SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   [Surrey] 3 Civic Plaza | 164m | 48 fl | Completed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198363)

invisibleairwaves Mar 22, 2012 5:23 AM

[Surrey] 3 Civic Plaza | 164m | 48 fl | Completed

http://www.civicsurrey.com/wp-conten...urytower-1.png

Source: Civic Surrey

Quote:

Originally Posted by Civic Surrey
We have your exclusive first look at the preliminary detailed design for a new tower in the heart of Downtown Surrey. Developed in partnership with the City, Century Group, and Cotter Architects, this project, if completed, could set a new standard for Surrey. Please bear in mind that the design is subject to change and has not yet been approved.

At 47-storeys in height – nearly 155m high – this tower would dominate the developing skyline and rival the height of most buildings in downtown Vancouver. Higher than Vancouver’s third tallest building, the Sheraton Wall Centre, it would only be shorter than Harbour Centre and the Shangri-La.

The development proposal matches both the style and mixed-use precedents set by Vancouver’s Shangri-La. This project will include 225 sq. m. of retail space on the ground level, 4500 sq. m. of office space in the podium, 160 hotel rooms in a side tower, and 320 residential units in the main tower. An entire floor will be dedicated to ballrooms and meeting rooms, satisfying the Surrey Board of Trade’s calls for a conference centre downtown. A stunning “Sky Terrace” is planned at the top of the tower.

Its height, however, is not its most interesting factor. The mixed use design of the building, borrowing also from Central City, will help the project’s success. Central City works because of its mix of tenants, keeping the building and its surroundings bustling with activity throughout the day. With a hotel, conference rooms, retail, offices, and residential, this project could be even more important to the area than City Hall or the new Library.

The unprecedented level of partnership should also help secure this building’s success. Not since the provincial government embarked on the Central City tower has the area seen such a state-led urban development project. Similar to the Woodwards project in Vancouver, the City of Surrey, through its land holdings and development corporation, is partnering with a private firm to launch this ambitious mixed-use project. If the tower comes to fruition, expect to see the City embark on more development partnerships in the future.

Interestingly, the building’s podium appears designed to wrap around the SkyTrain pillars on its east side. The north side of the podium will also incorporate a green wall. Century Group recently said its expects the tower to be completed by 2016.

CoryHolmes Mar 22, 2012 6:09 AM

:slob:

It will be mine. Come to Cory... :slob:

crazyjoeda Mar 22, 2012 6:16 AM

Nice! I really hope this gets built right away.

TheEmotionalstone Mar 22, 2012 6:21 AM

Hopefully by the time the sales centre opens up for this, I will have a down payment ready to go!

I can't wait! :D

CoryHolmes Mar 22, 2012 7:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEmotionalstone (Post 5636988)
Hopefully by the time the sales centre opens up for this, I will have a down payment ready to go!

I can't wait! :D

Hope schmope. That's what organs are for :P

FCE Mar 22, 2012 2:09 PM

Slim is good.

Cypherus Mar 22, 2012 5:57 PM

This tower has almost garnered my interest with respect to a possible pre-sale. It looks like some forum members will be jostling for position when a line up forms for the pre-sales opening. Of course, it's always easy to get overtly excited about a condo which makes you jump into a decision that you may regret later, but this tower is a signature piece of work. It will revitalize that god-awful core, and will be at the centre of what will be an exciting district in 20 years. There are just too many positives that will have run-off effects to the surrounding land value in the area.

Whalleyboy Mar 23, 2012 2:45 AM

Using jhausner model I thought i'd add the new city hall model i have into the some pictures for different angles. plus i used my central model which has its peak added.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...y_boy/CT-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...y_boy/CT-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...y_boy/CT-1.jpg

Cypherus Mar 23, 2012 4:11 AM

^Wow, thanks for putting that together. Looks good.

CoryHolmes Mar 23, 2012 4:17 AM

Those pics and renders only reinforce my desire- nay, need to live in there.

To all of youse who gonna be in line for one, a piece of advice:

Bring yer pads ;)

quobobo Mar 23, 2012 4:19 AM

I'm not sure if this is the fault of the city or the developer, but there's way too much empty space between the building and the library. This is a central area that's largely dominated by surface parking lots and big box stores, the last thing it needs is more distance between destinations for pedestrians.

The tower looks great though!

Whalleyboy Mar 23, 2012 4:37 AM

I wish I had a model of the library to put in there at the same time. But all i had was city hall.

The open area is for the civic plaza thats going in. Civic plaza arent suppose to be small. Look how often they have to take over the rec centres parking lot when holding things at central since its not big enough

WaxItYourself Mar 23, 2012 5:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quobobo (Post 5638337)
I'm not sure if this is the fault of the city or the developer, but there's way too much empty space between the building and the library. This is a central area that's largely dominated by surface parking lots and big box stores, the last thing it needs is more distance between destinations for pedestrians.

The tower looks great though!

It's going to be a local get together area where they are going to be holding quite a few of the parties and such that are currently being held in Holland Park and, as stated by Whalleyboy, the festivities held currently in the Rec Centre parking lot. I don't think having a smaller area to do that with would be very attractive.

TheEmotionalstone Mar 23, 2012 6:43 AM

Is the ramp that is shown going down under 103a ave. for the underground parking?

Whalleyboy Mar 23, 2012 6:52 AM

Its for the parking under the plaza, city hall, and library. its suppose to have 856 parking but i think its a bit more since the librarys underground parking is already built

Although now that you mention it i wonder if there parking is gonna connect to it.

VanCvl Mar 23, 2012 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whalleyboy (Post 5638481)
Its for the parking under the plaza, city hall, and library. its suppose to have 856 parking but i think its a bit more since the librarys underground parking is already built

Although now that you mention it i wonder if there parking is gonna connect to it.

The City Hall parking will connect with the Library parking. This proposal is sexy but I'd almost rather see multiple shorter towers built rather than one tall one to create a civic/campus feel around Surrey Central.

Metro-One Mar 23, 2012 3:12 PM

:previous:Well don't worry, there is a lot more empty / developable land sitting around Surrey Central to fill that wish of yours.

This building matches the new library / city hall square perfectly, and it is exactly what Surrey Central needs to finally give it that extra kick in redevelopment.

If this building is constructed, I feel it will act as a much needed catalyst to demonstrate larger / ambitious projects can go through in Surrey now.

Cypherus Mar 23, 2012 5:55 PM

I went for a walk through the general site area and I couldn't help but notice the sketchy people in the area. We're talking about young males with hoodies over their head and gangland style attire, skater skids, and people who look like they are ready to pounce upon giving them the wrong facial expression. I am not from Whalley core and admittedly avoid it. But I noticed that these type of people seemed to be widespread more so than any other place in Surrey. As such, the area is in need of a serious revitalization at the social level, not just at the development level. Hopefully this building will be the catalyst to start such a process.

red-paladin Mar 23, 2012 7:51 PM

I think it's because Whalley seems to have so many money marts, strip clubs, pawn shops, massage parlours, etc.

I'm not saying disallow them (Although some suburbs like Poco and Pomo do! and it seems to work) but it can't be good to have them all in the same place either.

Nites Mar 24, 2012 4:45 AM

Welcome to Surrey Cypherus