SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Homicide stats in Canadian Cities (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143615)

Spocket Nov 28, 2008 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cambridgite (Post 3872539)
^ The article does make a point when talking about how Statscan measures the homocide rate on a per capita basis. As I learned in stats, accuracy tends to be distorted when you have a small sample size. Not to say that 9 homocides isn't significant or isn't a red light for a city the size of Saskatoon, but even a difference of 2 or 3 homocides can make a HUGE, statistically significant difference on the per capita figures. What if a village of 100 people had a murder? It would have the highest homocide rate in the nation by far, if comparing it to CMAs. You see what I'm getting at of course.

Good point. It's worth mentioning though that even with that being the case, there is something to be said for consistency.

touraccuracy Nov 28, 2008 9:26 PM

nobody else seems to be updating vancouver's stats so here we go:

we're at 51 for the metro

the most recent was a guy shot in a strip mall parking lot at 10pm on the 25th in surrey. no suspects yet.

http://www.cbc.ca/bc/features/homicide/

that's an awesome link with a map of metro vancouver with markers where all the murders have taken place and they link to dates and stories.

Dmajackson Nov 28, 2008 9:36 PM

Anybody know Halifax's numbers or where i could get them?

All i know is some drug lord has been in the centre of three shootings recently; one at him, one at his dad and one at one of his "people" in front of the IWK of all places!

I dont think any of them were fatal though. Other than those the only murder in the news recently was the murder trail for a native activist's grandson tht killed her back in December...

Knock on wood its been a quite year so far here. The crime rate is staying quietly in the Square and Spryfield....

Wishblade Nov 28, 2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ (Post 3940248)
Anybody know Halifax's numbers or where i could get them?

All i know is some drug lord has been in the centre of three shootings recently; one at him, one at his dad and one at one of his "people" in front of the IWK of all places!

I dont think any of them were fatal though. Other than those the only murder in the news recently was the murder trail for a native activist's grandson tht killed her back in December...

Knock on wood its been a quite year so far here. The crime rate is staying quietly in the Square and Spryfield....

I think were at 7 or 8 this year so far, though I'm not completely sure

Jarrod Nov 29, 2008 1:22 AM

I'm curious to know what Edmonton is at...

vid Nov 29, 2008 5:00 AM

Thunder Bay is still at 0. This could be the first murder free year in some time if we can get through the next month without a homicide. Last year, we had two murders in the last three weeks of December. The first for 2007 was in late January, bringing that year's total to three.

AuxTown Dec 2, 2008 1:13 AM

from www.cfra.com

Quote:

Charges in Double Homicide
Kristi Soble with Josh Pringle
Monday, December 1, 2008

A 20-year-old man has been charged with two counts of second degree murder in connection with last week's fatal shooting in the lobby of a Prince of Wales Drive apartment building.

Ottawa Police charged Matthew Kalli after he was arrested without incident Sunday evening.

Warsame Okie and Hayder Al-Eradi were shot and killed inside the apartment building last Thursday evening.

Autopsies showed Okie was shot three times, and Al-Ebadi was shot once in the back of the head.

Major Crime Investigators are remaining tight lipped about their investigation.

This is the 8th and 9th murders of 2008 in Ottawa.
I don't want to jinx it, but this could be a record low year for Ottawa. Yay....I think.

ssiguy Dec 7, 2008 5:52 AM

22 murders so far in Winnipeg........wow! Considering London is more than half of Winnipeg's population has had just 2 murders so far it makes The Peg pretty bad.
That said 99% of all American cities would kill to have murder rates that low. From the charts that come up from time to time I believe the LOWEST rate in the USA is tied between Portland Or & Austin at 3.3/100k

Raquel DesRosiers Dec 10, 2008 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid (Post 3776180)
My uncle's death last December has been ruled a manslaughter. That brings 2007's homicide total up to 3.

I'm the daughter of Karla Desrosiers. She was the first homicide victim in Thunder Bay of 2007. I was the one who had found her. Reading these comments about victims of violence, are appalling, some of them were not respectful to the families of these victims. I think that you should consider revising your words when talking about them.

This is my first time searching for any information about my mother online, and to find something like this on the internet made me really angry. Put yourself in my position and see how u'd feel.

People do searches on the internet to find out any information about cases which are ongoing, and to find something like this, is quite sickening to me.
Have some respect

Rusty van Reddick Dec 11, 2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raquel DesRosiers (Post 3966334)
I'm the daughter of Karla Desrosiers. She was the first homicide victim in Thunder Bay of 2007. I was the one who had found her. Reading these comments about victims of violence, are appalling, some of them were not respectful to the families of these victims. I think that you should consider revising your words when talking about them.

This is my first time searching for any information about my mother online, and to find something like this on the internet made me really angry. Put yourself in my position and see how u'd feel.

People do searches on the internet to find out any information about cases which are ongoing, and to find something like this, is quite sickening to me.
Have some respect

Condolences for your loss, and I'm sure I speak for everyone on here.

That said, I've read through this thread and cannot see where your mother or any other murder victims are satirized. The poster you quote above had a close relative murdered himself.

Raquel DesRosiers Dec 11, 2008 12:57 AM

Sorry about replying on his message. Will delete it if I can figure out how.

vid Dec 11, 2008 1:06 AM

I think she quoted me to post, I don't think it was directed at me. She was probably referring to that guy in Toronto that gets excited about murder counts. It could also about this thread's existence, counting the number of murders in our cities kind of trivializes things. They were people, not numbers to "brag" about.

There is an edit button in the lower left of the post that you can use to revise it. If you want to delete it, you can send a private message to a moderator or click the little red and white triangle in the upper right and request it be be deleted.

MsMe Dec 11, 2008 1:21 AM

Has anyone here known a person that was murdered or comitted it?

I knew both for me sadly to say. The girl was the person who was murdered that I knew.

And the person I knew stabbed another male.

I went to school with both years ago. I never saw either again after school was done though. We went our different roads.

Anyhow I believe Hamilton is still at 6.

vid Dec 11, 2008 1:48 AM

Aside from my uncle last winter, the parents of one of my brother's friends in the 1990s were involved in a murder-suicide. The husband got mad at his wife for some reason, murdered her then drove into the country and killed himself by driving off the road. It was pretty scary to be 10 years old and hear that a murderer is on the loose in your neighbourhood, and even scarier for it to be people you looked up to as a kid. I didn't really know them though.

A few months after my uncle was killed, my cousin (who was living with us at the time) saw a girl on the bus who was talking about how her boyfriend was the one who did it to a couple other people on the bus, and one of my uncle's closest friends hear quite a few people talking about knowing who did it and whatnot at the bar she frequented up the street. I think she stopped going there for a while because of it.

MsMe Dec 11, 2008 1:53 AM

That's so sad Vid. :(

JuelzJones Dec 11, 2008 4:11 PM

toronto is at 69 about 37 by gun and about 100 for GTA

so far throughout the year there have been about 322 shooting incidents

Spocket Dec 11, 2008 9:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMe (Post 3966509)
Has anyone here known a person that was murdered or comitted it?

Four friends murdered and one serving time for it.
So yeah, I'm all about law and order.

240glt Dec 11, 2008 10:18 PM

A friends' daughter was murdered a while back.

Not only did my friend & his wife have to deal with the loss, but they also had to deal with the investigation & trial, thier marriage failed, my bud developed a serious drinking problem and has had issues with working ever since.

Awful, awful situation.

Biff Dec 12, 2008 3:12 PM

I personally new 3 people that were murdered (new them very well).

vid Dec 13, 2008 8:42 PM

:previous: "knew"

It'll be one year tonight. :(