SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Suburbs (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=257)
-   -   Innes Rd new construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167246)

Dundas Apr 2, 2009 3:47 AM

Innes Rd new construction

Hello,

Does anyone know what they are planning of building right next to the water tower in Orleans?

I heard many things such as a: movie theater or a lowes with a Ikea store.

There's so many rumors I was wondering if anyone knew for sure whats going on there?

If anyone knows of other new construction projects on Innes RD in the orleans area, please post them!

Thanks

drizzo_613 Apr 2, 2009 10:50 AM

an Athletic Club and a lot of houses, and other retail i guess. The movie theatre will be built on the southeast corner of jeanne d'arc and innes rd, i thinkkkk

Cre47 Apr 2, 2009 1:30 PM

Is there supposed to be a Lowe's home improvement store to be built in that area.

c_speed3108 Apr 2, 2009 3:47 PM

It is more of the same sort of big box with some small places at the front of the parking lot style retail development.

Lowes was supposed to be an anchor tenant in the particular area you refer to.

I think there is a diagram in the smart (dumb) centres thread around here somewhere

harls Apr 2, 2009 3:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dundas (Post 4172661)
Hello,

Does anyone know what they are planning of building right next to the water tower in Orleans?

I heard many things such as a: movie theater or a lowes with a Ikea store.

There's so many rumors I was wondering if anyone knew for sure whats going on there?

If anyone knows of other new construction projects on Innes RD in the orleans area, please post them!

Thanks

Won't be an IKEA, that's for sure. They're going to rebuild at the current location, biggest IKEA in Canada.

rocketphish Apr 2, 2009 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dundas (Post 4172661)
Hello,

I heard many things such as a: movie theater or a lowes...

Yes, it's a Lowes, as well as a muliplex cinema, an athletic club, and various other smaller retail buildings. Costco was previously slated to be a tenant, but that has now changed.

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__6B134N
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__7M31F2

Here's the siteplan:

(eastern portion)
http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...12-08-0167.PDF

(western portion)
http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...12-09-0033.PDF

rocketphish Jun 22, 2009 2:38 PM

EllisDon to build $14M Orleans fitness club
By Peter Kovessy, Ottawa Business Journal Staff
Mon, Jun 22, 2009 12:00 AM EST

65,000-square-foot building part of new Trinity/RioCan development

Construction is slated to begin shortly on a two-storey east-end fitness club, one of four anchor tenants in a new Orleans commercial development that will total as much as 350,000 square feet when completed in 2010.

The London, Ont.-based Athletic Club Group has hired EllisDon Corp. to construct its first Ottawa facility, a $14-million, 65,000-square-foot building featuring two pools, a gymnasium and other amenities.

The company has said it hopes to open the Orleans location at Innes Road and Belcourt Boulevard in 2010 and has plans to start construction on another facility in the Ottawa Train Yards shopping district this August. The Athletic Club presently has seven facilities and has previously said it would like to open five locations in the nation's capital.

"The economy in Ottawa is much more favourable than other parts of Ontario," said company president Alan Quesnel in a written statement.

Along with the fitness club, the new commercial shopping centre will feature a Lowe's home improvement centre, a CIBC, Empire Theatres and smaller retail tenants in spaces ranging from 1,000 to 20,000 square feet, said Philip Currie, vice-president of leasing at Trinity Developments. Trinity is building the shopping centre in a joint venture with RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust.

Mr. Currie said construction is underway on the Lowe's and CIBC, both of which will likely open in early autumn. Construction on the Empire Theatres should start soon, and will hopefully be completed in time for the Christmas season, added Mr. Currie.

Each of the larger anchor tenants is responsible for their own construction contracting. The respective spokespeople for the three companies were unable to immediately provide details about their projects.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3393/...0377b1_o_d.jpg

http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com...4873503154.php

Sens1992 Jul 4, 2009 3:58 PM

Innes road / Belcourt blvd

Looks like another plaza is moving in at the corner of Innes road and Belcourt boulevard. It will replace the Belcourt Grocery. You can see the details as well as a site plan here: http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__7NW987

Also, the Development Application calls for a A&W restaurant like the one on Merivale road (@ Hunt Club) and like the one buing built in Rockland on HWY 17.

Dundas Jul 29, 2009 4:39 AM

Quote:

Construction on the Empire Theatres should start soon, and will hopefully be completed in time for the Christmas season, added Mr. Currie.
I can't see how the theatre is going to be finished by the christmas season, last time I went by there I could see the CIBC and Lowes getting built but no theatre.

Dundas Jul 29, 2009 4:51 AM

I wish someone would build a ten-pin bowling alley on Innes, that be cool. Also a billiard sports bar like maclaren's would be nice, the one all the way on taylor creek road near trim is way too far.

Sens1992 Aug 27, 2009 3:17 AM

According to this link: http://www.trinity-group.com/index.php?q=node/417 ,
the Lowe's site in Orleans will have a Moxie's and East Side Mario's... Like we have never seen these names... :slob:

kwoldtimer Aug 28, 2009 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sens1992 (Post 4426580)
the Lowe's site in Orleans will have a Moxie's and East Side Mario's... Like we have never seen these names... :slob:

Makes me think of "Demolition Man" -- some day, all the restaurants will be Taco Bell :yuck: :haha:

Proof Sheet Aug 28, 2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sens1992 (Post 4426580)

I agree with your distaste for the same old chain stores....unfortunately, the vast majority of suburban retail consumers say in one breath that they love to support the independant businesses including restaurants, but when push comes to shove, they frequent the same old places due to the familiarity etc...I call it the Holiday Inn (i.e no surprises) attitude.

As well, often times the big guys are the only ones who can afford the rents and leases that these big box places demand.

lrt's friend Aug 28, 2009 1:31 PM

Quote:

As well, often times the big guys are the only ones who can afford the rents and leases that these big box places demand.
Could it be the cost of those massive parking lots that surround big box shopping centres?

The best restaurants in the suburbs always seem to locate in those small strip malls with tiny parking lots. Those of the places that many consider to be eyesores, so we try to stomp them out of existance. So in the name of semi-esthetics, we are creating an environment where only the chains can survive in the suburbs. The same stores, the same restaurants, repeating over and over again. Bleh! We are creating a society based strictly on convenience and mediocrity.

As someone who lives in one of those suburbs, I try to seek out those surviving independent businesses and local chains but I guess I am an oddball as the big box mall parking lots continue to be packed.

CondoGirl Aug 28, 2009 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrt's friend (Post 4428961)
Bleh! We are creating a society based strictly on convenience and mediocrity.

So sad but totally true... I grew up in the east end but generally dismiss the area as a whole since the invasion of Big Box. Interestingly I had to drive out there yesterday and noticed a sign on St. Joseph blvd welcoming me to the "Heart of Orleans", and driving through I couldn't help thinking that those small strip plazas -- how retro! -- were far, far preferable to the Big Box Nightmare spreading like wildfire along Innes Rd.

And I agree that these independent strip mall businesses are the ones worth supporting... Little Turkish Village anyone?

Sens1992 Aug 29, 2009 2:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proof Sheet (Post 4428932)
I agree with your distaste for the same old chain stores....unfortunately, the vast majority of suburban retail consumers say in one breath that they love to support the independant businesses including restaurants, but when push comes to shove, they frequent the same old places due to the familiarity etc...I call it the Holiday Inn (i.e no surprises) attitude..

I agree so much with what you say here... I drive to downtown or preston or any oher area for a good place to eat (independant place) but most people I know say they are but they don't. They think that a franchise that is owned by a local is the same thing as an independant restaurant...

Also, Ottawa is weird... Every big box plaza being built is a newer copy of an old one. SAME stores, SAME restaurants. Even in the big box business, it would be nice if other chains would show up in different parts of town but no. The lineup is pretty much the same everytime, the only thing that changes is the setup. When I talk to my neighbors, they all seem really excited that a Moxie's is coming to Innes rd. I can't get it. This is nothing new. You can now drive 10 more minutes to Blair and you are a t a Moxie's... What will make the Orleans location better? Same food, oh wait, a newer look... But what else. Barrhaven had once 3 localy owned (independant) restaurants: Terra Grill, Fiamma and Tuscan Grill. Terra Grill is now a Johnny Canuck's :slob: , Tuscan Grill is now closed and Fiamma has apparently changed owners and menus several times. Too bad that these places were better than the average franchise but Ottawa people prefer Boston Pizza, Montana's and Swiss Chalet...

So, that is the proof of what you said: but when push comes to shove, they frequent the same old places due to the familiarity etc..

I would also add: lack of taste. I love Ottawa, a copy and paste city!

osirisboy Aug 29, 2009 3:38 PM

personally, growing up there and living 20 years of my life in orleans i have to say the strip malls suck (St Joseph is gross!!) just as much as the big box stores. and also what makes the small independent places worth supporting versus the big box chains? shouldnt one support a business because of the quality of service/product that they offer not just because they are independent versus corporate? Some small independent places i have been to have SUUUCKED whereas some chain places I have gone to have been really good.

Sens1992 Aug 29, 2009 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osirisboy (Post 4430753)
personally, growing up there and living 20 years of my life in orleans i have to say the strip malls suck (St Joseph is gross!!) just as much as the big box stores. and also what makes the small independent places worth supporting versus the big box chains? shouldnt one support a business because of the quality of service/product that they offer not just because they are independent versus corporate? Some small independent places i have been to have SUUUCKED whereas some chain places I have gone to have been really good.

I totally agree with you that most of St.Joseph is gross. What I mean is that for equal value service / product, most people will go for the corporate instead of the independent. The difference here on Innes is huge. I fully agree that just by looking at the stores on Innes (esthetics), they win hands down compared to St.Jospeh (probably in service too in several of them). But what I am saying is that even if St.Jo. was a better place, more inviting, people would still favor the big ones.

There is a little coffee shop that opened along tenth line close to Innes and they have been struggling since day one, offering more and more and more just to keep it open. Do you think that Starbucks on Innes is having a hard time staying in business? Don't think so.:cheers:

Cre47 Aug 29, 2009 7:57 PM

You can also add the big Value Village store, which I think was opening this week

eternallyme Aug 29, 2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sens1992 (Post 4430730)
Also, Ottawa is weird... Every big box plaza being built is a newer copy of an old one. SAME stores, SAME restaurants. Even in the big box business, it would be nice if other chains would show up in different parts of town but no. The lineup is pretty much the same everytime, the only thing that changes is the setup.

It's the same in every community. Every big box place is practically the same.