SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   PARIS | La Défense (13 New Towers) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100549)

Fabb Mar 9, 2006 8:16 PM

PARIS | La Défense (13 New Towers)

http://ladefense.fr/images/defense2015.jpg

Today, the (serious) French daily Les Echos confirmed the rumor : several very tall skyscrapers will be built in La Défense (two or three). One of them will culminate at 400 m (1300 ft) and become the new symbol of La Défense.

For those who can read French :

Quote:

Les 500 000 m2 à construire seront répartis sur le site en plusieurs bâtiments, notamment dans deux ou trois tours de très grande hauteur dont une pourrait constituer un signal fort pour le quartier d'affaires en atteignant 400 m de haut, un record en Europe.
This project is currently being examined by the Minister of the Equipment. Construction should begin in 2010.

Austinlee Mar 9, 2006 8:20 PM

Congratulations Fabb and to Paris!!! That is great news for skyscraper fans who live in one of the worlds richest and most high class countries in the world but have only a very small amount of scrapers compared to other countries of similar wealth. La Defense is truly a lovely and well planned out cluster of buildings.... These new ones will be a great addition. Merci Les Echos!

VivaLFuego Mar 9, 2006 9:01 PM

Very cool.
It's nice to see cities like London and Paris finally getting into the skyscraper game, and so far most of their more recent entries have been very pleasing.

Swede Mar 9, 2006 9:32 PM

My French is pretty bad, but are those 500,000m² a total figure for the two/three towers or per tower?
(1m²~10sqft)

peo Mar 9, 2006 9:35 PM

Paris has without doubt the best skyline in Europe.

big T Mar 9, 2006 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swede
My French is pretty bad, but are those 500,000m² a total figure for the two/three towers or per tower?
(1m²~10sqft)

It's the grand total for the whole expansion project, of which the projected couple of supertalls are only a part. It looks like it's still in the very early stage though, that figure could change I guess.
Anyway, pretty exciting stuff for LD!

Nantais Mar 9, 2006 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swede
(1m²~10sqft)

500,000 m² is the total figure.

Grumpy Mar 9, 2006 10:08 PM

this is GREAT news :pepper:

volguus zildrohar Mar 9, 2006 10:23 PM

Ooh....this will be good...

Presswood Mar 9, 2006 10:48 PM

Great news for the magnifique city of Paris :) , :banana: .

Bergenser Mar 9, 2006 10:50 PM

cool... Hope they gonnna build them soon ;)

spyguy Mar 9, 2006 11:08 PM

This should be quite interesting.

R@ptor Mar 10, 2006 12:18 AM

Finally! It's about time that Europe gets some supertalls.

First Moscow, then London, now Paris and we have yet to hear more about Madrid's planned 75F towers. :banana:

Fabb Mar 10, 2006 6:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big T
It's the grand total for the whole expansion project, of which the projected couple of supertalls are only a part. It looks like it's still in the very early stage though, that figure could change I guess.

That's correct.
500 000 m2 (about 5 million sq ft) is the equivalent of two Coeur Défense, which is not a lot.

There are virtually no empty sites in La Défense, so the construction of the new towers will require a few demolitions (modifications of motorways are planned), and they'll probably be very slender.

alexjon Mar 10, 2006 6:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabb
[IMG]Les 500 000 m2 à construire seront répartis sur le site en plusieurs bâtiments, notamment dans deux ou trois tours de très grande hauteur dont une pourrait constituer un signal fort pour le quartier d'affaires en atteignant 400 m de haut, un record en Europe.

Are there really no buildings as tall in europe?

What's the tallest building in europe anyway?

plinko Mar 10, 2006 7:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabb
That's correct.
500 000 m2 (about 5 million sq ft) is the equivalent of two Coeur Défense, which is not a lot.

5 Million SF is actually quite alot.

The Sears Tower is about 4 Million SF. Two Coeur Defense is probably in the vicinity of 1.2-1.5 Million SF (I've seen it and while it does have large floor plates, I assure you it is MUCH smaller than the Sears Tower).

For another comparison, the Chase Tower in Houston, Texas which is 75 floors (1000') is about 2 Million SF and the Library Tower in Los Angeles (73 floors) is about 1.5 Million SF.

Good to see Paris going vertical.

Fabb Mar 10, 2006 9:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plinko
5 Million SF is actually quite alot.

The Sears Tower is about 4 Million SF. Two Coeur Defense is probably in the vicinity of 1.2-1.5 Million SF (I've seen it and while it does have large floor plates, I assure you it is MUCH smaller than the Sears Tower).

It's smaller, of course. But Coeur Défense includes several low rises that complete the towers. I'm pretty sure the floor area is close to 2.5 million sq ft.

Quote:

For another comparison, the Chase Tower in Houston, Texas which is 75 floors (1000') is about 2 Million SF and the Library Tower in Los Angeles (73 floors) is about 1.5 Million SF.
I guess that the massing of the new towers in La Défense will be similar.
Not the design though. The developers will probably do their best to select innovative designs.

Phil Mar 10, 2006 12:02 PM

Actually, if I understand the whole thing, 850 000m² will be built, but LD will grow by only 500 000 since 350 000m² will be demolition-construction.

They also already said a few months ago that the 400m tower will be 180 000m², that means it won't be the largest office building of the district, since as Fabb said, Coeur Défense is larger.

UrbaniDesDev Mar 10, 2006 2:10 PM

Interesting

I'm curious as to how Les Parisiens a repondu. I lived in Paris in the 80s. I imagine this is a huge controversy there. I think this was inevitable and probably a good thing. Is this the beging of a ring of towers around Paris?

R@ptor Mar 10, 2006 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexjon
Are there really no buildings as tall in europe?

What's the tallest building in europe anyway?

Top10 completed: http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?16816060

Top10 curently u/c: http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?16816152