SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Australia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Australian Population (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136968)

rbowk Aug 27, 2007 7:28 AM

Australian Population

hi
australia for years have wanted th populatio to go up
they are even paying people to have babys now hat payment is $6000 aus
dollers so if you have a child in autralia you get $6000 dollers tha is hw desperate the are
now wat do you think of think do you think it is dam right stupid or well what do you think

Mocholate Aug 27, 2007 6:37 PM

In theory it's a good idea , more taxpayers is good for the country's economy

One worry is that people are having babies just to get a payment.
Which probably is true in some cases, but hopefully enough families put it to good use and give their children a healthy start to life and they grow up to be high tax payers and positive contributers to society

Canadian74 Aug 27, 2007 7:07 PM

If they want people so desperatly, they should promote and ease immigration laws so more people migrate to Aus.

Mocholate Aug 27, 2007 7:14 PM

The laws may be tough, but we have plenty of immigration
We really don't have enough fresh water for these people though :haha:

hk_ayu Aug 28, 2007 3:21 AM

Hopefully the trains in Australia will be as packed as those in Tokyo in the future

rbowk Aug 28, 2007 6:04 AM

yeah true

Austin55 Sep 23, 2007 8:12 PM

If you search Ausrlaia On google,the first thing that pops up is This. the first one Says Immigration to Australia.

rbowk Sep 23, 2007 9:00 PM

hahaha i have noticed that

hk_ayu Sep 24, 2007 12:49 AM

More than thousands of immigrants from Hong Kong have left Australia and moved back to Hong Kong. They are mostly professionals.

Government should think of how to keep the immigrants particularly the professionals, not just simply bring them in. Once the immigrants realise that Australia is not what they imagined at first, they go.

Orfeo Oct 12, 2007 2:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hk_ayu (Post 3070711)
More than thousands of immigrants from Hong Kong have left Australia and moved back to Hong Kong. They are mostly professionals.

Interesting comment, though i'm wondering if you could provide some justification - preferably from a governmental website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hk_ayu (Post 3070711)
Government should think of how to keep the immigrants particularly the professionals, not just simply bring them in. Once the immigrants realise that Australia is not what they imagined at first, they go.

I work in the medical field, which i presume you would define as professional, and those that i work with did not move here without deep consideration into the positives and negatives. The majority i know visited australia for a decent period before decision to immigrate was made. Honestly i don't think i've come across a migrant, recent or otherwise, who has found australian very different to their expectations and/or is desperate to leave. International immigration is continuing at a rate approximately double that of emmigration, so it can't be all bad.

cristian244 Dec 29, 2007 10:59 AM

In Italy our pathetic government until last year gave 1000 euro for any newborn.. so, thousand of morocco immigrants conceive a lot of baby without control

crazyjoeda Feb 26, 2008 1:03 AM

Why would you want your country to grow rapidly or become over populated? First, rapid population growth could strain public resources and infrastructure, which may in the future cause unsustainable city design and urban sprawl. Second, if your country becomes over populated there might not be enough fresh drinking water, hospitals or affordable land.

Australia is a large country with a small population so obviously there is room to grow, but do not worry about being underpopulated. Canada and Australia are both unique because we have lots of land and relatively few people. Take a look at other countries with large populations, China, the USA or India, isn't Australia a better place to live than these countries? The most livable cities in the world come from Switzerland, Australia and Canada all three of these countries have small populations.

BTW, $6,000 for a kid isn't an incentive to have one, unless your an idiot. The average cost to raise a child to the age of 18 is around $100,000.

Shado Mar 14, 2008 12:43 AM

75% of Australian's or their Parents were born overseas, we have always been a country of immigrants. We actually have a negative growth rate locally without immigration, so they're not trying to get the country to grow explosively they're trying to prevent us from going backwards. At the moment there is a major labour shortage across the whole country, the unemployment rate is 4.1% which is basically full employment.

Immigration is promoted quite heavily and is not that difficult, although unless you get in on a refugee program you will require skills. They can't just let everyone in and wind up having to pay for them, or grow too fast.

Orfeo Jul 4, 2008 1:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shado (Post 3414777)
We actually have a negative growth rate locally without immigration.

This is not correct - in fact it has never been correct even when the birthrate was the lowest on record in 2000, and since then the birth rate has increased significantly. You may be thinking of the fact that the birthrate is lower than the theoretical 'replacement rate' of 2.1 kids per couple, but this would only lead to negative growth in many years in the future.

KRW1612 Jul 7, 2008 3:34 AM

G'day everyone.

I'm your man for stats on Australia.

Current estimated population 21,360,000

Largest urban areas as at Dec 2007:

Sydney 4,337,000
Melbourne 3,806,092
Brisbane 1,857,594
Perth 1,554,769
Adelaide 1,158,259
Gold Coast 524,667

Population growth for the 12 months to December 2007 was 331,800
Natural increase (net births less deaths) was 147,400
Increase from net overseas migration was 184,400

At present Australia has a major skills shortage and is bringing workers in from all over the globe to fill positions in almost every industry.

Bergenser Jul 24, 2008 12:45 PM

I hope Australia will continue to increase in the future.
It's such a huge country in area, it would be shame if the population went backwards.
But that's just my opinion. Quality of life is even more important.

SoulTrilogy Sep 12, 2008 12:48 AM

ABS states the brisbane's Total population will be over 3 mill by 2030.

MyFavco Nov 9, 2008 2:20 AM

Brisbane Metro will have 2M in August 2011

This intrigues me greatly so I have spent some time analysing the ABS data which is freely available from their website. The ABS has figures for Brisbane City and the Statistical Division of Greater Brisbane (SD05, which includes Brisbane City, Logan, Redlands, Ipswich, Pine Rivers, Caboolture, Redcliffe).

Reference Source:
3218.0 - Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2006-07

Current Population:
Population of Brisbane City at June 2007: 1,007,901
Population of Greater Brisbane at June 2007: 1,814,235

The average growth rate of Brisbane City between 2002-2007 was 1.9%. The growth of Brisbane City during 2006-2007 was lower at 1.6% which is 15,725 new residents per year.
The growth of Greater Brisbane during 2006-2007 was 2.4%. This equates to 36,021 new residents last year.

Population Projections:
If the Greater Brisbane Area continues to grow at 2.4% then it will hit 1,995,886 people in June 2011. If this logic is correct then the magic 2M mark would be hit in August 2011.
With Brisbane City’s growth rate somewhere between 1.6% to 1.9%, it will hit the 2M mark between 2044 & 2050.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3054/...6467759c_o.jpg

ssiguy Mar 16, 2009 5:30 AM

Quebec has tried to have incentives to bring up the birth rate which is the lowest in the Americas. Its is both short sighted and stupid idea.
The only people who will be seduced into having a kid with money are the ones who need the money and are probably also the ones who can least afford to have one.
It also discourages people from using birth control as $6000 could be the pot at the end of the potential rainbow especially for those who have a child and give it right up for adoption when born.
Children should only be born to parents who want children regardless of income. Raising a child should be a serious well thought decision not considered a short term monetary investment.

YUNEMUS Apr 19, 2009 2:31 AM

You guys wishing Australia's population to grow but this population growth which you wish will bring more and more water crisis to Australia...
According to me Australian goverment has to control population growth at least until they solve the problem..