SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   [Dartmouth] Greenvale Lofts | ? m | 4 fl | Completed (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=145308)

someone123 Feb 2, 2008 4:58 AM

[Dartmouth] Greenvale Lofts | ? m | 4 fl | Completed

Here's another project near downtown Dartmouth: http://www.theloftsatgreenvale.com/

I believe it is approved but I'm not sure if the developers have started construction. The Greenvale School itself is from the 1910s and was designed by Andrew Cobb, a well-known local architect from that period. It is in rough shape but could be very attractive once restored.

Renderings:

Front facade on Ochterloney
http://www.theloftsatgreenvale.com/i...ring-north.gif

Side view with addition in the back
http://www.theloftsatgreenvale.com/i...ering-west.gif

Jonovision Feb 3, 2008 3:06 AM

This has been caught in limbo for a long time now. I think it's something about the developer and his workers?!

someone123 May 7, 2008 10:19 PM

The project website now says "apartment rentals opening soon".

Jonovision May 8, 2008 3:57 AM

"Openning soon"?! The building looks even worse now then ever! I really hope they do something soon.

Aya_Akai May 8, 2008 4:58 AM

Wow, this looks like a great development for the area. Really interesting style they are going after here, but damn its going to fit in well in that area. Cant wait to see it finished. The place now looks... uh.... it needs some help lol.

Takeo May 8, 2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 3536898)
The project website now says "apartment rentals opening soon".

Is that a new change to the website? This project has been stalled for I don't know how many years now.

Canopus May 8, 2008 11:27 AM

I don't see this happening. It's been how long in the works with nothing at all happening for at least the past 3 years?

I think it's a money issue.

sdm May 8, 2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canopus (Post 3538042)
I don't see this happening. It's been how long in the works with nothing at all happening for at least the past 3 years?

I think it's a money issue.

Isn't the developer doing something on tower road at the moment?

Canopus May 8, 2008 2:05 PM

I heard it was partially being financed by a local architect and that was teh hold up.

Really I can't see another reason beside money either way. Lofts would eb sought after, other developments have been happening in the area, the city likely wants this one to go and up until recently, the economy was booming and it's still not bad.

Who knows. Maybe they found an indian burial ground under it.

Jonovision May 11, 2008 3:11 AM

I was out with my camera the other day, and here's how this is looking.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...g?t=1210475478

hfx_chris May 11, 2008 8:30 PM

In other words, nothings changed.

someone123 May 11, 2008 8:58 PM

I hope this moves forward eventually. It's an interesting building.

reddog794 May 12, 2008 4:30 AM

Dartmouth is entering a renaissance, and I can't wait to this development break ground. Projects with this calibre of integration, are going to help bring back the community. I remember the Natal Day events downtown, Dartmouth that is, and I saw everybody I always see in the run of the day, but having fun! I can't wait! Shoot I might move back to old hood if I can afford one of those lofts.

Canopus May 12, 2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddog794 (Post 3546188)
Dartmouth is entering a renaissance, .

The traditional core is perhaps the most underutilized and undervalued areas in the city agreed. It has some great aspects that cannot be found in the Halifax core area and so on but Dartmouth's biggest problem are the pockets of crap that exist here and there.

If some sort of gentrification for lack of a better term, occurs then we may see certain neighborhoods change and/or some of the residents move which would be fantastic for the area. Factors such as fuel costs and downtown developments in the HRM core generally over the past 20 years have made the area much more attractive so there is a force that is building.

Now, we just need to remove the junk that has been holding the area back for generations.

reddog794 May 13, 2008 5:44 AM

What would really help with the area would be a community grocery store, like Metro in Montreal, or a Pete's, downtown, or near 5 corners. It struck me, looking at a picture in another thread, of the Greenvale area, and that newer brick buildings roof bothered me. What sort of green roof legislation is there?

Canopus May 13, 2008 10:51 AM

None that I know of.

Green roofing is a nice idea but I'm also not sure how much it costs the building owner in terms of LT maintenance and so on. Given the choice, money and extra work wise I can't imagine it would be a popular option.

Grocery stores like that are a hard sell. Some "boutique" ones like Pete's exist in major centers but mainly in upscale areas where the demand for specialty products is high. I'd love to see one but I doubt it will occur with the current area demographics.

If that big waterfront development in downtown Dart actually happens (Kings Landing or something?) then we could see a total sea change in available retail and business generally in the area.

ZET Mar 17, 2009 8:03 PM

There is a "power" tower (wood, 2 by 4's) on the north /west corner of the property. Has anyone heard any rumours about this going forward? ZET

hfx_chris Mar 18, 2009 2:07 AM

No rumors that I've heard... for some reason I'm thinking that tower has been there for a while, but I can't recall. I don't travel Ochterloney that often.

ZET Mar 20, 2009 12:42 AM

On Wednesday there was a backhoe on the West side of the lot and chain link fence piled up at the back of the building. Something is in process. ZET

hfx_chris Mar 20, 2009 1:01 AM

I happily stand corrected :)

Jonovision Mar 20, 2009 3:20 AM

That would be great news! I just emailed Dexel to ask them if anything was starting.

miesh111 Mar 20, 2009 6:13 PM

I know Dexell,

They do one project at a time. I saw one of the top people at Dexel at a community function a while back and he was saying that they have enough projects lined up to last them another 15 years. They wait cause they're a family business and they all get involved in each project. That's probably why this one was held up, not money, as I know they have tonnes of money.

Jonovision Mar 21, 2009 3:21 AM

I just got an email from Louie Lowen who is one of the head guys there that I know. He says things are proceeding on this project. Which is great news for Dartmouth.

dartmouthian Mar 21, 2009 3:34 AM

for a while I was beginning to think that this project was dead in the water. It's great to hear that it's finally starting.=)

kph06 Mar 27, 2009 9:35 PM

Things seem to be rolling now, I drove by today, there is a Dexel sign up and a Temporary power hookup built, just not attached to the grid.

ZET Mar 27, 2009 11:20 PM

The Dexel sign (on the tree) has been there for over a year, The power stand is about a week old. ZET

ZET Mar 28, 2009 7:47 PM

Electricians have installed hookups on the Temporary power hookup tower; now it just needs to be connected to the street and the building. Movin along. ZET

ZET Mar 28, 2009 8:06 PM

a

kph06 Apr 3, 2009 5:19 PM

There was activity here today, RKO Steel is on site and there is a small trailer now.

sdm Apr 6, 2009 9:51 PM

news in allnovascotia.com today regarding this saying they are going to proceed.

someone123 Apr 6, 2009 10:51 PM

Oh, good. This is an interesting little building that deserves to be preserved.

Downtown Dartmouth is doing pretty well these days.

Keith P. Apr 7, 2009 2:02 AM

Looking at the floorplans I don't see any provision for an elevator. That surprises me. I thought all new developments had to be accessible.

hfx_chris Apr 7, 2009 11:41 AM

I'm sure there would be one... there has to be one, doesn't there?

Anyway, noticed they're erecting a fence around the property this morning.

sdm Apr 7, 2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfx_chris (Post 4181880)
I'm sure there would be one... there has to be one, doesn't there?

Anyway, noticed they're erecting a fence around the property this morning.

There doesn't have to be if the building is three stories or less (i believe to be correct).

As for accessability requirements, yes the building needs to meet them, and they will meet them by putting the required units on the main level.

I think its a great project and look forward to seeing it start.

hfx_chris Apr 7, 2009 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdm (Post 4181908)
There doesn't have to be if the building is three stories or less (i believe to be correct).

But this is more than 3 stories

sdm Apr 7, 2009 2:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfx_chris (Post 4182063)
But this is more than 3 stories

depends on what level the entrance is, ie i believe the build is 4 stories on one end, 3 on the other (entrance).

hfx_chris Apr 7, 2009 6:35 PM

The entrance is on the bottom floor, at the back/side where it's 4 floors. That entrance facing Ochterloney Street is - according to the floor plans - the entrance to one of the units.

ZET Apr 7, 2009 6:44 PM

It would be nice if they could do something with the attic in the original building. It's quite neat up there.
Pictures inside Greevale and also the Masonic Lodge:
http://angelacarlsen.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html
ZET

sdm Apr 7, 2009 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfx_chris (Post 4182515)
The entrance is on the bottom floor, at the back/side where it's 4 floors. That entrance facing Ochterloney Street is - according to the floor plans - the entrance to one of the units.

Again i believed it to be 3, but it could be slightly higher. I know for example you can do wooden construction to 5 stories for multi family by the building codes.

They may consider the bottom floor basement, even though its the main entrance and therefore still be allowed under the 3 story rule.

Either way they are not showing an elevator so they must not require it.

Jonovision Apr 7, 2009 8:11 PM

Ummmm......I don't know what plans you guys were looking at but i lifted this off the PDF for the main floor. I highlighted the elevator.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3409/...aa9513.jpg?v=0

I also lifted this little 3d line drawing.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3408/...ab1f31.jpg?v=0

hfx_chris Apr 7, 2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonovision (Post 4182707)
Ummmm......I don't know what plans you guys were looking at but i lifted this off the PDF for the main floor. I highlighted the elevator.

:rolleyes:

City_of_Lakes Apr 8, 2009 2:10 PM

This is interesting. I've always liked this building and i'm glad it's being preserved. Go Dartmouth!

Keith P. Apr 9, 2009 1:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonovision (Post 4182707)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3409/...aa9513.jpg?v=0

Oh, good. They must have fixed it. ;)

Dmajackson May 7, 2009 7:25 PM

Any progress reports on this one?

kph06 May 7, 2009 7:31 PM

I drive by a few times a week, definately work being done, but at a quick glance it must be all interior work. Mainly looks more run-down for the moment.

miesh111 May 20, 2009 5:22 PM

I just got off the phone with Dexel's project manager, was talking to him on somthing else, anyway, he says they are just working on permits and should start full scale construction as soon as everything is ready to go. He said a matter of weeks, not months.

Jonovision May 22, 2009 1:25 PM

Here's some pics I took two weeks ago of the site.

http://inlinethumb38.webshots.com/42...600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/45...600x600Q85.jpg

And just another one of the surrounding neighbourhood.

http://inlinethumb51.webshots.com/42...600x600Q85.jpg

JET May 22, 2009 2:05 PM

Interesting to note that the Sobeys property east of Greenvale is for sale. Be nice to see something there, in scale with the neighborhood. JET

Dmajackson May 28, 2009 7:30 PM

Greenvale site active again
After years of waiting, construction has started at the old school site

Halifax News Net
http://www.halifaxnewsnet.com/photos...ale%20Reno.jpg

By Joanie Veitch – The Weekly News
After years of waiting and wondering if anything other than further decay and deterioration was going to happen to the old Greenvale School building, a construction crew with Dexel Developments Ltd. is working at the site.
“The project is moving forward. We’ve got all the development permits in place and the work crew is in there now getting it construction ready,” said Erin Sparrow, a spokesperson with Dexel Developments.
The project, called the Lofts at Greenvale, will cost as much as $6 million to create 36 rental units, 13 in the existing structure and 23 in an addition planned for the rear of the building.
The project was first announced five years ago when developer Louis Lawen reached an agreement in principle with HRM to develop the site. Dexel didn’t, however, actually get ownership of the property until late 2007 due to problems that had to be worked out with the city in regards to an old sewer line at the exterior of the property.
Lawen took the project before a council committee in 2005 and again in 2006 in regards to a protective exterior cladding system he proposed for the building. In 2007 Lawen was back at the Harbour East Community Council with proposed amendments to a portion of the development proposal.

While the delays have meant further deterioration to the 94-year-old building, Lawen said the end result is that “the shape and form of the building will remain as it is.”
The building will be clad with an Exterior Insulation and Finish System (EIFS), a rigid foam insulation and cladding material that gives a stucco-like finish (such as the MEC building in Halifax).
Built in 1915 to replace the original school that had been destroyed by fire in 1914, the red brick Greenvale School building is a well-known and much-loved landmark in downtown Dartmouth. Although downtown residents have long hoped to see it saved and used for some public purpose, it has stood empty since the Dartmouth school board’s music department moved out in 1987.
On the project website — theloftsatgreen vale.com — Dexel Developments bills itself as a landmark restoration expert “focused primarily on residential apartments and the regeneration of existing heritage properties … with a knack for maintaining historical character.”

Site History:

* Opened in 1915, one of four buildings in the city designed by architect Andrew Cobb.
* Following the explosion in the Halifax Harbour on Dec. 6, 1917, Greenvale was used as a sanctuary and infirmary for the injured and homeless.
* From 1934-59, Greenvale was Dartmouth’s only high school. It reverted to an elementary school when Dartmouth High School opened.
* Finally closed its doors in 1987. Proposed as home for new Dartmouth library in the early 1990s, but the idea was rejected in favour of the waterfront site.
*Dexel Developments reached an agreement in principle with HRM in 2004 to buy the building, pending approval of the plans.

jveitch@ns.sympatico.ca

Jonovision May 28, 2009 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ (Post 4274840)
[I]Greenvale site active again

Lawen took the project before a council committee in 2005 and again in 2006 in regards to a protective exterior cladding system he proposed for the building......While the delays have meant further deterioration to the 94-year-old building, Lawen said the end result is that “the shape and form of the building will remain as it is.”
The building will be clad with an Exterior Insulation and Finish System (EIFS), a rigid foam insulation and cladding material that gives a stucco-like finish (such as the MEC building in Halifax).

I'm interested in what this might look like. I'm a bit sad they aren't able to maintain the brick facade.