SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Homicide stats in Canadian Cities (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143615)

240glt Jul 28, 2009 3:41 PM

^ there were known gang members at the event, even if she wasn't a gang member, it was likely a gang related shooting.

Doady Jul 28, 2009 9:19 PM

Even if she was not a gang member herself, she was obviously willing to associate with gang members, so she was still trash, so I have no sympathy for her or her family. I wish my trash could take itself out too, save me the trouble every week.

drizzo_613 Jul 29, 2009 7:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doady (Post 4379038)
Even if she was not a gang member herself, she was obviously willing to associate with gang members, so she was still trash, so I have no sympathy for her or her family. I wish my trash could take itself out too, save me the trouble every week.

I hope your mother attends a wedding one day with a gang member who happens to be present so i can say the same about her.

NutmeG Aug 2, 2009 2:31 PM

Montreal is now at 17, does anyones have the stats for metro Montreal? Laval seems to have had a few this year.

PhilippeMtl Aug 2, 2009 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NutmeG (Post 4386679)
Montreal is now at 17, does anyones have the stats for metro Montreal? Laval seems to have had a few this year.

Up to 4 since last year, it is always scary when it happens right in the street at 3AM in a very busy corner. Not the kind of news you see a lot in Montreal like in Western canadian cities.

JuelzJones Aug 2, 2009 6:11 PM

Toronto is only at 32.....in 2007 at this time we were at 50

le calmar Aug 2, 2009 9:44 PM

I don't have the numbers for metro Montreal, but I do know that Laval is at 4.

Darkoshvilli Aug 3, 2009 7:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl (Post 4386723)
Up to 4 since last year, it is always scary when it happens right in the street at 3AM in a very busy corner. Not the kind of news you see a lot in Montreal like in Western canadian cities.

And it happened in the Plateau, which is more surprising.

Vaillant Aug 5, 2009 5:55 PM

Mystery body Montreal's 18th homicide of 2009

Last Updated: Wednesday, August 5, 2009 | 12:01 PM ET Comments0Recommend2CBC News
Montreal police are trying to identify the body of a woman found Wednesday morning in a shed near the intersection of Notre Dame and Frontenac streets.

A pedestrian spotted the body wrapped in a carpet, and called police.

Police Const. Anie Lemieux said it is Montreal's 18th homicide of the year, but it's not clear what caused the woman's death.

"An autopsy will be [conducted] today to try to find out the identity of this victim, also to determine the exact cause of death, and when this person passed away," Lemieux said.

vid Aug 5, 2009 9:45 PM

Quote:

Man charged in city’s sixth murder
Jeff Labine | tbnewswatch | August 5, 2009
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/Default.aspx?cid=62762

Police arrested and charged a man with second-degree murder as officers continue to investigate the city’s sixth reported homicide of the year.

Thunder Bay Police patrol members responded to a disturbance call at apartment building at 409 North Edward Street shortly after 8 p.m. Tuesday. Police say the initial 911 call reported that witnesses saw a man in the area with a knife.

"The officers entered the apartment and discovered he had been stabbed in the chest," said Scott Smith, acting deputy chief for Thunder Bay Police. "The man that was arrested was at the scene and patrol officers had reasonable grounds to arrest the individual for the offence."

Police arrested Harold Barr, 49, of Thunder Bay. The suspect was remanded to the district jail following a court appearance and is expected to return to court Aug. 17. The suspect has been formally charged with second-degree murder.

more: http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/Default.aspx?cid=62762
Tally for Northwestern Ontario so far:

January 1: Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug First Nation
January 15: Thunder Bay (1st)
January 23: Thunder Bay (2nd)
February 20: Kasabonika First Nation
March 21: Thunder Bay (3rd)
March 25: Kenora
April 15: Thunder Bay (4th)
May 9: Sioux Lookout
July 8: Thunder Bay (5th)
August 5: Thunder Bay (6th)

If I haven't missed any, that is 10 murders in 7 months. A rate of 4.3/100,000 for the region and 5.5/100,000 for the city of Thunder Bay.

Thunder Bay's worst years for homicide were 1984 and 1992, with 7 each. The city was "Murder Capital of Canada" in 1995 and 1999.

PhilippeMtl Aug 10, 2009 2:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NutmeG (Post 4386679)

Laval is at 7, Montreal at 18. The quiet suburb has now a higher murder rate than evil Montreal. How ironic.

NutmeG Aug 11, 2009 1:53 PM

Maybe so but i wouldnt judge by those stats cause there seems to be an attempted murder everyday in montreal and in laval exept for those murders you dont hear much about gang violence.. i still consider it safer.

Darkoshvilli Aug 11, 2009 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NutmeG (Post 4400237)
Maybe so but i wouldnt judge by those stats cause there seems to be an attempted murder everyday in montreal and in laval exept for those murders you dont hear much about gang violence.. i still consider it safer.

So Laval has a higher efficiency level? ;)

Darkoshvilli Aug 14, 2009 5:37 PM

Montreal at 19

Police are looking for three men after a fight early Friday morning in Montreal East left one man dead.

The three beat up two men near the intersection of Sherbrooke and Paul-Pau streets at about 1 a.m., police said.

Both victims suffered head injuries. One has since died, but the other man is expected to recover.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...l-beating.html

Apparently it took paramedics 45 minutes to arrive after the call has been made. Ridiculous.

grumpy old man Aug 16, 2009 4:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick (Post 4378335)
I doubt the 50-year-old woman murdered at that wedding in Winnipeg was a gang member.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 240glt (Post 4378376)
^ there were known gang members at the event, even if she wasn't a gang member, it was likely a gang related shooting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doady (Post 4379038)

Yikes, nice comment Doady.

The woman did not know the people that were getting married. Apparantly she had recently started dating a man that knew the bride and groom.

It has been reported that the shooting was quite possibly a gang initiation ritual.

Darkoshvilli Aug 16, 2009 1:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli (Post 4406036)
Montreal at 19

Police are looking for three men after a fight early Friday morning in Montreal East left one man dead.

The three beat up two men near the intersection of Sherbrooke and Paul-Pau streets at about 1 a.m., police said.

Both victims suffered head injuries. One has since died, but the other man is expected to recover.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...l-beating.html

Apparently it took paramedics 45 minutes to arrive after the call has been made. Ridiculous.

Well apparently the guy didn't die. Good job cbc. :koko:

NutmeG Aug 21, 2009 11:25 PM

Montreal now at 22.

mylesmalley Aug 22, 2009 4:37 AM

Guess Moncton had it's first yesterday.

JuelzJones Aug 28, 2009 4:29 PM

Toronto is only at 37 down 20 from 2007!

But....shootings are still up and we've had more shootings this year so far then 2005 at this time that year.

blake10 Aug 29, 2009 6:49 AM

Winnipeg is at 18.