SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Downtown & City of Portland (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Rose Quarter Redevelopment (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=152548)

pdxf Apr 20, 2009 11:24 PM

I agree that any updates would need to leave the facade alone. I didn't care for the MARC proposal for that reason. We could leave the exterior and bowl alone, but redo the 'arena' section of it. Depending on the use, perhaps cut a hole in the middle and have a huge atrium surrounded by offices, exhibits, etc...I think there could be a solution that preserves what makes it the Coliseum, but make it usable for a new use.

cab Apr 21, 2009 12:56 AM

http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...orial-Coliseum

Looks like Memorial Coliseum might be saved.

PacificNW Apr 21, 2009 1:16 AM

↑ Outstanding, IMHO.

MightyAlweg Apr 21, 2009 1:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cab (Post 4206473)
http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...orial-Coliseum

Looks like Memorial Coliseum might be saved.

Good! I've always thought the MC was fabulous looking. But then I'm a mid-century mod kind of guy. It would be a shame to demolish it since it's such a great example of its era and type. I feel the same way about the Key Arena up in Seattle, originally the Century 21 Pavilion at the 1962 World's Fair. Really just fabulous looking buildings that have aged very gracefully.

My step-mom in Portland feels the same way too, as she saw both The Beatles and The Supremes play there on separate occasions in '65.

EastPDX Apr 21, 2009 2:21 AM

I Am Stoked!
 
If this is true, going to the Leftbank and making the comment I made could have paid off!

I asked the Mayor not to give up on the Blanchard Site! The PPS District should have contigency plans for a time when the building would be unusable (e.g., like an earthquake, etc.). Basically I wanted him to think "outside the box" on how the city could support the PPS with their issues of the move and support saving the MC and using the best site for the AAA Ballpark.

If he truly said that the "MC, Rose Garden, and the Ballpark can co-exist in the Rose Quarter area" that leaves only the PPS Admin. Building at Blanchard.

(Possible solution: find a temp. location for the admins and also pay them somehow 150%, like was done for the USPO site to the feds)

I AM STOKED!!! :cheers:

Now if only the Blazers can stop Yao and the Rockets tomorrow and win the first of four games.

Ep

urbanlife Apr 21, 2009 7:43 AM

PPS could always move into the old high school at SE 14th and SE Stark, which is not being used and would have plenty of room for them and could use a healthy renovation.

They might want to rethink the deal with Allen and work out something where both stadiums are useful. It makes no sense to not be using both of them to their fullest...either that, or Portland needs to put a booking agency in charge of the MC and make it make more money...but either way, something in that deal should probably change if the MC is to ever improve...which it is do for a facilities renovation.



I dont know if it is just me, but it seems like after the whole sex scandal thing with Adams, he is now trying to act very proactive and getting things done around here, but doing it in a fashion of not pissing anyone off. Which is the case here if they go with the PPS site...I am guessing if no one step forth about this, he would of moved forward just to get this all done, but once a number of people opposed it, he seems to be changing course to keep people happy....it doesnt bother me, just making an observation.

pdxhome Apr 21, 2009 3:01 PM

Personal life aside, I think what your seeing from Mayor Adams is what he has been able to do during his entire political career, and that is get projects done in Portland, or at least make strong attempts and move processes along. A large part of this talent I believe has been due to his ties with former Mayor Katz.

If the MC is to remain and become integrated into the entertainment district I wonder if it will "temper" the otherwise suburban feel that comes with the typical Cordish developments.

urbanlife Apr 21, 2009 6:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhome (Post 4207350)
Personal life aside, I think what your seeing from Mayor Adams is what he has been able to do during his entire political career, and that is get projects done in Portland, or at least make strong attempts and move processes along. A large part of this talent I believe has been due to his ties with former Mayor Katz.

If the MC is to remain and become integrated into the entertainment district I wonder if it will "temper" the otherwise suburban feel that comes with the typical Cordish developments.

that is why I voted for him, I knew I wouldnt agree with everything he wants to do, but at least he tries to get things done.

zilfondel Apr 21, 2009 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhome (Post 4206303)
I have a question, and I do not intend to sound careless about the potential razing of the MC.

Much of the architectual argument in preserving the MC has been focused around uniqueness of the design (bowl inside of a glass box). If the MC were saved, and re-used (athletic center, commercial development, OMSI annex, etc.), then don't all those ideas potentially alter the facade or interior, thereby removing the very architectural components that make the building special?

I remember seeing rendering a long time ago for the MARC where the entire building was stripped and reclad...

It depends on what kinds of renovations are done to that building now, doesn't it? Take a look at what happened to Penn Station. New York has been looking at converting the old post office into the Moynihan Station, a replacement for the old Penn Station. Would this ruin the historic value of the existing post office? I doubt it.

Unused buildings end up as ruins, as they hold no value for anyone to maintain. MC has more value than simply the 'teacup in a box.' It is also greener to renovate it, while preserving what you can.

Anyways, this isn't exactly Fallingwater. Also, it is not on the historic landmarks list yet.

scottyboi Apr 21, 2009 8:58 PM

per the above...wouldn't it be naive to think the MC will remain as it is...all evidence seems to point to the fact that although it sees some use and has a role (limited though it may be), Portland cannot, at this time, support (nor does it need) two sports arena. It would seem that it must change to accommodate whatever use it is put to in the future. Let's face it, even when people save a historic house, they often have to gut the interior to make it livable by modern standards...not alot of people would want to live in 9x9 rooms without closets...

zilfondel Apr 21, 2009 9:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanlife (Post 4207082)
I dont know if it is just me, but it seems like after the whole sex scandal thing with Adams, he is now trying to act very proactive and getting things done around here, but doing it in a fashion of not pissing anyone off. Which is the case here if they go with the PPS site...I am guessing if no one step forth about this, he would of moved forward just to get this all done, but once a number of people opposed it, he seems to be changing course to keep people happy....it doesnt bother me, just making an observation.


Sam has always been extremely proactive and has been instrumental in getting things done. Following the scandal, he hid under a rock for awhile, but it seems like he's gotten back out.

My favorite attribute about him is his willingness to work with people, and make concessions when collaborating. If we're really going to keep MC, then I think this proves it.

pdxhome Apr 22, 2009 5:29 PM

Has found any new plans/renderings out there with a baseball configuration next to the MC? I'm anxious to see what the next round of plans shows.

RoseCtyRoks Apr 23, 2009 7:34 AM

^^ Nothing that I've seen yet, but I would think some renderings won't be too far off, of the co-existing facilities. A serious look into the possibility of the MC, Rose Garden, AND new baseball stadium grouped together, certainly seems to be the theme right now. If the Coliseum can survive, perhaps in a different roll, this all seems like it could be a win-win. ( As long as parking isn't a problem with all the activity! )

From the DJC: http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...d-building-nea

pdxhome Apr 23, 2009 2:55 PM

What concerns me about the whole development plan, from what I have read so far, is trying to fit the baseball field, with the MC, with the parking garages. No matter the design of the baseball field there is a good chance that it will up with an undersized, postage stamp baseball field that could poentially be worse that PGE Park is for baseball right now.

It would be amazing to see the city go all in on this one and pump money into the district.
1. AAA Baseball Field at Blanchard Property - $90 Million ($50 Million Private, $40 Million City)
2. MC turns into the MARC - $90 Million (City)
3. Entertainment/District - $100 Million (Blazers)

It seems like this combination would benefit the most people in Portland, something for everyone. I'm dreaming...

jaxg8r1 Apr 23, 2009 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhome (Post 4211633)
What concerns me about the whole development plan, from what I have read so far, is trying to fit the baseball field, with the MC, with the parking garages. No matter the design of the baseball field there is a good chance that it will up with an undersized, postage stamp baseball field that could poentially be worse that PGE Park is for baseball right now.

It would be amazing to see the city go all in on this one and pump money into the district.
1. AAA Baseball Field at Blanchard Property - $90 Million ($50 Million Private, $40 Million City)
2. MC turns into the MARC - $90 Million (City)
3. Entertainment/District - $100 Million (Blazers)

It seems like this combination would benefit the most people in Portland, something for everyone. I'm dreaming...

Hey, if we are dreaming lets bury I-5, that industrial stuff by the river and the traintracks....Line the river with parks, put in a couple of mid-rise condo towers...ahh..I could go on and on :cheers:

urbanlife Apr 23, 2009 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxg8r1 (Post 4211729)
Hey, if we are dreaming lets bury I-5, that industrial stuff by the river and the traintracks....Line the river with parks, put in a couple of mid-rise condo towers...ahh..I could go on and on :cheers:

and dont forget turning the new eastside streetcar line into a roller coaster line. OMSI to Lloyd in 2.5 minutes of fun. :haha:

jaxg8r1 Apr 23, 2009 4:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanlife (Post 4211761)
and dont forget turning the new eastside streetcar line into a roller coaster line. OMSI to Lloyd in 2.5 minutes of fun. :haha:

Glorious.... haha :)

2oh1 Apr 23, 2009 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanlife (Post 4211761)
and dont forget turning the new eastside streetcar line into a roller coaster line. OMSI to Lloyd in 2.5 minutes of fun. :haha:

OH! MY! GOD! File that under "best idea ever"! I love it! Who says mass transit can't be exciting?

Delaney Apr 24, 2009 2:49 PM

This was posted on Brian Libby's blog. Pretty intriguing ideas for MC, plus cool images:

http://bojack.org/images/machtoncoliseum.pdf

zilfondel Apr 24, 2009 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delaney (Post 4213679)
This was posted on Brian Libby's blog. Pretty intriguing ideas for MC, plus cool images:

http://bojack.org/images/machtoncoliseum.pdf

I met Will Macht briefly at the public Coliseum presentation.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.