SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   City of Winnipeg Politics | Municipal (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197147)

chrisallard5454 Jan 18, 2012 6:48 PM

City of Winnipeg Politics | Municipal

So it seems Katz may be out of the job if he loses a court battle to Joe Chan. I disagree with the spending of public money on a Christmas Party, but to do it in a restaurant you own, that is just plain ballsy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-winnipeg.html

1ajs Jan 18, 2012 7:33 PM

aww really?

cheswick Jan 18, 2012 11:59 PM

I can understand he issue with using his restsurant but those that complain about tax money going to perks like this I don't quite follow their logic.

I work in the private sector and got a company paid for holiday party. The government competes against the private sector to hire people. Similar perks that are available in the private sector should be available to government employees if they want to attract similar level of talent. Should all government employees make minimum wage as to not waste taxpayer money? Of course not. Not sure how giving the employees a Christmas lunch is any different. It's simply a form of compensation available to similar employees in the private sector.

1ajs Jan 19, 2012 12:53 AM

what hes complaining about is a confilic of interest and as a result katz is breaking the law he can be forced to vacate his position and or be forced to pay it back if found guilty

vid Jan 19, 2012 1:21 AM

If government employees were all minimum wage workers, we'd be in a truly sorry state. If you think the government wastes money now, just stick a bunch of people who skills are worth $10.25/hour in charge and see how much worse things get.

Kinguni Jan 19, 2012 4:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 (Post 5554690)
I disagree with the spending of public money on a Christmas Party

Hey, I'm a public employee and didn't get a Christmas party! Where mine?

That said, regardless of the discount or savings, it's a conflict of interest. Fine to take staff there, but it shouldn't have cost the public purse one dime.

drew Jan 19, 2012 5:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheswick (Post 5555193)
I work in the private sector and got a company paid for holiday party. The government competes against the private sector to hire people. Similar perks that are available in the private sector should be available to government employees if they want to attract similar level of talent. Should all government employees make minimum wage as to not waste taxpayer money? Of course not. Not sure how giving the employees a Christmas lunch is any different. It's simply a form of compensation available to similar employees in the private sector.

I would argue that in a lot of cases for those middle of the road jobs, the public sector competes against the government to hire people more so than the other way around.

Christmas parties are great, but I would gladly give that up in favour of the extra holidays, sick days, pensions, job security, etc. etc. that government workers get.

dpenner Jan 19, 2012 6:01 PM

theoretically if Katz would be forced to vacate his position what process would occur to fill the position? Not really familiar with that process, would there be another municipal election or would Wasylycia-Leis take the position as she finished second in the last election?

h0twired Jan 19, 2012 6:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 5555278)
what hes complaining about is a confilic of interest and as a result katz is breaking the law he can be forced to vacate his position and or be forced to pay it back if found guilty

Define "breaking the law". What law or line in the City Charter is there that states that the mayor's office cannot pay for a Christmas party out of the office budget? Even if said restaurant is owned (in part) by the mayor himself.

At the end of the day there were probably 100+ people at the party and the total bill came in under $3000. That is a pretty cheap party when you really break it down.

What percentage of Hu's does Katz own?

If anything I suspect that the party was done at-cost and the owners made nothing at all. Even if there was a profit to be had Katz' portion would be laughably minimal.

Sure the optics are terrible, but people are really raising a stink about next to nothing and most of those upset vocal people will do anything to smear Katz at any tiny infraction.

Bdog Jan 19, 2012 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h0twired (Post 5556270)
Define "breaking the law". What law or line in the City Charter is there that states that the mayor's office cannot pay for a Christmas party out of the office budget? Even if said restaurant is owned (in part) by the mayor himself.

At the end of the day there were probably 100+ people at the party and the total bill came in under $3000. That is a pretty cheap party when you really break it down.

What percentage of Hu's does Katz own?

If anything I suspect that the party was done at-cost and the owners made nothing at all. Even if there was a profit to be had Katz' portion would be laughably minimal.

Sure the optics are terrible, but people are really raising a stink about next to nothing and most of those upset vocal people will do anything to smear Katz at any tiny infraction.

I think you're missing the point of the outcry. It's not that the party was taxpayer funded, but that it was held at a restaurant owned by the mayor. Probably 100+ people? Not sure how you can guess the amount that were there (and I'm not even sure that place would hold that many).

Katz said other places were packed, and that he could get a good deal - what process is in place to make sure that's the case?

More importantly, the fact that Katz doesn't see the conflict in this makes people worry about what other business practices he considers ethical. Maybe it's ok to give a long term library lease to a buddy's property, because they can get the best deal? Maybe it's ok to hire a buddy's consulting firm (without shopping around), because other firms were too busy? For someone always railing against taxpayer waste, I'm surprised you can defend this...

dpenner Jan 19, 2012 6:54 PM

He was quoted somewhere in the paper about specifically choosing to hold the party at his restaurant because he could provide all the food and service at cost thus saving money. I agree it looks way worse then it looks. If the bill was around 3000$ I think its ridiculous how much attention this issue has got. Smear campaign for sure, and if your going to attack that then you mine as well start investigating every single expense account by every political figure in the city and whatnot. I would assume there would be bigger issues there.

h0twired Jan 19, 2012 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdog (Post 5556320)
I think you're missing the point of the outcry. It's not that the party was taxpayer funded, but that it was held at a restaurant owned by the mayor. Probably 100+ people? Not sure how you can guess the amount that were there (and I'm not even sure that place would hold that many).

Katz said other places were packed, and that he could get a good deal - what process is in place to make sure that's the case?

More importantly, the fact that Katz doesn't see the conflict in this makes people worry about what other business practices he considers ethical. Maybe it's ok to give a long term library lease to a buddy's property, because they can get the best deal? Maybe it's ok to hire a buddy's consulting firm (without shopping around), because other firms were too busy? For someone always railing against taxpayer waste, I'm surprised you can defend this...

You can't extrapolate something like that.

What about your neighbour kids who smoke weed? Are they also gang leaders pimping teenage girls while trafficking illegal weapons and heroin?

h0twired Jan 19, 2012 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpenner (Post 5556321)
He was quoted somewhere in the paper about specifically choosing to hold the party at his restaurant because he could provide all the food and service at cost thus saving money. I agree it looks way worse then it looks. If the bill was around 3000$ I think its ridiculous how much attention this issue has got. Smear campaign for sure, and if your going to attack that then you mine as well start investigating every single expense account by every political figure in the city and whatnot. I would assume there would be bigger issues there.

How many people are getting bus passes from Ross Eadie?

How many of those people are friends of his?

rypinion Jan 19, 2012 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h0twired (Post 5556347)

What about your neighbour kids who smoke weed? Are they also gang leaders pimping teenage girls while trafficking illegal weapons and heroin?

Is he actually extrapolating? Those other cases he mentioned actually happened, no?

h0twired Jan 19, 2012 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rypinion (Post 5556355)
Is he actually extrapolating? Those other cases he mentioned actually happened, no?

Even if it is true, this is nothing unique to City Hall and Sam Katz and is small potatoes compared to what happens at a provincial level.

Bdog Jan 19, 2012 8:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h0twired (Post 5556347)

Extrapolate? Not sure what you mean. The point here is that the mayor cannot see how this scenario could be perceived as a conflict of interest. In fact, he called it a "win-win". To me, and many others obviously, this says something about the mayor's character and ethics. If using public office for private gain in this instance doesn't smell of conflict of interest to you, then we'll agree to disagree.

Bdog Jan 19, 2012 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h0twired (Post 5556362)
Even if it is true, this is nothing unique to City Hall and Sam Katz and is small potatoes compared to what happens at a provincial level.

Ah yes - the old "well, Charlie's even MORE corrupt than me, so it's ok"...

Boreal Jan 19, 2012 10:51 PM

It's bad optics. If I was to venture a guess, yes, Sam Katz probably did save the taxpayers a few dollars, but the optics are terrible, and as a professional he should know that optics matter.

1ajs Jan 20, 2012 8:17 AM

katz is a saint now??
aww

he privitized our sand pits wa 60 millin dallor asset he sould for 10illion to a freind... like come on...

we can also bring up the parking lot he got himself free rent on beside his park no? theres endless list of scrupious buisnes deals hes made.........

if u guys even knew half the shit i've heard about him. the media knows and yet says very little

rypinion Jan 20, 2012 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 5557245)
theres endless list of scrupious buisnes deals hes made.........

Do you mean scrupulous? If so, probably not the word you're looking for:

scru·pu·lous/ˈskro͞opyələs/
Adjective:

(of a person or process) Diligent, thorough, and extremely attentive to details.
Very concerned to avoid doing wrong.

vid Jan 21, 2012 6:51 PM

Nikki Ashton kind of looks like Tony Clement.

1ajs Jan 21, 2012 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid (Post 5558715)
Nikki Ashton kind of looks like Tony Clement.

shes federal

vid Jan 21, 2012 10:13 PM

So is he... ? :shrug:

Oh I know what you're saying now. Yeah, I just posted it here because there was no where else to put it but I had to say it somewhere. The similarity creeped me out.

J-MAN Jan 22, 2012 2:55 AM

Quote:

I disagree with the spending of public money on a Christmas Party, but to do it in a restaurant you own, that is just plain ballsy.
I still don't see anything wrong with any of this. :shrug:

vid Jan 22, 2012 4:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-MAN (Post 5559199)
I still don't see anything wrong with any of this. :shrug:

Sam Katz did it. Therefore, it's wrong.

Only The Lonely.. Jan 25, 2012 3:11 AM

The Katz Xmas party is sooo not worth losing sleep over.

There are a good number of very real problems that we should be talking about instead, like the lack of private capital available for investment in this city since Crocus left, the zero level of vision on a long term transit strategy for this city, runaway crime, etc. etc.

chrisallard5454 Jan 25, 2012 3:15 AM

Does anyone know of anyone who would make a competent mayor? Everyone talks about how amazing they would be in office, but I am surprised at the lack of quality people that run for office. The fact that a majority of the voters went with "Well I have to vote Katz or Judy will become mayor" is a sad statement. As all of us are potential mayors here ;) what would be some major implementations here. Lets be formal about this. I would like to here some solid political ideas coming forth from this. I am good friends with Greg's kid, Pascal Toupin Selinger. He has told me he would love to be mayor, and I personally believe one day, after some maturing, he would do a good job.

h0twired Jan 25, 2012 2:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 (Post 5562991)
Does anyone know of anyone who would make a competent mayor?

I would.

However I wouldn't want to take on the longer work hours, personal scrutiny, stress and huge pay cut. Being a mayor is a thankless job.

I suspect most smart successful people feel the same way.

Bdog Jan 25, 2012 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h0twired (Post 5563330)
I would.

However I wouldn't want to take on the longer work hours, personal scrutiny, stress and huge pay cut. Being a mayor is a thankless job.

Wow, and from all the talk here I would have thought there were no well-paying private sector jobs in Winnipeg. And yet, making $123,000 (1/3 tax free, so actually much higher than that) is a HUGE pay cut for you. Not to mention the huge expense account, and mayors office budget... Not bad Hotwired, not bad ;)

Bdog Jan 25, 2012 7:31 PM

Quote:

I would.

I would also love to hear some of your proposals. Where could we cut spending? How would we pay for major infrastructure projects? Etc...

Jets4Life Jan 25, 2012 11:46 PM

i voted for Rav Gill. I have him on twitter. Funny guy.

rrskylar Jan 26, 2012 3:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 5557245)
katz is a saint now??
aww

he privitized our sand pits wa 60 millin dallor asset he sould for 10illion to a freind... like come on...

we can also bring up the parking lot he got himself free rent on beside his park no? theres endless list of scrupious buisnes deals hes made.........

if u guys even knew half the shit i've heard about him. the media knows and yet says very little

Katz isn't there for anyone but himself.

rrskylar Jan 31, 2012 5:15 PM

Sam Katz-West St. Paul-Brent Olynyk connect the dots.

chrisallard5454 Feb 15, 2012 6:12 PM

http://www.jus.gov.mb.ca/

Type in Andrew Marquess.
He is the developer who Katz allowed to head the Fort Rouge infill project.

He has had 28 suites against him.

rypinion Feb 15, 2012 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 (Post 5591693)

Type in Andrew Marquess.

He has had 28 suites against him.

That's almost enough to build one of the buildings. ;)

Jets4Life Feb 16, 2012 4:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 (Post 5591693)

Type in Andrew Marquess.

He has had 28 suits against him.

Not surprising.

Ever hear of the saying "Birds of a feather flock together?"

alittle1 Feb 16, 2012 4:17 PM

Quote:

I would.

Al Golden would like you to thank him less, can you vote for him next time he runs?

You ever wonder why Katz doesn't mention Golden's name anymore? They've been separated ever since Katz did a number on Golden at the ballpark on the concession business. Katz gave it to someone who could do him more good and put coin in his pocket.

Katz is the only guy I know that can shake your hand and pick your pocket at the same time. Yeah, its a thankless job, but its lucrative.

Bdog Mar 2, 2012 6:07 PM

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

‘O Brad Wall, Brad Wall, wherefore art thou?'

By: Bruce Owen

Posted: 02/29/2012 12:36 PM | Comments: 8 (including replies)

Quote:

The last time I checked, he had a full-time job in Saskatchewan.

But that hasn’t stopped a few on Manitoba’s right from trying to clone Wall and his success with the Saskatchewan Party in Manitoba.

They apparently want to call it the Manitoba Party with the goal of fielding candidates in the next provincial election in 2015. It would include disgruntled Tories and Liberals and anyone else who views the reigning NDP as a Marxist scourge driving the province to financial ruin, making it the Mississippi of Canada.

If Wall is their messiah, Saskatoon radio host John Gormley is their prophet. His book Left Out: Saskatchewan's NDP and the Relentless Pursuit of Mediocrity is considered essential reading for those who see a future so bleak, because of Manitoba’s NDP, that their children’s children will be living in dung huts on a scorched prairie. Gormley’s book is part a how-to on how to fight back against so-called unimaginative, uninspired, do-nothing government. In Saskatchewan’s case, that would be the NDP under Roy Romanow and later Lorne Calvert.

In Manitoba, a new right-wing party could supposedly duplicate the Saskatchewan Party’s electoral success. Wall was swept into office in 2007 and last Nov. 7, cemented his and his party’s hold on power by winning 49 of 58 seats in the Saskatchewan legislature, leaving the once-mighty NDP with nine seats.

Again, the general feeling of those said to be behind a Manitoba Party — I’ve tried to speak to some of those said to be involved, but they’re as quiet as church mice on a Sunday—is that this province is in the same floundering boat Saskatchewan was before Wall.

The icing on the cake for them was the Oct. 4 provincial election and the Progressive Conservative’s failure to win more than the 19 seats it already had going into the fall campaign.

There’s also the dismal PC campaign, abandoning the proud Tory legacy of former Premier Gary Filmon, in a misguided attempt to outdo the NDP on just about every plank except the Bipole III transmission line.

Because of that, they believe that the Progressive Conservative name is so damaged it won’t be able to recover by 2015, and that the NDP will coast to victory for another four years.

So, what is to be done?

Easy, they say. Unite. Unite. Unite. Fight. Fight. Fight.

Trouble is, is the Progressive Conservative name really that damaged in Manitoba?

Yes, to talk and to look at some in the party five months after the election it’s like watching an episode of The Walking Dead.

But there’s still a pulse. Its heart still beats.

Why the Saskatchewan Party has been so successful in that province is because the Progressive Conservatives cut their own throats. The lid on their coffin was hammered shut in the early '90s when 14 former PC MLAs were convicted of fraud and breach of trust in a phony expense-claim scandal.

In Manitoba, we don’t have that. We only have a PC Party that made a few dumb decisions in the fall campaign. There will be no criminal charges, no public inquiry.

What’s also missing is a Brad Wall. Simply, we don’t have one.

Another drawback to this low chatter about a Manitoba Party is that it distracts from the real business at hand — finding a replacement for outgoing PC leader Hugh McFadyen and then moving forward.

Whether it’s to be Brian Pallister or Kelvin Goertzen or whomever, they’ll have their hands full enough raising the PC profile going into 2015 without being sandbagged by a second right-wing party.

Unless, of course, the PCs do the unthinkable and fold their tent and join it.

bruce.owen@freepress.mb.ca
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...140900783.html

Winnipegger@Heart Mar 6, 2012 10:52 AM

I see great potential in this new party.

Authentic_City Mar 6, 2012 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnipegger@Heart (Post 5617171)
I see great potential in this new party.

I see great potential to split the right of centre vote.

h0twired Mar 6, 2012 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Authentic_City (Post 5617269)
I see great potential to split the right of centre vote.

Not in this case.

There are many who vote NDP because there really is no other option and nothing new being brought to the table.

The Manitoba Party will distance themselves from "right-wing" or "conservative" ideals and focus more on issues that impact Manitoba and the bottom line of budgets for the province as well as individuals.

If they are smart they will focus on the following:

- Making Manitoba more competitive on a business side
- Changes to encourage more oil and mining development in Manitoba
- Lowering provincial income taxes (or raising the brackets) to something closer to Sask
- Addressing the provincial portion of property tax bills
- Removing the MPI monopoly on auto insurance
- Removing PST on used cars
- Privatizing liquor sales and opening the market to more small breweries and wineries
- Forcing Manitoba Hydro to be more fiscally responsible and addressing how to handle crown profits.
- Elimination of Sunday shopping laws
- Elimination of the Peak Of The Market monopoly (will go over well for the farmers market crowd)

rypinion Mar 6, 2012 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h0twired (Post 5617314)
Not in this case.

There are many who vote NDP because there really is no other option and nothing new being brought to the table.

The Manitoba Party will distance themselves from "right-wing" or "conservative" ideals and focus more on issues that impact Manitoba and the bottom line of budgets for the province as well as individuals.

- Lowering provincial income taxes (or raising the brackets) to something closer to Sask
- Privatizing liquor sales and opening the market to more small breweries and wineries
- Forcing Manitoba Hydro to be more fiscally responsible and addressing how to handle crown profits.
- Elimination of the Peak Of The Market monopoly (will go over well for the farmers market crowd)

Yikes, I can see this thread getting pretty busy this week...

Bdog Mar 6, 2012 4:43 PM

Quote:

Not in this case.

How would your proposed platform not split the right-vote? If this party is created, but isn't "all in" (i.e. can't run candidates province wide, doesn't see many defections from the PC's, etc), it's going to guarantee an NDP majority in 2015. All they'd need to do is win a few Tory ridings. While I tend to support the provincial NDP, even I don't want to see an opposition in total dissaray.

The only hope this party has is if it completely replaces the PC party - otherwise, they're just a different version of the provincial liberals...

h0twired Mar 6, 2012 6:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdog (Post 5617425)
How would your proposed platform not split the right-vote? If this party is created, but isn't "all in" (i.e. can't run candidates province wide, doesn't see many defections from the PC's, etc), it's going to guarantee an NDP majority in 2015. All they'd need to do is win a few Tory ridings. While I tend to support the provincial NDP, even I don't want to see an opposition in total dissaray.

The only hope this party has is if it completely replaces the PC party - otherwise, they're just a different version of the provincial liberals...

What you are failing to realize is that the provincial NDP isn't that far left. They are far more centrist and only really win elections because the PCs can't seem to find a leader with and charisma or a platform that engages the people.

If anything I can see the Manitoba Party running right up the middle of the pack taking votes from both sides. I know a lot of people who begrudgingly vote for the NDP or PCs only because they can't stand the other respective party.

Take the last election? What new ideas did the PCs have? Exactly. None.

All they talked about was "its time for a change" and "the NDP has done nothing". No new platform ideas (at least worth caring about) and just hoping to win because they would be "new".

That said, it wasn't like the NDP won on some left wing platform either.

Bdog Mar 6, 2012 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h0twired (Post 5617631)
What you are failing to realize is that the provincial NDP isn't that far left. They are far more centrist and only really win elections because the PCs can't seem to find a leader with and charisma or a platform that engages the people.

If anything I can see the Manitoba Party running right up the middle of the pack taking votes from both sides. I know a lot of people who begrudgingly vote for the NDP or PCs only because they can't stand the other respective party.

Take the last election? What new ideas did the PCs have? Exactly. None.

All they talked about was "its time for a change" and "the NDP has done nothing". No new platform ideas (at least worth caring about) and just hoping to win because they would be "new".

That said, it wasn't like the NDP won on some left wing platform either.

I'm not the one who fails to realize that the provincial NDP isn't far left - it's not me you see on these boards calling them socialists. My point was that based on the policies you mentioned (and the fact that there is talk about a new centre-right party at all) is that they are obviously trying to appeal to disillusioned tories. Obviously they will take more votes from the PC's than the NDP. But, let's just say that somehow, they actually appealled equally to PC and NDP voters, siphoning off the exact same amount of voters from each party - the NDP would still win in a landslide!

Either way, if this is going to happen, now's the time. The PC leadership race is in total disarray, with few qualified candidates stepping forward (you know you're in trouble when Paula Havixbeck is considered a top 3 contender). Pizza boy dropped out the other day, so I guess it's between Goertzen and Pallister, unless someone steps up (hopefully they can recruit someone like Dave Angus). We don't have even close to the same circumstances here that led to the Sask Party, so I doubt this is going to happen. Instead, why don't the PC's just run on the platform you suggested Hotwired?

rrskylar Mar 6, 2012 7:25 PM

Quote:

Not in this case.

Sounds good to me. With the proposal of addressing the provincial portion of property tax bills are referring to removing the school division tax on the property tax bill?

North of 49 Mar 7, 2012 1:37 AM

I think it's funny that people don't really understand the definition of socialism and capitalism and what it means to be a conservative. What does that all mean?

We put labels on groups and call them conservative. We label society as capitalist or socialist. Actually in it's current forms it does not really equate to the definitions.

We in North america have never ever been a capitalist society in it's purest form. We pay taxes and when we pay, it's suppose to benefit the majority of society. (even if it doesn't) Canada is a Parliamentary Socialistic Democracy.

Unfortunately in it present form our political system (some) is controlled and covertly influenced by corporations that are self serving.

Money buys influence = Power

So from what we have been told and what really is we're no more free than those poor pheasants during the feudal systems of the past.

I believe the type of society history will say about 21st Century Canada or the western world is that it's oligarchy.

Power is truly with the few with deep pockets.

Winnipegger Mar 7, 2012 4:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North of 49 (Post 5618185)
I think it's funny that people don't really understand the definition of socialism and capitalism and what it means to be a conservative. What does that all mean?

We put labels on groups and call them conservative. We label society as capitalist or socialist. Actually in it's current forms it does not really equate to the definitions.

We in North america have never ever been a capitalist society in it's purest form. We pay taxes and when we pay, it's suppose to benefit the majority of society. (even if it doesn't) Canada is a Parliamentary Socialistic Democracy.

Unfortunately in it present form our political system (some) is controlled and covertly influenced by corporations that are self serving.

Money buys influence = Power

So from what we have been told and what really is we're no more free than those poor pheasants during the feudal systems of the past.

I believe the type of society history will say about 21st Century Canada or the western world is that it's oligarchy.

Power is truly with the few with deep pockets.

I'm sorry but many of your statements simply do not make sense. First of all, capitalism is a vague term and it does indeed describe many of the world's economic systems, INCLUDING Canada's. Canada is not a "socialistic" democracy. We are a capitalistic country with a large welfare safety net. Welfare is "socialistic", but it doesn't mean we're not capitalistic. Capitalism means a system of private ownership of production. You cannot tell me that that does not exist here in Canada. Communism and pure socialism is not capitalism because either the state or the collective own the means of production (capital), but this is not the case in Canada.

As for being "no no more free than those poor pheasants during the feudal systems of the past", I have to disagree. Do you even know the upward social mobility that is in your hands right now just because you are a Canadian citizen? You cannot even begin to compare yourself to a 13th century peasant in western Europe tied to his lord's manor. In Canada you have the freedom to switch jobs if you have the qualifications. If you don't have the qualifications, you can go to school. Don't have money for school? Take out a governmental loan which usually include high levels of subsidies (government grants, interest free periods, University grants, etc) and get that qualifications.

Not to mention that you are free to move around this country and find a different place to live, chose your job, utilize the public health care system, unemployment, etc. Oh and don't even get me started on the wide range of consumer goods that are available to you, non durable and durable. Cheap cars, expensive cars, cheap clothes, expensive clothes, fresh fruit in Winnipeg when it's -40 from the other side of the world, fresh bread every time you walk into the store, fast food that will make you unhealthy or healthy food that will make you gag, delicacies from other cultures, imported tools, oil, chemicals, plastics, you name it! So don't you dare tell me that we are "no more free" than peasants when we have live in an era and country when you have more upward social mobility, luxuries, social safety nets, and comforts than at any other time in history.

The middle class lives better than kings did hundreds of years ago.

vid Mar 8, 2012 12:28 AM

The term most widely accepted by people who study such things is "mixed-market liberal democracy". Both Canada and the United States are "mixed-market liberal democracies".

In this term, the word "liberal" means "ample freedom", not "left wing ideology".

North of 49 Mar 8, 2012 1:43 AM

Winnipegger

Your right. My emotional rant on people's need affiliate with a certain political ideologies without really understanding what they are. :shrug:

Appreciate the correction.