SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Atlanta (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=330)
-   -   Restaurant and Entertainment news (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167408)

cybele Apr 6, 2009 2:59 AM

Restaurant and Entertainment news

Well, since new construction has slowed down a bit this might be a good time to take stock of our city's many dining and entertainment venues. Lots of birthdays around town, and that's saying something in today's tough climate.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3557/...9341ea40_o.jpg

NYClife2005 Apr 7, 2009 9:11 AM

Yea id say it's time for a RESTAURANT thread. Weve got some of the coolest restaurants in the country. I went to HIGH VELOCITY in the Marriott downtown the other day. Some of the sweetest ultra modern & colorfull restaurants we've got.

Anyway, hope we get pics soon of some of the newest ones.

NYClife2005 Apr 7, 2009 9:12 AM

"IT'S" one of the coolest...

typo, sorry

cybele Jun 4, 2009 10:13 PM

Gee, a friend of mine who works downtown told me that Dailey's and City Grill had both closed. They were mainstays in the old days.

(four 0 four) Jun 5, 2009 9:28 PM

I read this news on ajc.com yesterday. Dailey's was one of the best of the Peasant restaurants but was never quite the same when the company sold out to some damn Yankees years ago....they ruin everything! :) The dessert 'altar' was worth the trip! Are there any of the original spaces with the original names left? The Peasants certainly set a standard in Atlanta and were quite festive places to eat (and work) in the 80's and 90's.
Both restaurants were great looking and well located...I would guess that they will open up soon as something else but hopefully the City Grill space will have more reasonable prices.

trainiac Jun 8, 2009 3:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (four 0 four) (Post 4290316)
I read this news on ajc.com yesterday. Dailey's was one of the best of the Peasant restaurants but was never quite the same when the company sold out to some damn Yankees years ago....they ruin everything! :) The dessert 'altar' was worth the trip! Are there any of the original spaces with the original names left? The Peasants certainly set a standard in Atlanta and were quite festive places to eat (and work) in the 80's and 90's.
Both restaurants were great looking and well located...I would guess that they will open up soon as something else but hopefully the City Grill space will have more reasonable prices.

Yeah, I had a whole bunch of business lunches at Dailey's. They usually had great food (especially if you never saw the bill) and the jazz happy hour was always pretty cool downstairs. Hopefully new things will rise from the ashes. Reminds me... I need to go to Trader Vics soon -- I can't lose that place!!!!

Teshadoh Jun 9, 2009 12:45 AM

:( I spent many of my extended I hate work & have to get drunk lunches there. Expensive but well worth it.

NativeAtlantan Jun 9, 2009 1:34 AM

Loved Dailey's - will be dearly missed. Ate there as a child and ate there as recently as Feb, I think.

ATLaffinity Jun 11, 2009 7:48 PM

i've heard grumblings* that Saks will close.

*less reliable than rumors

jpk1292000 Jun 11, 2009 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLaffinity (Post 4300810)

Saks Fifth Avenue?

atlantaguy Jun 12, 2009 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLaffinity (Post 4300810)

Their store here has always ranked in the top 10 for them in the country. In fact, this particular Saks does so well they are very reluctant to add another location in the metro.

IF this happens, it would be very bad news.

Harry Cane Jun 12, 2009 6:31 PM

I've always heard the same thing. In fact, some years ago they were considering a serious expansion building out, but as I recall they settled on just the area outside just outside the store inside the mall. While I'm sure the economy has taken a toll, I would be very surprised if this were true.

Somewhat related, I've read somewhere that the Neimans at Lenox is like their second or third biggest money maker after their flagship store and Beverly Hills (or was it Vegas?)

atlantaguy Jun 13, 2009 11:54 AM

^Re: Neimans Harry - I have also heard this for many years.

The testiment to how well they do at Lenox was recently confirmed with the 75,000+ sq. ft expansion. The expansion is actually larger than several recently added stores total size in our own region (NC & FL).

I THINK their #1 performing store is at Union Square in SFO - but don't hold me to that!

cybele Jun 13, 2009 10:48 PM

The Atlanta Business Chronicle says Bruegger's is contemplating opening 12 Atlanta locations.

atlantaguy Jun 14, 2009 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybele (Post 4304569)
The Atlanta Business Chronicle says Bruegger's is contemplating opening 12 Atlanta locations.

What is Bruegger's, cybele? Never heard of them.

cybele Jun 14, 2009 4:48 PM

It's a big chain of bagel/sandwich shop/coffee shop restaurants, atlantaguy. They're not bad at all. I've been to to the one near GWU a couple of times.

atlantaguy Jun 15, 2009 1:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybele (Post 4305570)
It's a big chain of bagel/sandwich shop/coffee shop restaurants, atlantaguy. They're not bad at all. I've been to to the one near GWU a couple of times.

Thanks, cybele. Cool. Einstien Brothers could use some competition around here.:cheers:

Atlantan26 Jun 15, 2009 2:11 PM

Brueggers is good, we had them when I lived in Ohio.

cybele Jun 16, 2009 2:54 AM

I haven't been out there yet but a friend of mine tells the Gwinnett Braves stadium is very cool.

We did Bark at the Park at Turner Field last week and that was a blast. All the dogs really seemed to enjoy themselves. I know mine did.

cybele Jun 26, 2009 5:26 PM

Looks like there are several major restaurants and clubs opening up around the city. Lenox Square Grill at Lenox, Kolor on Peachtree, Havana Club on Piedmont, F&C Club, also on Piedmont.