SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   NHL Season - 2016/2017 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223166)

Denscity May 26, 2016 7:23 PM

NHL Season - 2016/2017

The Vancouver Canucks have just traded Jared McCann away to FLorida for big defenseman Erik Gudbranson.

Mods I entered "NHL" and out came "Nhl" please correct.

Coldrsx May 26, 2016 7:24 PM

The Oilers are but one player away from being contenders.

Pavlov May 26, 2016 7:25 PM

^ Bobby Orr?

Xelebes May 26, 2016 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reesonov (Post 7454340)
^ Bobby Orr?

More like Orr, Harvey, Lidstrom and Langway. Sheesh.

HomeInMyShoes May 26, 2016 7:39 PM

And probably Hasek.

Berklon May 26, 2016 8:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 7454339)

The Oilers better get their shit together soon, otherwise when the novelty of the new arena wears out - it'll be tougher to sell tickets at higher prices and also fill up the extra 2,000 seats.

It will be inexcusable for them to miss the playoffs next season.

Coldrsx May 26, 2016 8:43 PM

We all certainly concur with that statement.

Black Star May 26, 2016 8:55 PM

Yeah...we need a puck carrying defenceman sure. I get this. But the players we do have need to play stronger and with an edge. Get a little violent and get in peoples faces if you want to win games IMO. Need more aggression.

blueandgoldguy May 26, 2016 9:35 PM

Props to Florida for duping Vancouver in that trade. Not only are the getting the better player in McCann but they managed to acquire a 2nd and fourth pick for a crappy defensive defenseman. Benning fails again and the Canucks become a worse team in the present and the future.

http://www.tsn.ca/panthers-take-adva...trade-1.496247

Cyro May 26, 2016 9:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 7454338)
Mods I entered "NHL" and out came "Nhl" please correct.

Done Denscity, Just had to add "Season" to allow for the "Caps"in NHL" to to be added...
:)

logan5 May 27, 2016 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 7454501)
Props to Florida for duping Vancouver in that trade. Not only are the getting the better player in McCann but they managed to acquire a 2nd and fourth pick for a crappy defensive defenseman. Benning fails again and the Canucks become a worse team in the present and the future.

http://www.tsn.ca/panthers-take-adva...trade-1.496247

Look at Erik Gudbranson's ice time in Florida's play-off series against the Islanders. This is a good defenseman. Certainly a much better player than McCann.

You're post really doesn't make any sense.

Mrs Sauga May 27, 2016 1:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logan5 (Post 7454684)
Look at Erik Gudbranson's ice time in Florida's play-off series against the Islanders. This is a good defenseman. Certainly a much better player than McCann.

Looks like he's basing it off of that article he linked.

Dwils01 May 27, 2016 2:08 AM

Any news if the NHL will announce the expansions teams soon. I was hoping to hear about Las Vegas and Quebec. I thought the their seasons might begin this year.

Horus May 27, 2016 1:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwils01 (Post 7454751)
Any news if the NHL will announce the expansions teams soon. I was hoping to hear about Las Vegas and Quebec. I thought the their seasons might begin this year.

I think the expectation was that there would be some announcement (either for or against expansion) prior to the 2016 Draft, which is June 24th.

If I had to guess, I'd think it would happen between the NHL Awards (June 22 - in Vegas, no less) and the Draft

JHikka May 27, 2016 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horus (Post 7454984)
I think the expectation was that there would be some announcement (either for or against expansion) prior to the 2016 Draft, which is June 24th.

If I had to guess, I'd think it would happen between the NHL Awards (June 22 - in Vegas, no less) and the Draft

Indeed. Typically the NHL doesn't like making these sorts of announcements during the playoffs as they normally take away from the on-ice events still ongoing.

Don't get your hopes up over QC. Canadian $ is going to prevent that from happening for the time being i'd imagine. LV seems like a shoe-in, though. There's still the sticky issue of Carolina being perpetually for sale which may hinder some expansion outlooks.

--

The Canucks continue to amaze. As a continuation of earlier threads here Benning has decided to trade one of his younger prospects, and draft picks, for a middling defenceman who, although good, isn't going to be heading your first D pairing. Canucks went from having a poor prospect pool to an even poorer pool in the future.

blueandgoldguy May 27, 2016 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logan5 (Post 7454684)

No, he really isn't. If you look at the advanced stats for the regular season on Gudbranson you would realize he is a mediocre defenseman. Florida took Benning and the Canucks to the cleaners.

Weren't you the one bragging a month or two ago about the Canucks prospects, including McCann as one of those players to look forward to in the coming years?;) It must be tough defending the moves of a GM who is quickly becoming regarded as the worst in the NHL

xzmattzx May 27, 2016 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 7454339)

:haha:

The Chemist May 27, 2016 11:45 PM

I'm really interested to see who the Flames get for their head coach, number 1 goalie, and number 1 RW. The choices they make on these three will probably be the difference between making the playoffs and crashing and burning again.

Denscity May 28, 2016 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyro (Post 7454509)
Done Denscity, Just had to add "Season" to allow for the "Caps"in NHL" to to be added...
:)

Cheers Cyro!

JHikka May 29, 2016 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chemist (Post 7455783)
I'm really interested to see who the Flames get for their head coach, number 1 goalie, and number 1 RW. The choices they make on these three will probably be the difference between making the playoffs and crashing and burning again.

Bishop was already becoming expendable in Tampa thanks to his contract expiring soon but now that Vasilevskiy has proven his worth I think they'll be even more eager to ship him out, particularly as they have a few other contracts expiring in the coming years. Between Vasilevskiy and Gudlevskis they really don't need Bishop in Tampa anymore. Wouldn't be a bad pickup for Calgary.