SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Business & the Economy (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=169)
-   -   The Metro Vancouver Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138123)

Mike K. Sep 24, 2007 4:50 PM

The Metro Vancouver Retail Thread

**Please use this thread to discuss retail/commercial storefront topics.

What's the deal with the Mac store that may be going into one of the new towers proposed for downtown?

SpongeG Sep 24, 2007 9:20 PM

on some mac forum it was announced that Apple was finally opening an Apple Store in the has yet unconstructed Jameson House

Vancouver is one of the last cities (it feels like anyway) to get a real Apple Store

would be nice if it was more than a rumour though

odd location perhaps? or smack dab in the middle of a new retail area?

Rusty Gull Sep 24, 2007 9:39 PM

It's a shame that Vancouver still does not have an Apple store. In the case that the store isn't setting up in the under-construction Jamieson House, I wonder what the hold-up is? Greater Toronto is already home to, I believe, three stores. And judging by the number of iBooks I see at cafes and libraries, Metro Vancouver certainly isn't a Mac-unfriendly environment.

SpongeG Sep 24, 2007 9:54 PM

yeah it is odd - there is that ugly mac store on west broadway next to staples - its so run down - i am sure if steve jobs saw it he would cringe

seattle has a number of them and they are always packed with people

204 Sep 25, 2007 1:19 AM

Indeed what is the hold-up? Meh, it's their loss in the end though. I just won't buy any of their hyped-up, proprietory, over-priced products.

NewfBC Sep 25, 2007 3:32 AM

The hold up is pretty obvious... lack of decent retail space. There are a lot of stores missing from Vancouver I'm sure want to be here.. Apple, Sephora, Quicksilver, Abercrombie, etc etc.

Ron.

deasine Sep 25, 2007 4:30 AM

I'm quite updated with the Apple stores in Van and so far everything's just rumors. Apple recently announced their opening of a flagship store in Laval... I'm sure we will find an Apple coming to Vancouver soon especially with microsoft having an office in Richmond (trust me it's relevant).

Vancouver needs more stores!!!!! Let's start off with Apple, then Holliser. I will post up any Apple rumors when I get them.

SpongeG Sep 25, 2007 5:23 AM

i know its in the suburbs but surrey central with its renos is full of empty spaces and its a great mall and the SFU and office crowd would support some good shops in there - plus the connection or ease to skytrain is a plus

NewfBC Sep 26, 2007 2:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 3073295)
i know its in the suburbs but surrey central with its renos is full of empty spaces and its a great mall and the SFU and office crowd would support some good shops in there - plus the connection or ease to skytrain is a plus

I dunno... To me that says something (not good) about Surrey... Malls like Pacific Centre, Oakridge, even Coquitlam Centre.. have waiting lists for spaces.

Ron.

SpongeG Sep 26, 2007 10:14 PM

well its filling up now that all the renos are done

guildford is an ok mall and seems to the main mall but its so ugly and car centric - at least surrey central is on the skytrain - just like metrotown

if i were choosing a spot i would choose it over guildford

osirisboy Sep 27, 2007 5:32 PM

what about those additions planned for pacific centre along georgia street (where the canada line station is planned for and where the glass atrium is)?

anybody know whats planned for there? that would be a good spot for apple and quicksilver? does anybody know when the mall might start that expansion.

SpongeG Sep 27, 2007 11:48 PM

theres a quicksilver store in new westminster at that outlet mall...

NewfBC Sep 28, 2007 4:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 3079651)
theres a quicksilver store in new westminster at that outlet mall...

I'm sure that was their first choice for the GVRD.. or is it Metro Vancouver now? :)

There's a decent new Quicksilver store in Victoria too.

Quicksilver's Canadian headquarters is on the North Shore.. and before they had any stores in BC.. they had a location in Calgary... weird.

Ron.

SpongeG Sep 28, 2007 6:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewfBC (Post 3080204)
I'm sure that was their first choice for the GVRD.. or is it Metro Vancouver now? :)

There's a decent new Quicksilver store in Victoria too.

Quicksilver's Canadian headquarters is on the North Shore.. and before they had any stores in BC.. they had a location in Calgary... weird.

Ron.

haha well its an outlet mall so thats a draw in itself

there are also outlets or factory stores for - Esprit, LeChateau, Mexx. Tommy Hillfigger, Garage, La Senza, Aldo, Point Zero, Guess plus some others

leftside Oct 5, 2007 4:44 PM

Gastown updates

A few Gastown updates:

1) Yet another designer clothing store is coming to Gastown on Water Street. It replaces one of the "art gallery" stores. I can't remember it's name, but it looks like a designer jean store

2) The old Inform store on Water Street is getting a makeover. Not too sure what is going in there...

3) The Lamplighter on Water Street is getting another makeover

4) Looks like KoolHaus will be moving to Water Street on Nov 1st

SpongeG Oct 7, 2007 9:58 PM

2) The old Inform store on Water Street is getting a makeover. Not too sure what is going in there...

I heard it was going to be B&B Italia - a high end furniture store - they are opening a store in vancouver :)

http://www.bebitalia.it/

http://bedzine.com/blog/wp-content/u...06/charles.jpg

yaka yooka or whatever it is called has opened in International Village - its some kind of Japanese Dollar store

can't find the real name but it looks like Daiso from the outside

could be the turnaround???

officedweller Oct 10, 2007 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 3097993)
I heard it was going to be B&B Italia - a high end furniture store

The website says that Inform is one of the Canadian distributors for B&BItalia - So Inform will probably operate the store. Makes sense rather than subleasing/leasing the space to a competitor (i.e. Koolhaus)

SpongeG Oct 26, 2007 7:03 AM

agent provocateur has signage and stuff up - looks like it might be close to opening...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...g/DSC02577.jpg

djh Oct 26, 2007 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 3127835)
agent provocateur has signage and stuff up - looks like it might be close to opening...

What's the location?

hollywoodnorth Oct 26, 2007 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djh (Post 3128683)
What's the location?

Across from Italian Kitchen on Alberni