SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | 1 Manhattan West | 995 FT | 71 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127297)

NYguy Mar 14, 2007 11:33 AM

NEW YORK | 1 Manhattan West | 995 FT | 71 FLOORS

MANHATTAN WEST

Two towers:
66 stories - 3.4 msf - 1,216 ft
60 stories - 1.9 msf - 935 ft

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/93262529/large.jpg

NY Post

FOUR TOWERS NEAR FARLEY
BROOKFIELD STILL NEEDS ANCHOR

http://www.nypost.com/img/cols/loisweiss_btb.jpg

March 14, 2007

BROOKFIELD Properties is readying plans for four towers totaling 4.7 million feet at the rear of the Farley Post Office on the west side of Ninth Avenue between 31st and 33rd streets.

"It will be an awesome location," Ric Clark, Brookfield's CEO, said at the Young Men's and Women's Real Estate Association luncheon yesterday.

Clark said plans call for the east end of the plot to host two office towers sharing 4 million square feet while the west end will have two residential towers totaling 700,000 feet.

They hope to kick off marketing the northern office tower of 1.6 million square feet within the next few weeks, for delivery in late 2010. That process will begin with the sharing of new renderings now being prepared by Skidmore Owings Merrill.

While there's no anchor tenant yet, Clark said Brookfield is in discussions with "all the usual suspects" and expects rents to start in the $80 range.

Would they break ground without an anchor tenant? "Never say never," Clark said. "But we would need to know the Moynihan Train Station was going forward."

NYguy Mar 14, 2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

Clark said plans call for the east end of the plot to host two office towers sharing 4 million square feet while the west end will have two residential towers totaling 700,000 feet.

They hope to kick off marketing the northern office tower of 1.6 million square feet within the next few weeks, for delivery in late 2010.

With my good math skills, I put the towers at this size :)

1 tower at........... 2.4 msf
1 tower at........... 1.6 msf

2 residential towers totalling......700,000 sf

Not bad. And we don't even have the plans for the MSG site, nor the 2.5 msf tower at the Hotel Penn site. Things are really looking up...

NYguy Mar 14, 2007 11:44 AM

Brookfield's site in relation to other major developments...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/69609970/original.jpg

Fronting 9th Ave...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/70157743/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/70157714/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/70157760/large.jpg

Trojan in NYC Mar 14, 2007 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 2687837)
With my good math skills, I put the towers at this size :)

1 tower at........... 2.4 msf
1 tower at........... 1.6 msf

2 residential towers totalling......700,000 sf

Not bad. And we don't even have the plans for the MSG site, nor the 2.5 msf tower at the Hotel Penn site. Things are really looking up...

2.4 msf would be a pretty tall building. I hope these buildings get built soon.

Thskyscraper Mar 14, 2007 8:31 PM

:previous: I hope so. It's a small plot for 4 buildings, so there has to be one or two of these towers that are 600ft+.

lazar22b Mar 14, 2007 8:48 PM

^^ Maybe for the residential. 2.4 msf is most likely around 1000ft. BoA is 2.2 msf.

antinimby Mar 14, 2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trojans14 (Post 2688772)
2.4 msf would be a pretty tall building. I hope these buildings get built soon.

But first, they have to build a platform over the railroad tracks. That takes a long time.

R@ptor Mar 14, 2007 11:04 PM

Great news. This will really help to link the Midtown skyline with the upcoming Westside skyline.

CoolCzech Mar 14, 2007 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazar22b (Post 2688832)
^^ Maybe for the residential. 2.4 msf is most likely around 1000ft. BoA is 2.2 msf.

And don't forget that BoA has a massive base. 2.4 msf could easily translate into extraordinary height indeed on a smaller lot...

BINARY SYSTEM Mar 15, 2007 1:20 AM

I hope the 2.4 msf tower is 300 meters +, I'm sick of Midtown and the city picking scrapers in the range of 250 meters. NO MORE PEOPLE, LET'S MOVE IT UP A COUPLE OF NOTCHES!:D

NYguy Mar 15, 2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antinimby (Post 2689063)
But first, they have to build a platform over the railroad tracks. That takes a long time.

Apparently not that long...

Quote:

They hope to kick off marketing the northern office tower of 1.6 million square feet within the next few weeks, for delivery in late 2010.
I know Brookfield has had plans and agreements in place with the transit agencies regarding building the platform. Even so, I have trouble imagining more than two towers fitting on that site. But residential towers don't have to be very large, and will likely have much smaller footprints.

Quote:

Would they break ground without an anchor tenant? "Never say never," Clark said. "But we would need to know the Moynihan Train Station was going forward."
The Moynihan project is moving forward, we should be getting plans on that next month. It's just astonishing the amount of commercial space being built on basically two blocks. I guess the developers in Midtown want to strike back early and hard at the WTC, something I don't think happend the first time around. But with the office market as hot as it is in Manhattan, there's not a better time to do it.

A look at NY's largest new office developments (doesn't include nearly full towers like Times, BofA, and Goldman Sachs)

Downtown
Freedom Tower............2.6 msf office tower
Tower 2 .....................2.5 msf office tower
Tower 3 .....................2.5 msf office tower
Tower 4 .....................2.8 msf office tower
Tower 5 .....................1.8 msf office tower

Midtown
Hotel Penn site ............2.5 msf office tower
MSG site.....................6 msf - 2 office towers
Brookfield tower 1 ........1.6 msf office tower
Brookfield tower 2 ........2.5 msf office tower

Thefigman Mar 15, 2007 1:49 PM

This and the MSG site are going to make for an impressive cluster!

NYguy Mar 18, 2007 1:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefigman (Post 2690867)
This and the MSG site are going to make for an impressive cluster!

Put this visual together of the new 33rd-31st St cluster. You get Brookfield's
4.7 msf development, Related's 6 msf MSG development, and Vornado's 2.5 msf Hotel Penn tower.

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/75818321/original.jpg

But Brookfields site is somewhat small, considering they want to build four towers.
Even with smaller residential towers, the sites for the 2 office towers won't
be large enough to build large trading floor bases like the ones found at BofA,
the new WTC, and even the Hotel Penn tower. The tallest tower here has
the potential to be taller than the tower at the Hotel Penn site.

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/75818270/large.jpg

antinimby Mar 18, 2007 6:41 PM

Actually the base can be big enough if they do the "Bloomberg or Time Warner Center" thing where two towers share a large common base.

NYguy Mar 18, 2007 9:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antinimby (Post 2699541)
Actually the base can be big enough if they do the "Bloomberg or Time Warner Center" thing where two towers share a large common base.

That could only happen if you build both towers at the same time, the way Time Warner Center was built.

Quote:

They hope to kick off marketing the northern office tower of 1.6 million square feet within the next few weeks, for delivery in late 2010. That process will begin with the sharing of new renderings now being prepared by Skidmore Owings Merrill.
That won't happen here.

I believe the Hudson Yards zoning calls for pedestrian circulation (either indoor or inclosed) between the towers, where there is no 32nd street (the same thing called for at the MSG site).

But either way, the site is too small. You would need to extend the base all the way to the western edge of the site, where apparently they want to build two residential towers. I'm constantly going through the site (entering and leaving Penn Station) and at best it's suited for two towers. But if they're looking to go up, they can cram all the space they want to in there (zoning calls for 4.7 msf).

CoolCzech Mar 19, 2007 2:51 AM

So in a few years, the ESB could actually be obscured behind several taller towers... quite a change for New York that would be. Probably the most significant since the Chrysler and ESB were constructed, actually.

STERNyc Mar 19, 2007 3:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolCzech (Post 2700524)
So in a few years, the ESB could actually be obscured behind several taller towers... quite a change for New York that would be. Probably the most significant since the Chrysler and ESB were constructed, actually.

You're forgetting the original WTC, it was pretty big news when it was built...

NYRY85 Mar 19, 2007 3:23 AM

I believe hes referring to Midtown only. The WTC never obscured the views of either.

kznyc2k Mar 19, 2007 4:57 AM

Man, next time I come in by way of Penn Station I'm gonna make sure I take pictures of all the surrounding blocks, before they all get redeveloped with 600+ footers and the place becomes unrecognizeable from what I (will) remember as a youngster. Pretty soon the Nelson Building will look like a midget after years of dominating its territory.. neato!

NYguy Mar 19, 2007 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolCzech (Post 2700524)

That would be quite a change. For so many years, the Empire State has dominated Midtown. And nothing in the immediate area even comes close. It was the world's tallest for about 4 decades, and is the only former tallest to hold the title of a city's tallest on two seperate occasions.

Yet, the day of the ESB's dominance may be coming to a close. Midtown developers want to offer the same type of space being offered Downtown at the new WTC. It's no coincidence that most of these towers have the same target dates of completion (and are all actively seeking tenants, something done years ahead in New York).

Quote:

What surprises me is that of all the new towers in the area, I thought the Hotel Penn tower would sprout first (they're shooting for 2011). Who knew Brookfield would trump both Vornado's tower and Silverstein's WTC towers?

CoolCzech Mar 19, 2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STERNyc (Post 2700566)
You're forgetting the original WTC, it was pretty big news when it was built...

True, but I mean right now when you drive down the Westside Hwy the ESB stands out like a gigantic exclamation mark, in magnificent isolation from other tall buildings. But if all the different projects - the Brookfield and the Vornado projects, the tower at the Hotel Penn site - get underway and reach their potential heights, the ESB will be literally obscured from sight, save perhaps for its spire, from that viewpoint. THAT would make for a radical change to the "look" of NYC, at least from that side of Manhattan...

CoolCzech Mar 19, 2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 2701168)
That would be quite a change. For so many years, the Empire State has dominated Midtown. And nothing in the immediate area even comes close. It was the world's tallest for about 4 decades, and is the only former tallest to hold the title of a city's tallest on two seperate occasions.

Yet, the day of the ESB's dominance may be coming to a close.

And the ESB continued to dominate downtown even after the Twins were put up.

It is a stunning testament to the true greatness of the ESB that it was maintained its standout status in the most skyscraper-intense city in the world right thru the 1st decade of the 21st century, nearly 70 years since it was put up.

But it also underscores what an exciting time in NYC's building history this particular era has suddenly - against all expectations, really, when you consider what was being said after 9/11 - turned into.:banana:

And it's not just the mega-projects like Vornado's plan for an AOL-type development around MSG, only bigger, either... 8th Avenue is almost casually being transformed into another Avenue of the Americas before our eyes, and Manhattan is overflowing its physical boundaries into Jersey City and Queen. Even Brooklyn will soon have a skyline worthy of many another major city downtown area!

NYguy Mar 19, 2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolCzech (Post 2701169)
True, but I mean right now when you drive down the Westside Hwy the ESB stands out like a gigantic exclamation mark, in magnificent isolation from other tall buildings. But if all the different projects - the Brookfield and the Vornado projects, the tower at the Hotel Penn site - get underway and reach their potential heights, the ESB will be literally obscured from sight, save perhaps for its spire, from that viewpoint. THAT would make for a radical change to the "look" of NYC, at least from that side of Manhattan...

It really depends on the angle. Because those towers are virtually "in line" with the ESB, they really would only block it in the 33rd-30th St range. You would actually see all of the towers from most other places. But we'll just have to wait and see the bulk and heights of the towers.

Thefigman Mar 19, 2007 1:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 2701172)
It really depends on the angle. Because those towers are virtually "in line" with the ESB, they really would only block it in the 33rd-30th St range. You would actually see all of the towers from most other places. But we'll just have to wait and see the bulk and heights of the towers.

Looking at the area in question, it would appear that the Jersey side views of the ESB would be most effected, and that would really be only from right across the river and a little south of there. Middlesex county, NJ/Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx views should still be able to see the ESB no matter what the height of the buildings constructed. Although, it just won't stand out as much.

Stu Mar 19, 2007 8:27 PM

As has been mentioned, the two office towers will have to be quite thin to fit on that site + leave space for 2 residential towers. Tall thin office towers of 1.6 and 2.4 msf? I can dig that.

NYguy Mar 19, 2007 9:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 2702123)
As has been mentioned, the two office towers will have to be quite thin to fit on that site + leave space for 2 residential towers. Tall thin office towers of 1.6 and 2.4 msf? I can dig that.

Yep!...:tup:

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/75818270/large.jpg

NYguy Mar 19, 2007 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefigman (Post 2701213)
Looking at the area in question, it would appear that the Jersey side views of the ESB would be most effected, and that would really be only from right across the river and a little south of there. Middlesex county, NJ/Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx views should still be able to see the ESB no matter what the height of the buildings constructed. Although, it just won't stand out as much.

That's true. All of the new towers would be south of the ESB...

http://www.grandscapes.biz/images/hu...ail3_r1_c2.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/75818321/original.jpg

CoolCzech Mar 20, 2007 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefigman

Hopefully, the overall effect will be of the classic lower Manhattan skyline from the 1930's, of ever steeper towers culminating with the ESB the tallest point in the middle. Or perhaps, with the ESB as a step towards an even taller tower?

antinimby Mar 20, 2007 12:51 AM

Anyone worried that SOM NY will not be able to pull it off?

Remember this is SOM New York (David Childs), not SOM Chicago.

Eigenwelt Mar 20, 2007 3:15 AM

How soon can we expect renderings?

NYguy Mar 20, 2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolCzech (Post 2702712)
Hopefully, the overall effect will be of the classic lower Manhattan skyline from the 1930's, of ever steeper towers culminating with the ESB the tallest point in the middle.

The ESB won't be in the middle, it would be the farthest to the east. The tallest towers should go on the MSG site as far as the skyline is concerned. But who knows...

NYguy Mar 20, 2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eigenwelt (Post 2703175)
How soon can we expect renderings?

Possibly soon...

Quote:

That's the first Brookfield tower. Hopefully those renderings will be made public. Word is that Related/Vornado's MSG proposal will be revealed sometime in April. Maybe they'll unveil plans for the Hotel Penn tower as well.

BINARY SYSTEM Mar 20, 2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 2703851)
Possibly soon...

That's the first Brookfield tower. Hopefully those renderings will be made public. Word is that Related/Vornado's MSG proposal will be revealed sometime in April. Maybe they'll unveil plans for the Hotel Penn tower as well.

How tall do you think these two bad boys will be NYguy? I think the 2.4 msf tower will be around 350 meters.

NYguy Mar 21, 2007 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BINARY SYSTEM (Post 2705093)
How tall do you think these two bad boys will be NYguy? I think the 2.4 msf tower will be around 350 meters.

Don't know. The first tower could go anywhere from 750 to 850 ft. The second, perhaps 900 to 1200 ft. Possibly more. A lot depends on the massing.

kenratboy Mar 28, 2007 5:24 AM

This project has a lot of potential. I look foward to seeing how it progressed.

Certainly, and opportunity like this doesn't come along very often!

NYguy Mar 28, 2007 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenratboy (Post 2724058)
Certainly, and opportunity like this doesn't come along very often!

Nope. And certainly not within a block of an even larger, similar development. Good times...

NYguy Mar 28, 2007 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antinimby (Post 2702830)
Anyone worried that SOM NY will not be able to pull it off?
Remember this is SOM New York (David Childs), not SOM Chicago.

Check the MSG thread for an interview with Childs on his other work in the area...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=119637&page=5

NYguy Apr 9, 2007 12:58 PM

APRIL 8, 2007

Quick glimpse of the rails to be covered by this huge development...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/76895778/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/76895793/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/76895778/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/76895793/large.jpg

NYguy Apr 17, 2007 7:12 PM

More specifics, pages 57-58
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/hyar...nformation.pdf

Site 729A
Northwest corner of Ninth Avenue and West 31st Street

Ownership: Privately owned
Assemblage required: No

Design Controls: sidewalk widening, ground floor retail and transparency,
street trees, required street wall, required publicly-accessible through-block
passageway
Parking Requirement: approximately 822 spaces

Height Limits: None
Total Lot Area (SF): 128,600
Max. FAR: 19.0
Max. ZFA (SF): 2,443,400

Site Attributes: Convenient access to future mass transit and Midtown;
accommodates large floor plate commercial uses

Site Challenges: Construction of a platform over existing and proposed
below-grade railroad tracks and right-of-way; Below-grade parking
requirement

Site 729B
Southeast corner of Ninth Avenue and West 33rd Street

Ownership: Privately owned
Assemblage required: No

Design Controls: sidewalk widening, ground floor retail and transparency,
street trees, required street wall, required public plaza
Parking Requirement: approximately 516 spaces

Height Limits: None
Total Lot Area (SF): 80,729
Max. FAR: 19.0
Max. ZFA (SF): 1,533,851

Site Attributes: Convenient access to future mass transit and Midtown;
accommodates large floor plate commercial uses

Site Challenges: Construction of a platform over below-grade railroad
tracks and right-of-way; Site geometry; Below-grade parking requirement

NYguy Apr 19, 2007 6:31 PM

Another look at the open site...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/77418257/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/77418255/original.jpg

NYguy Apr 25, 2007 11:28 AM

Quote from an article in the Observer
http://observer.com/2007/behold-mini-city-rises

Quote:

Behold, a Mini-City Rises

Though residential use is supposed to dominate the northern and eastern ends of the district, office towers are supposed to be arranged in an “L” shape, north-south along 11th Avenue opposite the newly reborn Javits Center and east-west in the low 30’s. Key to the southern corridor are the Metropolitan Transportation Authority railyards, which have yet to go out to bid.

But it’s telling that two landlords are willing to discuss some details of their projects.

Brookfield Properties, which owns most of the block between 31st and 33rd streets on the west side of Ninth Avenue, is drawing up plans for four towers. Mr. Katz, the president of Sherwood, has come up with a schematic plan for his 11th Avenue parcel to show off to financial companies.

Mr. Katz said he would not start without securing an anchor tenant—which is normal practice for office buildings—but both the Sherwood and Brookfield parcels are large enough to provide the 65,000-square-foot trading floors that investment banks like J.P. Morgan Chase are now looking to build at the World Trade Center site.

Scruffy Apr 27, 2007 7:24 PM

2.5 and 1.5 million sq feet. The 2.5 mil is near gauranteed to top 1000 feet. Between this and the going ons of MSG a block away (1360FT, 1200FT), im on overload. This is a skyscraper lovers wet dream contained in 3 continous blocks

NYguy Apr 27, 2007 9:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scruffy (Post 2799936)
2.5 and 1.5 million sq feet. The 2.5 mil is near gauranteed to top 1000 feet. Between this and the going ons of MSG a block away (1360FT, 1200FT), im on overload. This is a skyscraper lovers wet dream contained in 3 continous blocks

And its only a couple of blocks from that planned tower by Sherwood...(and who knows what over the railyards)

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/77190989/medium.jpg
(early Sherwood rendering)

It goes on and on...

ZZ-II Apr 29, 2007 1:21 PM

how many new supertalls are now plannend for midtown?

NYguy Apr 29, 2007 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZ-II (Post 2803072)
how many new supertalls are now plannend for midtown?

With so many developments underway and in planning stages, its hard to say for sure. But I would put 2 at the MSG site, with maybe one at the Brookfield site, and 1 at the Hotel Penn Site. More on the west side of Manhattan.

Scruffy Apr 29, 2007 5:22 PM

Its still too soon to know, but right now it looks like a minimum of 5 1000ft +
Brookfield 1
Sherwood
Penn 1 and 2
Hotel Penn

but mostly speculation, very educated guesses and leaked renders

NYguy Apr 29, 2007 5:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scruffy (Post 2803400)
Brookfield 1
Sherwood
Penn 1 and 2
Hotel Penn

Yeah, the MSG site looks to be the only sure thing as of now. But we are only a few months (possibly weeks) away from confirmation on the others...

Adyton Apr 29, 2007 7:09 PM

Wow... 8-9 new supertalls by 2012?

Combine 5-6 new supertalls in Midtown with WTC's 3 new supertalls (4 almost), you have 8-9 supertalls perhaps by 2013.... incredible!

Now, we'll have to see if the designs for Mid-town are as good as the WTC. With Foster, good chance except we'll be getting two "flat" tops instead of spires for Penn 1 & 2. For Pelli, better chance of getting a lighted crown similar to BofA Charlotte or Intl Finance 2 in Hong Kong. For KPF, hopefully they design like they do for Shanghai & Seoul, Korea with a tapered crown and spire and not a flat top like the Finance Center currently going up in Hong Kong.

Interesting... the possibilities. Overall, the designs by any of the architects should be modern day versions of the ESB, soaring, inspiring towers with lighted crowns & spires... NOT a SOM bland box.;)

NYguy Apr 29, 2007 8:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adyton (Post 2803559)
Overall, the designs by any of the architects should be modern day versions of the ESB, soaring, inspiring towers with lighted crowns & spires... NOT a SOM bland box.;)

I don't think modern day versions of the ESB work well on either of these sites. The design needs to be something that stands out, not another ESB clone. Further over on the west side, maybe. But for MSG, Brookfield, and Penn, too close to the real thing. Maybe one spire out of the bunch.

ZZ-II May 1, 2007 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scruffy (Post 2803400)
Brookfield 1
Sherwood
Penn 1 and 2
Hotel Penn

wow :eek:

thank you very much for the info

btw. how many of these tower are acutally Approved?