SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   My City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=321)
-   -   6 months of Washington, DC (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198835)

Cirrus Apr 15, 2012 3:07 AM

6 months of Washington, DC

These pictures are not a set, so to speak. They're all from my cell phone rather than a nicer camera, and cover things I've passed while going about my daily business over the past 6 months or so. There's not much rhyme or reason. Most are DC, but some are Arlington.

Enjoy.

Reagan National Airport.

This is a mixed-use church. In exchange for a new sanctuary, they gave air rights to a developer who built affordable housing on top.

Tour bus parking? Actually, tour buses are a big problem here. They drop off bunches of tourists and then don't know where to go, so you see a lot just randomly driving around town killing time.

New Hampshire Ave with its contraflow bike lane.

Library of Congress.

Rosslyn Metro station's long escalator. Longest in Virginia, but there are bigger ones in MD.

Very dapper bike.

Bikesharing.

Occupy is still hanging around. They covered this entire park until early spring, when National Park Service declared that people cannot sleep there. After that the protest dwindled, as tents that had only residential purpose cleared out. The remaining are "public" and house things like the Occupy library and food exchange. There are still folks here every day, but it's lost a lot of energy.

The new MLK memorial.

This is the National Building Museum, a museum of architecture and planning. It's one of the most grand rooms in the city. In these pictures it's decked out for the cherry blossom festival.

IM Pei's famous East Wing of the National Gallery of Art is literally falling apart, so it's under a pretty serious renovation.

This is Rock Creek Park, with the Taft Bridge carrying Connecticut Avenue over the creek.

The end. See you next time.

arkitekte Apr 15, 2012 5:30 AM

Nice thread! The MLK memorial looks good.

RobertWalpole Apr 15, 2012 12:38 PM

Gorgeous!

c@taract_soulj@h Apr 15, 2012 4:29 PM

I'd definitely make another trip to DC again!

Great pics!

summersm343 Apr 15, 2012 11:10 PM

These are great pics! Amazing that they are from a Cell Phone. D.C. is looking really really good. Thanks for sharing.

VTnardo Apr 16, 2012 6:17 PM

I LOVE the Hobbit house on 17th Street!

novaCJ Apr 16, 2012 7:38 PM

Very nice! Definitely much better than your average cell phone pics.

I've wondered what they were doing with the East Wing, I went past it a few times recently wondering why I've never noticed the brick facade before:haha: before realizing they were doing some sort of renovation.

jeremai Apr 17, 2012 2:45 PM

Great thread, Cirrus. The National Building Museum is always my first stop when back in DC. That Clarendon church redevelopment is interesting; never seen anything like that before. It does look a bit odd though.

Private Dick Apr 17, 2012 4:42 PM

Hell of a cell phone camera tour.

On a daily basis of exploration, I'm learning what a cool place the DC area is... and this spring has provided wonderful weather for doing so.

dgreen Apr 28, 2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 5666831)
Tour bus parking? Actually, tour buses are a big problem here. They drop off bunches of tourists and then don't know where to go, so you see a lot just randomly driving around town killing time.

I used to see some buses hanging out in the median of South Capitol Street (between the Douglas Bridge and 295) just before the Suitland Parkway. I would wonder if they were "supposed" to be there then wondered, well, where they were "supposed" to go. Definitely something I never thought about as a kid being dropped off at a museum for a field trip. I didn't even think about where the school bus hung out for a couple hours.

llamaorama Apr 29, 2012 2:41 AM

There should be a central tour bus terminal somewhere in the capitol mall area. I mean it's the national freaking capitol and belongs to every American, lots of people visit at some point in their lives, and tour buses seem to be one of the main ways people come, so why isn't there a hub of some kind?

Such a hub would create a lot of activity in one area, too. Good for the goal of a vibrant city if put in the right place.

I remember my 9th grade school trip from Texas to DC. We had two sets of buses actually-the chartered greyhound buses that drove the long distance leg, and the local DC tour buses that went from our hotel in Virginia into the city every day. We did use the metro once and walked around for some destinations, but most of the time we moved by bus.

volguus zildrohar Apr 29, 2012 2:57 AM

What a nice town.

giovanni sasso May 1, 2012 3:10 PM

good stuff. i like the one of the taft bridge and i always love the metro's escalators. not sure why i've never been to the building museum.

Ex-Ithacan May 1, 2012 5:45 PM

Impressive set of pics Dan. I get to watch that construction project in pic #3 every day, seems to be going up rather quickly. Thanks for the extensive tour.

Austinlee May 1, 2012 7:43 PM

Since he is my avatar, i suppose i should apologize for the east wing of the National Gallery of art: I'm sorry.

I like the idea of bike sharing.

Nice pics. I like the idea of showing cell phone pics which gives a feeling of "being in the footsteps" of where you have been Cirrus.