SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=170279)

MichaelRyerson Aug 20, 2019 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8651957)
Does anyone know what this mystery thingy is at Griffith Observatory, c.1983 Slide.

I am surprised by its prominent location.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/fzom6T.jpg
eBay

It's obviously some kind of transmitter, right?

Do you think that old pedestal is a hold over from WWII :shrug:



Free night out at the Cocoanut Grove for any noirisher who can find a second photo with this mystery thing. (I tried) I FAILED :(


Sent this to a friend who has worked at the Griffith Observatory for a long time. Thought he might know but he said while it was familiar, he'd have to pass it along to someone 'up the line'. He finally got back to me...

"Hey Michael,

So, I spoke with A****** C*** today, and he said that antenna device was a satellite receiver, from a weather satellite that broad-casted live news from several news sources. He said it was placed on the lawn, around 1970 or so, and there was a receiver in the Hall of the Eye, where it would print out weather updates. Later on, the antenna was replaced with a satellite dish, and they were receiving news from CBS and NASA.

He mentioned that it was dissembled and removed in the late 70s. So, it was a fairly brief exhibit. He did mention that it was a donation from one of the sons of Griffith so, that's pretty interesting.

Hope that helps.

R."

GaylordWilshire Aug 20, 2019 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8663467)
.

A mystery in the West Adams district.


"Los Angeles CA RPPC Photo Postcard Boy in Car Driver's Seat at 2170 W. 25th St.*

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/pNwyZf.jpg
eBay

If the car is any indicator..the family appears to have been rather well off.



The address is on the REVERSE
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/pmM3GH.jpg

GW, I thought you might know what family lived at 2170 W. 25th St.

*2170 W. 25th St. is a block north of W. Adams..near the William Andrews Clark Memorial Library.


https://i.postimg.cc/rmmJyQky/1857redondo-bmp.jpg

2170 W 25th Street was moved to 1857 Redondo Blvd in 1930. As I describe in my history of 2205 W Adams--the house that ate up the block and became the Clark Library--William Andrews Clark Jr. (who built his lover a house nearby, by the way, and gave him a Rolls-Royce) reconfiguered the propety in a big way: https://adamsboulevardlosangeles.blo...ease-also.html

Lwize Aug 21, 2019 1:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHERIFFPAUL (Post 8663836)

There was a Love's BBQ on West Pico between Roxbury and Beverwil, near where I grew up.

They had the best BBQ beans and Texas-style beef ribs!

It opened around 1971-72 and lasted until the late 1990's.

WS1911 Aug 21, 2019 1:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8663467)
.

A mystery in the West Adams district.


"Los Angeles CA RPPC Photo Postcard Boy in Car Driver's Seat at 2170 W. 25th St.*

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/pNwyZf.jpg
eBay

If the car is any indicator..the family appears to have been rather well off.



The address is on the REVERSE
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/pmM3GH.jpg

GW, I thought you might know what family lived at 2170 W. 25th St.

*2170 W. 25th St. is a block north of W. Adams..near the William Andrews Clark Memorial Library.


In this area.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/QQeAWD.jpg
google_earth





Let's take a closer look.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/vxPRBq.jpg

Does anyone recognize what kind of car this is?

It's a British car...or the photograph is flipped. (the steering wheel is on the wrong side for an American car)


.

------

The car is a circa 1912 Packard touring. Packard switched to left hand drive in 1913.

__________

Earl Boebert Aug 21, 2019 4:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WS1911 (Post 8664516)
------

The car is a circa 1912 Packard touring. Packard switched to left hand drive in 1913.

__________

I think you may be right, but to be honest in comparing photos on the web I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between the Packard and the Olds.

Cheers,

Earl

Edit: Looks like the Olds had 12 spoke wheels front and rear and the Packard 10 on the front and 12 on the rear, as does the original picture. So the balance of the evidence says Packard.

ethereal_reality Aug 21, 2019 7:20 AM

A mysterious rppc.

"Los Angeles, California, RPPC, Lo Mauro Pirate Restaurant, Artist Painting."...Undevided Back Pre-1909.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/Z0bu6O.jpg
eBay

Whoever heard of a 'Pirate Show-Boat'? ......Who is Lo Mauro?.....215 S. Spring St. L.A C.........Is L.A.C. the Los Angeles Athletic Club?....

Was 215 S. Spring St. the address of the L.A.C. before it moved to 431 W. Seventh St. in 1912?

$39.99 at eBay

.

BillinGlendaleCA Aug 21, 2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8664712)
A mysterious rppc.


Was 215 S. Spring St. the address of the L.A.C. before it moved to 431 W. Seventh St. in 1912?


.

Nope, but close. The LAAC was in the Stowell Building at 226 Spring, across the street from 215.

Earl Boebert Aug 21, 2019 9:07 PM

LA/CA Mystery Pin
 
Got this in a box lot, anybody recognize what it refers to?

http://www.boebertandblossom.com/LANoir/LApinSmall.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Earl

ethereal_reality Aug 21, 2019 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA (Post 8664731)
Nope, but close. The LAAC was in the Stowell Building at 226 Spring, across the street from 215.

That is close, Bill....This is a long shot...but perhaps the athletic club had a space across the street for special events. :shrug:
(in this case, the 'Lo Maur Pirate Show-Boat')

For the life of me I can't picture what the Stowell Building at 215 Spring St. looked like.



A Question:

Was the Stowell Hotel at 416 Spring connected in any way with the Stowell Building at 215 Spring?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...921/aMlS8u.jpg
seen many times on NLA

.

BillinGlendaleCA Aug 21, 2019 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8665617)
That is close, Bill....This is a long shot...perhaps the athletic club had a space across the street for special events. :shrug:
(in this case, the 'lo maur pirate show-boat' American and Italian dinners)





ALSO TOO...I can't picture what the Stowell Building at 215 Spring St. looked like.


The Stowell building I do remember is the Hotel Stowell at 416 Spring St. .... Were both buildings owned by the same family?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...921/aMlS8u.jpg
seen many times on NLA

Here's the Stowell Block at 226 S. Spring, the 1921 Baists calls it the Germain Building.

https://i.postimg.cc/KzKRq02p/174c80...9-original.jpgvia pocketsights.com/tours/place/The-Stowell-Block-7215#lg=1&slide=0
215 S. Spring doesn't have a label in the Baists map, but it's in between the Hollenbeck Hotel on the corner and the Brode Building at 217. The Stowell Hotel is still at 416 Spring and has been re-purposed as apartments or condos. The Stowell Block was torn down in the early 1940's for of course a parking lot.

ethereal_reality Aug 21, 2019 11:53 PM

.

This photograph of one of the most, if not thee most, famous 'Victorian' mansions in Los Angeles (in this case, Bunker Hill) just popped up on eBay


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/1wMosf.jpg

...................................................................................."MRS. E.B.CROCKER'S HOME-LOS ANGELES CAL. CABINET CARD"

Current Bid...$65.00

If you look closely there might be two women hugging each other up on the fourth(?) floor in the darkened dormer.

.

ethereal_reality Aug 22, 2019 12:13 AM

Speaking of CROCKER. . .


Here is the northeast view from the top of Crocker Bank in 1971.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/BlPtLB.jpg
eBay





I spy the Clampett's Cabin.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...921/JQLAxv.jpg

This was before it was moved to their backyard in Beverly Hills.

.

BillinGlendaleCA Aug 22, 2019 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8665696)

I spy the Clampett's Cabin.

This was before it was moved to their backyard in Beverly Hills.

.

I believe that's the "Hills of Beverly".

Joe Gillis Aug 22, 2019 6:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8665668)
.

This photograph of one of the most, if not thee most, famous 'Victorian' mansions in Los Angeles (in this case, Bunker Hill) just popped up on eBay


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/1wMosf.jpg

...................................................................................."MRS. E.B.CROCKER'S HOME-LOS ANGELES CAL. CABINET CARD"

Current Bid...$65.00

If you look closely there might be two women hugging each other up on the fourth(?) floor in the darkened dormer.

.

Think thats the shadow cast by the woodwork in the gable, does look like 2 people though:haha:

HossC Aug 22, 2019 6:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8664712)

A mysterious rppc.

"Los Angeles, California, RPPC, Lo Mauro Pirate Restaurant, Artist Painting."...Undevided Back Pre-1909.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/Z0bu6O.jpg
eBay

Whoever heard of a 'Pirate Show-Boat'? ......Who is Lo Mauro?.....215 S. Spring St. L.A C.........Is L.A.C. the Los Angeles Athletic Club?....

Was 215 S. Spring St. the address of the L.A.C. before it moved to 431 W. Seventh St. in 1912?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA (Post 8665655)

215 S. Spring doesn't have a label in the Baists map, but it's in between the Hollenbeck Hotel on the corner and the Brode Building at 217.

Here's 215 S Spring Street in the center of this detail, with the corner of the Hollenbeck Hotel at the right (the Hollenbeck is the subject of the full image - link below). The sign is for the Hoffman Cafe, which was run by Meyer L Polaski from the late-1890s to the early-1900s. The address was also home to a saloon, a billiard hall and a ticket broker around this time.

Exterior view of the Hollenbeck Hotel at the intersection of Second Street and Spring Street, Los Angeles, ca.1905

https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/...15SSpring1.jpg
USC Digital Library

Noir_Noir Aug 22, 2019 11:27 AM

:previous:


Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8664712)
Who is Lo Mauro?


With the various names connected with a restaurant/cafe at 215 S. Spring St. the name Lo Mauro pops up just once ... but somewhat later in 1937.


https://i.imgur.com/bE9XARu.jpg
rescarta.lapl.org


Despite the seeming vintage pre-1909 undivided back postcard, a suspicion the picture is from a later period.

The guy painting the mural just doesn't have an early 1900's look to me. :shrug:

Bristolian Aug 22, 2019 5:30 PM

:previous:
I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it but I agree. It just seems like people didn't clown around for the camera like that around the turn of the century. Things must have been much more serious back then.
This may be the second time in a couple of weeks that the undivided postcard back was misleading as to the date. It seems some postcard manufacturers were very rebellious about the divider line well after the time the edict was handed down from the postal service.

ethereal_reality Aug 22, 2019 5:52 PM

I agree, but there is a hint that the postcard is pre-1912.

If L.A.C. does, in fact, stand for the Los Angeles Athletic Club. (which was located across the street from 215 Spring until 1912)
In 1912, the athletic club moved into its new headquarters at 431 W. 7th St.

But perhaps L.A.C. stands for something other than the Los Angeles Athletic Club (the initials used for the club is usually L.A.A.C.)



As a reminder...here is the postcard, again.


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/Z0bu6O.jpg
ASKING $39.99 on eBay

The guy kneeling looks somewhat familiar. Maybe he was in the movies. :shrug:

.

Bristolian Aug 22, 2019 6:26 PM

I think L.A.C. more likely stands for Los Angeles, California. I believe we've previously seen that on vintage items here.

odinthor Aug 22, 2019 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8666456)
I agree, but there is a hint that the postcard is pre-1912.

If L.A.C. does, in fact, stand for the Los Angeles Athletic Club. (which was located across the street from 215 Spring until 1912)
In 1912, the athletic club moved into its new headquarters at 431 W. 7th St.

But perhaps L.A.C. stands for something other than the Los Angeles Athletic Club (the initials used for the club is usually L.A.A.C.)



As a reminder...here is the postcard, again.


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/Z0bu6O.jpg
ASKING $39.99 on eBay

The guy kneeling looks somewhat familiar. Maybe he was in the movies. :shrug:

.

e_r: It's 1935. From the Los Angeles Times of November 15, 1935:

"PIRATE SHIP TO OPEN

The opening of Frank Lomauro's Pirate Show Boat Cafe at 215 South Spring street is scheduled for next Thursday night. The cafe will be used for original productions of unit floor shows. The interior of the cafe is symbolic of a pirate ship."


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.