SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Canada (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Speech pattern and typographical variations across Canada (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=209368)

Sarah89 Nov 12, 2019 2:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megadude (Post 8690348)
Lilly Singh's GTA accent often comes out in this monologue. Never watched her youtube channel and all I watched was half this clip. It wasn't very good. It was the first episode of her talk show. But, as is often the case with TV, it should get better as time goes on and they work out the kinks.

Video Link

Lilly tones down her vowel raising like every other Canadian in the entertainment industry. She said ''aboat'' in the early days of her youtube channel but no more. There is no GTA accent, there is slang.

megadude Nov 12, 2019 6:04 PM

No GTA accent? Just after 2:40 into the video you hear her say "about" in the most GTA way ever. Ya she's not consistently using the accent but it does come out.

And I admit, I often include slang in with accent to consolidate someone's speech pattern. It's just easier to say GTA accent instead of GTA speech patterns.

Architype Nov 12, 2019 8:53 PM

^ She also has that weird urban thing where "two" sounds a bit like "toe".

Loco101 Nov 13, 2019 1:20 AM

I've heard that she has a huge following among people of many Asian heritages in North America. Many of her jokes about her family and lifestyle are relatable to those people.
I think that she's funny but definitely see how her humour may not be for the average white male which almost all other talk shows have as their target.

kwoldtimer Nov 13, 2019 2:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architype (Post 8746521)
^ She also has that weird urban thing where "two" sounds a bit like "toe".

I didn't hear that, but her "to" as "tuh" is pretty Ontario standard.

SignalHillHiker Dec 14, 2019 2:57 AM

Memorial University announced its new President and Vice-Chancellor this week. I watched. The missus who introduces her is the chair of the Board of Regents. I thought her accent was a bit of a speech impediment, I've literally never encountered it before (and I know a solid 50% of the various accents on this island, and can place them). I mentioned it to a coworker and she laughed and said, "Oh that's where I'm from, Port de Grave. It's half New Yorker, half hick. I just talks proper at work." :haha:

Video Link

And she showed me a Facebook video of another person, same surname, from that town, and damn... I can't find it now but it was even stronger. Like she says "Vice-Chancellah" and the "ah" is small and it's ending. The other guy was like "Vice-Chancellaaaaaaaahhhhhhh" and "ah" was the longest part of his speaking lol

(One note since it likely won't be obvious: everyone laughs when she jokes she's coming March 31, not April 1, because that's how we joined Canada - it was supposed to be April 1 but they made it just a second before midnight on March 31 so people didn't think it was a joke)

megadude Dec 14, 2019 3:13 AM

Wow. That New York accent really does come out. That's one of the most bizarre accents I've ever heard in this country.