SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Buildings & Architecture (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397)
-   -   CHICAGO | The Elysian | 686 FT / 209 M | 60 FLOORS | COM (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97328)

Wild Onion Mike Mar 11, 2006 6:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STR
That and it has nothing on Grand Plaza Apartments across the street when it comes to ugly. That complex is in a class of its own. They even doubled up the ugly in case you overlooked just one tower.

In fact, I'd boost it up to fugly.
]

Grand Plaza hurts even more than it should because the initial renderings looked so darn promising. A classic case of the final product bursting the hopes promised by a rendering.

The massing around JHC really looks nice BTW. Elysian should fit in well.

Lecom Mar 11, 2006 7:27 PM

Looks a lot like Park Imperial (or whatever that tower is called).

chicubs111 Mar 11, 2006 7:51 PM

OK, whats going on with this tower...what is the delay...this thing has been approved for awhile...financing has already been declared a long time ago as well...the appropriate number of units have been sold...I mean this one should have started before waterview broke ground.:shrug:

TransitEngr Mar 12, 2006 8:50 PM

Who knows... I seem to remember there being a shortage of caisson drill rigs.... is this true? Could the white-hot construction market just have a shortage of equipment and labor that could be delaying some projects???

Any ideas??

Frankie Mar 21, 2006 10:57 AM

posted by danthediscoman @ SSC

I contacted Elysian sales center yesterday and they are saying within 6-12 weeks groundbreaking will take place or as soon as all permits are cleared. They say sales are also very good but no percentage was specified. Good news as I was worried financing fell through or some other obstacles may have arisen.

trvlr70 Mar 21, 2006 3:06 PM

I nominate this as the official "Chicago snail" as a result of how long things are taking to materialize.

Maybe it is in competition with NYC's Freedom Tower?

Step on it!:whip:

Citizen Mar 21, 2006 3:18 PM

Yeah, this and the Clare. They will however be nice additions to the area.

Steely Dan Mar 21, 2006 3:24 PM

^ let's also not forget 1000 S michigan or park 1000, as it's now being called. i believe that is the oldest still active proposal of any significant size that has not begun construction.

but yes, the elysian has been quite the snail too. i've never been terribly enhamored with it, so its constant delays have never been too bothersome for me.

VivaLFuego Mar 21, 2006 5:01 PM

As long as Elysian is the last of these Lagrange faux-deco-pomo residenterial towers, I think it'll be a nice addition, and will be Park Tower's little sister. Precast concrete isnt necessarily ugly.

jcchii Mar 21, 2006 11:05 PM

both this and the clare will do a lot to bulk up that part of the skyline, as evidenced by STR's brilliant image there ^^^^

JTChi01 Mar 22, 2006 3:52 AM

^ Yea that was a hot image. Thanks STR. I like the Elysian and agree that not all buildings planned or constructed today have to be ultra modern like 600 N. Fairbanks to be attractive. The Elysian is much better than the monstrosities that were built in the late 90's, early 00's. And it's French Art Deco exterior will be a beauty if executed right. Chicago does need a variety of buildings that will add to its character.

Thefigman Mar 22, 2006 1:06 PM

Ya know, last night I was surfing the DirecTV, and I hit upon Good Times on TV Land. During the opening sequence, they show this kid riding a bike down the street, and there's the John Hancock sticking out like it's giving the middle finger to Chicago. Thirty years later, it's becoming very difficult to see the lower thirty floors from any angle but the lake.

How times have changed.

Adam186 Mar 24, 2006 1:33 AM

^Ya, just imagine what it will look like in another 30 years.

BVictor1 Mar 24, 2006 3:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thefigman
Ya know, last night I was surfing the DirecTV, and I hit upon Good Times on TV Land. During the opening sequence, they show this kid riding a bike down the street, and there's the John Hancock sticking out like it's giving the middle finger to Chicago. Thirty years later, it's becoming very difficult to see the lower thirty floors from any angle but the lake.

How times have changed.

Well yeah, we've all been enjoying the "GOOD TIMES" when it comes to architecture and construction.

Steely Dan May 16, 2006 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukecuj
Are permits really holding this up ?

possibly. or maybe that's just a convenient cover for the fact that they still don't have all their finacial ducks in a row to begin construction.

either way, i wouldn't be too worried. this one seems like a "when", not an "if" at this point.

VivaLFuego May 16, 2006 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukecuj
Are permits really holding this up ? I'm starting get my waterview jitters again on this one.

I'd be annoyed if I'd put a deposit on a unit years ago and knew i wasnt gonna get it delivered at least for another couple years...

BVictor1 May 16, 2006 8:28 PM

http://w16.cityofchicago.org/permit/...sOverview.html

Application Status

11 E WALTON ST

Description: ERECT AND INSTALL PERIMETER FOUNDATION WALLS, CAISSONS, SLURRY WALLS AND EARTH RETENTION FOR A NEW 60 STORY HOTEL AND PRIVATE RESIDENT HI-RISE BUILDING WITH FOUR BASEMENTS. BUILDING TO HAVE 51 CONDOS AND 188 HOTEL ROOMS.

Total Records: 8

Discipline
Status

ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW
APPROVED

CIVIL ENGINEERING REVIEW
APPROVED

ELECTRICAL REVIEW
APPROVED

FIRE PREVENTION REVIEW
APPROVED

MAYOR'S OFFICE/PEOPLE W/DISAB
APPROVED

STRUCTURAL PEER REPORT REVIEW
APPROVED

STRUCTURAL REVIEW
WAIVED

ZONING REVIEW
INCOMPLETE

colemonkee May 16, 2006 8:40 PM

They need to add a ninth category. It would read something like this:

SKYSCRAPERPAGE REVIEW
"BUILD IT NOW!"

VivaLFuego May 16, 2006 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1
http://w16.cityofchicago.org/permit/...sOverview.html

Application Status

11 E WALTON ST

Description: ERECT AND INSTALL PERIMETER FOUNDATION WALLS, CAISSONS, SLURRY WALLS AND EARTH RETENTION FOR A NEW 60 STORY HOTEL AND PRIVATE RESIDENT HI-RISE BUILDING WITH FOUR BASEMENTS. BUILDING TO HAVE 51 CONDOS AND 188 HOTEL ROOMS.

Total Records: 8

Discipline
Status

ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW
APPROVED

CIVIL ENGINEERING REVIEW
APPROVED

ELECTRICAL REVIEW
APPROVED

FIRE PREVENTION REVIEW
APPROVED

MAYOR'S OFFICE/PEOPLE W/DISAB
APPROVED

STRUCTURAL PEER REPORT REVIEW
APPROVED

STRUCTURAL REVIEW
WAIVED

ZONING REVIEW
INCOMPLETE

four basements? wow. that'll be right up against the subway line running alongside.

SevenSevenThree May 17, 2006 12:56 AM

Whose ass am I gonna have to kick to get this one going? Screw my deposit. I wouldve walked away by now. But patience isnt one of my more appealing virtues.