SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ontario (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Amalgamation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141571)

Bauer_buyer Apr 17, 2010 1:22 PM

I have a question or two as to how the vote will count...:???:

Is the vote only for property owners in both cities...
What about property owners who live in other cities...
Will this include residents who rent as well and if so will the student vote be counted...
Will a simple majority win, for example 51 %...
Is the vote to be taken city by city or region wide...
Just curious...

Waterlooer Apr 17, 2010 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bauer_buyer (Post 4799175)
I have a question as to how the vote will count...:???:

Is the vote only for property owners in both cities...
What about property owners who live in other cities...
Will this include residents who rent as well and if so will the student vote be counted...
Just curious...

I would think just people from K/W would vote but that's just my prediction. Good questions.

Actonite Apr 17, 2010 6:04 PM

It will be on the ballots during the next Municipal election just as the fluoridation question will be in Waterloo.
If you are eligible to vote in the municipal election you will also be allowed to have your say on whether or not you want the two cities to discuss the pros and cons of amalgamation.

Can renters vote? Of course renters can vote. If I understood your post properly your concern is can students(the ones that don't live here year round)vote.
I believe they can. The criteria to be on the voters list are according to the government of Canada

- Must be a Canadian citizen
-Must be at least 18 years of age
-A resident of the city were you plan to vote or an owner or tenant of property in the city were you plan to vote.

There are more criteria but point number three looks to me like students can vote as long as they are living here and are not just commuting to school here.

Actonite Apr 17, 2010 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bauer_buyer (Post 4799175)
Just curious...

The vote will be counted city by city(Kitchener and Waterloo only). If a majority of K/W residents vote yes that doesn't mean talks will happen. A majority must be reached in both Waterloo and Kitchener.
So if Kitchener says YES and Waterloo says NO then no talks will occur the people of Waterloo will have decided they want no part of this and the story ends.( It never really ends here though. It's part of the strange fabric of K/W)

vid Apr 18, 2010 2:35 AM

It took Port Arthur and Fort William more than 60 years to amalgamate from the first time the cities seriously discussed it.