SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Downtown & City of Portland (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Portland Infill | East of 205 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205822)

NJD Jul 27, 2008 9:42 PM

Portland Infill | East of 205

Portland's least talked about urban renewal area is still in its infancy as far as new development is concerned. Many officials see the area as ripe for a new urban hub with its freeway access, light rail convergence, and plethora of underused land. Getting the ball rolling has been hard, so what can be done?
http://www.pdc.us/images/ura/gateway...-map_thumb.jpg
New parks?
New zoning for denser development?
Tax abatements?
Streetcar?
New street grid?
Cap I-205?
Public art?

Could we make Gateway the Bellevue of Portland?

What do you think?

PDC's website: http://www.pdc.us/ura/gateway.asp

PDC's project map: http://www.pdc.us/pdf/ura/gateway/project-map.pdf

Portland should get its gateway
And Gateway should get its green

Sunday, July 27, 2008
The Oregonian

P lanning geeks like to crow about Portland becoming America's "most European" city. We sure hope that's not Paris they see in our future. We're not that taken with the idea of a high couture core surrounded by slums.

As more and more people -- more and more of whom happen to be wealthy -- crowd toward close-in living, Portland risks driving deepening pools of its poor to the urban fringe. Welfare checks might displace desperate housewives as the signature suburban species.

Our city's best shot at thwarting this trend is the ongoing effort to forge a linked network of thriving live/work centers distant from downtown. Metro, the regional government, has targeted for development a number of such "town centers." It has dubbed just one a "regional center."

Gateway.

In 1954, an ambitious merchant named Fred Meyer opened a shopping center way out on Portland's east flank. Adorning it with an arch, he marked the spot he figured would one day be a glittering "gateway" to Portland.

Half a century later, that glitter -- now green -- may finally be at hand.

Neighborhood activists long have campaigned to attract investment to Gateway. Close to the airport, the area sits at a key urban crossroads where two freeways and two -- soon to be three -- light-rail lines intersect. It's been seven years since the Portland Development Commission proclaimed here an Urban Renewal Area, seven years in which nothing much has happened.

Ted Gilbert thinks he knows why developers are staying away in droves. "It's because Gateway is East Portland," he says, "a place without a brand."

Then one day Gilbert, a developer who owns both land and buildings in the area, found his gaze falling upon the island of 35 lush acres squeezed between the I-84 and I-205 interchanges. And a dream was born.

In short order, Gilbert corralled a design team from Portland State University and a hefty engineering assist from David Evans & Associates, a pledge of $1 million from a private donor, and green lights from the Oregon Department of Transportation, Portland Parks and Oregon State Parks -- all owners of adjoining land, including that sylvan east flank of Rocky Butte.

What's emerging is a vision plan -- Gilbert calls it "Gateway Green" -- for a 200-acre oasis of open space that could be an eastside centerpiece, and the catalyst for adjacent development. Zoning permits towers 150 feet tall.

Mark Rosenbaum, the recently departed -- and already sorely missed -- head of the Portland Development Commission, suggested in his valedictory address that Gateway might be linked to downtown with a linear green urban renewal area ribboning through Sullivan's Gulch, sparking redevelopment all along that transit corridor.

Much more of this, and from Paris to Prague, they'll be competing to be Europe's most Oregonized city.

urbanlife Jul 27, 2008 10:41 PM

I just read this article earlier today, I have known about this wanting to make Gateway into its own urban core. While it has a long way to go and in need of a major boost from the city and developers and companies to make it happen. I do hope one day there is its own defined skyline in that area so that Portland can continue into a path that will allow this region to have multiple centers to help shorten people's commute time to urban centers.

Okstate Jul 28, 2008 2:06 AM

To me, it has an amazing amount of potential. Perhaps greater potential than any other proposed outlying "regional center" i.e. (Tigard, Beaverton, Hillsboro, LO, Milwaukie) And as they mentioned, what a great entrance to the city from the airport.

bvpcvm Jul 28, 2008 6:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJD (Post 3697753)
Planning geeks like to crow about Portland becoming America's "most European" city. We sure hope that's not Paris they see in our future. We're not that taken with the idea of a high couture core surrounded by slums.

What a ridiculous description of Paris.

I think Gateway's potential is mostly in theory. It's SO low-density and the attitude out there is definitely more Gresham than Portland, that I think it'll be a long while before much happens - as evidenced by the lack of anything happening since the district was created. At the southern end, I've often thought that high-density offices could replace all those empty fields (they're just vacant, right?). But closer to where there are more homes (closer to the Gateway station) there'll be a lot of nimby opposition.

urbanlife Jul 29, 2008 12:46 AM

the thing that makes no sense about the Gateway district is how they wish it to develop. The core to the district is the yellow part, but this park that they are talking about is at the very north end where I84 and the I205 come together. I believe there is a suburban shopping center there now. Now that area would make more sense into converting into an urban center.

bvpcvm Jul 29, 2008 1:34 AM

that north area you're talking about - around the gateway station - is the obvious area to really concentrate effort. after all, they crow about 2 freeways and 3 lrt lines and that's where they come together. i think it's a pretty half-hearted effort.

EastPDX Jul 29, 2008 2:15 AM

Sorry but I don't ....

.... think the opinions here are based on the current "on the ground" investments. Sure the area isn't meeting the goals set in place. But where are these empty fields to the South? All the area around the hospital that was open fields years ago are gone (senior high density housing, community center, etc.). The yellow area on the map is a group of auto repair, storage yards, etc. lots that really needs city investment in water and street improvements. This is the area at the core of the URD and without this area getting investment by PDC, this URD is going nowhere. Why wasn't this done right off the bat is the question.

Go out to Gresham Old Town and Gresham Station and tell me again how low-density it is. People on this site really need to get outside their comfort zone sometimes.

Granted all the GOP types in East County are the most conservative types in Multnomah County but even the most "liberal" types I have heard speak have so much to learn for areas of town that they won't go too.

Fear really does drive us. Sad

eP

bvpcvm Jul 29, 2008 4:42 AM

i go out there fairly often - it's the closest in my parents will come, and the furthest out i'm willing to go [oh calm down - this is the internet; we snark]. i don't see much in the way of changes. sure, they built that parking garage and the medical center and a few low-rise garden-style condos. ok, yes, russellville is coming along pretty well. but russellville, while positive, doesn't to me seem to really represent the district.

the "empty" fields i was talking about are south of that little shopping center, east of 97th - across from the new main st max station. maybe they're used for something (a school playground? not sure), but they certainly look like they could be put to better use. imagine getting off the train at the main st station and looking around - you've got a bit of a hike to get to anything.

urbanlife Jul 29, 2008 5:03 AM

the only time I go past Mt Tabor is when I am on my way to Spokane...and yes I did snicker when you said how far you are willing to go away from downtown. Actually I snicker because I have had that conversation with friends before. The whole, what do you feel is still Portland? It is always nice to see what people's personal boundaries are for the city. I personally will never live outside of the inner neighborhoods of the city.

But yeah, if the city wishes to be really committed to this idea then it needs to do more than just draw a border. I saw the work that was done for the whole park space and I really liked that. It would be nice to see the city do some serious planning and computer modeling of zoning laws and really show what they want to see this area become. It is hard to have a vision for an area when it looks like nothing more than a suburb, but the moment you make drawings and models of what you have in mind, then it gives people a chance to dream and imagine....that is sort of the reason why architects and planners do the jobs they do, I say it is time to put all this amazing talent this city has to work and really design a city that we will all be proud of for generations to come.

bvpcvm Jul 29, 2008 6:01 AM

^ where does portland end? as far as i'm concerned, anywhere past 82nd is pretty much hopeless. snobbier friends of mine would say 39th is where civilization ends, but i think that's a little too strong. [i'm joking. mostly. ppl are so sensitive!]

in fact, the area east of i-205 is only recently part of portland. both portland and gresham annexed that area aggressively in the late 80's-early 90's. (as recently as a few years ago, getting sewer services to east portland was still a major issue - it might still be.) so in some sense at least, "old" portland does end somewhere around 82nd or i-205. east of there it's portland in name only.

RED_PDXer Jul 29, 2008 6:52 AM

If transit-oriented development means anything, this is the place where it should occur. MAX trains will be arriving every 3 minutes in the peak hour once the Green Line opens. Few sites with such great transit service exist in the region and are ripe for large-scale redevelopment. It's a great opportunity to introduce the urban street grid, urban densities, and positive urban design conducive to walking and bicycling. Additionally, the Sullivan's Gulch Trail in addition to the I-205 trail make for fairly decent bike connections. 82nd Ave is a bit of a problem, but nothing time can't fix. Fortunately, this City doesn't let up with its quest for betterment. This site screams for a high quality mix of affordable and market rate housing interspersed with office and retail development. Pulling it together will be a challenge, but nothing that hasn't been tackled before.

urbanlife Jul 29, 2008 7:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bvpcvm (Post 3700675)
^ where does portland end? as far as i'm concerned, anywhere past 82nd is pretty much hopeless. snobbier friends of mine would say 39th is where civilization ends, but i think that's a little too strong. [i'm joking. mostly. ppl are so sensitive!]

in fact, the area east of i-205 is only recently part of portland. both portland and gresham annexed that area aggressively in the late 80's-early 90's. (as recently as a few years ago, getting sewer services to east portland was still a major issue - it might still be.) so in some sense at least, "old" portland does end somewhere around 82nd or i-205. east of there it's portland in name only.

82nd is usually always my response. I consider the area between Gresham and 82nd to be Portland's inner suburb. I wouldnt want to live there, but it works for other people. And that is also why I love to go to places to eat that are either North Portland or just past 39th because it loses much of those trendy people looking for trendy places to go and still has good food and beer.

I guess my ideal areas to live would be where I am currently next to downtown or lower North Portland or just past 39th.

JordanL Jul 29, 2008 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanlife (Post 3700758)
82nd is usually always my response. I consider the area between Gresham and 82nd to be Portland's inner suburb. I wouldnt want to live there, but it works for other people. And that is also why I love to go to places to eat that are either North Portland or just past 39th because it loses much of those trendy people looking for trendy places to go and still has good food and beer.

I guess my ideal areas to live would be where I am currently next to downtown or lower North Portland or just past 39th.

A large number of people live in East Portland.

I've lived in East Portland my whole life... I usually consider everything west of 162nd Portland.

I don't know... I guess thinking Portland ends at 82nd or 39th is so yuppie that I can't even take it seriously.

urbanlife Jul 29, 2008 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanL (Post 3701116)
A large number of people live in East Portland.

I've lived in East Portland my whole life... I usually consider everything west of 162nd Portland.

I don't know... I guess thinking Portland ends at 82nd or 39th is so yuppie that I can't even take it seriously.

see, this is why I love this question. People like me, I have lived in Beaverton when I first moved here 4 years ago, then I moved downtown. I have no need for going that far out to the east side, so to me Portland is a much smaller area. But if you are ever out drinking, that is a fun question to ask.

bvpcvm Jul 30, 2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanL (Post 3701116)

well, like i said, it is to some extent yuppitude, but there is also a historical reason for that area not feeling like portland to many people. and, given that we know that that area is much more politically conservative, i think it's valid to say that east portland and the rest of the city are, at least, not very similar.

JordanL Jul 30, 2008 4:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bvpcvm (Post 3702438)
well, like i said, it is to some extent yuppitude, but there is also a historical reason for that area not feeling like portland to many people. and, given that we know that that area is much more politically conservative, i think it's valid to say that east portland and the rest of the city are, at least, not very similar.

Well it's partially because a large portion of the city's families live in East Portland. But you're right.

urbanlife: I know exactly what you're talking about, because for me there's no reason to go out beyond Downtown unless I'm meeting someone who lives in Beaverton, or going to the only Sonic in the Metro area. (*cries*)

To me, I've always tried to avoid Beaverton and Hillsboro, almost completely because the streets seem to have been laid and named with absolutely no regard to city planning out there, which I understand has something to do with the way it's grown.

But if you live in Beaverton, I can't think of many reasons to go east of 82nd. There's a lot of unique natural areas out near Gresham and some very unique bike areas, but other than to experience those I can't think of anything unique to East Portland.

Which in my mind would be a great reason for something like this project.

hymalaia Aug 10, 2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bvpcvm (Post 3700675)

there is a lot of upscale stuff beyond 39th, like Beaumont Village and even Hollywood (Once Whole Foods is in what better proof do you need?). Plus neighborhoods like Alameda, Mt Tabor, etc. The "yuppie border" is a bit hazy and changes depending on how far north/south you are. Cully and Foster Powell are west of 82nd but the vibe there seems more East Portland. I would say 50th ave, with a crest around Tabor to 70th or so is a better, more tolerant "snob border". There is no denying that no matter how nice Tabor is, things get ugly when you get close to 82nd. It totally kills the vibe on Stark in Montavilla, which otherwise still has lots of potential, IMO.

NJD Aug 11, 2008 12:52 AM

I believe that urban regeneration flows like a very slow wave from the city center. Currently we have seen a resurgence in the central city and its surrounding 'streetcar suburbs' of the pre-war eras (remember how shabby and decrepit Hawthorne, Burnside, Mississippi, SE 17th and Alberta were 10-20 years ago), and we have seen a decline in the post-WW 2 neighborhoods during the same time period. I think that this economic downturn will actually spark a new wave of redevelopment from the streetcar suburbs to the 1950's - 80's development tracts of ranch style housing. These areas are hard to imagine as being redevelopable with the auto-oriented public spaces, quick construction techniques, single story homes, separated commercial from residential zoning, and other 'good ideas' from the time when the mighty automobile was king. I see opportunities as this 'ring' around inner-Portland becomes the only affordable land new families and the middle class can obtain. Wander through the residential streets around Foster and Woodstock, or the new 'chinatown' on 82nd to see the early pioneers of this regeneration effort take foot.

urbanlife Aug 11, 2008 12:53 AM

oh I love Montavilla, I like to call that area Little Montana because if you have ever been to any town in Montana, that is what they all look like (generally speaking of course.)

I think what bothers me the most about the Dateway district is where the "center" is suppose to be. I thought it was where the redline makes it's turn north and the blue line continues east, which would make sense if they wish to use the amount of park space they are talking about as a centerpiece, but if the core is meant to be very much south of here, then that is just stupid.

I say plan to one day turn that shopping center area into the urban core and design off of that.which would be much easier than what they are currently trying to do...plus it would help if that actually showed signs of trying to be serious about this rather than saying we like this idea.

Pavlov's Dog Aug 11, 2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RED_PDXer (Post 3700735)
If transit-oriented development means anything, this is the place where it should occur. MAX trains will be arriving every 3 minutes in the peak hour once the Green Line opens. Few sites with such great transit service exist in the region and are ripe for large-scale redevelopment. It's a great opportunity to introduce the urban street grid, urban densities, and positive urban design conducive to walking and bicycling. Additionally, the Sullivan's Gulch Trail in addition to the I-205 trail make for fairly decent bike connections. 82nd Ave is a bit of a problem, but nothing time can't fix. Fortunately, this City doesn't let up with its quest for betterment. This site screams for a high quality mix of affordable and market rate housing interspersed with office and retail development. Pulling it together will be a challenge, but nothing that hasn't been tackled before.

I agree very much with everything you state.

One thing that I wonder about, given the Bellevue potential mentioned earlier, is the possibility to develop the area around a high-density, transit oriented mall which is also car-friendly. I don't necessarily mean a traditional Washington Square, Clackamas Town Center type of mall but more of a mega open-air lifestyle center like The Grove/Farmers Market in LA. Add to the shopping component and permanent market (like Vancouver has done in New Westminster and North Vancouver) right next to the transit hub at Gateway and you could have a winner. Subsidize high-density office and housing as part of the immediate area and developers would probably go for it.

East Portland (east of 50th) and Gresham as a core market is 250,000. There are no serious, consolidated shopping areas in that market. Add to that Eastern Clark County and the basis market would be half a million people.

The Gateway area needs a catalyst. The infrastructure is there. All that's lacking is the vision and the money.