SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Buildings & Architecture (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Comcast Technology Center | 1,121 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209240)

theWatusi Jan 15, 2014 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looper121 (Post 6408287)
The whining about this project absolutely amazes me.

If you want whining, just wait until they have a public meeting with the blue hairs at the apt building next door.

Kidphilly Jan 15, 2014 11:12 PM

So it would appear that Liberty 1 and 2 are blocke by this towere in view from the Art Museum IIWII but interesting as they will vanish from a more know vantage of the Philly Skyline

Londonee Jan 15, 2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 6408150)
I love the height and the jobs this will bring to the city. I hope the design changes though. It's pretty ugly.

Summer! Et tu brute!?

The staunch defender of all Philadelphia buildings--most of which are so ugly I wouldn't wish them on my enemy's hometown--and here, in the presence of Lord Foster, and a building with so much textural nuance that it may not be till 2017 till we fully understand its complexity---this, this building, somehow doesn't pass muster in your eyes?

Kidphilly Jan 15, 2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Londonee (Post 6408345)
Summer! Et tu brute!?

The staunch defender of all Philadelphia buildings--most of which are so ugly I wouldn't wish them on my enemy's hometown--and here, in the presence of Lord Foster, and a building with so much textural nuance that it may not be till 2017 till we fully understand its complexity---this, this building, somehow doesn't pass muster in your eyes?

The more I look at this the more I like it

It is very industrial with a strong tie to media and to art decco

will be interesting to see how the cladding comes but this could have the opportunity to have the industrial staying power of the Hancock Building in Chicago with a strong touch of Rockefeller not yet mentioned in the setbacks

phillyskyline Jan 16, 2014 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kidphilly (Post 6408351)

will be interesting to see how the cladding comes but this could have the opportunity to have the industrial staying power of the Hancock Building in Chicago with a strong touch of Rockefeller not yet mentioned in the setbacks

I agree with your sentiments. I'm just happy this is happening.

AlexG Jan 16, 2014 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kidphilly (Post 6408351)

It is very industrial with a strong tie to media and to art decco

I agree, at first I was unimpressed but I'm actually starting to really like it. I think that the actual physical model looks fantastic and way better than the renderings.

NYguy Jan 16, 2014 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers2001 (Post 6408144)

I think it would look better without the thing on top. I like the first one better.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...?viewGallery=y

supertallchaser Jan 16, 2014 1:07 AM

^same, SOMEONE DO A DIAGRAM

Plokoon11 Jan 16, 2014 1:24 AM

The way the white lines are along the sides make the building appear small, almost like a 20 story building, but its an illusion because with in 2 of the lines is about 3 floors.

dc_denizen Jan 16, 2014 1:24 AM

Congrats to Philly! Soon SF, NY, Philly, and LA will have towers of over 1000 ft under construction.

looper121 Jan 16, 2014 1:32 AM

This thing is absolutely massive when compared to the CC right next to it.

Onn Jan 16, 2014 1:42 AM

I like it actually! It's better than I expected, although I'm not a fan of Norman Foster. They should have picked someone else to design this thing.

The American Commerce Center was a better design for that spot.

http://designphiladelphia.files.word...rce-center.jpg
http://designphiladelphia.files.word...rce-center.jpg

Roadcruiser1 Jan 16, 2014 1:52 AM

Video Link

MJPhilly Jan 16, 2014 3:03 AM

Awesome! I don't love the exterior appearance yet, but past experience has taught me that it's difficult to make a valid judgment from renderings, and there are some really unique interior features.

Huge buildings like this will always seem out of place when you look at a rendering, because they haven't earned their place in the skyline yet. But after months of site preparation, months of foundation digging, and then years of gradual climbing, they become a natural part of the city. The construction becomes so normal that it's strange once they're actually complete.

This building looks much shorter than it is, not just because of the large east-west dimension, but also because of the horizontal structural elements on the outside. They create the appearance of individual stories, even though each one is 4 stories (probably 60-70 feet).

Can't wait to see some digging!

NYC GUY Jan 16, 2014 3:12 AM

The rendering where it's shown in Philly doesn't look to bad. The design needs improving the American Commerce center had a nice design.

Swinefeld Jan 16, 2014 3:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theWatusi (Post 6408304)
If you want whining, just wait until they have a public meeting with the blue hairs at the apt building next door.

Eff them. Just tell them the'll put a bingo hall in it.

christof Jan 16, 2014 3:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 6408150)
I love the height and the jobs this will bring to the city. I hope the design changes though. It's pretty ugly.

Looks like the building is giving the bird.

bucks native Jan 16, 2014 3:48 AM

source: http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...kyscraper.html

It's what it needs to be, an innovative (cleverly designed vertical - unlike those in Silicon Valley) tech center.

Instead of through the middle like a more traditional skyscraper, the taller vertical strip will serve as the building's core, with exterior elevators, placed at one side of the see-through, all-glass tower.

There will be 13 "sky gardens," or three-story atriums, for software designers, engineers, and product developers to collaborate, and the building will be topped by a blade extending about 150 feet higher than the Comcast Center.

Instead of offices, the building will be mostly broken into "lofts."

FlyersFan118 Jan 16, 2014 3:51 AM

Well this is deja vu to about 10 years ago, huh?

I love this. I think the design is effective within the context of the company's broadcast roots and direction. I think the jobs it has the potential to bring to the city are crucial. I think it's LONG overdue we have a 1,000' jawn in Center City.

Just remember to thank Ruben Amaro for ruining the Phillies so Comcast didn't have to pay them what Time Warner pays the Dodgers, thus freeing up money to build this monster.

I don't get the griping. There was a lot of griping about the last Comcast Center when they changed the design from stone to reflective glass and kept the height 25' under 1,000' and all that. Ultimately everyone got over it and got used to its place in the skyline. I think this will be the same way.

Don't complain. Be proud.

duffey Jan 16, 2014 4:07 AM

gotta agree with flyer fan. strong presence, a welcome addition. aside from height, i prefer it design-wise to the ACC