SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Middle East & Africa (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   World's first refrigerated BEACH to be built next to luxury hotel in Dubai (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162612)

amor de cosmos Dec 20, 2008 5:08 AM

World's first refrigerated BEACH to be built next to luxury hotel in Dubai

Hey I can think of lots of beaches that are already nice & cool without refrigeration! I wonder if this refrigerated beach will compare to any of them, since that indoor ski hill is nothing special compared to most of the world's best ski resorts! A silly idea & a waste of money if you ask me:

Quote:

World's first refrigerated BEACH to be built next to luxury hotel in Dubai
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 9:31 AM on 17th December 2008

The world's first refrigerated beach is to be built at a luxury hotel in Dubai so the filthy rich holidaymakers don't burn their feet on the scalding hot sand.

The revolutionary beach will sit next to the new Palazzo Versace hotel and will include a system of heat-absorbing pipes built under the sand and giant wind blowers, designed to keep tourists cool in the searing 40-50C heat.
The hotel, which is due to open late next year or early 2010, will be controlled by thermostats linked up to computers and feature a cooled swimming pool.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...tel-Dubai.html

JDRCRASH Dec 20, 2008 5:44 AM

:sly:

LMich Dec 20, 2008 8:38 AM

How incredibly...decadent. Forget the money, think of the carbon footprint on that sucker.

Jibba Dec 20, 2008 5:00 PM

And here I thought their prodigal developments were coming to a halt as the price of oil continues to crash...

In all seriousness, though, it seems as though Dubai is hinging so much of their future economic success on tourism that they won't stop until they have it all. And what is the Palazzo Versace? I am assuming it is affiliated with the clothing brand; are brand names so important to people that they will actually choose a hospitality provider whose brand partner has absolutely nothing to do with that industry what-so-ever just because of the name?

JDRCRASH Dec 21, 2008 5:44 AM

Uhh, isn't the hot sand part of the experience?

Aleks Dec 21, 2008 9:15 AM

Any renderings?

The Dirt Dec 22, 2008 8:06 AM

The link above has some good renderings.

If Dubai is betting on tourism money, who do they expect to come? Their rather harsh drug and "sex" laws would turn off most Western tourists.

Skyscraper100 Dec 22, 2008 8:51 AM

whatt!!? refrigerated BEACH!?

amor de cosmos Dec 24, 2008 4:42 AM

is it possible for a beach to be cool geothermally? what if pipes went out under the water & back under the beach? Could that work?

philvia Dec 24, 2008 7:34 AM

how stupid is this?

brian_b Dec 24, 2008 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amor de cosmos (Post 3991169)
is it possible for a beach to be cool geothermally? what if pipes went out under the water & back under the beach? Could that work?

Yes, but the pipes would need to be very close to the surface of the sand... Heat rises...

There are a number of instances of using pipes in deep water to circulate air and cool buildings. I would imagine Dubai would find this much more effective than trying to cool sand from below.

I guess the main question is whether the water near Dubai gets deep quickly or stays shallow for a long distance before becoming deep. For example, in the Florida Keys, the water doesn't get more than about 50 feet deep until you are 7 or 8 miles offshore - and then it gets very deep very quickly. With the warm water, using the water for cooling would probably not work at all. Compare that to Toronto, where the water is almost 300 feet deep at around 2 miles from the shore. The water is very cold and thus their cooling system works very well.

Imperar Dec 25, 2008 2:00 PM

What the hell!?!!

They might as well cover the entire city with a huge transparent dome and air condition/refrigerate the inside!

Kingofthehill Dec 29, 2008 8:12 PM

LOL.

1ajs Dec 29, 2008 9:30 PM

lol indeed but think no burn feet getting to the bech lol

mustang84 Feb 16, 2009 12:28 AM

The answer to the question that nobody asked. Wasteful, pointless, and another Dubai gimmick as the rest of the global economy continues crashing down.

bbeliko Feb 17, 2009 3:28 AM

What's next, a heated Iceberg??????

Seriously, we have to be greatful that dubai is/was just a huge ponzi scheme, and that we got a nice new World Tallest, and that stuff like this won't be built

volguus zildrohar Feb 17, 2009 4:14 AM

Seriously, though, many of us who drew in our early probably put something like this in a fantasy city we created.

ethereal_reality Feb 17, 2009 10:58 PM

A refrigerated beach in the desert. This is beyond disgusting.

The upside is that it'll never happen.
The world is finding out that Dubai was nothing more than a house of cards.
(just research articles in the NYTimes, GuardianUK, BBC, even TimeOutDubai)

dubaivillas Apr 8, 2009 1:34 PM

Great news. Refrefigerated beaches are incredible

Dubai Hotels
Dubai Apartments

AltinD Apr 10, 2009 9:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian_b (Post 3991769)
...There are a number of instances of using pipes in deep water to circulate air and cool buildings. I would imagine Dubai would find this much more effective than trying to cool sand from below..

It's not the air that is circulated, but the chilled water ... and yes, Dubai uses that method (called District Colling) more then any other place in the planet.