SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation & Infrastructure (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Possible Bombardier Mark III SkyTrain Concept?!? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188538)

finalcoolman Feb 2, 2011 10:51 AM

Possible Bombardier Mark III SkyTrain Concept?!?

Check this out on Bombardier's website for the now renamed Innovia ART, our SkyTrain technology. On the top of the web page there is what appears to be granted just a concept image but still, is that the design concept Bombardier might be headed to when they do the next full redesign for a new generation of SkyTrain vehicle?

http://www.bombardier.com/en/transpo...01260d8000a648

deasine Feb 2, 2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finalcoolman (Post 5149177)
Check this out on Bombardier's website for the now renamed Innovia ART, our SkyTrain technology. On the top of the web page there is what appears to be granted just a concept image but still, is that the design concept Bombardier might be headed to when they do the next full redesign for a new generation of SkyTrain vehicle?

http://www.bombardier.com/en/transpo...01260d8000a648

It's been covered and announced long ago. Yes, it's the next generation MK III vehicle.

finalcoolman Feb 27, 2011 9:37 AM

Really? Could you point me in that direction?

Chikinlittle Oct 25, 2011 9:55 PM

Here's a concept for Translink Skytrain Mark III...

https://join.translinklistens.ca/S.a...36&m=600000285

It's from their current survey so the link may expire.

DKaz Oct 25, 2011 10:18 PM

I'm doing the survey right now.

https://join.translinklistens.ca/Med...es/B_Mark3.jpg

nname Oct 25, 2011 10:40 PM

Well, I guess we can assume that the 28 cars for the Evergreen is going to be Mark III?

And also, the refurbish option will remove some seats plus install the LED destination signs at the front of the train.

nova9 Oct 25, 2011 11:02 PM

I like how the renders have a reflection from the tiles on the platform, like it'll ever be that clean! :)

Also doing the survey now.

raggedy13 Oct 26, 2011 12:48 AM

^Too true, it's a bit overkill with the reflection. :P Otherwise it's a pretty good rendering.

These MKIIIs look pretty sleek, though I have to admit in terms of aesthetic appeal I think there is a bigger improvement between the old MKIIs and new MKIIs than between the new MKIIs and the MKIIIs. That new paint job just makes such a difference!

Calebb Oct 26, 2011 1:02 AM

What do the insides look like? Will they have that ridiculous single seat at each end of the cab? The worst is sitting in that seat and having someone in the other car sitting the same seat. You're forced to look directly at each other :haha:

trofirhen Oct 26, 2011 1:14 AM

How fast can these things go on a longish stretch between stations?

red-paladin Oct 26, 2011 2:40 AM

I am happy that this cost/benefit analysis is being taken, as I thought refurbishment was a done deal. I suppose if instead of just ordering a few cars for the Evergreen Line, a big order is made for both that and to replace the Mk I cars, it may be a good opportunity for economies of scale.

jlousa Oct 26, 2011 3:14 AM

Think if they are going to go with MK3s they need to go with either 5car trains or a combination of 3 and 2 car sets that can be married for a 5 car train. I'd also be fine with just ordering more MK2.5 trains if they are still available and are any cheaper.

jlousa Oct 26, 2011 3:27 AM

Doubt that the MKIII's would operate any quicker then the existing trains as the system needs to maintain a set schedule. The Airport line in Beijing uses MKII's and they run at 100km, and I believe they are capable of doing 110km/h but there isn't really enough space between most stations to warrant increasing speed. At best you'd shave 1-2 minutes off a run.

Gordon Oct 26, 2011 3:43 AM

Nice sleek looking vehicle. What is the Capacity of these new trains?

Mac Write Oct 26, 2011 4:06 AM

Any more info from the survey? I really would love to see the original Mark I trains (001-115) retired as they are too small for todays needs. Always packed when I see them (and then wait for a Mark II).

Can anyone post all the questions? I didn't get the survey.

Chadillaccc Oct 26, 2011 4:07 AM

Just checked out the bombardier website, sounds like a win-win deal. I hope the cities decide to buy these puppies!

Mac Write Oct 26, 2011 4:13 AM

How many cars would they order to replace the 115? and what types (A/B, C)? Here's an idea.

108 Mark II C cars which would give us 54 Mark II trains, then 8 A/B cars +the 28 for evergreen line for 2 car trains for that line?

Would this work out best? 54 Mark II trains+10 4-car Mark I trains? That seems like a massive capacity upgrade.

Millennium2002 Oct 26, 2011 4:59 AM

Ooo... that looks way too nice and real... xD
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac Write (Post 5456781)
How many cars would they order to replace the 115? and what types (A/B, C)? Here's an idea.

108 Mark II C cars which would give us 54 Mark II trains, then 8 A/B cars +the 28 for evergreen line for 2 car trains for that line?

Would this work out best? 54 Mark II trains+10 4-car Mark I trains? That seems like a massive capacity upgrade.

I'm nominally in favour of that idea; however, i don't know of the economics justify it that much anymore. It may work to retrofit the Mark II second generation trains, since those are like two years old at the least... but the Mark II first generation trains in comparison are like 11 years old now and they probably won't last that long in comparison to their proposed mid-sections.

In addition, when passing by the current maintenance shop, I usually only see 2-car sets being managed one at a time... so adding four car sets may slow down and add extra inefficiencies to the maintenance process. Or we can try some sort of detachable articulation joint like on the West Coast Express, although that poses its own unique problems.

Those concerns aside, the difference in size and spacing issue that may arise between the proposed new C cars compared to the current A-A joined arrangement could be resolved by modifying the design of the newer trains' midsections so that the doors of each specifically match the longer/shorter length of each end of the train.

Mac Write Oct 26, 2011 6:37 AM

Let me continue to get mouths watering. Here are some videos of the new Mark III trains in 2 and 4 car configurations
Video Link

A Model of the new train
Video Link

Another view of the model
Video Link

officedweller Oct 26, 2011 7:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calebb (Post 5456592)
What do the insides look like? Will they have that ridiculous single seat at each end of the cab? The worst is sitting in that seat and having someone in the other car sitting the same seat. You're forced to look directly at each other :haha:

With that big window upt they must have moved the systems housed in the two closets up front to under the floor or in the ceiling of the car - so that would allow for wider seats at the front - but you'd still be staring at the next car when 2 sets are coupled together.

The ability of the maintenace shop to fit a "A-C-B" train would likely determine wehther they buy that configuration. But remember that report posted a while back that said to optimize the capacity of the existing system, they need to start buying "A-C-B" sets now (otherwise they'll have too many 4-car trains (A-B+A-B)and that's not as effective as the 5-car trains (A-C-B+A-B)).