SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   My City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=321)
-   -   Hamilton Mountain Brow + GTA Mega-Panos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146487)

flar Feb 24, 2008 7:46 AM

Hamilton Mountain Brow + GTA Mega-Panos

HAMILTON NEIGHBOURHOODS:
CorktownDurandCentralDundasLocke St. SouthBurlingtonStinsonWestdaleSt. ClairKeithLandsdale
The DeltaGibsonJamesvilleConcession StreetDurand NorthDurand SouthOld Dundas HousesHess VillageBarton Street
AncasterNorth KirkendallSouth KirkendallMcMaster UniversityDowntownThe BayfrontThe North EndKenilworth
Mountain BrowTextile DistrictStrathconaNorth StipleyFlamboroughBeasleyChedokeStoney CreekThe Beach Strip

HAMILTON FEATURES:
C I T Y _ L I G H T SStone HamiltonTwilight of the Industrial AgeTwilight of the Industrial Age II
Stone in Dundas and AncasterGoodbye, Hamilton (from 43 floors up)Dirty BrickDay for Night
This broken down old city still manages to wake up every morning...Everywhere, Ontario< R - E - T - R - O >
HAMILTON | Scenes from the cutting room floorS U B U R B I A !Everywhere, OntarioHamilton Rowhouses
< H E A V Y <> I N D U S T R Y > Old Man Winter vs. Hamilton

The mountain brow in Hamilton offers incredible views and provides the setting for luxurious homes:

SCROLL---->>

SCROLL---->

McMaster University (SCROLL---->)

http://aas.ath.cx/threads/mountain.jpg

daniel_t Feb 24, 2008 8:34 AM

Very cool pics. didn't know Hamilton was so dense looking.

Daniel

Top Of The Park Feb 24, 2008 10:11 AM

Amazingly nice

Chelsea Spy Feb 24, 2008 10:25 AM

wow! some awesome views - another great thread flar!!!

Jobohimself Feb 24, 2008 10:26 AM

I love how you can see Toronto in the distance.

Thundertubs Feb 24, 2008 5:20 PM

Dang. Those are killer.

About how far away is downtown Toronto? 35mi/50km?

Echo Park Feb 24, 2008 6:12 PM

That first pic is a winner.

Austinlee Feb 24, 2008 7:32 PM

Pretty old mansions and highrises. Hamilton is my kind of city!

I'm also curious as to how far downtown Toronto is from downtown Hamilton, say, for example?

Is it common for rich Torontonians to come buy mansions in Hamilton which has such an abundance of them?

boden Feb 24, 2008 7:40 PM

Wonderful!:tup: :tup: :tup:

Bergenser Feb 24, 2008 7:55 PM

So it is Toronto you see in those pictures...
I didn't know it was so close, very cool. :D

Michi Feb 24, 2008 9:48 PM

Each and every on spectacular!

Though Hamilton has a lot of impressive height, it would be nice if the city started seeing some highrise architecture that is as elegant as many of the homes that you posted here, flar.

Thanks for the enlightenment! :)

Doady Feb 24, 2008 10:49 PM

^ Am I the only one to find Hamilton's high-rise architecture to be interesting? But I don't know anything about architecture anyways. It might just be because the photos are excellent, some of the best I've ever seen here.

HAMRetrofit Feb 24, 2008 11:17 PM

Hamilton's 1960s-1970s brutalist skyline has grown on me recently. I actually love how the city has grown right up to the escarpment. I understand that it is a protected natural area but I would actually like to some buildings built on it if done properly.

flar Feb 25, 2008 12:09 AM

^^People often compare Hamilton's skyline to a South American or Eastern European city. Unfortunately the skyline hasn't had many additions in the past 30 years, and that doesn't seem likely to change at the moment. There are some interesting buildings, but dozens of generic apartment blocks. Hamilton does have some impressive density though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thundertubs (Post 3375204)
About how far away is downtown Toronto? 35mi/50km?

Pretty close to that. According to Google Earth, the spot where I took the first pano is 60 km from downtown Toronto (as the crow flies).

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA Pride (Post 3375397)
Is it common for rich Torontonians to come buy mansions in Hamilton which has such an abundance of them?

You don't have to be that rich to get a mansion in Hamilton ;)
As for Torontonians moving into mansions here, I'm not sure. There is one case of this that I know of, developer Harry Stinson moved into a mansion along the mountain brow. I think part of his house might be in these pictures, but I'm not sure which one (I couldn't photograph all the mansions due to security). Overall I think rich Torontonians would consider Hamilton much too déclassé.

Michi Feb 25, 2008 12:46 AM

Yah, I'm not saying they aren't interesting, in fact many of them are. I was just commenting toward a new variety. I know it's not likely to change soon, but if and when it does, it will be even more interesting to see how they are blended w/ the current compilation.

ColDayMan Feb 25, 2008 1:28 AM

Wonderful photos!

HAMRetrofit Feb 25, 2008 6:29 AM

Owning a higher end condo in Toronto and a Mansion in the Hamilton area is a fairly common trend. Especially for those with extended family in the area. I would not say that Hamilton is déclassé to many in Toronto. It is becoming more avante garde in some circles. This all depends on who you speak to.

flar Feb 25, 2008 1:51 PM

^^that's quite possible, Hamilton does have an abundance of mansions, both within the city and in Ancaster, Dundas, Greensville and Aldershot. There seems to be a fair bit of old money in Hamilton too. Many of them would probably have a condo and business interests in Toronto.

Boris Feb 25, 2008 2:13 PM

Absolutely beautiful!!

SteelTown Feb 25, 2008 3:29 PM

Nice work flar!

Now I'm not 100% certain but I believe this is the house that Harry Stinson, an Ex-Toronto developer, has recently purchased, what street is this house on?......
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...brow/00066.jpg

I spend A LOT of time in this area, I believe these are all in the Western part of the Mountain Brow, Scenic Drive. During the warmer months I jog along these areas and up and down the Chedoke stairs.

I don't think you have any of the Eastern part of Mountain Brow, another area I spent a lot of time, I went to Sherwood high school, used to hang out at John Munro's house during the lunch break.