SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   MECCA | Abraj Al-Bait | 601m | 1972ft | 95 fl | T/O (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129985)

Ivan May 2, 2011 2:24 AM

that's impressive
how much are the workers paid? i bet it's $10 a day

11thFloor May 2, 2011 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troubadour (Post 5262116)
Am I the only one who looks at the clock tower and thinks, "1.21 jigawatts!"

To me the clock tower has always suggested something really ominous. The photos of that person on the wall are awesome, but they're giving me vertigo.

photoLith May 2, 2011 5:05 PM

This thing is so gaudy and tacky, its incredible though.

arkhitektor May 2, 2011 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan (Post 5262271)
that's impressive
how much are the workers paid? i bet it's $10 a day

That made we wonder whether they are using cheap foreign labor. Don't you have to be Muslim to enter Mecca? (Not that there aren't other poorer countries where they could find Muslim workers to underpay)

Anyway, are all of the construction workers on the project Muslims?

suburb May 2, 2011 9:03 PM

Moderator - wondering why you removed my post? I simply asked if there was construction disruption given the passing of a very major figure in the family of the largest stakeholder as well as construction management company for this project.

JDRCRASH May 3, 2011 4:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburb (Post 5263537)
Moderator - wondering why you removed my post? I simply asked if there was construction disruption given the passing of a very major figure in the family of the largest stakeholder as well as construction management company for this project.

Well, it is kind of off-topic.

suburb May 3, 2011 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDRCRASH (Post 5264163)
Quote:

Originally Posted by suburb (Post 5263537)

Well, it is kind of off-topic.

A potential disruption in construction is off-topic?

Just to bring everyone in the loop on what I'm talking about, this building is being built by the bin Ladin family.

By the way, those horns for the building look absolutely massive! They're going to look awesome, creating a real Minotaur effect! Anyone know where we can find Theseus?

Tom In Chicago May 3, 2011 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburb (Post 5264735)
A potential disruption in construction is off-topic?

Just to bring everyone in the loop on what I'm talking about, this building is being built by the bin Ladin family.

I was under the impression that most of the large construction projects in KSA are bin Laden run. . . I was also under the impression that the bin Laden family had disowned Osama a long time ago. . .

I certainly wouldn't anticipate a "disruption in construction" either. . .

. . .

suburb May 3, 2011 9:19 PM

post retracted.

Tom In Chicago May 3, 2011 10:09 PM

^OK. . . so this is going to be one of these "fair warning" statements. . . please do not disrupt this thread any further. . . thank you. . .

. . .

Kanto May 13, 2011 12:10 PM

The moon in that one evening picture looks exactly like the steel one that'll be on the top of the building.

JManc May 17, 2011 9:41 PM

Are they going to hoist that crescent in one-piece all the way up for piece by piece?

Roukaya19 May 19, 2011 1:49 PM

Roukaya19 May 19, 2011 1:51 PM

Crolo May 19, 2011 2:39 PM

I think it just looks terrible, it just doesn't fit in that city!

Danny May 19, 2011 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crolo (Post 5283470)
I think it just looks terrible, it just doesn't fit in that city!

I agree with you, Crolo.

It´s ugly and absurd its design. The only thing they pretend is to have a very tall building, and in that historic and religious city it doesn´t fit at all.

Greetings from Madrid, Spain.

MolsonExport May 19, 2011 4:11 PM

^Sounds a bit like the criticisms agains the Eiffel Tower in the 1890s.

Quote:

The tower was much criticised by the public when it was built, with many calling it an eyesore. Newspapers of the day were filled with angry letters from the arts community of Paris.
Wikipedia

We are talking about a building immediately adjacent to the centre of the universe for the world's billion + Muslims, for which the Haj is considered the duty of every able-bodied Muslim.

northbay May 19, 2011 4:22 PM

i think it's spectacular!

if i was going to be nit-picky i would say it creates a 'wall effect' but they might have done that on purpose.

turned out much better than the renderings.

JACKinBeantown May 20, 2011 2:08 AM

Unlike the Eiffel Tower, it's ridiculously gaudy and haphazard, it mixes styles and scales, it places a British clock smack dab in a Middle Eastern desert and has nothing to do with anything... yet somehow I love it.

TANGELD_SLC Jun 5, 2011 9:52 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't clock towers originate in the Muslim world? :shrug: