SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   City Discussions (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Most liberal cheap/affordable cities? (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=240455)

ColDayMan Sep 30, 2019 9:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8702388)
How are we defining "liberal"? I would be surprised if any big city in the Midwest, except maybe Columbus and Indianapolis, is not overwhelmingly Democratic.

The city of Columbus is overwhelmingly Democratic. I don't know about Indianapolis.

Steely Dan Sep 30, 2019 9:43 PM

the midwest sorta defines the "blue urban islands in a rural sea of red" pattern

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...7/41.73/-88.22

even indy looks solidly blue in its core, just like its midwest cousins.

Sun Belt Sep 30, 2019 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8702942)
the midwest sorta defines the "blue urban islands in a rural sea of red" pattern

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...7/41.73/-88.22

even indy looks solidly blue in its core, just like its midwest cousins.

True. Goes back to my OP in the topic:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Belt
Wouldn't just about every midwestern city fit the requirements of your question?


Chef Sep 30, 2019 10:58 PM

The question is whether voting Democrat is the correct marker for a city being liberal. There is a wide range of different types of Democrats. The second question would be what cities have parties to the left of the Democrats (Greens, Socialist Action, etc) that are competitive in city elections? I know that Minneapolis and Seattle do. I don't know beyond that. Beyond that there is the question of whether the way a city votes in general is a good way to determine whether it is liberal or conservative in general. It can also be about how permissive a city is which is different than electoral politics.

SFBruin Oct 1, 2019 12:47 AM

I would imagine that Pittsburgh, PA, would be on this list.

pdxtex Oct 1, 2019 3:09 AM

its probably someplace in upstate new york. buffalo, rochester....or syracuse! have you seen how nice of a house for cheap you can get in syracuse? in town, 1830 farm house on half an acre with a little out building and barn? 99k....https://www.redfin.com/NY/Syracuse/3.../home/72892247

JManc Oct 1, 2019 3:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxtex (Post 8703234)
its probably someplace in upstate new york. buffalo, rochester....or syracuse! have you seen how nice of a house for cheap you can get in syracuse?

Upstate NY isn't as cheap as many would believe it is. Sure, there are super cheap houses bordering inner city Detroit prices but they are in bombed out areas but a nice house in a nice neighborhood in a good school district is at least 200-250k in an area with depressed wages and crazy taxes.

pdxtex Oct 1, 2019 3:48 AM

OP said nothing about livability. if were talking "nice" cities that are liberal and affordable. mmm, that probably minneapolis, columbus, indy, grand rapids. places like that.

pj3000 Oct 1, 2019 5:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8702942)
the midwest sorta defines the "blue urban islands in a rural sea of red" pattern

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...7/41.73/-88.22

It seems like just about any city of 50k population or greater is blue, even if the surrounding county is pinkish or red.

even indy looks solidly blue in its core, just like its midwest cousins.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFBruin (Post 8703143)
I would imagine that Pittsburgh, PA, would be on this list.

Somewhat... Pittsburgh definitely has very liberal neighborhoods, but I wouldn’t classify the city as liberal (Democratic, yes. But more the labor union Democrat style). And certainly not the region... very conservative outside of Allegheny County.

In the 2008 election, the metro area was among the only regions that turned more red (along with places in W Virginia and Mississippi). Because... you know, Obama is a black man. Pittsburgh is still Appalachia, and quite racist in much of the region.

And it’s becoming less and less affordable as the west coast techies move in.

pj3000 Oct 1, 2019 5:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxtex (Post 8703265)
OP said nothing about livability. if were talking "nice" cities that are liberal and affordable. mmm, that probably minneapolis, columbus, indy, grand rapids. places like that.

You think Indianapolis is nice?

And I don’t think that Grand Rapids would be considered liberal. Nor would Columbus.

SFBruin Oct 1, 2019 7:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj3000 (Post 8703326)
In the 2008 election, the metro area was among the only regions that turned more red (along with places in W Virginia and Mississippi). Because... you know, Obama is a black man.

You live there, so you probably know more about the region than I do. I just know from my aunt living there that the city is pretty education-focused and still relatively affordable.

pj3000 Oct 1, 2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFBruin (Post 8703345)
I just know from my aunt living there that the city is pretty education-focused and still relatively affordable.

Oh yeah, I would definitely agree with that

pdxtex Oct 1, 2019 1:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj3000 (Post 8703327)
You think Indianapolis is nice?

And I don’t think that Grand Rapids would be considered liberal. Nor would Columbus.

its got historically positive population gain, an unemployment rate under 4 percent and its a state capital and isnt rife with crime. thats what most cities strive for. carry on.

pj3000 Oct 1, 2019 1:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxtex (Post 8703437)
its got historically positive population gain, an unemployment rate under 4 percent and its a state capital and isnt rife with crime. thats what most cities strive for. carry on.

You think Indianapolis is nice?

Shawn Oct 1, 2019 1:44 PM

Maybe not a first choice, but satellite Boston and Providence cities like Worcester, Lowell, Fall River, and Pawtucket are all super liberal (the New England type, not the California type too), and shockingly affordable - especially given how close they are to Boston. Providence itself is even affordable. Not as affordable as some of the Midwest cities already mentioned, but still quite doable.

Steely Dan Oct 1, 2019 1:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxtex (Post 8703437)
isnt rife with crime.

indianapolis had a homicide rate nearly as high as chicago's last year (18.3 per 100K vs. 20.8 per 100K).

and indy did a city/county uni-gov merger decades ago. if chicago and cook county were consolidated like indy/marion county, chicago's homicide rate would actually be much lower than indy's.

can we now say that chicago isn't rife with crime too?

iheartthed Oct 1, 2019 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj3000 (Post 8703439)
You think Indianapolis is nice?

Indy's PR game is solid.

Centropolis Oct 1, 2019 3:23 PM

fuck indianapolis :haha:

Vlajos Oct 1, 2019 3:47 PM

Indianoplis is referred to as Naptown for a reason. It is horribly boring and generic. And as Steely points out, it is not a low crime city.

montréaliste Oct 1, 2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centropolis (Post 8703600)
fuck indianapolis :haha:

My middle finger tells me you don't like Indianapolis.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.