, 2016 12:48 AM

Well there's not really a possibility of a skyscraper being built in any of the beach cities in LA County except Long Beach and Santa Monica.

ChargerCarl Dec 31, 2016 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Kill 'em (Post 7664293)
Well there's not really a possibility of a skyscraper being built in any of the beach cities in LA County except Long Beach and Santa Monica.

There's a lot of demand for it in Orange County though, and probably Venice as well.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.