SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian 2011-2012 NHL season discussion thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191956)

MrOilers Jun 23, 2011 1:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraze (Post 5324703)
I find grey goose vodka pretty good

There's nothing wrong with it, but it ain't worth the extra price, man. Try a blind taste test with Grey Goose and some Smirnoff (vodka only - no mixing) and you'll see what I mean.

Anyone else hear that Bryzgalov is asking Philly for a 7 year, $50 Million contract? :haha: :koko:

SpikePhanta Jun 23, 2011 2:27 AM

Canucks awards won, still not as important as the one that got away
Mike Gillis: GM of the Year
Daniel Sedin: Ted Lindsay & Art Ross
Ryan Kesler: Frank Selke
Luongo and Schneider: Jennings

Both sedins on the NHL first ALLstarteam

Nicko999 Jun 23, 2011 5:40 AM

2010-2011 NHL All-Rookie team:tup:

Logan Couture-Jeff Skinner-Michael Grabner
PK Subban-John Carlson
Corey Crawford

Carey Price was 7th in Hart voting... which seems about right.
PK 6th in the Calder race which is also where he should be.

freeweed Jun 23, 2011 2:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpikePhanta (Post 5325394)
Canucks awards won, still not as important as the one that got away
Mike Gillis: GM of the Year
Daniel Sedin: Ted Lindsay & Art Ross
Ryan Kesler: Frank Selke
Luongo and Schneider: Jennings

Both sedins on the NHL first ALLstarteam

Not to take away from the Canucks, but 2 of those were already known, so it's not like they "won" anything last night on that front. They were completely shut out on the 3 big voting awards (Coach, Vezina, MVP) they were up for. Calder and Norris are the only other 2 anyone cares about, and they weren't in the running for those.

The hockey world seems to be shitting on the Canucks right now. :shrug: Except the players, they voted for Daniel.

On a different subject, isn't Oct. 9 rather late for a season start these days? I had the 4th or 5th in mind... maybe my brain is just remembering wrong.

Calgarian Jun 23, 2011 3:36 PM

So anyone think Winnipeg will announce the team name at the draft this weekend?

MrOilers Jun 23, 2011 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeweed (Post 5325836)
On a different subject, isn't Oct. 9 rather late for a season start these days?

I remember the season starting on October 8 just a few years ago.

My guess is that it just depends on the day of the week that October 1 falls on any given year. :shrug:

freeweed Jun 23, 2011 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOilers (Post 5326010)
I remember the season starting on October 8 just a few years ago.

My guess is that it just depends on the day of the week that October 1 falls on any given year. :shrug:

Probably. And the Olympics and other stuff may muck with the starting date. Ah well, I'm just being impatient! :haha:

Speaking of impatient: schedule is released today at 2pm EDT. Just over 20 mins to go, I can't wait!!! We plan several vacations a year around the hockey schedule, yes, it's sad. :haha:

freeweed Jun 23, 2011 6:45 PM

Wow, the NHL came up with one of the worst possible schedules, at least from my selfish perspective.

In a broader sense, the first Wpg-Phoenix game on Oct 15 is being played at the exact same time the Flames are in Toronto. Snoozer game between 2 non-playoff teams vs the most anticipated match-up in 15 years. Who do YOU think will be on HNIC? :rolleyes:

Phoenix plays in Winnipeg Dec 1, which is a Thursday. Again, incredibly awaited game but not on a Saturday. The building that night will be the loudest of the season. Coup for TSN if they can get it, I guess.

I really wanted Don Cherry to comment at one of these games though. Ah well. At least I get to see Winnipeg, they're in Calgary in March. They play in every Canadian city except Edmonton (as predicted by many here).

drew Jun 23, 2011 6:59 PM

^ if Teemu is still playing for the Ducks next year, the Anaheim home game and the Phoenix home game will probably be the most anticipated games, other than the home opener of course...

Edmonton is the only western Canadian team playing in Winnipeg this season...

The_Architect Jun 23, 2011 7:11 PM

Leafs have a whole freaken week between their 2nd and 3rd game..

And then play on New Years Eve in Winnipeg. Players are gonna love that.. :haha:

Flamesrule Jun 23, 2011 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew (Post 5326251)

Edmonton is the only western Canadian team playing in Winnipeg this season...

Yep, that's why Winnipeg isn't playing in Edmonton.

Not too bad of a schedule for Calgary.

Nicko999 Jun 23, 2011 7:25 PM

I remember the Habs having a week off twice after only 8 games 2 or 3 years ago.

We started 8-1-1 that year and the regulation loss was the first game after the week off (vs Anaheim).:rolleyes:

So... who goes first tommorow? RNH or Larsson?

Yume-sama Jun 23, 2011 8:15 PM

Holy crap. WTH Flyers?

Mike Richards to LA for Schenn and Simmonds
Jeff Carter to CBJ for Voracek + Picks

Also, Flames asked Regehr to waive NTC for trade to Buffalo. Why couldn't Richards come to Calgary :( Him + Iginla = Amazing.

Why do I have a feeling the Buffalo trade is for someone useless like Rob Niedermayer :P

freeweed Jun 23, 2011 8:18 PM

Philly has never in the past traded away its core scoring for a bunch of unproven prospects.

*cough* Lindros *cough*

Calgarian Jun 23, 2011 8:19 PM

Flames will try and load up on draft picks and prospects by making trades. Here's hoping we can offload Kotalik, Stajan and Hagman!

Yume-sama Jun 23, 2011 8:19 PM

Richards and Carter leaving is PRETTY devastating to that team. And for some softy players who will only ever be just above average... Simmonds perhaps most potential.

Flamesrule Jun 23, 2011 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yume-sama (Post 5326367)
Also, Flames asked Regehr to waive NTC for trade to Buffalo. Why couldn't Richards come to Calgary :( Him + Iginla = Amazing.

Why do I have a feeling the Buffalo trade is for someone useless like Rob Niedermayer :P

I heard the Flames will be getting Luke Adam and 1st round draft pick.

Also heard that the Flames will be getting Ryan Smyth from the Kings and getting rid of some big contracts.

Yume-sama Jun 23, 2011 8:23 PM

Ryan Smyth, a washed up old player who never found his "game" after leaving Edmonton, with no huge amounts of talent left, PLUS, a $6.5 million cap hit.

Yep, that's a Flame if I've ever seen one.

Nicko999 Jun 23, 2011 8:32 PM

I though it was a joke... Philly traded Carter AND Richards???

HOLY SHIT!!!

MrOilers Jun 23, 2011 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yume-sama (Post 5326378)
Richards and Carter leaving is PRETTY devastating to that team.

Seriously I think they're opening up cap room to sign Bryzgalov to his $7 million per season he's demanding. :koko:

I know the Flyers have needed a good goalie since they said goodbye to Ron Hextall, but Bryzgalov has shit the bed in every playoffs he has played in. He's no better than what they have now.