SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Mountain West (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Idaho Statewide Development, News and Miscellaneous Thread (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=149269)

Boiseguy Apr 13, 2008 2:42 AM

Idaho Statewide Development, News and Miscellaneous Thread
 
OK peeps, here is a new thread that can encompass all area's of idaho, Not just Cda, IF, and Boise. If you find anything interesting or cool to share.. lets hear it. And keep this thread alive... The Metro's of idaho are great and all, but we need to remember the rest of idaho is full of amazing places as well with lots of developments of their own.
Lets Hear from ya!:notacrook:

Ute_City Apr 13, 2008 4:26 AM

I'd like to hear about projects in Malad. That town is awesome.

Boiseguy Apr 13, 2008 5:48 AM

I don't know if that was a joke or not.. but the thought behind this thread is about other area's of idaho that get talked about in main city threads so that people aren't upset or confused about the locations of such projects
Idaho is home to many resort towns with large scale projects going on. As well as Growing cities like Twin Falls and Pocatello. There is also information about lewiston and moscow as well that has been talked about.. yet doesn't seem to have its place... Participate if want.. but be cool about it... there's been enough bitching going on lately... we lose sight of the fact that this is a construction/skyscraper forum... and not us vs. them debate. :D

Ute_City Apr 13, 2008 7:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boiseguy (Post 3481582)
I don't know if that was a joke or not.. but the thought behind this thread is about other area's of idaho that get talked about in main city threads so that people aren't upset or confused about the locations of such projects
Idaho is home to many resort towns with large scale projects going on. As well as Growing cities like Twin Falls and Pocatello. There is also information about lewiston and moscow as well that has been talked about.. yet doesn't seem to have its place... Participate if want.. but be cool about it... there's been enough bitching going on lately... we lose sight of the fact that this is a construction/skyscraper forum... and not us vs. them debate. :D

It was completely serious, Malad is the first point where a Utahn can get their lotto/Powerball fix. :D

IFguy Apr 13, 2008 6:33 PM

Okay this sounds like a good idea. Since I am on this side of the state I will start with Rexburg. I can't remember the exact source at the moment but it said that Rexburg may become the next Provo. Madison County alone has picked up 9K new residents in just the last 7 years so I believe that may be a possibility.

There are also plans to raze one whole city block near downtown and build a massive mixed use development. This plan is to include lodging, residential, and retail.

There could even end up being a possibility that Rexburg could grow bigger than Idaho Falls and Pocatello, it probably won't, but it could.

wrendog Apr 13, 2008 6:46 PM

Rexburg already is Provo Junior. :)

When you say it could be the next Provo, what do you mean?

StevenF Apr 13, 2008 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ute_City (Post 3481729)
It was completely serious, Malad is the first point where a Utahn can get their lotto/Powerball fix. :D

Not true. People go up to Preston all the time from Logan to get there fix.

Boiseguy Apr 13, 2008 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IFguy (Post 3482322)
Okay this sounds like a good idea. Since I am on this side of the state I will start with Rexburg. I can't remember the exact source at the moment but it said that Rexburg may become the next Provo. Madison County alone has picked up 9K new residents in just the last 7 years so I believe that may be a possibility.

There are also plans to raze one whole city block near downtown and build a massive mixed use development. This plan is to include lodging, residential, and retail.

There could even end up being a possibility that Rexburg could grow bigger than Idaho Falls and Pocatello, it probably won't, but it could.

actually I've heard that as well... I don't know if it has to do with BYU Idaho or just people moving to the area for shits and giggles... its definetely pretty up there.. not as dry sagebrushy as the rest of southern idaho
but on the flip side its cold as F there...
Its becoming a hot spot for Mo's to send their kids off to to get married....

IFguy Apr 13, 2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrendog (Post 3482342)
Rexburg already is Provo Junior. :)

When you say it could be the next Provo, what do you mean?

Due to Ricks College being converted to the 4 year BYU-I and the temple being built, Rexburg is truly "growing up". The population gains up there are really crazy, be it from college students coming to the school alot of them are staying and getting married. The BYU I campus is still expanding so there will be a bigger need for student housing. With all the new students from around the country there is a need for more restaurants, hotels and motels, and retail outlets, with the lodging being for the parents coming to visit.

The article I read is basically comparing the growth that Rexburg is going through now, to the same growth rate that Provo experienced. Basically BYUI could become as big of a school as BYU in Provo. Studies have been done that expect the growth to be close to 10% a year and that in the year 2014 the population of the city will have doubled. That would put the city somewhere between 34-42,000 residents, depended on who's head count you use. Rexburg is already claiming the population is near 30,000. Quite a jump from the 17,000 just 8 years ago.

You may also want to take into account all the growth going on in the Teton Valley. Cities such as Driggs, Victor, and Tetonia are growing rapidly and it would be alot easier for them to drive to Rexburg than Idaho Falls for their shopping and dining needs so I also expect that to play into Rexburg's retail growth.

As for the developments in and around Rexburg I will try to get some more in depth plans and possibly and article or two to link to.

My best guess, give it maybe 15 years until we have the Rexburg Metropolitan Area which will encompass the Upper Valley and include Teton county and Fremont county.

N2I.F. Apr 14, 2008 3:37 AM

I See BYU-I a Little Differently
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IFguy (Post 3482727)
Due to Ricks College being converted to the 4 year BYU-I and the temple being built, Rexburg is truly "growing up". The population gains up there are really crazy, be it from college students coming to the school alot of them are staying and getting married. The BYU I campus is still expanding so there will be a bigger need for student housing. With all the new students from around the country there is a need for more restaurants, hotels and motels, and retail outlets, with the lodging being for the parents coming to visit.

The article I read is basically comparing the growth that Rexburg is going through now, to the same growth rate that Provo experienced. Basically BYUI could become as big of a school as BYU in Provo. Studies have been done that expect the growth to be close to 10% a year and that in the year 2014 the population of the city will have doubled. That would put the city somewhere between 34-42,000 residents, depended on who's head count you use. Rexburg is already claiming the population is near 30,000. Quite a jump from the 17,000 just 8 years ago.

You may also want to take into account all the growth going on in the Teton Valley. Cities such as Driggs, Victor, and Tetonia are growing rapidly and it would be alot easier for them to drive to Rexburg than Idaho Falls for their shopping and dining needs so I also expect that to play into Rexburg's retail growth.

As for the developments in and around Rexburg I will try to get some more in depth plans and possibly and article or two to link to.

My best guess, give it maybe 15 years until we have the Rexburg Metropolitan Area which will encompass the Upper Valley and include Teton county and Fremont county.

First, Boiseguy, I think this is a great idea. I would sure like to know more about Moscow, Lewiston and even areas in the most northern ID.

Wrendog, I read the same info IF Guy did (or at least comparable). The developers are 2 brothers who are life long Rexburg residents and want to give back to the area.

There are dynamics of Rexburg that are similar to BYU-U, but IMHO, Rexburg will cap at a certain level. There are many programs BYU-I doesn't have available only in BYU-U.

Additionally, let's not forget Provo wouldn't be Provo without SLC. ;) Don't take that wrong, just think back to the 80s or 90s. How much did Provo rely on SLC. Sheez, it wasn't too long again UVRMC still transported many patients to LDS Hospital etc. So everything has to be put into perspective.

Rexburg can't continue to develop without Idaho Falls. For example, just think airports. Provo still can't get a commuter airline, although I've read some of those discussions. Rexburg won't develop a a commercial development. Plus, look at the $ in UT COUNTY. Rexburg is far from that currently.

Plus, the fact BYU-I eliminated sports both strengths academics, but limits some of the growth Provo has seen from the NCAA sports programs.

What BYU-I does, IMHO, is does allow more workers to remain in eastern ID if they wish to do so. Plus, honestly, I think the quality of education is better than ISU, as ISU currently exists. I'd encourage anyone who could (if they lived in eastern ID and could go to either institution) to go to BYU-I for their degree.

And BYU-I will keep certain contractors busy with additions, new buildings etc.!:tup:

Despite the limitations I see at the Rexburg campus, I honestly expect with time BYU-I will partner more with certain businesses/institusion etc. in Idaho Falls to create NEW degrees that the Rexburg location simply isn't large enough to allow. I know that sounds cryptic - sorry. Just not ready to share my thoughts about all of that yet.;)

Just my :2cents:.

wrendog Apr 14, 2008 3:53 AM

Please don't refer to BYU as "BYU-U". Thanks.

:) :) :)

Ute_City Apr 14, 2008 5:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenF (Post 3482414)
Not true. People go up to Preston all the time from Logan to get there fix.

Well for me it is my first opportunity, I would take I-15. :cheers:

Ute_City Apr 14, 2008 5:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrendog (Post 3483181)
Please don't refer to BYU as "BYU-U". Thanks.

:) :) :)


I'd like to refer to BYU as another phrase. Please insert any deragatory word you would like. ;)

StevenF Apr 14, 2008 5:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ute_City (Post 3483305)
Well for me it is my first opportunity, I would take I-15. :cheers:

I Own a home in Newton and its much easier for those over here to drive up main to Preston then to drive over Valley View to I-15.

N2I.F. Apr 14, 2008 8:59 AM

Wren, Happy To Modiy as You Help Make One of My Points.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrendog (Post 3483181)
Please don't refer to BYU as "BYU-U". Thanks.

:) :) :)

Ok, Wren.

Just BYU-I and BYU-H, right? You are correct that the Utah campus was there first.

Not all of us love the "Y" as much as some. I'll go with the lighted "U" anyday. But, you are civil in your discussions and I'm happy to comply with your wish and give the Provo campus its dues.:) So BYU means Utah County, UT. I can live with that.

However, do you see, in an odd way, just by clarifying BYU is in Provo was/is the original BYU (National Football Title and all) you, too, are clarifying what is different about the two institutions?

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time:haha: ), but I really don't see the same growth in Rexburg like Provo. I also don't see the Rexburg "community" as willing to accept say a 10 story mid-rise for housing. They want their views of the Tetons etc.;)

Truthfully, knowing some who jumped at the chance to teach at BYU-I, there currently aren't the same level of academic achievement that BYU requires. Maybe in some well established departments, but not all.:rolleyes:

Having lived in both states, I honestly have to say tolerance for differences isn't the same in Rexburg as Provo/Orem and all the communities in Utah County. Might just be me, but I do know a fair amount about both areas.:yes: :yes:

el conquistador Apr 14, 2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ute_City (Post 3483305)
Well for me it is my first opportunity, I would take I-15. :cheers:


Do they not sell lottery at La Tienda in Franklin? :D I know when I was at USU that's where we went for better beer........:cheers:

Cottonwood Apr 14, 2008 2:33 PM

I remember back when the LDS church came out with a video trying to discourage Idaho Mormons from voting in favor of the lottery. Now it all makes sense...they were really trying to keep all of the active Utah LDS members from driving north and contributing to Idaho's economy! :jester: :haha: :banana:

el conquistador Apr 14, 2008 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cottonwood (Post 3483788)
I remember back when the LDS church came out with a video trying to discourage Idaho Mormons from voting in favor of the lottery. Now it all makes sense...they were really trying to keep all of the active Utah LDS members from driving north and contributing to Idaho's economy! :jester: :haha: :banana:

When I was in college, some of the Utah natives had a great T-shirt. It said 'Utah's fun spots', and it was all towns just over the borders, including Franklin for better beer, all the Nevada border towns for gambling, the Arizona side of Lake Powell, etc.... :D

It was totally TIC, but still very clever IMO!

IFguy Apr 14, 2008 6:23 PM

Teton Valley development links
 
http://www.huntsmansprings.com/

http://www.idahosky.com/trailcreekcrossing/

As promised here are at least two links to developments in Driggs and Victor.:tup:

Sawtooth Apr 15, 2008 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenF (Post 3483355)
I Own a home in Newton and its much easier for those over here to drive up main to Preston then to drive over Valley View to I-15.


Damn, when I decide to buy a lotto ticket I just bike or walk the 6 blocks down Resseguie Street to Albertsons. Oh, and at the same time I can walk to the wine aisle and pick out an excellent Syrah too. :rolleyes:

Sawtooth Apr 15, 2008 2:13 AM

Dam development news:D


http://www.idahostatesman.com/273/story/328597.html


And here is a great website I Googled with a lot of pictures of the flood.
http://www.tetondam.org/


So, do you who live in Eastern Idaho want to see this rebuilt?

IFtowner Apr 15, 2008 5:19 AM

The building of the dam can only help...I think so at least.

Cottonwood Apr 18, 2008 10:41 PM

A little diversion:
Here's a link to a story of a lifestyle that is lived out in several states repped in this mountain west forum.




http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s....77e80253.html




Quote from the story:
All of these women are living it for the same reason I was living polygamy, because we believed it was commanded by God. These women need to know that that's not the case," said Schmidt. "I came down here because I was raised in polygamy, I became a polygamist wife when I was 15 years old. I was married as the sixth wife to a 38-year-old man I was taught, just as the women in San Angelo have been that we had to live polygamy in order to go to heaven."

Sawtooth Apr 24, 2008 1:24 AM

Looky here, some Wilderness "development" news.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/localn...ry/359668.html

http://www.sierraclub.org/wildlands/...isk/owyhee.asp

Boiseguy Apr 25, 2008 6:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cottonwood (Post 3494800)
A little diversion:
Here's a link to a story of a lifestyle that is lived out in several states repped in this mountain west forum.




http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s....77e80253.html




Quote from the story:
All of these women are living it for the same reason I was living polygamy, because we believed it was commanded by God. These women need to know that that's not the case," said Schmidt. "I came down here because I was raised in polygamy, I became a polygamist wife when I was 15 years old. I was married as the sixth wife to a 38-year-old man I was taught, just as the women in San Angelo have been that we had to live polygamy in order to go to heaven."

it's shocking to say the least.. but honestly what church out there doesn't require "rules" and obligations to go to heaven that members never question?
Certainly if those rules and obligations go against the law of the land then its not appropriate, but I would think many people who are religious would read these stories and analyze themselves and their own beliefs.. The polygamists might be strange freakish to the rest of the country.. but for someone who did grow up religous it certainly provides good insight for myself and what I believe and why..

Question everything I say.. even yourself.....:notacrook:

Boiseguy Apr 28, 2008 8:35 AM

does anyone have an interesting news about twin falls? I know there is a huge amount of growth happening down there. I know they are getting a lot more franchises like olive garden and such, but would be interested to know of any bigger news that doesn't make its way to boise...

Cottonwood Apr 28, 2008 3:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boiseguy (Post 3515353)
does anyone have an interesting news about twin falls? I know there is a huge amount of growth happening down there. I know they are getting a lot more franchises like olive garden and such, but would be interested to know of any bigger news that doesn't make its way to boise...

Better yet, since Utah has threads for every little hee haw town in their state, (i am referring to the mass number of new ut. threads on the forum this morning) lets start a thread for every small town in Idaho! After all this state is growing, even the smallest farm towns are growing!:) ;)
We can update each other on a new mexican restaurant opening such as Utah does in their restaurant thread and then we can hope the rest of the mountain west forumers think we are cool because we have a new Mexican restaurant opening or a Gelato shop:whip::P
But us in Boise wouldn't get excited over a Gelato shop because Gelato is available in numerous shops/restaurants all over downtown and the city.

I guess I better shut up before I subject myself and others to the wrath of a few forumers:slob:


Anyhoo, Back to Twin Falls. There was a story in the IBR a few weeks ago about a new development there on the canyon rim. Might have to search the previous issues for the details.

blm3034L!fe Apr 28, 2008 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cottonwood (Post 3515628)
Better yet, since Utah has threads for every little hee haw town in their state, (i am referring to the mass number of new ut. threads on the forum this morning) lets start a thread for every small town in Idaho! After all this state is growing, even the smallest farm towns are growing!:) ;)
We can update each other on a new mexican restaurant opening such as Utah does in their restaurant thread and then we can hope the rest of the mountain west forumers think we are cool because we have a new Mexican restaurant opening or a Gelato shop:whip::P
But us in Boise wouldn't get excited over a Gelato shop because Gelato is available in numerous shops/restaurants all over downtown and the city.

I guess I better shut up before I subject myself and others to the wrath of a few forumers:slob:


Anyhoo, Back to Twin Falls. There was a story in the IBR a few weeks ago about a new development there on the canyon rim. Might have to search the previous issues for the details.


So Funny and Yet TRUE!!!

:lmao: :worship:

:lmao: :worship:

Sawtooth Apr 29, 2008 12:08 AM

I thought I would post some news and an example writing talent that is rarely seen in the main newspaper. I've included a few paragraphs from the article so click on the link if you care to read the whole article.




http://www.newwest.net/magazine/arti...est/C555/L555/






A century ago, Ustick, west of Boise, was a farming hamlet surrounded by apple orchards and served by a trolley car system. After World War II, Boise's sprawl gradually subsumed the bucolic little burg. Running east-west between Interstate 84 and Chinden Boulevard, Ustick Road – once a graceful tree-lined two-lane thoroughfare – became clogged with cars and lined with strip malls featuring gun shops and nail salons, small office buildings, and, eventually, big-box retail stores (a 97,000 square foot Kohl's department store stands at the corner of Ustick and Eagle Road).

Commute times into Boise lengthened from 15 minutes (the time it once took to ride the streetcar from Ustick to downtown) to 30 minutes and more, as traffic crawled along the narrow arterial.

The Ada County Highway Commission proposed to fix the traffic problem by dramatically widening the road, turning that once-picturesque country thoroughfare into a long field of asphalt. Boise city planners had another vision: to help Ustick regain its lost character with a boulevard-style byway, with planted medians and restricted left-turn points, public transit options, bike lanes and so on.


In Ada County, the highway commission (which is the only independently elected commission of its kind in the United States) was unimpressed with Boise's aesthetic concerns and moved forward with its blow-it-out plan. The city argued to have a part in the design but lost when the case went to court.

jimthemanincda Apr 29, 2008 2:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cottonwood (Post 3515628)
Anyhoo, Back to Twin Falls. There was a story in the IBR a few weeks ago about a new development there on the canyon rim. Might have to search the previous issues for the details.

Here's today's article from the IBR:
Couple opens events center to ease crowding
by Rick Carpenter

A new restaurant overlooking the Snake River in Twin Falls anchors a new events center that will fill the needs of a city which had limited space for events with more than 225 guests.

Dan and Sonja Willie saw the problem when they were helping organize a fundraiser for a golf tournament for the local Boys and Girls Club. The event had overflowed other facilities in town and they had to apply for a liquor license each time they wanted to host an event.

So, they did what any good entrepreneur would do. They built their own facility: a 21,800-square-foot, $7.3 million restaurant and events center.
Canyon Crest Dining and Events Center, perched on the south rim of the Snake River Gorge, overlooks two golf courses, the Perrine Bridge (a base jumper’s mecca) and spectacular views of the area.

The new restaurant even features a rotating table for eight people. But don’t try to reserve it for Wednesday at 5 p.m. That’s when a group of businessmen who have been meeting for more years than they can remember have it booked. They suggested and helped pay for the rotating table because there would always be at least one member who would be upset that he had his back to the crowd. Now, with the table, they all get a shot at viewing the entire lounge.

R. Todd Blass, one of the regular businessmen who previously met at another restaurant, said the old restaurant (he wouldn’t name it) wouldn’t reserve their favorite table, even though they met there every week at the same time. They started joking with Dan Willie about making a rotating restaurant and they eventually settled on the rotating table. And the businessmen paid half of the estimated $18,000 for the table which is actually the same platform technology used for car dealerships which spin cars in showrooms.
The 11-foot rotating table even has gears so the owner can speed it up to a maximum speed of one rotation in four minutes or slow it down to a snail’s pace.

“This is our Space Needle of Twin Falls,” Dan Willie said.

And as if the rotating table isn’t novelty enough, the restaurant features a player grand piano for the times they do not have live entertainment.
Canyon Crest Dining features casual fine dining with steak and seafood. It seats 100 in the lounge, another 144 in the restaurant and 104 on the deck. In addition, it has an upstairs private meeting room for 20 people with an outdoor deck.

But more impressive is the events center portion of the facility which can comfortably host 400 people with roundtables for eight people each. More than 100 events have booked the facility between now and the end of the year. And entertainer Danny Marona – named Entertainer of the Year 10 years in a row in Nevada – has already agreed to perform there on New Year’s Eve.

Jan Rogers, executive director of the Southern Idaho Economic Development Organization, said prior to the opening of Canyon Crest, the area was limited to about 225 people at a sit-down dinner.

Steve Di Lucca, a commercial real estate agent for Westerra Real Estate Group in Twin Falls, is so sold on the area his company is building two 50,000-square-foot buildings and investing $17 million in a condo development just west of Canyon Crest. It will house the Magic Valley Arts Council, and each building will have mixed-use office space on the first floor, professional offices on the second and third floors and residences on the fourth and fifth floors. He said the restaurant and the events center are within walking distance.

There is also a new St. Luke’s Hospital going up in the area as is a new high school and four new hotels including an AmeriTel and a Hilton within walking distance of Canyon Crest.

The Twin Falls Area Chamber of Commerce gave the new facility its first major test on April 17, three days after opening. More than 350 people got to see the facility for the first time. With its breathtaking views, it’s no surprise 10 weddings have been booked on the lookout, with a view of the gorge.
The Willies own and operate Travelers’ Oasis Truck Plaza, Flags West Truck Stop and 13 Stop ‘N Go convenience stores in Magic Valley.
Source: http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...-ease-crowding

Cottonwood Apr 29, 2008 3:58 PM

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s....afbee73b.html

Silver Mountain near Kellogg is adding a new indoor water park to its offerings. The new Silver Rapids feature is set to open May 30th, and will add more than 42,000 square feet of water park attractions to the North Idaho ski area.

Features include a surf wave machine, family raft ride, several enclosed tube slides and a lazy river floating feature. A play structure for children features interactive water valves and sprays - themed as a miner's town. The entire water park plays off Kellogg's history as a mining area - with features like "Gold Rush" and "Prosepctor's Plunge."

Boiseguy Apr 29, 2008 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimthemanincda (Post 3517137)
Here's today's article from the IBR:
Couple opens events center to ease crowding
by Rick Carpenter

A new restaurant overlooking the Snake River in Twin Falls anchors a new events center that will fill the needs of a city which had limited space for events with more than 225 guests.

Dan and Sonja Willie saw the problem when they were helping organize a fundraiser for a golf tournament for the local Boys and Girls Club. The event had overflowed other facilities in town and they had to apply for a liquor license each time they wanted to host an event.

So, they did what any good entrepreneur would do. They built their own facility: a 21,800-square-foot, $7.3 million restaurant and events center.
Canyon Crest Dining and Events Center, perched on the south rim of the Snake River Gorge, overlooks two golf courses, the Perrine Bridge (a base jumper’s mecca) and spectacular views of the area.

The new restaurant even features a rotating table for eight people. But don’t try to reserve it for Wednesday at 5 p.m. That’s when a group of businessmen who have been meeting for more years than they can remember have it booked. They suggested and helped pay for the rotating table because there would always be at least one member who would be upset that he had his back to the crowd. Now, with the table, they all get a shot at viewing the entire lounge.

R. Todd Blass, one of the regular businessmen who previously met at another restaurant, said the old restaurant (he wouldn’t name it) wouldn’t reserve their favorite table, even though they met there every week at the same time. They started joking with Dan Willie about making a rotating restaurant and they eventually settled on the rotating table. And the businessmen paid half of the estimated $18,000 for the table which is actually the same platform technology used for car dealerships which spin cars in showrooms.
The 11-foot rotating table even has gears so the owner can speed it up to a maximum speed of one rotation in four minutes or slow it down to a snail’s pace.

“This is our Space Needle of Twin Falls,” Dan Willie said.

And as if the rotating table isn’t novelty enough, the restaurant features a player grand piano for the times they do not have live entertainment.
Canyon Crest Dining features casual fine dining with steak and seafood. It seats 100 in the lounge, another 144 in the restaurant and 104 on the deck. In addition, it has an upstairs private meeting room for 20 people with an outdoor deck.

But more impressive is the events center portion of the facility which can comfortably host 400 people with roundtables for eight people each. More than 100 events have booked the facility between now and the end of the year. And entertainer Danny Marona – named Entertainer of the Year 10 years in a row in Nevada – has already agreed to perform there on New Year’s Eve.

Jan Rogers, executive director of the Southern Idaho Economic Development Organization, said prior to the opening of Canyon Crest, the area was limited to about 225 people at a sit-down dinner.

Steve Di Lucca, a commercial real estate agent for Westerra Real Estate Group in Twin Falls, is so sold on the area his company is building two 50,000-square-foot buildings and investing $17 million in a condo development just west of Canyon Crest. It will house the Magic Valley Arts Council, and each building will have mixed-use office space on the first floor, professional offices on the second and third floors and residences on the fourth and fifth floors. He said the restaurant and the events center are within walking distance.

There is also a new St. Luke’s Hospital going up in the area as is a new high school and four new hotels including an AmeriTel and a Hilton within walking distance of Canyon Crest.

The Twin Falls Area Chamber of Commerce gave the new facility its first major test on April 17, three days after opening. More than 350 people got to see the facility for the first time. With its breathtaking views, it’s no surprise 10 weddings have been booked on the lookout, with a view of the gorge.
The Willies own and operate Travelers’ Oasis Truck Plaza, Flags West Truck Stop and 13 Stop ‘N Go convenience stores in Magic Valley.
Source: http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...-ease-crowding

Interesting... I was down in that area last week, went thru hagerman and the canyon, was talking to some people in twin falls and they were saying that a highrise hotel was to be constructed on the canyon rim, perhaps this is what they were talking about...

jimthemanincda Apr 29, 2008 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boiseguy (Post 3518290)
Interesting... I was down in that area last week, went thru hagerman and the canyon, was talking to some people in twin falls and they were saying that a highrise hotel was to be constructed on the canyon rim, perhaps this is what they were talking about...

The article says the building will be 5 stories. Not bad for Twin Falls, but I sure wouldn't consider that a high-rise...unless the people you were talking to were talking about another building.

Cottonwood Apr 29, 2008 7:48 PM

http://www.rivervista.net/


http://www.rivervista.net/masterplan.jpg

jimthemanincda Apr 29, 2008 8:46 PM

The website says there ae two 5-story buildings available. It's a good looking development, but definately no high rises ;)

Boiseguy Apr 29, 2008 9:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimthemanincda (Post 3518891)
The website says there ae two 5-story buildings available. It's a good looking development, but definately no high rises ;)

you know I'm not sure.. 5 stories is not a highrise but a lady that owned a cafe downtown in twin falls where I stopped of coffee said something about a 15 story hotel or something... maybe she was off her rocker.. but didn't know if anyone knew anything about it

Cottonwood Apr 29, 2008 9:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boiseguy (Post 3519033)
you know I'm not sure.. 5 stories is not a highrise but a lady that owned a cafe downtown in twin falls where I stopped of coffee said something about a 15 story hotel or something... maybe she was off her rocker.. but didn't know if anyone knew anything about it


Here is a link to an old thread that has mention of a 15 floor hotel.


http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=125330

Boiseguy Apr 29, 2008 9:54 PM

this must be what she was refering to... interesting.. so its a no go as of yet?

jimthemanincda Apr 30, 2008 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cottonwood (Post 3519045)
Here is a link to an old thread that has mention of a 15 floor hotel.


http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=125330

Thanks for the link. It will be interesting to see if the hotel is actually built, and if it will be 10 or 15 stories, or shorter...any way, it will be good for TF.

Sawtooth May 10, 2008 1:40 AM

http://www.boisebikeweek.org/




http://www.boisebikeweek.org/green

Boizean May 10, 2008 5:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimthemanincda (Post 3517137)
A new restaurant overlooking the Snake River in Twin Falls anchors a new events center that will fill the needs of a city which had limited space for events with more than 225 guests.

I need to check this place out the next time I'm down that way.

Since I grew up around the canyon it only seems appropriate. :D

N2I.F. May 10, 2008 4:44 PM

Great For Twin Falls
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimthemanincda (Post 3519469)
Thanks for the link. It will be interesting to see if the hotel is actually built, and if it will be 10 or 15 stories, or shorter...any way, it will be good for TF.

I agree good for T.F. for moving forward and developing. I, personally, wouldn't want to see a 15 story high rise hotel on the bank of the Canyon, as I believe it would detract from the view.

Also, I'll check this, but I thought I read somewhere some of those new hotels were to replace others that would be shutting down. Nonetheless, it does show T.F. to be progressive in making change.

Allowing St. Luke's to purchase the struggling Magic Valley Regional Center was a smart decision by the T.F. Counnty Commissioners. Look at Pocatello and the absolute mess they have, given PMC, the Bannock County commissioners and some physicians who keep screaming for, "local control only." More than 18 months have passed, probably close to $1 million in consultant fees and what is the results to date? Nothing except to apparently be looking for a "capital partner" (Many of whom they snubbed, when PMC still had a positive bond rating). And apparently, the Bannock County residents will vote on this mess so someone will make a decision.

I just hope St. Luke's doesn't pattern after IHC in UT. :koko: :koko:

N2I.F. May 14, 2008 3:16 PM

Lewiston and Moscow?
 
Since this is the Idaho thread, just wondered if anyone knew what was happening in both the Lewiston and Moscow areas? I haven't heard of anything, and haven't been in either city for so long, I've been wondering about both. I've had a couple of colleagues leave Lewiston and relocate in the past 4-6 months, which seemed a little odd given the timing etc. Just wondered how that area of the state is doing.

Any general updates from anyone would be appreciated. I love Idaho's diversity of having a Panhandle, urban Treasure Valley area, agricultural lands, high desert, Sawtooths and Tetons etc. - not all states can offer so much within the state's boundary. However, I feel we miss news from certain areas of the state, given how far the cities are spread out.

Looking forward to some updates from those who know.

Thanks!:D

alphawolf May 14, 2008 9:07 PM

There was some airport expansion news for the Lewiston airport that I posted in the Coeur D'Alene thread a little while back before the creation of this thread.

BoiseIdahoan May 20, 2008 7:52 PM

The Nampa city council approved the purchace of a block in downtown Nampa for a their new library, parking garage and mixed use development. It will be on the corner of 11th avenue and 3rd st south. I hoping this library goes through. It is going before a judge because of how the bond is being issued. People of Nampa are not being able to vote on it since it is in urban renewel district plans and thus the hang up.
More info at .
http://www.idahopress.com/?id=8527

IFtowner May 28, 2008 9:41 PM

A little something to show growth in the area:

I saw an 8B ZXXX license plate.

:tup:

Boizean May 31, 2008 4:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IFtowner (Post 3579626)
A little something to show growth in the area:

I saw an 8B ZXXX license plate.

:tup:

Cool. You should reach the double letters this year. :cheers:

Updated:

Ada County is up to 1A VC### and
Canyon County is up to 2C DX###

I don't know that it's a good indicator of growth. The reason I say this is because every seven years new plates are required for every vehicle. Fun to watch non-the-less.

Of course North Idaho has to be different. :haha: Seen a Kootenai County plate south of town today with K 402###.

jimthemanincda Jun 3, 2008 11:51 PM

Sandpoint bypass gets July start

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...reek_byway.jpg

Taryn Hecker
June 3, 2008

Construction of the controversial Sand Creek Byway – a project that's been in planning for half a century – could begin within weeks, even as opponents fight to further delay construction.

Bids will be opened today and crews could begin work on the budgeted $85 million project soon after the Fourth of July holiday, Idaho Transportation Department spokeswoman Barbara Babic said.

Meanwhile, the North Idaho Community Action Network and the Concerned Sandpoint Businesses Association are fighting the 2.1 mile bypass, which would route Highway 95 traffic off Sandpoint's city streets.

The byway would cross Sand Creek, a Lake Pend Oreille tributary, and require dredging and filling parts of the creek. Opponents are concerned about the environmental and aesthetic impacts.


"Our primary objective always has been wanting the state to look at other opportunities and other alternatives that don't require filling 11 acres of Sand Creek and building a wall literally up the middle of Sand Creek for 1,800 feet," said Pierre Bordenave, spokesman for the Sandpoint business group. "Sandpoint's going to be looking at a 30-foot wall for 1,800 feet."

The group has filed a challenge to the state Department of Environmental Quality's permit for the project. A hearing is scheduled for next week.

Meanwhile, the North Idaho Community Action Network is seeking an injunction to stall the project until the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rules on an appeal in a suit the network filed against the Transportation Department and the Federal Highway Administration.

Another suit – challenging the Army Corps of Engineers permit for the project – is pending in federal court.

"We expect a favorable ruling from the 9th Circuit," said Liz Sedler, the community action network's executive director. "That will push the project back."

Bordenave said he doubts the project will start when transportation officials say it will.

"For four years we've heard that the project's going to start next spring, next fall, next winter, next spring, next fall, next winter," he said.

Babic said the state agency has all the needed permits and approval to move forward, though.

As the start date nears, Babic said, the department will have a better idea of what kind of traffic delays might be expected.

Once work begins, Babic said, there will be weekly public meetings to provide the public with updates.

An information office has been open in Sandpoint for the past seven years, and Babic said the Transportation Department will keep that office open during construction.

Anyone with questions on the project can visit the office at 202 N. Second St. or call (208) 265-0897.
Link: http://www.spokesmanreview.com/local....asp?ID=247412

boisecynic Jun 4, 2008 2:40 AM

Regarding the Sand Creek bypass:

I don't get it. How could they be against this. Alternatives? What alternatives? 50 years from now no one will ever know about the disruption to Sand Creek.

IFguy Jun 4, 2008 6:17 PM

More jobs for IF's brother to the south.
 
Premier Technology in Pocatello to expand.

http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=8430743

Gotta love all the growth in this state.:tup:


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.