SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Never Built & Visionary Projects (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=342)
-   -   CHICAGO | The Illinois | 5,280 FT / 1,609 M | 528 FLOORS | VISION (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=120312)

chi-goboy Nov 18, 2006 11:35 PM

CHICAGO | The Illinois | 5,280 FT / 1,609 M | 528 FLOORS | VISION
 
hi im new here! i was wonderin if someone could show a pix of the illinois with the skyline and where is the site if it was built? thx:tup:

M II A II R II K Nov 19, 2006 12:15 AM

This isn't actually a proposal, but maybe someone has some good pix.

Raraavis Jan 8, 2007 9:46 PM

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~rfh...heIllinois.jpg

Grumpy Apr 19, 2008 1:28 PM

I looks like the Burj Dubai is a huge copy of this proposal

JDRCRASH Apr 21, 2008 6:19 PM

I like it much better than the Jeddah Tower...

TorancisOMP May 27, 2008 2:25 AM

Here how the mile long tower will look in the skyline.
:yes:



http://www.wired.com/images/slidesho...es/chicago.jpg

JDRCRASH May 27, 2008 2:50 AM

Damn, now that......is TALL.:sly:

Beautiful, but tall.

Chicagoguy May 27, 2008 2:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorancisOMP (Post 3576160)
Here how the mile long tower will look in the skyline.
:yes:



http://www.wired.com/images/slidesho...es/chicago.jpg

Wow that would stick out so bad. If it ever gets built we need to have many others that are large like that just so that it fits in! But maybe Chicago in 2050? Who knows? But it wouldnt be in the space anymore since that is now accupied!

cbotnyse May 27, 2008 2:54 AM

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...miley/eek3.gif

Patrick May 27, 2008 4:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy (Post 3495879)
I looks like the Burj Dubai is a huge copy of this proposal

How? Just because Burj Dubai is very tall dosnt mean its copying The Illinois.

JDRCRASH May 27, 2008 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 3576456)
How? Just because Burj Dubai is very tall dosnt mean its copying The Illinois.

Thank you for sparing me from pointing out the obvious. Grumpy, I would be specific on what you mean by that.

TorancisOMP May 27, 2008 9:33 PM

I think all the architects and developers of Chicago land should get together and make this tower happen.

America 117 May 28, 2008 12:56 AM

why was this tower never built?

Chicagoguy May 28, 2008 2:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by America 117 (Post 3577898)
why was this tower never built?

They never built it because there wasnt a need for that amount of office space here at the time, and when it was drawn out, there had never been a tower near that tall and franky they werent sure if they could build it!

schwerve May 28, 2008 2:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by America 117 (Post 3577898)
why was this tower never built?

because it was never a real proposal, it was frank lloyd wright playing around seeing what a mile tall building would look like.

cbotnyse May 28, 2008 1:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schwerve (Post 3578060)
because it was never a real proposal, it was frank lloyd wright playing around seeing what a mile tall building would look like.

how do you know this? is this your opinion?

Steely Dan May 28, 2008 2:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbotnyse (Post 3578568)
how do you know this? is this your opinion?

it's common knowledge that frank lloyd wright's mile high proposal for chicago was merely a design exercise and it never approached being a "real proposal". this was just a flight of fancy of a brilliant mind........ architectural day-dreaming.

in fact, i'm always a bit surprised that some people actually mistake this old fantasy from FLW for being a serious proposal.

cbotnyse May 28, 2008 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 3578692)
it's common knowledge that frank lloyd wright's mile high proposal for chicago was merely a design exercise and it never approached being a "real proposal". this was just a flight of fancy of a brilliant mind........ architectural day-dreaming.

in fact, i'm always a bit surprised that some people actually mistake this old fantasy from FLW for being a serious proposal.

thanks, I really didn't know how serious it was.

I thought I've read before that this proved a tower could be built at this height and FLW hoped to see it happen someday.

Chicago Shawn May 28, 2008 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbotnyse (Post 3578813)
thanks, I really didn't know how serious it was.

I thought I've read before that this proved a tower could be built at this height and FLW hoped to see it happen someday.

It was a visionary exercise drawing up a mile high tower plan that could theoretically be built using the most advanced technology at the time; regardless of whether or not it was practical. For example, the proposed tower included 56 atomic-powered elevators.

Nowhereman1280 Jun 18, 2008 3:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raraavis (Post 2553505)

I purchased a full-scale print of this bad boy at a garage sale the other day for $10. The guy immediately began telling me how cool it was since the Chicago Spire is now being built and all this other partially correct info about Chicago Spire. I resisted the urge to correct him and patronized then walked home with my brand new framed FLW The Illinois print in tow.

This was a special edition print done for the 1994 FLW exhibit at the New York Museum of Modern Art... Anyone else seen one of these prints?

^^^ By the way, this drawing is a lot more impressive in person and to scale. its nearly 4 feet high...


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.