SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Austin (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=446)
-   -   Austin | South Austin Projects (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203271)

tildahat Jan 2, 2013 6:34 PM

Austin | South Austin Projects

Curious what others see happening in '45 in the next several years. (Full disclosure: that's where I live now and the previous house was in '45 too.)

I've always been surprised it's seen so little redevelopment and gentrification. I guess on some level, part of that is that it's so huge it's hard to make generalizations. But Stassney is about as far from 6th and Congress as Highland Mall and even William Cannon is about the same as Crestview from 6th and Congress, yet those areas are treated as 'central' and '45 is the hinterlands...

But I've always thought South Congress would have shifted a bit, but it pretty much looks like it has for years. It does seem on average east of the RR tracks is a little more run down (though there are nice spots and less nice ones all across the zip code).

Also, I would have expected the northern part around Westgate and Manchaca to have gentrified more. There are a few new infill projects but not what I would have expected, especially as close at it is to 78704.

One thing I'd love to see is some of the old dying strip malls to be turned into walkable town centers. I can walk to a fair amount of stuff (and sometimes walk with the kids to Westgate Lanes) but it's mostly not stuff I have any desire or need to go to...

Anyway, just curious what others opinions are.

lzppjb Jan 2, 2013 7:13 PM

My grandparents built their house there post-WWII. My grandpa built an addition onto it. Those neighborhoods are mostly medium sized houses with good sized backyards and mature trees. I basically grew up there up to HS as my grandma kept us kids before and after school while our parents worked. The house was on the Philco cul-de-sac, just west of the tracks.

I think it will eventually gentrify a bit. The older generations are unfortunately passing away. The houses get left to the kids and grandkids. They either get sold or renovated. We are in that boat right now. I don't know if it'll ever be all young single couples, which will keep it from being hip. I think it'll remain a family neighborhood. It seems Ben White is as far south as many are willing to go.

Jdawgboy Jan 3, 2013 2:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lzppjb (Post 5956495)
My grandparents built their house there post-WWII. My grandpa built an addition onto it. Those neighborhoods are mostly medium sized houses with good sized backyards and mature trees. I basically grew up there up to HS as my grandma kept us kids before and after school while our parents worked. The house was on the Philco cul-de-sac, just west of the tracks.

I think it will eventually gentrify a bit. The older generations are unfortunately passing away. The houses get left to the kids and grandkids. They either get sold or renovated. We are in that boat right now. I don't know if it'll ever be all young single couples, which will keep it from being hip. I think it'll remain a family neighborhood. It seems Ben White is as far south as many are willing to go.

Hey Im from and still live in that neighborhood, im on Jinx Ave.

KevinFromTexas Jan 3, 2013 2:48 AM

I live in 78745, and it feels more central to me than those northern neighborhoods. The access to downtown from our neighborhood cannot be beat. I can ride my bicycle to downtown in as little as 20 minutes, traffic and weather permitting. I can see Crockett HS from our patio, ACC is a 5 minute bike ride, the library is only 2 minutes further.

Our street has gone through a demographic change. I grew up here with a lot of families with kids. Those kids are grown up now and moved away, and most of the couples here now are middle aged. Most of the older people have passed away. My grandparents lived next door, they both passed away, and there's a young couple there now who renovated the house. And the house across the street from that house, the lady there also passed away a few years ago. It was bought by a house flipper, renovated, and was recently moved into. So right now it seems the bulk of our neighborhood is young to middle aged. The houses are being restored/renovated and added onto. There aren't too many kids anymore. I can think of maybe 2 houses on the street that I know of with young kids.

lzppjb Jan 3, 2013 3:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdawgboy (Post 5957078)
Hey Im from and still live in that neighborhood, im on Jinx Ave.

How old are you?

Did you know a Heather or Lacy? They'd be 29-30 now. I think they lived on that road. Either there or Hank.

tildahat Jan 3, 2013 4:10 PM

Just to be clear - I'm totally OK with it remaining family-oriented, I'm raising my kids here after all. Just would like more stuff to walk to, a neighborhood pub or two, some better restaurant and coffee shop choices, etc.

And I still think some of the stuff that hasn't been redeveloped is surprising, like the really rundown stuff on the west side of Westgate that's literally walking distance to million dollar homes in Sunset Valley.

Redeveloping old strip malls is just one of my pipe dreams to create little bits of walkability in older suburbia...

lzppjb Jan 3, 2013 5:10 PM

My cousin lives in the house there now. For food in that neighborhood, she really likes that little place by Randalls called Live Oak Market. It used to be a gas station. She says they have great sandwiches. The other place is the trailer Ah La Cart on Pack Saddle Pass.

I get your point about walkability though. That neighborhood has a ton of potential.

verybadgnome Jan 3, 2013 6:49 PM

The first house I bought was in '45 and I lived there from '00 to '09. I lived off of Cooper lane between Mathews and W. Cannon.

I really like my street but as a while the area let me down. I was hoping for a faster rate of change but the only retail improvement in almost a decade was the opening of the Newflower grocery store. The area is still dominated by huge 6 lane mini highways like W. Cannon and Slaughter that are not pedestrian or bike friendly at all. My bike ride to work was only 5 miles as the crow flies but over 6 taking the bike routes. I did love the 110 express going north on S. First Street and into Downtown.

Gentrification has occurred but it is a mild form and much more transitional. A lot of the old timers worked at the old Bergstrom base, and are much more redneck (not a bad thing) than the younger generation. One of my best friends in the old neighborhood was an Aggie, something that probably wouldn't happen in Hyde Park. My Aggie friend still can't believe that he has two lesbian couples living close to him so I guess the neighborhood has changed.

The houses in '45 were "family-sized" when built in the 60s and 70s, but right now they are perfect for singles and couples who don't have a lot of stuff and kids and want to live more simply.

I do not regret moving to the Holly neighborhood. Only downsides are all the loose dogs and lack of a good Chinese restaurant..............Your first house should probably never be your last one.

verybadgnome Jan 3, 2013 6:50 PM

I think gentrification happens in waves in one or two subareas of a city at a time. Right now it is East Riversides turn, but '45 and "LoCo" shouldn't be more than a decade behind.

lzppjb Jan 3, 2013 6:56 PM

LoCo?

verybadgnome Jan 3, 2013 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lzppjb (Post 5957876)
LoCo?

SoCo = South Congress
LoCo = Lower Congress, the length south of Ben White.

Example: "Yeah I bought a condo near Hill's Cafe in the LoCo area."

lzppjb Jan 3, 2013 8:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verybadgnome (Post 5957905)
SoCo = South Congress

Things you'll never hear me say for $100, Alex. :D

KevinFromTexas Jan 3, 2013 9:45 PM

West Gate and William Cannon give me the creeps as a cyclist or pedestrian. I pretty much never ride along those streets and try to find an alternate route instead. Way down West Gate it's a nice place to ride for recreation, but I don't ride strictly for recreation. Neither of those have bike lanes in those areas. West Gate does along the new section way down south, but there's so little traffic down there it doesn't matter much. William Cannon doesn't have bike lanes either from I-35 to Mopac. There are bike lanes on it west of Mopac headed towards Oak Hill. South First doesn't have bike lanes either, and one of our grocery stores is on it. When I ride my bike over there, I have to ride on the sidewalk, which I hate doing. And it's difficult when there are pedestrians since it's only about 3 feet wide. And of course there are none on Manchaca either, which is less of an issue because the sidewalks between William Cannon and Stassney on Manchaca are about 8 feet wide.

Meanwhile, they have widened the bike lanes on Stassney, at least putting down a double stripe to create a barrier. Same on Emerald Forrest, and they even put them way out from the curb since parked cars were making it hazardous to ride on that street, especially north of Stassney where it's all down hill.

tildahat Jan 4, 2013 1:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verybadgnome (Post 5957905)
SoCo = South Congress

Yeah, our first house was in Greenwood Hills across from Hill's Seems like some people started moving in and fixing up houses there about 10 years ago, but it has really stalled. We had some great neighbors, but there were enough bad ones that I'm really glad I don't live there any more...

verybadgnome Jan 4, 2013 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 5958127)
West Gate and William Cannon give me the creeps as a cyclist or pedestrian. I pretty much never ride along those streets and try to find an alternate route instead. Way down West Gate it's a nice place to ride for recreation, but I don't ride strictly for recreation. Neither of those have bike lanes in those areas. West Gate does along the new section way down south, but there's so little traffic down there it doesn't matter much. William Cannon doesn't have bike lanes either from I-35 to Mopac. There are bike lanes on it west of Mopac headed towards Oak Hill. South First doesn't have bike lanes either, and one of our grocery stores is on it. When I ride my bike over there, I have to ride on the sidewalk, which I hate doing. And it's difficult when there are pedestrians since it's only about 3 feet wide. And of course there are none on Manchaca either, which is less of an issue because the sidewalks between William Cannon and Stassney on Manchaca are about 8 feet wide.

Meanwhile, they have widened the bike lanes on Stassney, at least putting down a double stripe to create a barrier. Same on Emerald Forrest, and they even put them way out from the curb since parked cars were making it hazardous to ride on that street, especially north of Stassney where it's all down hill.

I always avoided the larger roads in '45. It takes awhile but I found backstreet routes to get where I needed to go. Emerald Forest isn't bad, but the section at the RR xing is terrible.

After living in '45 for awhile I realized the decade the neighborhood was developed is as important as the city it is in. Put it in other words I would probably take a pre-WWII neighborhood in another Texas city than an 80s/90s neighborhood in Austin. The car-first assumption is anathema to quality of life.

KevinFromTexas Jan 4, 2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verybadgnome (Post 5959480)
I always avoided the larger roads in '45. It takes awhile but I found backstreet routes to get where I needed to go. Emerald Forest isn't bad, but the section at the RR xing is terrible.

After living in '45 for awhile I realized the decade the neighborhood was developed is as important as the city it is in. Put it in other words I would probably take a pre-WWII neighborhood in another Texas city than an 80s/90s neighborhood in Austin. The car-first assumption is anathema to quality of life.

The funny thing is our vet is in Hyde Park, and I always feel like our neighborhood is more bike friendly than that area, despite the consensus being otherwise. They have a bike shop and there's a (narrow) bike lane along 51st Street, but the traffic in the area always seems so hectic, and Airport Boulevard is definitely not bike friendly. And we did have a bike shop on Manchaca near Stassney, but they moved to South Congress near Live Oak.

lzppjb Jan 4, 2013 11:19 PM

I'm not a bike guy at all, but I can see the positives of having a bike lane. Stassney and William Cannon can have them with just a little bit of work. As a driver, bikes can sometimes get in the way, but mostly it's just a safety thing. I'd rather them have that than riding in a car lane (dangerous for cyclists) or riding on the sidewalk (dangerous for pedestrians).

verybadgnome Jan 5, 2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 5959897)
The funny thing is our vet is in Hyde Park, and I always feel like our neighborhood is more bike friendly than that area, despite the consensus being otherwise. They have a bike shop and there's a (narrow) bike lane along 51st Street, but the traffic in the area always seems so hectic, and Airport Boulevard is definitely not bike friendly. And we did have a bike shop on Manchaca near Stassney, but they moved to South Congress near Live Oak.

I love cycling on Duval but not on 51st St. Central areas in Austin, and probably most cities, adhere more to a grid system which gives you lots of options.

Yes, Airport Blvd. isn't great to cycle on but keep in mind you have put your bike on the train at Highland Mall and avoid it. I go from Holly to the Triangle using the Highland Mall stop, bike-train-bike.

Is there a bike shop in 78745? I always went to Bicycle Sport Shop on S. Lamar when I lived there.

Yeah I can't imagine COA taking away a car lane on say W. Cannon to provide a bike lane. Same thing with S. First and parts of Manchaca. Even Davis Lane can get hairy sometimes.

lzppjb Jan 5, 2013 2:06 AM

http://www.bikealotaustin.com/

On Pack Saddle Pass where I mentioned the Ah La Cart food trailer.

KevinFromTexas Jan 5, 2013 2:09 AM

The only two bike shops showing up on Google that are in 78745 are near Ben White, so basically in 78704. I've been going to Performance Bike on South Lamar for a few years. There used to be several shops on South First north of Ben White that we used to go, but they've since closed. The nearest one to me now is Bikealot on Pack Saddle Pass near Ben White. I haven't been to that one actually.