SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   PITTSBURGH | Development Rundown II (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196266)

Evergrey Mar 30, 2012 10:36 PM

The GBBN design is the only one I like... and I really like it... vaguely reminds me of Philly's celebrated Cira Centre.

The IKM design is really hideous... what is that opaque checkered material on the eastern half of the tower? IKM also loses points for the outdated Mon Wharf parking lot and cheesy pleasure craft in the rendering.

Desmone's tower looks like it came from early 90s Cincinnati. I think it would be a much better rendering if they dropped that brown box window thing on the bottom.

markson33 Mar 31, 2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minivan Werner (Post 5648037)
I thought this was the spot that a 7 story (scaled down from 12) boutique hotel was going to be built. Where's that gonna end up?

The hotel site is farther up toward Grant Street. Its right next to the Fort Pitt Commons building.

GeneW Mar 31, 2012 2:21 AM

I like the second design, not as much as the first but it's pretty interesting and different. The third is just terrible and boring though.

Jonboy1983 Mar 31, 2012 2:27 AM

You know, according to the renderings, it looks as though this thing could be somewhere between 15 and 20 floors tall; closer to 20. Granted these are only renderings, but didn't they apply to the zoning code for a zoning change to allow for something taller than 15 stories?

Urbana Mar 31, 2012 2:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 (Post 5648374)
You know, according to the renderings, it looks as though this thing could be somewhere between 15 and 20 floors tall; closer to 20. Granted these are only renderings, but didn't they apply to the zoning code for a zoning change to allow for something taller than 15 stories?

I count about 18 floors on the first design, about 17 floors on the second design, and about 21 on the third. This may be fairly tall and noticeable on the skyline. 200-250 feet would be my guess.

The first design is the obvious winner though. Very elegant, and, with the slanted roof and urban gardens, a great compliment to the Tower at PNC Plaza!

Jonboy1983 Mar 31, 2012 2:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbana (Post 5648389)
I count about 18 floors on the first design, about 17 floors on the second design, and about 21 on the third. This may be fairly tall and noticeable on the skyline. 200-250 feet would be my guess.

The first design is the obvious winner though. Very elegant, and, with the slanted roof and urban gardens, a great compliment to the Tower at PNC Plaza!

My thoughts precisely on all counts. :yes:

steel Mar 31, 2012 2:52 AM

Sorry to intrude but I am in Pittsburgh for a day. What is a great street and neighborhood to do a little strolling and catch a good meal?

Urbana Mar 31, 2012 3:23 AM

A quick Google Earth model I threw together of the first rendering. The height is fairly accurate based on the rendering. BE WARNED! it really sucks.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...bc&prevstart=0

Evergrey Mar 31, 2012 3:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbana (Post 5648389)

The height limit for the site is 18 floors. Perhaps Burns & Scalo could lobby to build into the 20s. It sounds like this tower may take a long time to materialize as they will not build a speculative tower.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...own-tower.html

Quote:

Three designs chosen for Downtown tower

Pittsburgh Business Times by Tim Schooley, Reporter
Date: Friday, March 30, 2012, 1:03pm EDT - Last Modified: Friday, March 30, 2012, 5:16pm EDT

Green Tree-based Burns & Scalo Real Estate Services celebrated the final design choices for a new building on the company’s site on Fort Pitt Boulevard on which it plans to build the region’s next office tower.
It's a rare local example of a private developer sponsoring a design competition.

After starting with 49 submissions last fall, Burns & Scalo invited eight finalists to an event Thursday night at the Duquesne Club where the three final designs chosen by a three-person jury were announced: a team of Cincinnati -based GBBN Architects and Celli-Flynn Brennan Architects and Planners, based Downtown; Lawrenceville-based Desmone & Associates Architects; and IKM Inc., based Downtown.

While the three finalists won $2,000 each, Jim Scalo, principal of Burns & Scalo, emphasized any one of the eight of the final designs could be chosen by a potential company that might be interested in the site as a new headquarters.

“What we now have is a great image of the site that we can share with our prospects,” said Scalo, who praised the designs of all the final eight firms who participated.

Along with the three finalists, the remaining five who also submitted designs rank among Pittsburgh’s most respected firms: Garfield-based EDGE Studio, Strada Architecture, LLC, based Downtown, The Design Alliance, DLA+ Architecture & Interior Design, and Tasso Katselas Architects.

The designs sought to balance the imaginative with the practical on a site with a height restriction of 18 stories that sits on a busy road in Fort Pitt Boulevard and the Parkway East, with the Monongahela River just beyond it. The context that helped inspire the designs included the nearby presence of Point Park University , the highly visible frontage the site provides for car traffic entering the city through the Fort Pitt tunnel and the city’s topographical interplay river, bridges and hills.

IKM’s design reinterpreted a traditional rectangular tower by notching an arching curve up through the center of the structure, culminating in overhanging glass atrium through the middle of the top five floors. Desmone chose to reorient a square building base that terraces back into an angular office tower. And the team of GBNN-Celli Flynn team’s Monongahela Tower concept calls for a shimmering glass rectangular high-rise with an angular green roof.

Other design ideas included a structure of stacked triangular forms that sought to make the most of the shifting daylight of each floor, complete with garden terraces by The Design Alliance, a rectangular high-rise notched with “sky gardens” which were enclosed terraces interspersed among the top floors by EDGE; and a design described as an undulating scrim by Strada, which sought to maximize the riverfront and Mount Washington views for each floor.

Anne Swager, executive director of the Pittsburgh chapter of the American Institute of Architects , saw the competition as an academic exercise but was encouraged by a process of a local developer giving such an opportunity to a host of local firms, making a priority of good design for such a key site.
Scalo emphasized the project will not be built on a speculative basis, requiring a key tenant before any construction can go forward. He estimated a tenant could be identified in the next two years, noting how such companies as GNC, Chevron and U.S. Steel have been in the market for a new headquarters or have considered his site.

Expecting the next major oil and gas company to come to Pittsburgh will want to be Downtown, Scalo and his team said they are striving for an iconic design that make a statement on the city’s skyline.

“This is a chance to change the skyline,” said Scalo.

PITairport Mar 31, 2012 5:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burns & Scalo
Expecting the next major oil and gas company to come to Pittsburgh will want to be Downtown, Scalo and his team said.....

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...own-tower.html

That's an interesting assumption. I also didn't know that Chevron was looking for a new regional headquarters.

themaguffin Mar 31, 2012 2:24 PM

I also like the first design the best and I think the second would look better than shown there.

In any case, this would allow for a nice modern tower right up on that riverside and front view.

when I was mentioned that I wished something of this size for the N Shore instead of what Alcoa (and the others did) this is what I was thinking. These renderering aren't that tall at all, but very nice nonetheless

Minivan Werner Mar 31, 2012 2:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel (Post 5648397)
Sorry to intrude but I am in Pittsburgh for a day. What is a great street and neighborhood to do a little strolling and catch a good meal?

The strip district.

markson33 Mar 31, 2012 2:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minivan Werner (Post 5648684)
The strip district.

I would have voted for Market Square, but the strip can be fun. Another option would be Carson Street on the South Side.

Chevron is reportedly looking for about 350,000 square feet. They bought Atlas Energy about 2 years ago and are currently out by the airport.

Jonboy1983 Mar 31, 2012 8:01 PM

Are we talking about just a regional HQ or would this be a corporate HQ, as in a move clear across the country from California? If it's the latter, it would be a huge, HUGE deal for the Burgh!

I guess if they're looking for 350k square feet worth of office space, it somewhat sounds like a corporate move considering that's roughly an entire building's worth...

Then again, how big is their current HQ?

Evergrey Mar 31, 2012 8:09 PM

Obviously it would be a regional HQ.

markson33 Mar 31, 2012 8:32 PM

Yeah - just regional. Its still a big deal.

Jonboy1983 Mar 31, 2012 9:27 PM

:previous: Even still, that's a pretty sizeable regional HQ...

MMorales2 Mar 31, 2012 11:19 PM

I believe all three renderings of the building are amazing! But I would question the second design simply because it makes me feel it would belong to a city with a tropical, Florida, kind of feel. I don't know if it would stick out like a sore thumb among the surrounding skyline, enviroment, and architecture. I prefer the first design in all honesty and I think it would be a beautiful addition to the skyline. Was there a planned date for it being built soon, or is this down the road some time in the future, Hopefuly?:D

AaronPGH Mar 31, 2012 11:33 PM

#1 is far and away the best design. The other two look like shit. #2 is a poor excuse at trying to be "edgy", #3 is boring and safe like every other Desmone project.

Austinlee Mar 31, 2012 11:33 PM

^ I don't know. I think the first rendering looks too much like the new PNC tower and is not overly original. I prefer the second rendering because it is unique and doesn't really look like anything else which would further the archtectural diversity of downtown continuing the tradition of 150 yrs worth of different architectural styles.