SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian 2011-2012 NHL season discussion thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191956)

feepa Jun 19, 2011 4:52 PM

The Great Canadian 2011-2012 NHL season discussion thread

Since I see we don't have a thread yet on this, and the results of last years cup are now all finished... Time to start thinking about next year season with the draft coming up soon.

I hope this season we will have a few more Canadian teams in the playoffs. Let's try to get all 7 in! :banana:

Hockey seems to be the one sport that unites the most Canadians nationally and locally

Any early predictions for which Canadian team will be tops?

mintzilla Jun 19, 2011 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feepa (Post 5321021)

I hope this season we will have a few more Canadian teams in the playoffs. Let's try to get all 7 in! :banana:

Hockey seems to be the one sport that unites the most Canadians nationally and locally

judging from the previous Vancouver threads i would say hockey is equally the sport that divides Canadians nationally and locally.

draft will be sweet though. RNH is a sure thing for us with the 1st. then use the later ones for good defensive prospects and we are set.

logan5 Jun 19, 2011 10:34 PM

Hockey is such a large part of our culture, it makes sense to have the hockey thread in the Canada section. Hockey talk can get a little heated sometimes, but that's the nature of hockey in this country. Anyways, I hope it stays here.

artvandelay Jun 20, 2011 1:40 AM

I know that a lot of focus has been on the negative in these past few days, but there is a lot to be optimistic about with regards to hockey:

- The quality of playoff hockey this year was outstanding, I watched a ton of this year's playoffs and my team wasn't even in it. In the first few years since the lockout I thought that officiating was too heavy handed. This year they seemed to strike the right balance between offense and physicality, resulting in great hits and gritty play that is still fast paced with plenty of scoring.
- The Stanley Cup Final had the highest ratings ever - in Canada and the US. Around 18 million North Americans watched game seven, very close to NBA numbers.
- Vancouver had a great season, and I look forward to seeing if they can pull off a repeat performance next season. The team will remain largely in tact.
- Winnipeg is getting their team back! I can't wait to have another rival in the NW division, and I'm looking forward to the team name and jersey unveiling.

I know that it often gets heated in the NHL thread, but the trash-talk is usually good natured and it's really part of the fun. Here's looking forward to the draft, and let's hope for more Canadian teams in the playoffs next year! :cheers:

freeweed Jun 20, 2011 2:14 AM

Winnipeg will be in the SE for this season, but after that - hell yeah baby. 3 visits every year!

Schedule is rumoured to be out on Tuesday. I can start planning winter vacation next week.

Nicko999 Jun 20, 2011 2:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feepa (Post 5321021)
Since I see we don't have a thread yet on this, and the results of last years cup are now all finished... Time to start thinking about next year season with the draft coming up soon.

Something like this...

1. Vancouver: 110 pts
2. Montreal: 102 pts
3. Toronto: 89 pts
4. Edmonton: 88 pts
5. Winnipeg: 85 pts
6. Calgary: 79 pts
7. Ottawa: 76 pts

freeweed Jun 20, 2011 3:33 AM

LOL. I wanna bookmark that ranking for next March or so.

Xelebes Jun 20, 2011 3:35 AM

I don't think Edmonton will do that well. I'm just hoping they get 82 points. RNH will help, but we need some real intense work on our defense if we ever hope to have 80 points. I hope we can get Morrow for our second first-round draft pick.

feepa Jun 20, 2011 3:52 AM

The Oilers look to have 22 M in cap space coming into this season. I wonder who shall be acquired...

Calgarian Jun 20, 2011 2:09 PM

The Salary Cap in going to increase to $64 million this year, not sure what that means for each team, but it should be a bit of breathing room for the cash strapped Flames.

Speaking of the Flames, they hired Clint Malarchuck as the goaltending coach. For those that don't know, Malarchchuck took a skate to the throat while playing goal for the Sabres in '89.
Anyway, lets hope he can keep Kipper in the same kind of form he has been in for the last couple seasons, and have Karlsson ready to start as many as 20 games this year.

touraccuracy Jun 20, 2011 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feepa (Post 5321601)
The Oilers look to have 22 M in cap space coming into this season. I wonder who shall be acquired...

Two and a half Sidney Crosbys it is!

Nicko999 Jun 20, 2011 3:22 PM

Yes!!! Awesome news!!!:cheers:

Canadiens sign Pacioretty to two-year deal

Quote:

Max Pacioretty signed a two-year, $3.25 million contract with the Montreal Canadiens on Monday.

Last season, Pacioretty scored 14 goals and added 10 assists for 24 points in 37 games.

He started the season with the Hamilton Bulldogs of the American Hockey League before being called up for good in December.

His season came to an abrupt end in March when a hit by Zdeno Chara caused him to suffer a fractured vertabrae in his neck.

Pacioretty was slated to become a restricted free agent on July 1.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369501

For less than 2M, good job Gauthier and hopefully Markov is next!

Calgarian Jun 20, 2011 3:53 PM

Do you guys really want Markov? he is a great player, but is made of glass.

Flamesrule Jun 20, 2011 4:52 PM

Since the Cap is increased to 64 million, this now gives Calgary Flames 7-8 million in cap space!

We now can sign Tanguay!

Flamesrule Jun 20, 2011 5:06 PM

Also on the side, who do you think will be drafted 1st overall in the draft?

I'm excited this year (too bad the draft is weak this year) and I hope the Flames draft Joel Armia, Mark Mcneil or Mark Scheifele.

telyou Jun 20, 2011 5:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 5321554)
Something like this...

1. Vancouver: 110 pts
2. Montreal: 102 pts
3. Toronto: 89 pts
4. Edmonton: 88 pts
5. Winnipeg: 85 pts
6. Calgary: 79 pts
7. Ottawa: 76 pts

I think the Montreal and the Winnipeg numbers should be switched.
I'm hoping for the big things from Edmonton.
And keeping my fingers crossed that Toronto can finally make it back into the playoffs.

Has the NHL officially confirmed that the cap will be at 64 million?

When does the Brad Richards gossip begin?

Darkoshvilli Jun 20, 2011 7:09 PM

^lol

No way in hell does Montreal finish with only 85 points next year. We managed to finish 6th without Markov, Gorges, Pacioretty for much of the season and our number one C had his worst season ever. Gomez cannot go any lower so expect a much better year from him next season. With the emergence of Deharnais and Eller, a full year of Pacioretty, the return of Markov and Gorges, this team is a lock for the playoffs. Not to mention the additions of Emelin from Russia and the potential of Jagr coming over. Needless to say, I can't wait for next year.

If this team manages to stay mostly healthy and Price keeps being a stud, home-ice is almost a lock.

SpikePhanta Jun 20, 2011 7:26 PM

Hopefully the Canucks will get a better winger for Kesler during the regular season and a power forward for the Sedins for the playoffs.
Hopefully Hodgson makes the team.

MrOilers Jun 20, 2011 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flamesrule (Post 5322063)
We now can sign Tanguay!

Maybe you can get Huselius back this year, too.

Calgarian Jun 20, 2011 7:46 PM

Vancouver needs a new #1 goalie before they do anything, Jennings trophy or no. Luongo completely crapped the bed in the final round.

Vancouver should still have a good season though, they have something to prove now.

MrOilers Jun 20, 2011 8:16 PM

They gave Luongo that big extension, so they have him for the next 10 years.

I'll be interested in seeing what Vancouver does now that they blew the final (and face it, if you are up 2-0 and lose the series, you blew it). I wonder if they'll keep Burrows?

I wonder if they'll make some more moves to stack their team at the trade deadline for injury insurance?

Coldrsx Jun 20, 2011 8:18 PM

uh... awesome!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369517

Coldrsx Jun 20, 2011 8:23 PM

Hemmer straight up for Smyth so long as he commits to 2 yr extension at 3mil/yr.

freeweed Jun 20, 2011 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOilers (Post 5322250)

One of these things is not like the other one....

Flamesrule Jun 20, 2011 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOilers (Post 5322250)

Please, no.

Flamesrule Jun 20, 2011 9:05 PM

Flames sign Henrik Karlsson to two year deal. One 850,000 and 875,000.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|CGY|home

Calgarian Jun 20, 2011 9:11 PM

Edmonton would be smart to get Smyth back, The Oilers still haven't got a good heart and soul guy on their team.

What's the story with Souray?

SpikePhanta Jun 20, 2011 9:12 PM

Lidstrom is coming back for another season! Great to see.

Also you guys are crazy if you think Gillis is going to blow up the canucks by trading/replacing Luongo and Burrows.
A 30 goals, 50 points scorer that can play defensively for 2 million cap hit is a steal.

Calgarian Jun 20, 2011 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOilers (Post 5322319)
They gave Luongo that big extension, so they have him for the next 10 years.

Too bad they put so much faith in him, he really let them down and I'm willing to bet they will not see the final again as long as he is their starting goaltender.

Coldrsx Jun 20, 2011 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgarian (Post 5322391)
Edmonton would be smart to get Smyth back, The Oilers still haven't got a good heart and soul guy on their team.

What's the story with Souray?

at a 6+ mil cap hit? Our new heart and soul is Mr. Jones.

I would like to see Schmitty back, we need a guy like him.

Flamesrule Jun 20, 2011 9:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpikePhanta (Post 5322392)
Lidstrom is coming back for another season! Great to see.

I'm guessing he'll retire next year as his contract is only for one year.

MrOilers Jun 20, 2011 9:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpikePhanta (Post 5322392)
Also you guys are crazy if you think Gillis is going to blow up the canucks by trading/replacing Luongo and Burrows.

Luongo is staying, but I can see them trading Burrows. He has talent, but his theatrics and chicken-shitness are a liability to the team.

freeweed Jun 20, 2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgarian (Post 5322405)
Too bad they put so much faith in him, he really let them down and I'm willing to bet they will not see the final again as long as he is their starting goaltender.

Luongo was overplayed, no question. Flames fans know full well what this is all about.

artvandelay Jun 21, 2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 5322320)

I wonder if this is the first time a player has requested to leave LA for Edmonton.:haha:

In all honesty I think having a guy like Smyth would be good for the development of the young kids on the Oilers.

SpikePhanta Jun 21, 2011 12:40 AM

I think Smyth knows that he can gain more pts in Edmonton while playing a bigger role, which will increase his value for Free Agency.

But it is Smyth were talking about and he is very similar to Linden, he will come back and finish his career as an Oilers while helping the younger ones out.

Nicko999 Jun 21, 2011 12:46 AM

Gauthier is on fire...:)

CANADIENS SIGN RFA CENTRE DESHARNAIS TO TWO-YEAR DEAL

Quote:

The Montreal Canadiens have agreed to a two-year, one way deal with centre David Desharnais.

The 24-year-old restricted free agent will receive $750,000 in the first year of the deal and $950,000 in the second.

Desharnais appeared in 43 games for the Canadiens last season scoring eight goals and 14 assists.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369528

850k cap hit for a player who got 8 goals, 22 pts in 43 games, that's another nice bargain.:D

Nicko999 Jun 21, 2011 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgarian (Post 5322003)
Do you guys really want Markov? he is a great player, but is made of glass.

More like a knee made of glass... which hopefully is healed properly now...

And yes, we want Markov on the team, his is the only D-man still better than Subban. Let them play together and Markov can be a serious Norris candidate if he stays healthy of course.

And if he gets injured again (god I hope not:() we have Subban that can be the general while Weber will have to play more minutes.

If we sign Markov AND Wisniewski (very unlikely) then, we are in business.:)

Jay in Cowtown Jun 21, 2011 2:31 AM

5 Montreal - 2nd Round Exit
8 Toronto - 1st Round Exit
13 Ottawa - Misses Playoffs
7 Winnipeg - 2nd Round Exit

3 Vancouver - 1st Round Exit (to Calgary)
8 Edmonton - Loses Western Conference Championship (to Calgary)
6 Calgary - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions

Yeah Baby! :D

thurmas Jun 21, 2011 2:45 AM

I won't predict points but standings east:1 Pittsburgh,2 Boston,3 Tampa,4Montreal,5 Washington,6 New Jersey,7 Winnipeg,8 Toronto

west:1 Detroit,2 Vancouver,3 Anaheim,4 Nashville,5 St.Louis,6 Los Angeles,7Chicago,8 San Jose
Winnipeg has some interesting moves to make weather they trade or sign for a centre this summer like a Brad Richards or trade for Jeff Carter who is on the market.Also rumor is the Winnipeg club might trade Zach Bogosian in a blockbuster. A team not in my playoff group but might make it anyways is the NY Islanders becuase this might be the year Tavares becomes a real star like Stamkos.

freeweed Jun 21, 2011 4:26 AM

While I'm not one to be certain in my own predictions, I find it amusing that everyone is convinced Calgary is going to miss the playoffs. This is a team that went 13 games above .500 in their last 44 (24-11-9). The team that lost themselves a playoff spot in November was nowhere to be seen for the last half of the season.

Obviously anything's possible, but barring a dramatic collapse they stand a fairly good chance of hitting 100 points this year. Keep in mind that the only reason they even missed the playoffs is the insane parity and strength in the West last season. They would have made the playoffs in the East. All it will take is a bit more separation in the West for the Flames to easily sneak in, even with a shitty November.

This season is definitely a bellweather for the Leaves. If they miss the playoffs yet again, Burke and co. are certainly gone.

jigglysquishy Jun 21, 2011 4:48 AM

My prediction for Canadian teams

East
Montreal at 6th
Toronto at 8th
Winnipeg at 10th
Ottawa at 15th

West
Vancouver at 2nd
Calgary at 8th
Edmonton at 10th

Nicko999 Jun 21, 2011 5:25 AM

I want to see what will happen with Markov/Wisniewski before making a final prediction.

One thing is sure... I can't wait for the new season. Will Vancouver keep dominating? Will Subban get into the sophomore slump? Will Calgary and Toronto be as good as they were in the second half or was it a fluke? Will Ottawa and Edmonton still be at the bottom?

Anyway, it seems like someone is really motivated to become the power forward we've been waiting for such long time in Montreal.
Quote:

Pacioretty said he has added 10 pounds of muscle and is “faster than ever.”

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Habs+...#ixzz1PsuSCwKj
BTW-Pacioretty won the skills competition for fastest skater on a speedy Habs team.

SpikePhanta Jun 21, 2011 8:36 AM

Wilson got some new assistants that will most certainly replacing him if something goes wrong.
Burke will probably be allowed to take one more bad season but thats it.

Calgarian Jun 21, 2011 2:07 PM

I think this will be the season that the Leafs make it back to the playoffs. I'm hoping for Winnipeg to make the playoffs too, that would be awesome for that city.

Kraze Jun 21, 2011 6:48 PM

Why are you guys being so harsh on Ottawa with your predictions? I don't think they're going to do that bad. Trust me when I say Bryan Murray is dedicated to making some big and positive changes for the sens and that even tho they mite not make the playoffs, there's no way in hell they're going to do any worse than last year. I'm pretty optimistic Paul Maclean can turn our team around especially with a new group of young and motivated players

Calgarian Jun 21, 2011 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraze (Post 5323439)
Why are you guys being so harsh on Ottawa with your predictions? I don't think they're going to do that bad. Trust me when I say Bryan Murray is dedicated to making some big and positive changes for the sens and that even tho they mite not make the playoffs, there's no way in hell they're going to do any worse than last year. I'm pretty optimistic Paul Maclean can turn our team around especially with a new group of young and motivated players

We'll see what happens with the Sens, but they seem to be in a downward trend over the last couple seasons, especially since Heatley left.

SpikePhanta Jun 21, 2011 7:43 PM

Wait why are we making predictions now?
There's still the draft and free agency :P

Predictions for the top 10?

Biff Jun 21, 2011 8:13 PM

It's now official, Winnipeg is in the NHL.

The NHL board of governors has unanimously approved the sale of the Atlanta Thrashers, paving the way for the club to move to Winnipeg for next season. The vote by the board on Tuesday was the final hurdle in the process to relocate the team. Full Story.

http://www.tsn.ca/

.......oh yeah here is the Final Reading on the Jets meter.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/jetsmeter/

Calgarian Jun 21, 2011 8:17 PM

Final hurdle cleared for the Jets, glad to hear it! Now just cave under pressure TNSE and call them the damn JETS!

Kraze Jun 22, 2011 1:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgarian (Post 5323499)
We'll see what happens with the Sens, but they seem to be in a downward trend over the last couple seasons, especially since Heatley left.

True but I'm hoping this year they will be more motivated ...that seemed to be a major issue last season