SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg Roads & Infrastructure (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205856)

bomberjet Mar 4, 2016 6:57 PM

^yup. The reason they went Rothesay over Chief, instead of vice versa, was so people and kids don't have to go under the bridge. They deem it safer for people to go over, so there is no potential for being trapped by hooligans.

esquire Mar 4, 2016 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 7359143)
^yup. The reason they went Rothesay over Chief, instead of vice versa, was so people and kids don't have to go under the bridge. They deem it safer for people to go over, so there is no potential for being trapped by hooligans.

I didn't think that would really be an issue around there? I figured they went that route because it's just cheaper to go over.

bomberjet Mar 4, 2016 7:18 PM

The designers told me it was for pedestrian safety. Instead of going through a tunnel like structure, they went over so it's more like the street on either side. That was the reasoning.

EastK Mar 4, 2016 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 7359173)
The designers told me it was for pedestrian safety. Instead of going through a tunnel like structure, they went over so it's more like the street on either side. That was the reasoning.

Either way is better than traffic lights though!

bomberjet Mar 4, 2016 8:24 PM

Absolutely.

roccerfeller Mar 5, 2016 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 7358886)
^ The unfortunate thing about it is that a through route via Moray would take a massive load off Route 90, but alas... the damage was done a long time ago. I don't comprehend how that land was not set aside for future transportation use.

I wonder, did it have something to do with how all these regions were their own cities before the Unicity thing? Like each city prior developed however they wanted and then after Unicity there was a patchwork sort of thing that happened which explains why modern day/era Winnipeg has the roads the way it does?

Or am I completely mistaken here :haha:

cllew Mar 5, 2016 1:07 AM

Most if not all of the land required for the inner ring road way was acquired by the Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg who had the role of providing regional street services pre Unicity days. Some of the routes were suppose to line up with existing streets that I guess would have been widened with buyouts / expropriation.

rrskylar Mar 5, 2016 1:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roccerfeller (Post 7359595)
I wonder, did it have something to do with how all these regions were their own cities before the Unicity thing? Like each city prior developed however they wanted and then after Unicity there was a patchwork sort of thing that happened which explains why modern day/era Winnipeg has the roads the way it does?

Or am I completely mistaken here :haha:

The Twin Cities metro is made up of over 200 incorporated municipalities, roads in the metro are efficient, modern and generally well kept, there was never any kind of amalgamation. Winnipeg suffers from poor planning or lack thereof, the road system here is quite frankly embarrassing. Winnipeg's road system is designed for a city of 500K, at some point politicians foolishly came to a conclusion here that roads weren't important.:koko:

Urban recluse Mar 5, 2016 2:35 AM

Agreed.

jmt18325 Mar 5, 2016 4:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrskylar (Post 7359695)
The Twin Cities metro is made up of over 200 incorporated municipalities

And is home to almost 4M people. It's in no way comparable to Winnipeg.

rrskylar Mar 5, 2016 7:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmt18325 (Post 7359809)
And is home to almost 4M people. It's in no way comparable to Winnipeg.

What is relevant is that proper planning was done in the Twin Cities, in 1980 Minneapolis had a population of 370K while St. Paul was 270K, Winnipeg at that time was around 560K.

cheswick Mar 5, 2016 1:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrskylar (Post 7359907)
What is relevant is that proper planning was done in the Twin Cities, in 1980 Minneapolis had a population of 370K while St. Paul was 270K, Winnipeg at that time was around 560K.

Not sure the relevance of populations of St. Paul and Minneapolis to the above posters inference that a metro area of 4 million isn't comparable to Winnipeg. St. Paul current population is only 385k and minneapolis is 400k.

buzzg Mar 5, 2016 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheswick (Post 7359953)
Not sure the relevance of populations of St. Paul and Minneapolis to the above posters inference that a metro area of 4 million isn't comparable to Winnipeg. St. Paul current population is only 385k and minneapolis is 400k.

Exactly. I mean Boston's population is technically smaller than Winnipeg if you're just looking at what is technically "Boston" — the metro is 4 million and the capital region is 8 million.

biguc Mar 5, 2016 10:50 PM

I wonder how the costs would compare to trench Moray between Portage and Ness and leave the houses there vs expropriating everything. It would certainly go a long way towards not ruining the neighborhood.

Spocket Mar 5, 2016 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 7358899)
^ Kind of like on Rothesay where a few lucky residents ended up with this as the view out their front window? ;)

http://wfpquantum.s3.amazonaws.com/i...e/15165995.jpg
source: WFP

They also bought those properties knowing full well that sooner or later that was going to be built there.

Kinguni Mar 6, 2016 1:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biguc (Post 7360326)
I wonder how the costs would compare to trench Moray between Portage and Ness and leave the houses there vs expropriating everything. It would certainly go a long way towards not ruining the neighborhood.

Expensive because of the drainage and pumping station needed.

Bluenote Mar 6, 2016 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biguc (Post 7360326)

They built their homes their knowing that maybe in a century a Hwy would be built. Maybe.....
And it's not the lowest traffic volume street right now anyway. It's like the homes on Route 90 that have to put up with the traffic and when they were built it didn't exist. Not talking about the base homes. But the older parts. And now they to will be expropriated when and IF they ever widen route 90.

optimusREIM Mar 23, 2016 11:33 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...tion-1.3504206

So the NDP is pledging to really speed up some infrastructure projects. Not only that but the amount promised has doubled!!!! I wonder where this money is coming from!

Chrisforpm Mar 24, 2016 12:38 AM

The NDP is desperate and it shows. We promise to speed up projects we promised years ago and couldn't get around to doing until now.

jmt18325 Mar 24, 2016 12:42 AM

It's really no different than the PCs promising to lower taxes and increase investment. No one is being realistic.