SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Buildings & Architecture (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397)
-   -   SAN FRANCISCO | Salesforce Tower | 1,070 FT (326 M) | 61 floors (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199946)

pseudolus Aug 16, 2015 7:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fflint (Post 7131057)
For the zillionth time, Salesforce Tower is being built on landfill and that means extra work underground. Some random Chinese tower not being built on landfill? Off topic.

You have a remarkable ability to miss the point entirely. (see below)

tech12 Aug 16, 2015 7:31 AM

^I though he was replying to wakamesalad, not you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakamesalad (Post 7130995)
Meanwhile, in China, where earthquakes are no stranger, they are constructing a 1,740 ft. tower. In 1 ½ years they have gone from this:

to this:

Wow, it's almost like China is a completely different country, with different politics at play, a different government, lower prices for construction, and different rules and regulations. And it's almost like the ground the Salesforce tower is being built on has a deep layer of unstable landfill and silt on top of the bedrock, in an area that used to be part of a bay, and is in an earthquake zone, unlike the sites of so many other skyscrapers that get built faster.

Go smoke some weed or something, and stop getting angry about skyscrapers for a while :haha:

mt_climber13 Aug 16, 2015 3:13 PM

so touchy in San Fran these days. I am just pointing out observations and I get bombarded with personal attacks. Maybe you should get out on a Sat. Night and you wouldn't be so uptight at 12:30 am, lol.

I do have my doubts this will be built within the next 10 years. Another year at least to ground level, and a lot can happen in a year. Look what is happening in China and Greece/ Eurozone. not to mention that tech is certainly inflated right now, and once Feds raise interest rates, all of this will cause a ripple effect. So what if the tower is pre- leased, means nothing if the lending dries up and there is no more money for construction, and SalesForce loses its valuation. They have the most to lose, as they are interconnected in the tech industry in a huge way, and they just finished building a new tower across the street.

Place yer bets!

PEORIA Aug 16, 2015 4:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudolus (Post 7131026)

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

mt_climber13 Aug 16, 2015 5:00 PM

^You've heard of Chinese checkers? Well, that's Chinese dominoes.

The odds are pretty high on that game, though. :haha:

SFView Aug 16, 2015 6:27 PM

As previously pointed out, the actual site was once near a shoreline. Add the fact the the tower foundation is located adjacent to an enormous train box, where a supertall building must meet some of the toughest seismic codes on earth, one may begin to understand the extra length of time for construction of the foundation.

pseudolus Aug 16, 2015 6:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tech12 (Post 7131087)
^I though he was replying to wakamesalad, not you.

Oh, I think you're right. My apologies to fflint.

fflint Aug 16, 2015 6:51 PM

edit: nm

botoxic Aug 17, 2015 6:04 AM

I work for one of the top five largest construction companies in the United States, and a major aspect of my job consists of analysis of construction funding sources - both pre-bid and during the construction of our projects. My company is not associated with the construction of the Salesforce Tower, but currently I see absolutely no indication that as a whole, there are any major concerns about the financing of major construction in San Francisco (now and immediate future).

The costs of halting large-scale construction projects are extremely prohibitive, and in the case of Salesforce Tower, could accumulate to as much as 5% of the total construction cost. In my 20 years in the industry, my company has only had one project stopped in Northern California (Sacramento), and I know of only a handful in the United States. For large-scale construction, I would guess that less than 2% of projects experience a stoppage due to project financing. And from what I know of the Salesforce Tower financing and lease terms, I would surmise that this project is one of the least likely in San Francisco to be affected by a downturn in the economy.

Aside from the hiccups to be expected anytime you are building a massive "once in a lifetime" construction project, Salesforce Tower is very close to meeting its planned schedule. I am 100% sure that the goal of absolutely everyone associated with the project is to get it finished as quickly as humanly possible.

So until someone has some concrete evidence to the contrary, I don't see the value or necessity of Chicken Little posts every two weeks.

mt_climber13 Aug 17, 2015 1:16 PM

I just want to say, thank you for that mature, professional, educated response. It's a breath of fresh air around here, and I feel schooled after reading it. After years of what appears to be them pushing dirt around, it gets very frustrating and you lose hope. Good to have an insider around here.

SoCal Alan Aug 25, 2015 7:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketman_95046 (Post 7126286)
Rumor is that some of the footings need to be redone. concrete strength did not pass tests.

Not good news, may be some delay/rework. :(

Trying to get confirmation on this.

I talked to a construction worker today. I asked him about the piles and he told me that two of the piles did not pass the concrete test, so they have to be redone. That's why they are digging, and it will be a six month delay.

SoCal Alan Aug 25, 2015 7:12 PM

Taken yesterday afternoon:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/601/2...3a4a9dd0_h.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/650/2...310dcdb5_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5736/...d7e38e4b_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5784/...993b551d_h.jpg

BrownTown Aug 25, 2015 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal Alan (Post 7141306)
I talked to a construction worker today. I asked him about the piles and he told me that two of the piles did not pass the concrete test, so they have to be redone. That's why they are digging, and it will be a six month delay.

Only in America.

Plokoon11 Aug 25, 2015 8:13 PM

So topping out by 2020 at this point?

a very long weekend Aug 25, 2015 8:34 PM

damn. still, with such a long schedule, it's possible during the building process to make some of that time up, though obviously in our "just in time" age. what sort of insurance would a mega developer like hines/bp have on something like that? surely a project of this magnitude would hedge against delays and potential lost revenues?

pseudolus Aug 25, 2015 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a very long weekend (Post 7142011)
damn. still, with such a long schedule, it's possible during the building process to make some of that time up, though obviously in our "just in time" age. what sort of insurance would a mega developer like hines/bp have on something like that? surely a project of this magnitude would hedge against delays and potential lost revenues?

I wonder if their contract with Salesforce has a delivery-by date.

rocketman_95046 Aug 26, 2015 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal Alan (Post 7141306)

thanks SoCal for the confirmation... :(

SFView Aug 26, 2015 5:12 AM

Wow, that sounds like a rather costly delay, but a correct foundation that meets all performance standards is still essential over cost before anything is built above it.

rocketman_95046 Aug 26, 2015 3:19 PM

Well some good news... Looks like the tower is in line to get a few more tenants.:frog:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...francisco.html

mt_climber13 Aug 26, 2015 4:53 PM

April 2017 delivery?! What are they smoking. This thing won't even get to ground level until late winter/ early spring 2016 at earliest. They think that a 1000'+ supertower is going to be fully built, exterior and interior, in 1 year? In San Francisco??