SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Homicide stats in Canadian Cities (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143615)

theman23 Mar 27, 2024 9:42 PM

Not sure how accurate that is. Quebec and NFLD should probably swap colours and BC should be the same colour as Alberta.

BlackDog204 Mar 28, 2024 8:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theman23 (Post 10173757)
Not sure how accurate that is. Quebec and NFLD should probably swap colours and BC should be the same colour as Alberta.

It's completely inaccurate.

The map would give one the idea that Yukon is the deadliest province/territory (untrue), and that Nunavut is relatively tame (not true). Manitoba is the province with the highest homicide rate, but on the map, they label Saskatchewan as the color of the highest.

Acajack Mar 28, 2024 1:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theman23 (Post 10173757)

I don't know what year the stats are from. Some recent years NL has been higher than QC.

BlackDog204 Mar 31, 2024 7:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 10174036)
I don't know what year the stats are from. Some recent years NL has been higher than QC.

Doing colours on a chart for one single year, is impractical. Places like the Territories and PEI have too few people to make an accurate sample size. It must be done over multiple years.

An example would be Nova Scotia's 2020 per-capita murder rate. It's much higher than any other year due to the worst massacre in Canadian history. Excluding the massacre, the murder rate is relatively low in the province.

The same goes for places like Yukon and Nunavut. If one man kills his family of 5, then himself one year, it would spike the per-capita murder rate up, considering there are less than 45,000 people in each territory.

A ten year average gives a more accurate reading.

JuelzJones Mar 31, 2024 9:01 AM

Toronto - 18
Winnipeg - 10
Edmonton - 9
Montreal - 8
Ottawa - 7
Calgary 3
Vancouver - 1

harls Apr 1, 2024 1:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuelzJones (Post 10175427)
Ottawa - 7

6 of them by one guy.

Luisito Apr 4, 2024 4:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harls (Post 10175686)
6 of them by one guy.

Has anything been said about what the motives behind that masscre were?

kwoldtimer Apr 4, 2024 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luisito (Post 10178107)
Has anything been said about what the motives behind that masscre were?

One is unlikely to hear anything official before the trial.

kwoldtimer Apr 12, 2024 2:44 PM

Fatal shooting, apparently targetted, Kitchener suburbs last night.

Acajack Apr 12, 2024 2:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 10178269)
One is unlikely to hear anything official before the trial.

Mental health issues I am almost positive. Sure perhaps there was a dispute over rent or something else as he was a tenant in the family's home.

Still, who kills six people like that including little babies if they're in their right mind?

ssiguy Apr 12, 2024 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuelzJones (Post 10175427)
Toronto - 18
Winnipeg - 10
Edmonton - 9
Montreal - 8
Ottawa - 7
Calgary 3
Vancouver - 1

I appreciate the stats but I don't think they represent what is going on in the real world. Some cities take in the vast majority of the Metros like Calgary while some a very small amount like Victoria hence you don't get a true reflection of the murder rate of the "cities" due to potentially not including higher murder rate areas which are often in lower income suburbs. Victoria is a safe city but it can go years without a murder but that is due to the city itself being very wealthy and only having a population of 90,000. Nearly all the murders in Greater Victoria are outside the city itself.

I think a better metric is stats for the metropolitan area.

kwoldtimer Apr 12, 2024 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 10183219)
Mental health issues I am almost positive. Sure perhaps there was a dispute over rent or something else as he was a tenant in the family's home.

Still, who kills six people like that including little babies if they're in their right mind?

Arguably, most people who knowingly and gratuitously take a life have mental health issues but in most cases they remain criminally liable.

Luisito Apr 13, 2024 9:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssiguy (Post 10183576)
I appreciate the stats but I don't think they represent what is going on in the real world. Some cities take in the vast majority of the Metros like Calgary while some a very small amount like Victoria hence you don't get a true reflection of the murder rate of the "cities" due to potentially not including higher murder rate areas which are often in lower income suburbs. Victoria is a safe city but it can go years without a murder but that is due to the city itself being very wealthy and only having a population of 90,000. Nearly all the murders in Greater Victoria are outside the city itself.

I think a better metric is stats for the metropolitan area.

Fair point. I agree with you.

In the case of WInnipeg, all the homicides are concentrated in a couple of inner city areas making them some of the most dangerous areas in the country.

kwoldtimer Apr 20, 2024 12:39 PM

52 year old man shot and killed yesterday in Manor Park neighbourhood of Ottawa in what police describe as a targeted shooting. The location is directly across the street from Rockcliffe Park.

JonHiseler Apr 22, 2024 11:30 PM

Halifax just had its 3rd homicide of the year this afternoon. A teenage boy was stabbed in the parkade of the Halifax Shopping Centre.

begratto Apr 23, 2024 9:13 PM

Quebec as a whole (population : 9M) is at 22 so far this year :

Montreal GMA total (pop 4.5M) : 17
* Island of Montreal (pop 2.0M) : 8
* Montreal suburbs off-island (pop 2.5M) : 9
Quebec City (pop 0.8M) : 2
Elsewhere in Quebec (pop 3.7M) : 3

SKvKREW Apr 25, 2024 7:15 PM

3 more for Toronto today. All separate incidents.

ssiguy Apr 25, 2024 9:09 PM

The metros of both London & Windsor have yet to record their very first but the thing that really surprises me is that neither has Regina. Regina and Sask in general tend to have, with Manitoba, the highest murder rates in the country.

manny_santos Apr 25, 2024 9:20 PM

White Rock has had two random stabbings around the Pier in the past week or so. The victim in the first attack survived but the second victim did not. It appears both stabbings may have been committed by the same individual as the suspect descriptions are very similar.

YOWetal Apr 25, 2024 9:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 10183581)
Arguably, most people who knowingly and gratuitously take a life have mental health issues but in most cases they remain criminally liable.

Lots of murders are business related and arguably rational
Alcohol is a big factor in domestic murders which I don't think qualifies as a mental illness.