SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   [Halifax] Monaghan Square (6100 Young Street) | 2X54 m | 2x17 fl | Completed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194149)

kph06 Sep 27, 2011 8:35 PM

[Halifax] Monaghan Square (6100 Young Street) | 2X54 m | 2x17 fl | Completed

As Dmajackson mentioned in another thread there is a proposal for the Young St. strip mall on the corner of Young and Monaghan. As there is now an official case with HRM I figured we could start a thread.

Case 17256

Site Plan
Elevations
Rendering 1
Rendering 2

Jstaleness Sep 27, 2011 9:03 PM

This is nice. I am for this without a doubt.

Empire Sep 27, 2011 9:06 PM

Finally this area is on the development radar.

someone123 Sep 27, 2011 9:21 PM

Pretty nice proposal. I would like it more if they found a better solution for the surface parking, but this is still a huge improvement for the area and the development wouldn't be too bad for pedestrians. There's a decent sidewalk around the building as well as along the road.

Empire is correct in pointing out that this is one of the best spots on the peninsula for new development. It's underused but has good transportation connections and is adjacent to an attractive urban area (Hydrostone/North End). As far as I know there are zero residents or heritage buildings nearby, so there probably won't be significant opposition. The Gladstone towers also provide a good precedent for a development like this.

RyeJay Sep 28, 2011 12:55 AM

I'm very pleased to see this area beginning to take-off!

Dmajackson Sep 28, 2011 1:34 AM

Definitely in favour of this proposal. :)

At first blush the 39 parking spots in front of the building was irritating to see but considering the location this is acceptable. With the large sidewalk in front of the commercial units I think there is plenty of safe pedestrian passage and considering adjacent uses on Monaghan Drive having a parking lot next to the road is an okay use.

Seventeen stories is easily the tallest building in the area and while this may or may not be a good thing this part of the peninsula can easily handle the growth with ease. Young Street has four travel lanes, easy access to most of HRM, and three bus routes so stating this will be too dense is pointless.

hoser111 Sep 28, 2011 1:42 AM

This makes a lot of sense!! I have high hopes for this entire district, all the way over to St. Joseph's, Windsor street., Almon/Bloomfield, etc....... despite Blumenthals' backwards views.....

worldlyhaligonian Sep 28, 2011 2:56 AM

Its absolutely incredible. I can't see the real thing being too much of a departure from the rendering because it seems simple to pull off due to its modern cues.

This is exactly what Halifax needs. How long before Watts decries this?

Let's make it happen Halifax, this will be a boon to this whole area!

worldlyhaligonian Sep 28, 2011 2:58 AM

Now if only something like this was proposed for all of the land next to superstore!

halifaxboyns Sep 28, 2011 5:10 AM

This is impressive.
I'm not sure if you agree with me DJ; but this reminds me of a wider version of the building your family lives in; in Calgary?

I am all in favour of this...definitely. Will be at the City office tomorrow - will ask about this.

eastcoastal Sep 28, 2011 10:21 AM

Great step forward... probably would have been better if the surface parking was tucked behind the building. In theory anyway - there are probably complications that made it simpler to just leave the parking in front.

Haliguy Sep 28, 2011 12:05 PM

This would be a huge improvement to that area and makes alot of sense.

mcmcclassic Sep 28, 2011 12:34 PM

I like how you'd be able to see these towers from the 102 when entering the city. The eastlink building already stands out from there and these buildings are considerably taller.

Waye Mason Sep 28, 2011 1:03 PM

Wonderful development. Hope the actual finishes are high quality. Nice dense corridor running from Gladstone to Almon, then this.. maybe we could see some new development on the Used Car Factory 21 block, tie this all together.

I hope the main floor is commercial.

Jonovision Sep 28, 2011 1:13 PM

Nice density for sure. I have to agree that it would have been nice to flip it so there is a continuous street wall with the parking in behind. But overall this is great!

FuzzyWuz Sep 28, 2011 1:16 PM

Am I looking at it wrong or is the rendering from Young and Monoghan flipped?

Empire Sep 28, 2011 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz (Post 5426066)
Am I looking at it wrong or is the rendering from Young and Monoghan flipped?

The view is looking southwest from Young St.

Empire Sep 28, 2011 4:02 PM

6100 Young St.

I would expect to see this type of development stretching to the Windsor St. Exchange in 10+ years. The current land use does not meet expectations for peninsula densification. Car lots are not a necessity on this prime stretch of real estate.

Steele Mazda has moved from Portland St. to Russell Lake and a retail complex will be built on prime land that was occupied by them. I see this same scenario for Kempt. Rd.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/DCW/1265115.html

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...gStHalifax.jpg

worldlyhaligonian Sep 28, 2011 4:44 PM

This isn't really in a residential neighborhood, so I could see it happening...

I am worried about specific members of council. Does this height break any "rules"?

Jstaleness Sep 28, 2011 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian (Post 5426277)
This isn't really in a residential neighborhood, so I could see it happening...

I am worried about specific members of council. Does this height break any "rules"?

Of course it breaks rules. It's over 4 stories tall!!!