SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Downtown & City of Ottawa (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=256)
-   -   Sir John Carling Building Implosion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212258)

JCL Jul 13, 2014 5:38 PM

Sir John Carling Building Implosion

Here's a video of the implosion that I filmed this morning:

Video Link

J.OT13 Jul 13, 2014 8:04 PM

May it rest in pieces.

Kitchissippi Jul 14, 2014 12:35 PM

The Leafs haven't won the Stanley Cup since this building opened. Maybe they'll have a better chance next year now that it's gone. :laugh:

J.OT13 Jul 14, 2014 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitchissippi (Post 6653547)
The Leafs haven't won the Stanley Cup since this building opened. Maybe they'll have a better chance next year now that it's gone. :laugh:

If it works, maybe we should try to find a landmark 1927 building to implode, see if Ottawa gets the same luck! ;)

DarthVader_1961 Jul 15, 2014 1:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.OT13 (Post 6653814)
If it works, maybe we should try to find a landmark 1927 building to implode, see if Ottawa gets the same luck! ;)

Hate to burst your collective bubbles but, the stanley cup belongs in Montreal :)

So what is planned for this site now that this building is down?

acottawa Jul 15, 2014 1:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthVader_1961 (Post 6654657)

Unless plans have changed, "re-landscaping the property, and tranfering the property to Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada"

http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/052/details-eng.cfm?pid=979

MaxHeadroom Jul 15, 2014 1:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthVader_1961 (Post 6654657)

Last I heard PWGSC and AgCan want to return the site to a more agricultural environment, something that an 11 storey building doesn't convey (unless it's a grain elevator).

See pic 2 on this website: http://www.pfs.bc.ca/html_proj/proj_academy.shtml?05 for one of the early ideas, which isn't much different than what was already there, save for the tower going away.

The old cafeteria portion of the building to the northwest was saved despite being mere feet from the demolition. The general idea is to turn this "annex" into some sort of visitors centre for the farm, and perhaps a library in the basement area, as a tribute to the architect who designed the building. Personally I don't think there is anything remarkable about the annex, but I think it was a compromise with the heritage folks. The annex will need all new services and heating plant as the majority of them were fed from the demolished portion of the building and the CEF heating plant has been shut down.

I also read somewhere, maybe elsewhere on this site, that the concrete rubble will be ground up and used to eliminate the cliff to the northeast of the building, making a more gentle slope with landscaping on top. This will open up the farm to the northeast and make it more inviting. At present there is a steep walkway cutting up the cliff from Sherwood Dr/Carling intersection which was always a security concern for AgCan employees coming or going by the 85 bus as that was the shortest route to get to the building.

There was a substantial basement and parking garage under the building. Originally there was talk of saving that, but the implosion has surely obliterated any hope of that. I'm not sure what will need to be done to fill in the hole or how the site will be ultimately regraded.

1overcosc Jul 15, 2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxHeadroom (Post 6654683)
I also read somewhere, maybe elsewhere on this site, that the concrete rubble will be ground up and used to eliminate the cliff to the northeast of the building, making a more gentle slope with landscaping on top. This will open up the farm to the northeast and make it more inviting. At present there is a steep walkway cutting up the cliff from Sherwood Dr/Carling intersection which was always a security concern for AgCan employees coming or going by the 85 bus as that was the shortest route to get to the building.

AgCan hasn't worked there since 2010. The foci of activity on the farm has shifted westward to the area around the Observatory & KW Neatby, so most people get there via the Carling/Maple bus stop now.

ars Jul 15, 2014 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitchissippi (Post 6653547)

Let's hope their curse isn't tied to this building :/

Kitchissippi Jul 16, 2014 3:08 AM

I'm thinking this would be ideal focal site for the Flora Ottawa 2017 proposal. It's got great transit links and would make a great home for a permanent botanical garden as a legacy, adjacent to the already established ornamental gardens, arboretum and tulip beds in Commissioners' Park, as well as the Agriculture Museum. The heritage West Annex building could even become a great entrance pavilion for a greenhouse complex.

Davis137 Jul 20, 2014 3:48 AM

:o woa....