SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The 2012 NHL Playoff thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198567)

Surrealplaces Apr 2, 2012 6:09 PM

The 2012 NHL Playoff thread

Only two Canadian Teams in it this year. Any predictions? Who are you pulling for?

Surrealplaces Apr 2, 2012 6:14 PM

Mods...maybe we should delete this until the playoff picture is complete and then a poll could be added?

Copes Apr 2, 2012 6:17 PM

Shame Winnipeg didn't make it. I hate the Canucks, and Ottawa is dull, so no Canadian teams for me to root for.

That's alright though I'm a Bruins fan anyway. Two years in a row boys, lets do it.

Taeolas Apr 2, 2012 7:49 PM

I agree it would have been great if the Jets could have made it; but they did great for a first season IMO.

Betteman must be happy that he only has 2 dud slots in the playoffs this year (2 Canadian teams :P ). While it wouldn't happen, I'd love to see the coronary he'd have if it looked like an Ottawa/Vancouver final.

And since I am a fan, I'll go for Ottawa while I can.

Razor Apr 2, 2012 8:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copes (Post 5651098)
Shame Winnipeg didn't make it. I hate the Canucks, and Ottawa is dull, so no Canadian teams for me to root for.

That's alright though I'm a Bruins fan anyway. Two years in a row boys, lets do it.

Ottawa dull?..I'm not being a homer or anything, and for sure when "Defense first"Jacques Martin was at the helm they were, but I couldn't disagree with you more...This young team is exciting to watch IMO.

Ayreonaut Apr 2, 2012 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealplaces (Post 5651091)
Mods...maybe we should delete this until the playoff picture is complete and then a poll could be added?

Agreed. I'd like to see a poll.

Nicko999 Apr 2, 2012 9:44 PM

My cheering order....

1. ANYONE playing against the Bruins

http://www.nhlsnipers.com/wp-content..._bluespose.jpg
http://www.nhlsnipers.com/wp-content..._bluespose.jpg

3. Nashville (Hal Gill and Andrei Kostitsyn):tup:

twoNeurons Apr 2, 2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

You'd take a newly minted Canadian team which up until a few months ago was an American team over the Canucks?

I didn't think the Canucks had a long enough history to be hated. I figure most each like the team or indifferent. They haven't stolen a cup from anyone and I can't think of any natural long-term rivalries.

Compare that to Montreal or Toronto which have a strong rivalry and natural enemies in each other.

Surrealplaces Apr 2, 2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoNeurons (Post 5651465)
You'd take a newly minted Canadian team which up until a few months ago was an American team over the Canucks?

I didn't think the Canucks had a long enough history to be hated. I figure most each like the team or indifferent. They haven't stolen a cup from anyone and I can't think of any natural long-term rivalries.

Compare that to Montreal or Toronto which have a strong rivalry and natural enemies in each other.

Winnipeg is a bit of a Cinderella story being a new team and all. Give it another season or two and they will fall into the either the 'can't stand them' category like Vancouver or the 'not liked' category along with Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal or the 'nobody cares about them' category like Ottawa.

feepa Apr 2, 2012 10:19 PM

I'm cheering for Philly in the East. Undecided in the West, but it won't be a division rival to the Oilers.

Nicko999 Apr 2, 2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

I don't think that Montreal-Toronto is that big of a rivalry right now. Maybe it will get stronger with a few playoff series.

Boston on the other hand... 5 playoff series vs them since 2002.

Copes Apr 2, 2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Honestly I just feel like the Canucks are a soft team. A bunch of wusses playing hockey. The Sedin twins are soft. Lappy is soft. I think Luongo is overvalued, overpayed and overhyped. Schneider is a far better goalie.

The only reason I would want Vancouver to do good is to see the hilarity from the fans if they lose in the finals two years in a row. ;)

Boreal Apr 2, 2012 11:46 PM

Ottawa! Closely followed by Vancouver. Nashville a distant third.

As long as L.A. is bounced early, and preferably with a broom, I could content myself.

yaletown_fella Apr 3, 2012 1:57 AM

detroit:cheers:

Hybrid247 Apr 3, 2012 2:09 AM

Quote:

I'd like to hear your reasoning for thinking Ottawa is dull. Keep it mind they were predicted to be dead last this season while everyone was overhyping the leafs, as usual... The post season is an entire new game so I'll wait to see how the Sens do against the bruins before I call any of them dull.

Jay in Cowtown Apr 3, 2012 2:18 AM

I hope Phoenix gets in... I'll be down there end of April for a few weeks and want to watch some games.

Ayreonaut Apr 3, 2012 2:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown (Post 5651855)
I hope Phoenix gets in... I'll be down there end of April for a few weeks and want to watch some games.

Hehe, I know a lot of people in Calgary that want to see Phoenix stay put. I might try to make it to a game down there if they get in.

SHOFEAR Apr 3, 2012 2:46 AM

I'm not sure what is funnier, the canucks getting no respect, or the senators being irrelevant. There's certainly a pattern.

Go bruins. .

logan5 Apr 3, 2012 3:41 AM

Play-offs are almost here! Go Canucks Go!

Some video to get Canucks fans pumped.

Video Link

Prometheus Apr 3, 2012 4:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logan5 (Post 5651958)

Play-offs are almost here! Go Canucks Go!

Some video to get Canucks fans pumped.

Video Link

Whether they last a single round or ride a wave all the way to the Cup, watching your team compete in the Stanley Cup Playoffs--watching them have a chance at glory on the greatest battlefield in sports--is one of the most intense, most fun experiences a hockey fan can have.

It's hockey on a totally different level.

I can't wait.