SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Increase in Major civil disturbances (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198315)

bornagainbiking Mar 19, 2012 2:35 PM

Increase in Major civil disturbances

The recent London St Patrick's Day riot at Fanshawe is not a good sign. With the Vancouver hockey incident, G20 in Toronto and Montreal is there a point here or just an excuse to act out?
:shrug::shrug::shrug:
Instant asshole, just add alcohol.

Acajack Mar 19, 2012 2:49 PM

Interestingly enough, most of these things seem to occur at the beginning of the warm weather season.

Note that there have also been disturbances at St-Jean-Baptiste celebrations on June 24 in Quebec City in some recent years. Though almost never at the ones in Montreal, which draw crowds that are as large or even larger given the size of the city and metro.

Living in the Ottawa-Gatineau area much of my life and having attended Canada Day festivities scores of times in Ottawa, I've often thought to myself as I walked through the huge raucous crowds that "it wouldn't take much", but so far I don't think there has ever been any significant incidents on July 1 here.

reidjr Mar 19, 2012 3:11 PM

In a fair amount of cases it seems there having fun while look at the middle east yes there are riots but there intent is to get a point out there we won't take it anymore.

haljackey Mar 19, 2012 3:35 PM

http://i.imgur.com/rQs6S.jpg

...Except instead of rioting and flipping cars, all they'll get is a craving for Doritos. :P

Why is booze legal and weed not? It's a much harsher drug. Society is messed up and we saw a symptom of that in my hometown Saturday night.

manny_santos Mar 19, 2012 4:35 PM

One of yesterday's articles about the London, Ontario riots on CBC.ca had a comment from a Canadian expat in New Zealand who also has been recently working in Australia. He said that New Zealanders and Austalians have been asking him about all the rioting in Canada in the past couple of years.

Saturday's riots were covered by local and national news outlets throughout the United States, Ireland, England, Australia, South Africa, Russia, and Saudi Arabia. This incident by itself isn't going to harm Canada's reputation, but this along with the G20 riots and other riots in the past couple of years have to be putting a black mark on Canada's reputation.

Curiously, there has been no mention of the riots in the news media of Latin America, where there is still a belief that "bad things never happen" in Canada. I know that here in Mexico, I've never found anyone that was aware of the Vancouver riots.

Ayreonaut Mar 19, 2012 4:38 PM

The G20 stuff shouldn't be thought of as a Canadian riot. Put that conference in any major city and the same thing will happen every time.

armorand93 Mar 19, 2012 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reidjr (Post 5632788)
In a a fair amount of cases it seems there having fun while look at the middle east yes there are riots but there intent is to get a point out there we won't take it anymore.

It'd be easy to pinpoint the rioters if they dressed and sang like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9AbeALNVkk

Wharn Mar 19, 2012 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haljackey (Post 5632818)
Why is booze legal and weed not?

Because people are morons and actually believe marijuana is a hard drug.

Did anyone ever see Ron Paul on the Morton Downey Jr. Show? I can't find the video, but when he suggested marijuana be legalized, the whole crowd shouted him down like some sort of freak. Not much has changed since the 1980s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manny_santos (Post 5632897)
Saturday's riots were covered by local and national news outlets throughout the United States, Ireland, England, Australia, South Africa, Russia, and Saudi Arabia. This incident by itself isn't going to harm Canada's reputation, but this along with the G20 riots and other riots in the past couple of years have to be putting a black mark on Canada's reputation.

Don't they have anything better to do than report on a bunch of drunken idiots rioting in a city 90% of them have never even heard of?

Rico Rommheim Mar 19, 2012 5:31 PM

Nothing worth writing home about, Canada (Montreal) has a long history of civil disturbances.

flar Mar 19, 2012 5:34 PM

I don't really think this was a "major" civil disturbance. A bunch of drunken idiots, more like it. Reminds me of the Queen's homecoming a few years ago. These things happen occasionally, it actually surprises me that we don't have more of this. A lot of pre-modern cultures had culturally sanctioned festivities where most of their moral codes were temporarily lifted, engaging in orgies of sex and violence, and even cannibalism in some cases. Our culture is quite dysfunctional and sometimes we lack the proper safety valves.

And, no, I'm not suggesting we need violent cannabalistic orgies. Or do we?

JHikka Mar 19, 2012 5:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flar (Post 5632997)
These things happen occasionally, it actually surprises me that we don't have more of this.

Bingo.

reidjr Mar 19, 2012 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flar (Post 5632997)
I don't really think this was a "major" civil disturbance. A bunch of drunken idiots, more like it. Reminds me of the Queen's homecoming a few years ago. These things happen occasionally, it actually surprises me that we don't have more of this. A lot of pre-modern cultures had culturally sanctioned festivities where most of their moral codes were temporarily lifted, engaging in orgies of sex and violence, and even cannibalism in some cases. Our culture is quite dysfunctional and sometimes we lack the proper safety valves.

And, no, I'm not suggesting we need violent cannabalistic orgies. Or do we?

I think people just don't care maybe in part its a lack of respect.

flar Mar 19, 2012 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reidjr (Post 5633012)
I think people just don't care maybe in part its a lack of respect.

No, it's something more than that. These occurrences are not about individuals. What changes collectively that makes individuals do things they normally wouldn't do?

reidjr Mar 19, 2012 6:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flar (Post 5633053)
No, it's something more than that. These occurrences are not about individuals. What changes collectively that makes individuals do things they normally wouldn't do?

I think part of it is atleast some don't think anything will happen look at Vancouver last year some were taking pics and posting them and many were having a great time.

go_leafs_go02 Mar 19, 2012 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reidjr (Post 5633058)
I think part of it is atleast some don't think anything will happen look at Vancouver last year some were taking pics and posting them and many were having a great time.

Yep, if Vancouver was an eastern city, that wouldn't have happened. It was only about 7:45 PM local time when Game 7 ended and the riots began. Put Vancouver in Ontario, and it would have been at 10:45 PM. It would have been dark, and people wouldn't have been able to take as good video as they did now.

MolsonExport Mar 19, 2012 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bornagainbiking (Post 5632752)
The recent London St Patrick's Day riot at Fanshawe is not a good sign. With the Vancouver hockey incident, G20 in Toronto and Montreal is there a point here or just an excuse to act out?
:shrug::shrug::shrug:
Instant asshole, just add alcohol.

Increase, decrease, how can you really say one way or the other??:sly:

harls Mar 19, 2012 9:15 PM

Do you scour the headlines and cut and paste them as thread titles?

Awesome.

bornagainbiking Mar 19, 2012 10:18 PM

Opinions

Maybe, to hear what others think of our current affairs. Is it such a sin to seek dialogue.
I prefer not to rant as or express too much of a stand as there are some here how tend to lambast opposing views.
I just saw the Hamilton news and some of the other students in the area report propane tanks and bottles thrown in the fire. People picking the glass out of their bodies. Property damage and even PS3, couches stolen and people personal cell phones. London media report vis police estimates at 1000 people there and the entire London police force is 800.
Who will pay for the news truck?
It was a very dangerous situation and thank God no one was killed.

vid Mar 20, 2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bornagainbiking (Post 5633466)
thank God no one was killed.

God let it happen. Fuck God for always recklessly endangering his own creation, for which he often seems to have contempt.

Aylmer Mar 20, 2012 12:20 AM

Bornagain, you probably have really interesting and insightful things to share, I really believe you do, but I can't for the life of me decipher your posts. Could you clarify or summarise your point so that we can understand your point of view?