SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Office Space Market (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192174)

caltrane74 Feb 16, 2012 1:56 PM

There is talk of an office tower being planned in Toronto - Supertall!!

Rumour has it the foundations and footings may already exist at the site of a planned office tower from the 1980's or 90's.

Could be BAC 2 or BCE3 ????

Martin Mtl Feb 16, 2012 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caltrane74 (Post 5592917)
There is talk of an office tower being planned in Toronto - Supertall!!

Rumour has it the foundations and footings may already exist at the site of a planned office tower from the 1980's or 90's.

Could be BAC 2 or BCE3 ????

I'll probably get accused of being envious of Toronto, since this accusation always come up when I say this, but I'll say it again anyway: why, dear Caltrane, do you insist on saturating every single thread with any king of infos and rumours on Toronto, while there is a Toronto forum just for that. There is even a thread in the Toronto forum just for supertall rumours.

So accuse me of being a bitter and envious Montrealer if you want, but for anyone outside Toronto, this constant Toronto boosting is getting really annoying.

There I feel better.

Ramako Feb 16, 2012 2:34 PM

:rolleyes:

rbt Feb 16, 2012 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Mtl (Post 5592948)
So accuse me of being a bitter and envious Montrealer if you want, but for anyone outside Toronto, this constant Toronto boosting is getting really annoying.

It's annoying to some of us in Toronto too. I get far more out of waiting a year and seeing an actual press release. or planning document.

Rumours about numerous new super-talls makes me believe a crash is very near and we will be lucky if Aura get finished.

I do appreciate Cal's photo updates though.

caltrane74 Feb 16, 2012 3:12 PM

Complain, complain.. Toronto is making you cry - Here is a kleenex to soak up all your tears.

This is a skyscraper site, and this is a potential office project in the works.

The fundamentals are already on the books in the form of BCE3 and BA2, only the rumour has them going much taller.

Ramako Feb 16, 2012 3:26 PM

Here's something a little more concrete from today's Globe and Mail:

Quote:

Could Scotia move out of Scotia Plaza?

There's speculation in the real estate business that should Brookfield Office Properties win the bidding for Scotia Plaza, Bank of Nova Scotia could be moving out of the iconic red skyscraper.

According to analyst Michael Smith of Macquarie, some believe that Brookfield would want Scotiabank as a lead tenant for a new east tower in the Bay Adelaide Centre.That site is directly across the street from the current Scotia headquarters. With Toronto's office market strong, Mr. Smith said there could be a new cycle of office tower development.
Where there's smoke...

caltrane74 Feb 16, 2012 5:03 PM

Sounds good!!!

At least things are firming up. It will have to be an amazing tower for Scotiabank to move. Now the whole selling Scotiaplaza thing is starting to make sense.

Robertpuant Feb 16, 2012 5:05 PM

Does it mean the new tower (BAC 2 or 3) is going to be red?

caltrane74 Feb 16, 2012 5:10 PM

Your avatar is scary as all hell!!

Andrewjm3D Feb 16, 2012 5:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramako (Post 5592994)

Where there's smoke...

Now that could be big news indeed.

Robertpuant Feb 16, 2012 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caltrane74 (Post 5593153)
Your avatar is scary as all hell!!

Those kind of prejudices do not belong in the 21st century! The headphones indicate that he has become a kind and open minded individual ready conform to our modern age.

Anyway, does anybody know the amount of office space Scotiabank uses in Toronto, and of that amount what percentage is in Scotia Plaza?

caltrane74 Feb 16, 2012 10:15 PM

I would assume they have about 60% of Scotiaplaza.

O-tacular Feb 16, 2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramako (Post 5592994)

Where there's smoke...

I hope they propose a giant box like Herald square in Calgary, or better yet BMO building 2.0 Toronto's the only city that does boxes better than Calgary. LOL!

caltrane74 Feb 16, 2012 10:51 PM

More Speculation from UT

Quote:

KPMB is working on this one.
Also, some have speculated that BCE is not in the running for a new office tower. Also some more speculation is that the south end of the Eaton Centre might be in for a new office tower as well. - Apparently the south end of the Eaton Centre already has the footings to support another very tall tower. The footings were built when the 250 (Yonge) was built in the early 90's Early rumours had suggested that a Yonge Street presence was very important for the developer of the "superall"

Please note all of the above is just rumour and speculation - There is nothing concrete regarding whom is designing the tower, and where it will go. (or if it will be built at all)

Ramako Feb 16, 2012 11:04 PM

That's the second time I've heard that KPMB is designing the tower.

suburbanite Feb 16, 2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caltrane74 (Post 5593625)
I would assume they have about 60% of Scotiaplaza.

I believe in one of the articles I read it said it was closer to 40% Could be wrong though.

LeftCoaster Feb 16, 2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caltrane74 (Post 5593677)
More Speculation from UT

Also, some have speculated that BCE is not in the running for a new office tower. Also some more speculation is that the south end of the Eaton Centre might be in for a new office tower as well. - Apparently the south end of the Eaton Centre already has the footings to support another very tall tower. The footings were built when the 250 (Yonge) was built in the early 90's Early rumours had suggested that a Yonge Street presence was very important for the developer of the "superall"

Please note all of the above is just rumour and speculation - There is nothing concrete regarding whom is designing the tower, and where it will go. (or if it will be built at all)

I can confirm that the Eaton Centre rumours are not true.

It's true that there are supports for a tower at the south end, and in fact that are being worked on as we speak, but there is no office tower in the works and what will be built won't be anywhere near a supertall.

WhipperSnapper Feb 17, 2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caltrane74 (Post 5592979)
Complain, complain.. Toronto is making you cry - Here is a kleenex to soak up all your tears.

This is a skyscraper site, and this is a potential office project in the works.

The fundamentals are already on the books in the form of BCE3 and BA2, only the rumour has them going much taller.

I'm not sure what you mean by fundamentals. BCE3 is currently being marketed as a 35 storey building. What has been produced is likely not much more than a rendering given "built to suit" demands from "request for proposals". In any case, expanding it to 75 storeys makes whatever exists for the currently marketed tower worthless trash.

yyzer Feb 17, 2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 5593741)
I can confirm that the Eaton Centre rumours are not true.

It's true that there are supports for a tower at the south end, and in fact that are being worked on as we speak, but there is no office tower in the works and what will be built won't be anywhere near a supertall.

hmm, so preparing for a new residential tower at Eaton Centre?! :cool:

caltrane74 Feb 17, 2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper (Post 5593808)
I'm not sure what you mean by fundamentals. BCE3 is currently being marketed as a 35 storey building. What has been produced is likely not much more than a rendering given "built to suit" demands from "request for proposals". In any case, expanding it to 75 storeys makes whatever exists for the currently marketed tower worthless trash.

Did you notice I corrected myself and said it was likely not going to be BCE3?

Brookfield is going to try and coax Scotiabank or whoever, into an upgraded BA2.