SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | The Residences at the Ritz-Carlton | 518 FT / 158 M | 48 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107801)

mmikeyphilly Apr 23, 2008 2:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryson662001 (Post 3503973)
That's around the same time that granite countertops became so fashionable LOL The chicken or the egg?

That's true! LOL My kitchen needs to be updated, I'm still looking at this sh**tty formica! yuch:haha:

By the way...what a nice avatar you've got there!! Excellent choice!

Pinoy2.0 Apr 24, 2008 6:25 PM

quick walk-by:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1...c00922bnk9.jpg

Wheelingman04 Apr 25, 2008 3:51 AM

That tower is gorgeous!!!!

Orion1 Apr 25, 2008 6:43 AM

I remember when it seemed to take forever for this baby to rise above the ground, now it is nearly topped out!
:yes:

alasi Apr 25, 2008 4:50 PM

Has there been any hint at all about Mahoney's 1441 project? Looking at Pinoy's photo makes one consider the impact that would have from that vantage point.

Lincolndrive Apr 25, 2008 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alasi (Post 3510195)
Has there been any hint at all about Mahoney's 1441 project? Looking at Pinoy's photo makes one consider the impact that would have from that vantage point.

Funny that you ask about 1441 because I just heard a rumor that we are getting a Waldorf Astoria for the hotel portion. Again, its just a rumor so I have no idea if that will happen.

philliesphinest Apr 25, 2008 6:44 PM

Wasn't the old rumor a Madarin Oriental?

Is there really a need for that much hotel space in this city? I guess getting a big hotel name on board would be enough for construction to begin. That parking lot is such a waste of space.

Hendi Apr 25, 2008 6:58 PM

Quote:

Is there really a need for that much hotel space in this city? I guess getting a big hotel name on board would be enough for construction to begin. That parking lot is such a waste of space.
I've started to wonder about this, it seems like between the hypothetical W and Upknot, the hypothical hotels in Cira South and ACC, the just announced Klimpton, the one in the Architects building, the new Drexel hotel, the possible 1600 Chestnut and the 20 floors of hotel in every other building proposed in the last year that at some point someone needs to find something else to do with building space regardless of how much the Convention Center expands. Also, every single one of these seems to be billing itself as being very upscale, even if there is going to be a huge boom in the hotel business why is there reason to believe that all of it is going to be at the very high end. How many obscenely wealthy people are really going to be coming to trade shows in Philly? Does the Four Seasons really have a waiting list for rooms (not in my experiance...)?

hammersklavier Apr 25, 2008 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philliesphinest (Post 3510492)

Let me see...the Intercontinental's jumped on board the 1601 Vine proposal, the Architects Building and the Robert Morris Building are both being renovated by Kimpton, Starwood wants to put an Aloft in at 15th and Locust (they've already come before the Zoning Board with it), another one in the Gayborhood (this is just rumors), a W at the lot at 12th and Arch, and a Le Meridien...somewhere. The Unknot and Stamper Square proposals feature hotel space, but I don't think any company's latched on to either one (maybe I'm wrong). Drexel's planning a hotel. And, ummm...there's that Aloft by the airport...

Bottom line is, Philadelphia's hotel scene is hot. There aren't enough hotels in the city, and with the construction boom, Cira Centre South, the Convention Center expansion, and the fact that 90% of the office space in the city's full, along with the interest out-of-town firms are newly expressing in the city, will result in the construction of new buildings (like the ACC) and will further increase Philly's hotel need.

skellergroup Apr 25, 2008 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philliesphinest (Post 3510492)
Wasn't the old rumor a Madarin Oriental?

When I got married, there was some event going on at the convention center, and there were NO rooms to block in any hotels in the center city area. None.

So with the expansion I can surely see a need for hotels in terms of volume. Though, speak of the quality of hotel needed....I don't know.

bryson662001 Apr 25, 2008 8:15 PM

Pinoy on 4-25-08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinoy2.0 (Post 3507882)

My photoshop estimate on March 9th.
I think we might be there.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...IMG_1412-2.jpg

winxs Apr 25, 2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skellergroup (Post 3510544)
When I got married, there was some event going on at the convention center, and there were NO rooms to block in any hotels in the center city area. None.

So with the expansion I can surely see a need for hotels in terms of volume. Though, speak of the quality of hotel needed....I don't know.

I agree. On numerous occasions, I have tried to reserve blocks of rooms for out of town employees and contractors coming to work on projects for me. I have a hard time finding anything (at least at the Govt. rate). None of these hi-end hotels will *directly* benefit me, except that they may free up some rooms in some of the mid-range hotels that offer the Govt rate, such as the Marriotts. The Intercontinental will add to the pool of rooms I can use. Also, with the IRS relocating down to 30th St, mid-range hotel space in Cira 2 will get booked up fast. (In a typical Mon-Thurs, the IRS has the need for about 30-50 hotel rooms for out of towners.)

Don098 Apr 25, 2008 11:13 PM

I'm not saying anything profound, but I think that the hotel boom is certainly needed, except I agree that the proposals are disproportionately luxurious, in fact, close to ALL of the proposals are for up-scale.

slow-v6 Apr 26, 2008 6:50 AM

There is not enough hotels! But anyways thanks for the pictures everyone.. I havent been able to get back home since Christmass, been stuck down here in Vabeach working. The Updates and pictures help out alot.. Keep up the good work and GO 76ERS!!

theWatusi Apr 27, 2008 7:15 PM

yesterday morning drive by

another from my walk:

CondoGuru Apr 28, 2008 3:30 PM

Great pics! It's shaping up to be quite an elegant tower imo. Has anyone at all been able to get INSIDE the building to take pics of the views and units themselves? That would be awesome. As far the hotel talk here, I would argue that there are definitely NOT enough high end luxury brands in Philadelphia. The Ritz and Four Seasons are quite possibly the lowest tier properties for both brands and have not had serious updating in over a decade. They have no true competition, so the addition of four or five new luxury brands would be welcome. I had heard the rumor of a Mandarin Oriental at 1441 was pure speculation and there was never any dialogue about that whatsoever. Let's not kid ourselves, Mandarin and Peninsula are the most high end hotel brands in the world...that's overreaching a bit for Philadelphia. Nicer Starwood properties like W and St. Regis would be great if they could actually become reality.

adrgtr8 Apr 29, 2008 4:50 AM

you might want to count the sofitel in with your luxury hotel count

skellergroup May 2, 2008 4:14 PM

Has anybody confirmed if there is a crown lighting scheme on this?

I was at a Phillies game the other day and noticed how the RATR is really starting to demand its place in the skyline.

I am really happy the way this is turning out.

philliesphinest May 2, 2008 5:55 PM

It appears as if the concrete work is completed. I think there are 2 more floors left of steel work which is supposed to be completed by the middle of the month. :banana:

Also the Grand Opening of the new restaurant in the newly remodeled lobby 10 Arts is scheduled for May 19th. My wife and I were in there recently to check out the progresss and were very impressed. The new bar is about 4x the size. :cheers:

Chris Graham May 3, 2008 2:37 PM

I went up to see the views in the Residences about 10 days ago. They were great-- facing Dilworth Plaza and City Hall. They're telling me that closings begin in November, 2008. Has anyone heard anything about who may rent the commercial space (I believe it will be one tenant). I'll ask the sales stafff this weekend in the meantime. Being a Manhattanite, I must say Philadelphia is transforming before our eyes, despite the hovering dark clouds (the sun's behind them even if you can't see it right now). Manhattan, and to a lesser extent Philadelphia, are holding up remarkably well. That being said, the reality of Philly's future represented by the changing skyline and demographics of center city is unmistakable to anyone with some perspective and vision.