SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   6th Avenue closure in Calgary's DT Core (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125122)

YYCguys Feb 6, 2007 6:22 PM

6th Avenue closure in Calgary's DT Core

I thought I'd start a new thread, since I've never done it before, to see what the general concensus is regarding the temporary 6th Ave closure to accomodate construction of The Bow.

feepa Feb 6, 2007 6:35 PM

I think theres a few options missing from the poll such as "Who cares"
"yawn"
"a combination of both who cares and yawn"

YYCguys Feb 6, 2007 6:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feepa (Post 2615238)
"yawn"

Those of us who work and/or live in the DT core of Calgary care. It is a major route through the DT core. I guess if you Edmonton folks had a major route closed down in your DT core you wouldn't care?

Bigtime Feb 6, 2007 6:53 PM

Quote:

"yawn"

Personally I like to add a few 'comedy' options to my polls as well. Can I include you in one next time I do a poll up Feepa? :D

Example:

Question "Blah blah blah?"
Option 1: I like it!
Option 2: I hate it!
Option 3: Nuke Feepa from orbit!

I voted for full closure, just get 'er done. Everyone can ride bikes to work come summer time anyways! :tup:

feepa Feb 6, 2007 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigtime (Post 2615287)
Personally I like to add a few 'comedy' options to my polls as well. Can I include you in one next time I do a poll up Feepa? :D

Example:

Question "Blah blah blah?"
Option 1: I like it!
Option 2: I hate it!
Option 3: Nuke Feepa from orbit!

I voted for full closure, just get 'er done. Everyone can ride bikes to work come summer time anyways! :tup:

You may include me in any poll, as long as its for comedic purposes. :banana:

Bigtime Feb 6, 2007 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feepa (Post 2615303)
You may include me in any poll, as long as its for comedic purposes. :banana:

Sir we have a deal! :tup:

MichaelS Feb 6, 2007 7:01 PM

I had a meeting with a few guys from Enmax regarding a minor closure in the DT for some routine maintenance. The subject of Encana and closing 6th Ave came up and they said that with all the media hype about closing 6th, people don't realise that the major headache is going to come when every utility company has to relocate their lines, and therefore lanes of Centre and 1st Street East are going to be dug up for quite a while as well.

Bigtime Feb 6, 2007 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelS (Post 2615315)
I had a meeting with a few guys from Enmax regarding a minor closure in the DT for some routine maintenance. The subject of Encana and closing 6th Ave came up and they said that with all the media hype about closing 6th, people don't realise that the major headache is going to come when every utility company has to relocate their lines, and therefore lanes of Centre and 1st Street East are going to be dug up for quite a while as well.

These are all small prices to pay to get a Foster in the ground! MAN UP CALGARY! :whip:

Habanero Feb 6, 2007 7:05 PM

Quote:

"yawn"

Closing 6th Ave would be much worse than closing a road like Jasper ave, at least from a perspective of traffic amount. So you can imagine why people would be concerned.

Habanero Feb 6, 2007 7:08 PM

I say close it down!

Forget the 1/2 closure, that's a waste of time, you'll still have the headache. I'd rather see the full closure for a year. I mentioned this to my coworkers and they were put off at first, but my boss is looking into the idea of staggerig people's hours if they go for full closure.

entheosfog Feb 6, 2007 7:11 PM

I say close it down as well. People will adapt and adjust their commuting habits over time.

YYCguys Feb 6, 2007 7:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habanero (Post 2615340)
....my boss is looking into the idea of staggerig people's hours if they go for full closure.

That is a super idea! I hope more employers take that initiative and go with it!

mersar Feb 6, 2007 7:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habanero (Post 2615340)
my boss is looking into the idea of staggerig people's hours if they go for full closure.

An excellent idea. Now if only people would embrace this idea without being faced with a possible closure. Imagine if 1/2 the companies downtown staggered their hours, it would solve a lot of the current issues with capacity downtown.

Western Spaghetti Feb 6, 2007 7:28 PM

I voted full closure.

Take the bull by the horns. Plus this may be a catalyst for good things like staggering hours, and cycling etc...

freeweed Feb 6, 2007 7:48 PM

I say close it down, followed by a plea for better spelling. Took me a second to figure out just what the question was asking. We all have broadband now, we can handle those extra letters!

/old fart mode off

Surrealplaces Feb 6, 2007 7:50 PM

Close it down. Pull a Kiprusoff and shut out the traffic!

Just curious.....how do we do a combination of both, is that a trick question? :)

mersar Feb 6, 2007 8:06 PM

He probably meant full closure to start, excavate it fully, then build one side and reopen then do the other.

Just Build It Feb 6, 2007 9:27 PM

Close all of it off, and get it done. It's seems like a no-brainer, but I guess the general public may think differently than we do.

Doug Feb 6, 2007 10:40 PM

Combination: limit full closure to off peak hours and summer. No way can downtown function with one of its two westbound roads out of service.

SpongeG Feb 6, 2007 10:44 PM

a year in the grand scheme of time is but a blip