SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=666)
-   -   CBC ambush Mayor Ford (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194799)

bornagainbiking Oct 26, 2011 9:52 AM

CBC ambush Mayor Ford

I believe it is in extremely poor taste for the comedy crew to attend his private residence. I have always enjoyed these skits but everyone I have had the pleasure of seeing was in a public forum or in the office of the victim of the Prime Minister or Provincial Premiers.
He lives in a normal home in a regular neighbourhood and yes he is the Mayor and subject to the perks or hassles. But, not his family. For security the PM and other political leaders have secure homes and security details. To keep out the whackos.
The main point is that they identify his home and the location was put it on national T.V.
The man has had serious death threats, and probaly has concerns for the safety and security of his children.
A line has been crossed and I believe it would be just plain polite for the CBC to admit to a grave error. Salvage a bad decision. Someone was not too bright to sign off on that one.
I suggest that should they contact him and plan something for City Hall he would probably be more than willing. Kiss and make up.
But seriously imagine first thing in the morning before your Tim Hortons coffee on the way to work. That is a sin.
Did anyone notice he is the Mayor of the largest city in Canada and was drining himself in his small CUV type vehicle.
All things considered, yes we need a sense of humour but it is only funny if both parties think so. He has the a right to be concerned and upset.
Would these actors wisheverone to know where they live and make it easier for stalkers and kooks. Can you say SECURITY $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Aylmer Oct 26, 2011 11:22 AM

Agreed, but before you cry bloody blue murder, know that canada411 also has his address.
If I can find his home with a public website, a Wikipedia page and 30s to kill, I'm sure the wackos could too without the help of National Television.

And as unpleasant a surprise as it may have been for Mr.Ford, I think he overreacted. Sure, it might have startled or scared him, but they were brandishing a microphone, not an AK-47. No one's been hurt with the possible exception of his pride. But as a politician, that's an occupational hazard.

Gerrard Oct 26, 2011 12:26 PM

he's the gift that keeps on giving. for comedians.

freeweed Oct 26, 2011 1:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aylmer (Post 5456960)
Agreed, but before you cry bloody blue murder, know that canada411 also has his address.
If I can find his home with a public website, a Wikipedia page and 30s to kill, I'm sure the wackos could too without the help of National Television.

The fact that we live in a free and open society, where phone numbers and addresses are public information, is no excuse for stalking and/or harassment.

Yes, someone *could* look this up. I'm sure there is only one "Robert Ford" in all of metro Toronto, it's a pretty rare name after all. Posting it on the national news is extremely poor taste. Our politicians and celebrities generally can live amongst the common people because in my country, we don't go around harassing them in their personal lives. The CBC is desperately trying to be like the US media here.

Ford's a pompous ass and deserves all the derision he gets but that doesn't justify crossing this particular line in my books.

PoscStudent Oct 26, 2011 1:56 PM

Does he live in a skyscraper?

samne Oct 26, 2011 2:21 PM

Im definitely no Ford supporter, but definitely poor taste and crossed the line from that "reporter".

I think we do a pretty good job at leaving politicians private lives out of the spotlight. This was just stupid.

The_Architect Oct 26, 2011 2:50 PM

A few things here:

1. CBC had tried to do this at City Hall, but media has been incredibly blocked out there, so they resorted to other methods of reaching him.

2. Rob Ford drives an SUV with a personalized plate that says "ROB FORD".. He's not exactly subtle and anybody with eyes would know where he lives.

3. He invited the media over to his house when he was hosting a barbeque, so it's not like they were invading on his private space like nobody has before..

4. He straight up lied. He said they attacked him in the dark. The video showed it was light out. He said they were scaring his daughter. He was in his car and the daughter was nowhere to be seen, so if anybody scared her, it was him. He said she ran up to him shouting "We've got you Ford!", which was proven to be a lie.

5. It was famous Canadian TV personality wearing outrageous attire in a character she's been doing since Mulroney. I know Ford only watches anything American, but come on, there's no way he didn't recognize her. Not to mention she had a camera crew and probably sound crew following behind her. There is no way he could have mistaken this for a legitimate threat on his life.

tl;dr: Rob Ford is an absolute tool with no sense of humour.

Pictured: Big security threat..
http://www.cbc.ca/75/images/margprincesswarrior.jpg

What a joke of a mayor we have.

drew Oct 26, 2011 2:56 PM

Quote:

Im definitely no Ford supporter, but definitely poor taste and crossed the line from that "reporter".

I think we do a pretty good job at leaving politicians private lives out of the spotlight. This was just stupid.
^ it's supposed to be stupid. It's a woman dressed as a warrior for cripes sake, with a camera crew (complete with bright light) and microphone!

All this shows is that Ford does not watch This Hour Has 22 Minutes, and probably has a very limited sense of humour. From what I have seen of him, he strikes me as the kind of person who doesn't watch the CBC at all.

The great thing about politicians in Canada (at least thus far) is that they are approachable and accessible enough to do these kinds of gags, that at the end of the day, are all in good humour.

We need to be able to take the piss, so to speak, with our public figures in Canada.

If this guy doesn't want to be approached by reporters, and the zany characters from a comedy show, he probably should have declined becoming a mayor.

IMO, he came across as a big baby in this circumstance.

MrOilers Oct 26, 2011 4:08 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/rob-ford.jpg

samne Oct 26, 2011 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew (Post 5457122)
^ it's supposed to be stupid. It's a woman dressed as a warrior for cripes sake, with a camera crew (complete with bright light) and microphone!

All this shows is that Ford does not watch This Hour Has 22 Minutes, and probably has a very limited sense of humour. From what I have seen of him, he strikes me as the kind of person who doesn't watch the CBC at all.

The great thing about politicians in Canada (at least thus far) is that they are approachable and accessible enough to do these kinds of gags, that at the end of the day, are all in good humour.

We need to be able to take the piss, so to speak, with our public figures in Canada.

If this guy doesn't want to be approached by reporters, and the zany characters from a comedy show, he probably should have declined becoming a mayor.

IMO, he came across as a big baby in this circumstance.

Well if its supposed to be stupid it succeeded.

I dont think you can write this off as not having a sense of humour or unapproachable. A persons home is there home, no matter what kind of position they have. I might have thought less of it if she were on the sidewalk, but she trespassed.

I dont know who that woman is and I think most people dont either.

niwell Oct 26, 2011 4:29 PM

Rob Ford's home is not exactly a regular residence in a regular neighbourhood. He's staged media and promotional events in his backyard. Many times.

Regardless of whether or not this was in bad taste, calling 911 was clearly not an appropriate response.

samne Oct 26, 2011 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niwell (Post 5457261)
Rob Ford's home is not exactly a regular residence in a regular neighbourhood. He's staged media and promotional events in his backyard. Many times.

Regardless of whether or not this was in bad taste, calling 911 was clearly not an appropriate response.

I dont know why Im defending this guy.

Theres a difference between an event invitation and just dropping in unexpectedly.

In hindsight, sure he couldve taken the higher ground and not called the cops. But, he doesnt know who they are and lets face it he's got a lot enemies.

KnoxfordGuy Oct 26, 2011 4:37 PM

To me it was all in good fun. It was for a comedy show, not hard hitting news. Rob Ford is just a cold humorless person that doesn't watch Canadian TV and wants to be American. Mary Walsh aka Marg Delahunty warrior princess is awesome and I would be pumped if she cam up and started talking to me. It's just too funny people!

The_Architect Oct 26, 2011 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samne (Post 5457253)
I dont know who that woman is and I think most people dont either.

Just because you don't know who she is doesn't mean "most people" don't..

Anybody who has actually strayed away from the regular American broadcasts in the past 25 years knows who she is.

This is basically like Stephen Colbert or Jon Stewart getting 911 called on them by the mayor of New York City.

Wharn Oct 26, 2011 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Architect (Post 5457275)
Just because you don't know who she is doesn't mean "most people" don't..

Anybody who has actually strayed away from the regular American broadcasts in the past 25 years knows who she is.

Personally I found her skits irritating as a kid and I still find them irritating. I think most people know her only as "that woman from 'This Hour Has 22 Minutes'". Can't blame Ford for not knowing her, since I never really watched that show either (I was always more of an Air Farce fan).

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Architect (Post 5457275)
This is basically like Stephen Colbert or Jon Stewart getting 911 called on them by the mayor of New York City.

The difference is... Colbert is actually funny and people actually watch his show.

niwell Oct 26, 2011 4:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samne (Post 5457273)
I dont know why Im defending this guy.

Theres a difference between an event invitation and just dropping in unexpectedly.

In hindsight, sure he couldve taken the higher ground and not called the cops. But, he doesnt know who they are and lets face it he's got a lot enemies.

As I said I'm not defending her showing up in front of her house. But it's pretty obvious this was a news crew (plus it was not dark as Ford stated) so calling an emergency number is pretty unwarranted. If he really wanted to call the police there is a non-emergency number - after all he was safely inside by this point. It sounds trivial but abuse of the 911 system is a major issue.

kool maudit Oct 26, 2011 4:57 PM

let's not overestimate the profile of our cancon heroes now. i wouldn't know this woman from adam were she to show up at my house, and were she to identify herself as being from "this hour has 22 minutes," i'd be able -- at best -- to form a fuzzy recollection of an annoying-seeming cbc advert featuring a comic songs about joe clark (or whatever).

drew Oct 26, 2011 4:58 PM

Quote:

The difference is... Colbert is actually funny and people actually watch his show.
^ This Hour Has 22 Minutes is consistently funny. Enough people must watch it, since it has been on the air for about a hundred years.

I would be willing to bet Stephen Colbert would give his left nut to get the kind of access to politicians like THH22M has here in Canada. Hopefully obvious DB's like this Ford guy don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Aylmer Oct 26, 2011 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samne (Post 5457273)
I dont know why Im defending this Guy.

Then join the dark side! (we've got cookies)

Quote:

In hindsight, sure he couldve taken the higher ground and not called the cops. But, he doesnt know who they are and lets face it he's got a lot ennemies.
Enemies... Such as princess warriors with camera crews and interview microphones?

Seriously - the only thing Marg could be a threat to is a sweatshirt.

Had it been a guy dressed as a mugger or something, I could understand (even though the camera crew would seem a bit odd), but instead he was approached by a 50-some year old dressed up to look like a 'princess warrior' with a full CBC camera crew and lights in plain day... Come on.

yaletown_fella Oct 26, 2011 5:06 PM

Never heard of that woman so I guess I don't have the right to say if I would object to her illegally trespassing on my property.

Most other politicians are "approachable" because they're media whores.

Ford ran for more selfless reasons; to fight corruption and stand up for taxpayers.

Although I'm not a huge fan of the money spent on the pointless initiative of removing bike lanes I think his family deserves privacy.

Many kids bash him due to their own misfortunes. People need to get a life.