SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | 30 Hudson Yards (North Tower) | 1,296 FT | 92 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187315)

NYguy Dec 16, 2010 2:33 AM

NEW YORK | 30 Hudson Yards (North Tower) | 1,296 FT | 92 FLOORS

Taken from the Hudson Yards thread:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj
Work Set on West Side Rail Yard

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/i...1215211239.jpg
Development firm Related Cos. is awarding a contract to demolish a 60,000-square-foot building as part of work on the West Side rail yards, above.

By ELIOT BROWN
December 16, 2010

Quote:

Seeing green shoots in the New York City office market, development firm Related Cos. is stepping up early work on a massive project planned during the economic boom over the West Side rail yards by the base of the Javits Center.

This week, Related is awarding a contract to demolish a 60,000-square-foot building on the property once used as metal products distribution center. It is clearing a development site for what Related hopes will be the among the first post-recession office towers to be built. Related is talking to about a dozen possible tenants, says Jay Cross, who is leading the rail-yards development for Related.

The company is under pressure to get moving, given its agreement with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which owns the 26-acre rail yards. The agreement calls for the developer to begin paying hefty rental payments once an improving office market hits an availability rate of 11% availability rate. It is currently 12.6%, down from 15% a year ago.

"The efforts we are undertaking ensure we are ramped up and ready to go because it's hard to predict exactly when you are going to hit on your first and second tenant deals," says Mr. Cross. "This market is very diverse when it comes to large users, and the market seems to be very resilient."

Related is focusing its planning on starting a 1.4 million-square-foot building on the southeast corner of the rail yards that would have up to 1 million square feet of office space, topped with 25 floors of apartments, according to Mr. Cross.

This 800-foot-plus tower would sit on firm ground, while the rest of the site requires an expensive roof to first be built over the tracks.

Like many developers, Related plans to effectively give away the office space at cost to a major tenant—asking for rents of about $70 a foot—while it would look to make its money on the residential above, Mr. Cross said.

The site has long been a priority of the Bloomberg administration, which sprinkled tax abatements on the property, and the city is funding an extension to the area of the No. 7 subway line, currently slated to be completed in 2013.

But it remains an open question among real-estate people whether a large tenant would make the jump to the unproven far West Side.

"Anytime soon I'd say it's low-probability," Robert Freedman, chairman of brokerage Colliers International's New York office, said of the project. "I think the fundamentals will be solid, but it's going to take a while."

SkyscrapersOfNewYork Dec 16, 2010 2:38 AM

awesome!!!!! :D

NYguy Dec 16, 2010 2:48 AM

http://www.hydc.org/html/project/mta-rail.shtml

Eastern Rail Yard
The eastern portion of the rail yard is an approximately 13-acre site located between West 30th and West 33rd Streets from 10th to 11th Avenues. The ERY was rezoned in January 2005 to accommodate approximately 6.6 million gross square feet of mixed-use development, including office, residential, hotel, retail, cultural and parking facilities, and public open space. The zoning controls for the site require approximately 7 acres of public open space, including a significant public plaza. Additionally, it is anticipated that development of the ERY will include a major new cultural facility. The High Line connects to the southern edge of the site.

Western Rail Yard
The western portion of the rail yard is an approximately 13 acre site located between West 30th and West 33rd Streets from 11th to 12th Avenues. The WRY was rezoned in December 2009 to accommodate approximately 6 million gross square feet of mixed-use development, including office, residential, hotel, retail, cultural and parking facilities, and public open space. The developer has also made a commitment to build up a minimum of 265 permanently affordable rental units on the WRY, and an additional minimum of 166 permanently affordable units on either the WRY or ERY, in either rental or condominium buildings, for a total of 431 permanently affordable units. The High Line connects to the southern and western edges of the WRY.

The future development of both the Eastern and Western Rail Yards will require the construction of a platform over the active LIRR operations.

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1041511.jpg

NYguy Dec 16, 2010 2:53 AM

Closer overall look at the site plan being developed by Related:

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1041512.jpg

I believe the first tower to be site labeled EC1

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1041513.jpg

RobertWalpole Dec 16, 2010 3:43 PM

It was reported a few weeks ago that the New York-based, handbag/shoe maker, Coach, is negotiating with Related for 600,000 sf of space in a new tower at the Hudson Yards.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...8I6Eta9S92mOmK

Related woos Coach
Related eyes Coach bags

November 30, 2010

Steve Cuozzo

Stephen M. Ross's Related Cos. has a leathery catch on the line for its planned Hudson Yards development project -- New York-based luxury goods maker Coach, Inc.

Sources told us booming Coach is prowling for up to 600,000 square feet of office space on the West Side for a new corporate home. "Coach has been exchanging paper" with Related regarding Hudson Yards as well as with other landlords in the area, the sources said.

Publicly-traded Coach was founded here in 1941. Its leather bags, accessories and other products are sold at 400 stores in the US and Canada, including eight in Manhattan. But few shoppers know that Coach is also a big office-space user.

The company owns its 265,000-square-foot headquarters building at 516 W. 34th St., which it once used for manufacturing and where it still maintains a small factory to produce samples.

It also has a few hundred thousand square feet at 450 W. 33rd St. and at a smaller building on 34th Street. "Now, they've outgrown their premises," a source explained.

There's no letter of intent for Hudson Yards, at least not yet. But a source described the Related talks as "still a work in progress but very serious." Financially strong Coach currently has around $1 billion in cash on its balance sheet to play with.

The 26-acre Hudson Yards site bounded by 10th and 12th avenues between West 30th-33rd Streets -- most of it above the West Side rail yard -- is to be developed by Related and OMERS, the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System. Last May, Related signed a deal with the MTA to lease the site for 99 years, with the partners putting in a $21.75 million deposit.

The project is eventually to include 21 million square feet of development. The master plan calls for three corporate headquarters sites, 5,000 apartments in nine buildings, "destination" retail, a luxury hotel, a new public school, cultural facilities and 12 acres of public open space.

It was understood last night that Coach and Related weren't focused only on one of the office sites, but were exploring "options" at all three.

The MTA/Related deal is contingent on several economic-climate yardsticks. As is typical of such public-private arrangements, it's full of escape clauses and trap doors allowing either side a way out. Moreover, Related must first build a platform over the tracks.

But Related has said previously that with a tenant, work could start as early as 2012. And, if history proves anything, nothing can get a huge project off the ground -- and make all the issues go away -- like a tenant commitment.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz18HynD1Yt

NYguy Dec 16, 2010 6:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertWalpole (Post 5095362)
It was reported a few weeks ago that the New York-based, handbag/shoe maker, Coach, is negotiating with Related for 600,000 sf of space in a new tower at the Hudson Yards.

Yeah, that was posted over in the Hudson Yards thread. I'm sure they're one of the dozen potential tenants, and i'm not surprised by any of it.

Quote:

Related is talking to about a dozen possible tenants, says Jay Cross, who is leading the rail-yards development for Related.

NYguy Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM

Meanwhile, here's the "illustrative" rendering of the railyards development. It can be misleading, because the buildings actually haven't been designed yet.
But what it does is give a window into how the development is planned to be built out.

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1041863.jpg

However, the buildings shown are on the lower end of the spectrum, not a true indication of the potential height of the towers.
For that, I've taken the potential numbers from the EIS of the western yards (I don't have the eastern yards in front of me)
to give a better representation of potential heights.

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1041864.jpg

And here's the rendering with the location of the first office tower to be built marked, which will be on the eastern yards.

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1041865.jpg

Gresto Dec 16, 2010 7:37 PM

Sweet development. I wish we had that here in T.O. I especially like those two neo-Deco towers in the front and the modernist slab to their right. The glass towers? Not so much.

SkyscrapersOfNewYork Dec 16, 2010 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gresto (Post 5095687)
Sweet development. I wish we had that here in T.O. I especially like those two neo-Deco towers in the front and the modernist slab to their right. The glass towers? Not so much.

well none of that will be built,its just a conceptual rendering

Dac150 Dec 16, 2010 8:51 PM

From that last rendering it shows how this will be a city within a city.

Roadcruiser1 Dec 16, 2010 9:25 PM

I hope they would design a 2000ft supertall as a signature tower for the Hudson Yards Project.

XxBassHunterxX Dec 16, 2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 (Post 5095848)
I hope they would design a 2000ft supertall as a signature tower for the Hudson Yards Project.

Now there's an idea! :banana: :whip: :whip: :banana:

Yo Na Dec 16, 2010 10:14 PM

It would have been nice to have a distinctive supertall buuilt there that would break through the skyline, Oh well.

JSsocal Dec 16, 2010 10:14 PM

I'm not hoping for a 2000 foot tall building, but something with a little more vision then this. At least a "signature office tower." The ones proposed now are uninspiring and just plain dull. The residential buildings look fine to me, and I'm glad they differ (at least conceptually).

Dac150 Dec 16, 2010 10:21 PM

Practicality is more important to the developer and tenant rather than building a trophy.

NYC4Life Dec 16, 2010 10:33 PM

So many towers it's difficult to keep track of it all :)

Busy Bee Dec 16, 2010 10:49 PM

What's the giant turd pyramid building that I think MTA has to do with as well as the NYP if I'm not mistaken? Is there no plan to redevelop this building? Has to be one of the worst structures in all of Manhattan.

Dac150 Dec 16, 2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 5095980)
What's the giant turd pyramid building that I think MTA has to do with as well as the NYP if I'm not mistaken? Is there no plan to redevelop this building? Has to be one of the worst structures in all of Manhattan.

Haven’t heard any revitalization plans about this building; I doubt anything is in the pipeline. The good news is that it’ll be buried with all the new development surrounding it.

Gresto Dec 16, 2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork (Post 5095725)
well none of that will be built,its just a conceptual rendering

I see. Yes, it would've helped had I actually read the post first.:duh

Crawford Dec 17, 2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dac150 (Post 5095982)
Haven’t heard any revitalization plans about this building; I doubt anything is in the pipeline. The good news is that it’ll be buried with all the new development surrounding it.

That tower has zoning for 3.1 million square feet of space, and will eventually be redeveloped.

A few years ago, the previous owners (Monday Properties) floated a couple of designs that included a massive tower above the existing structure.

yankeesfan1000 Dec 17, 2010 5:01 AM

The towers shown above in post 7 are just place holders. No final designs for any of the towers have been released, so there's plenty of time to change some elements of those largely glass boxes to make them more interesting. I'm just happy that this is showing an increasing amount of life.

NYguy Dec 17, 2010 5:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSsocal (Post 5095916)
I'm not hoping for a 2000 foot tall building, but something with a little more vision then this. At least a "signature office tower." The ones proposed now are uninspiring and just plain dull. The residential buildings look fine to me, and I'm glad they differ (at least conceptually).

A signature tower or two was actually one of the requirements of the railyards site planning. But keep in mind that there will be 1,000 + ft towers directly north of this and we have yet to see any designs for the railyard towers.

However, I do expect the concept of Related's office towers (3 overall) to be similar to the Time Warner Center. There will be a large retail base, followed by offices, and finally topped by residential (25 floors of residential for the first tower).

NYguy Dec 17, 2010 5:33 AM

Related's original site plan for the railyards...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/90554064/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/89337909/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/90554073/original.jpg

RobertWalpole Dec 17, 2010 11:29 AM

Robert A.M. Stern is designing the new office tower. I have not seen a rendering though and don't know if a design has been produced.

NYguy Dec 17, 2010 4:03 PM

http://www.globest.com/news/1812_181.../305414-1.html

Related Gets Start on Hudson Yards Site

By Paul Bubny
December 16, 2010

Quote:

With an eye on readying the “terra firma” portion of Hudson Yards—that is, site development that doesn’t entail building a platform over the Long Island Rail Road’s Far West Side tracks—Related Cos. and Oxford Properties Group said Thursday they’re beginning preparatory work.

The first step will be the demolition of the circa-1930s Metals Purchasing Building, a process that a Related spokeswoman tells GlobeSt.com will cost $2 million and take around four months. Tishman Construction Corp. is managing the deconstruction.

Jay Cross, president of Related Oxford Hudson Yards, tells GlobeSt.com the terra firma segment of the 26-acre development site would likely represent the best option for delivering a building “for a tenant that wants to be in by a certain time. Since it’s the site that could be delivered the most quickly, we felt it was the site that should be prepared the earliest.”

Additionally, Cross says the 60,000-square-foot Metals Purchasing Building straddles Hudson Yards and the next segment of the High Line, the elevated park being built on disused railroad right of way. The terra firma segment of the Hudson Yards site had also been used until recently as a staging area for the New York City Department of Environmental Protection’s ongoing Water Tunnel No. 3 project. “They’ve finished their work, they’ve cleared out and now we can move in and use it as a staging area,” he says.

Much of the site will be built on a platform over the LIRR’s tracks, which are in daily use by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, from which Related Oxford is leasing the site. With factors such as ventilation and life safety issues being taken into account, “we feel the platform design is really starting to come together, and our intention is to go back into the construction marketplace early in 2011 to test our assumptions,” says Cross.

The idea is to finalize the platform design during the course of next year, he adds, so that construction on the platform could begin as early as 2012. “That’s predicated on the assumption that we would reach our first major tenant deal” next year and therefore be in a position to have to start work in ’12.

To date, that first major tenant hasn’t materialized, although the New York Post reported last month that luxury goods maker Coach Inc. is considering the site. “First and foremost, our challenge is in getting the word out that the Yards are ready to go,” says Cross.

He notes that the Number 7 subway line extension to the Far West Side is on schedule to be completed by 2014, and as for Hudson Yards itself, “all of our agreements are in place with the MTA and all of our approvals are in place with the city. Really, there’s nothing contingent on our starting except securing tenants. That’s news to a lot of people.” Once it’s more generally known, Cross predicts it will get tenant momentum going.

“In particular, the large user market is realizing that there aren’t great chunks of space available,” he says. “And for these large users, the lead times are considerable, because they’re moving a lot of employees. For anyone looking at a lease expiry in 2015, 2016 or 2017, all of a sudden we’ve become a pretty viable option.”

Related Oxford will not be obligated to close on the deal with the MTA, and start paying its 99-year lease, until Midtown’s office availability rate declines to 11%, apartment sale prices reach an average $1,200 per square foot and the AIA Architectural Billings Index hits 50. The latter two of those triggers have already been met, as Cross noted during a RealShare New York panel discussion in October. As for Midtown’s availability rate reaching the contractual threshold, Cross says it’s reasonable to expect that to happen “during the next nine to 15 months.”

Dac150 Dec 17, 2010 5:57 PM

In retrospect I’m glad that Related got behind this project; they just seem like they have their act together.

Roadcruiser1 Dec 17, 2010 8:28 PM

I have a feeling that the owners of the Empire State Building would complain even more now with 15 Penn Plaza and the Hudson Yards Projects designed as supertalls. The view of the Empire State Building would be blocked now.

SkyscrapersOfNewYork Dec 17, 2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 (Post 5097122)
I have a feeling that the owners of the Empire State Building would complain even more now with 15 Penn Plaza and the Hudson Yards Projects designed as supertalls. The view of the Empire State Building would be blocked now.

i doubt it, if city council would back Malkin for one tower why would they back his argument and stop New York's last frontier for commerce from commencing?

UrbanImpact Dec 18, 2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork (Post 5097300)
i doubt it, if city council would back Malkin for one tower why would they back his argument and stop New York's last frontier for commerce from commencing?

Exactly.........city leaders would not want business/jobs to go elsewhere.

NYguy Dec 18, 2010 3:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 (Post 5097122)

These buildings would be further away, 15 Penn Plaza is much closer to the ESB. But the ESB's owner (Malkin) complained because the City had to give the 15 Penn Plaza tower a bonuse to make it larger. Everything in the Hudson Yards will be built as large as the City zoned it.

Crawford Dec 18, 2010 4:38 AM

Hudson Yards is as-of-right. There's no needed city approvals. If a developer wants to build a super-tall, he can go right ahead.

The Vornado Penn Plaza tower required City Council approval, and so was a totally different situation. It sailed through quite easily, though. I don't think there was really much controversy. NYC is a media hothouse, and anything like this will generate press from naysayers, but it doesn't mean that something like this was super-controversial.

NYguy Dec 20, 2010 4:27 PM

http://newyorkrealestate.citybizlist...velopment.aspx

Site Work Begins on 26-Acre Site Hudson Yards Development

December 19, 2010

Quote:

Related Companies and Oxford Properties Group, general partner developers of the 26-acre Hudson Yards in midtown Manhattan, have entered into contract to begin preparatory work for the development of Hudson Yards.

The demolition of the existing Metals Purchasing Building represents the first physical work on the site and the first step in the site work preparation necessary for the development of the Yards. This deconstruction process, managed by Tishman Construction Corporation, is expected to take four months time and paves the way for construction of the first buildings on terra firma, which could commence as early as 2012.

Terra firma buildings could be delivered as soon as 2015 pending tenant commitments.

The developers have also recently wrapped the site in nearly 30,000 square feet of new construction signage, one of the largest construction hoarding installations ever undertaken, and launched a web presence at www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com touting the creation of "New York's Next Great Neighborhood."

"Over 65 percent of Manhattan's office stock is over 50 years old and New York City needs the modern, green, high-tech office space that only we can provide at Hudson Yards in order to retain our competitive advantage in the global market for corporate tenants," Stephen M. Ross, Chairman and CEO of Related Companies said.

The 60,000 square foot Metals Purchasing Building was originally constructed in the 1930s in the freight yards that operated as part of the railroad system along Manhattan's west side. This railroad supported the pier operations and transported goods up and down the west side. The Metals Purchasing Building was used to process, manufacture, and distribute various metal products. The building was also used for processing and manufacturing various metal products. When the demand for the metals operation no longer existed the building was converted to office space and used for back-office type operations. About 20 years ago the building was acquired by MTA by eminent domain and subsequently vacated.

Key transportation investments are underway throughout the area around Hudson Yards including the extension of the Number 7 subway line. The No. 7 subway will link the site to both local and regional rail transportation. This subway line connects Hudson Yards to the major subway nodes of Times Square, Bryant Park, and Grand Central Terminal.

The $2.1 billion subway extension is fully funded and under construction. Crews have finished digging the tunnels and are currently building the new station at the 34th Street and 11th Avenue that will be at the front door to Hudson Yards. The project is on budget and on schedule. The transit system testing will begin in 2013 and a grand opening is anticipated by the first quarter of 2014, at least a year before the first phase of Hudson Yards is opened.

NYguy Dec 20, 2010 4:55 PM

A few more generic renderings taken from the website...

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602...rformance=true

This rendering shows where the High Line meets the High Line spur, as well as the Cultural building that will be a part of the site (left, more on that later).
The large base would be the first tower.

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1045213.jpg

Looking east on 33rd over the plaza and the Time Warner Center-like office and retail development.

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1045214.jpg

Subway station (minus the former World Product Center proposal)

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1045215.jpg

The office towers that form the eastern border will sit atop 5 levels of retail...

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1045216.jpg

A hotel will also be on site, just south of Extell's former WPC site...

And a generic view of the development...

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1045218.jpg

mrnyc Dec 20, 2010 5:46 PM

related wants the highline spur removed. i heard them say so myself at a highline meeting. it's something to keep a vigilant eye on. otherwise, glad to hear this almost unbelievably massive project is officially underway! :cheers:

yankeesfan1000 Dec 20, 2010 9:51 PM

Thanks for the update. I always forget how incredibly massive this development truly is. The towers in the last photo are huggeeeee, 1 Penn Plaza is a 750 footer and looks tiny. It's fantastic to see some actual work on this project has started or will very shortly. Us NYers are so spoiled.

Dac150 Dec 20, 2010 10:13 PM

As has been stated, the renders are very impressive. There is a lot to look forward to, not only with this development but all the others that will follow suit.

Obey Dec 21, 2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 5099547)

Looking east on 33rd over the plaza and the Time Warner Center-like office and retail development.

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1045214.jpg

Subway station (minus the former World Product Center proposal)

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1045215.jpg

Woah, thats going to be New York? A whole other neighborhood! I'm all for it! :D It's great that this is also the ending to the High Line.

Also, the buildings depicted above are still just concepts not final designs?

And I noticed some Alexander Calder sculptures in those renderings. Just an observation.

JayPro Dec 21, 2010 1:31 AM

The towers just look like massing models to obviously give an idea of height/skyline impact.

But my question here is this....

As this is the part of the Island that hasn't (till now apparently) built vertical owing almost exclusively to bedrock depth, what is the intended approach, particularly foundation-wise? Just digging really deep? Lighter superstructure material i.e., aluminum?

Sorry to steer the thread like this; but I am interested in knowing..and being corrected if I'm wrong ;).

Roadcruiser1 Dec 21, 2010 1:59 AM

Actually that answer would be laying 8,000 miles away in Tokyo, Japan. In Tokyo the bedrock is 1 mile and a half feet down. So instead of digging to bedrock, and they are building in a earthquake zone they would bore several holes into the ground and pour concrete into them, then they would pour a solid concrete layer on top, and in total it would be as strong as bedrock itself.

Watch the clip below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vOtS...eature=related

Crawford Dec 21, 2010 2:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayPro (Post 5100138)
But my question here is this....

As this is the part of the Island that hasn't (till now apparently) built vertical owing almost exclusively to bedrock depth, what is the intended approach, particularly foundation-wise? Just digging really deep? Lighter superstructure material i.e., aluminum?

This site is mostly a rail yard (well below grade; basically a trench).

So the reason it hasn't been developed is because it doesn't really exist yet.

Also, the entire neighborhood had the wrong zoning. Developers have been sitting on land for many years, just waiting for the neighborhood to be rezoned.

As for foundations, modern day engineering can build a skyscraper anywhere. Bedrock isn't really important. If anything, it makes skyscraper construction more expensive.

Roadcruiser1 Dec 21, 2010 3:27 AM

Exactly Thank You.

NYguy Dec 21, 2010 6:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 5100177)
This site is mostly a rail yard (well below grade; basically a trench).

So the reason it hasn't been developed is because it doesn't really exist yet.

Also, the entire neighborhood had the wrong zoning. Developers have been sitting on land for many years, just waiting for the neighborhood to be rezoned.

Right, also there's a discussion on construction methods in the FEIS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obey (Post 5100053)
Also, the buildings depicted above are still just concepts not final designs?

And I noticed some Alexander Calder sculptures in those renderings. Just an observation.

They're still concepts at this point. If you look at both renderings in that quote, you'll notice they're not even the same. There will be some form of sculpture around the site. But that last rendering with the Cultural building did answer one question I had about the site.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 5099595)
related wants the highline spur removed. i heard them say so myself at a highline meeting. it's something to keep a vigilant eye on.

I wouldn't see the loss of the spur as a total loss, as long as the high line itself remained. I do though, recall at some point talk of taking down the spur and replacing it with another connection. But as long as there are connections to street level, it's not as important.

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1045213.jpg

NYguy Dec 21, 2010 6:47 AM

Since Related had the easter yards rezoned to include a tower west of the cultural building, I wasn't sure if the planned design would fit on site. But from some of the renderings, it seems it will. It will be west of the first tower.

The "Culture Shed" has the ability to grow...

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=14405

Shed? Make way for a new breed of art space

http://static.worldarchitecturenews....reShed1000.jpg

Quote:

US ‘National Endowment for the Arts’ announces $3 million in grants to city governments and other organisations around the country for urban design projects, including $100,000 for advanced work on a cultural building planned as part of the redevelopment of the Hudson Yards on the West Side of Manhattan. The idea for the building, which has been little noted in the New York cultural world until now, envisions a new breed of cultural site — a combination of museum and rental exhibition space, which would be self-supporting.

The building, called Culture Shed, was conceived and is being designed by Diller Scofidio & Renfro, in partnership with the Rockwell Group, for the Hudson Yards Development Corporation. The five-story building will cover a footprint of 22,000 square feet with two deployable outer sheds that fit over the base and can be rolled from their nested positions on tracks on the east and west sides of the base building resulting in an exhibition hall of more than 55,000 square feet.

There are claims that the building will not be used exclusively for visual art, but will be used as a timeshare and not in affiliation with any one institution, but multiple cultural partners such as the Tate Modern in London. So far, many other cultural institutions throughout the US and Europe have expressed an interest.

Wendy Leventer, senior vice president for planning and design at Hudson Yards Development, said, “We think the design team has come up with an idea that really has tremendous potential.” The grants will also support 20 other projects around the country, including the creation of an arts and culture campus on part of a former Bethlehem Steel plant in Bethlehem, PA. and the development of a building with affordable housing for artists in downtown Los Angeles.

The Hudson Yards Development Corporation (HYDC) is a not-for-profit entity created by the City of New York in 2005 to oversee the redevelopment of the Hudson Yards district, a 360-acre mixed-use site bordered by 42nd and 28th Streets and 8th Avenue and the Hudson River. To date, HYDC activities have included coordination with several NYC authorities, including the Department of Parks and Recreation, to design four acres of neighbourhood green space. It is thought that the new building will enhance the city's capacity to present a wide range of cultural programming and act as an integrated presenting space.

NYguy Dec 24, 2010 4:54 PM

Few more pics from Observer.com

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1051846.jpg

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1051847.jpg

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1051848.jpg

RobertWalpole Dec 25, 2010 5:17 AM

These towers, while not final designs, are disappointing nonetheless. It seems that these buildings will be in the 700 to 800 foot range.

Lecom Dec 25, 2010 6:45 AM

That tower on the first render is pretty much as bad as 1 Penn Plaza. The second ones are meh. The third one is actually awesome.

NYguy Dec 25, 2010 1:17 PM

^ That first tower is to be topped by about 25 floors of residential space, so it won't be as squat and blocky as the rendering makes it out to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertWalpole (Post 5104869)
These towers, while not final designs, are disappointing nonetheless. It seems that these buildings will be in the 700 to 800 foot range.

Well, if you base it on those renderings, you are quite right. However, I speifically marked the potential heights to give an indication on how off the renderings actually are
in terms of height. The office towers on the eastern yards will be higher than the towers of the western yards, which are marked. No buildings are designed, but the
renderings are meant to give an indication on how the devepment would be built out. In that sense, it's very accurate.

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/18602/1041864.jpg

And Merry Christmas everyone....:cheers:

RobertWalpole Dec 25, 2010 4:35 PM

It seems that the best hopes for very tall towers are on the sites that are adjacent to -- but not included in -- the Yards. Developers will build every square inch that they're entitled to and each site.

Zapatan Dec 26, 2010 12:07 AM

I was always under the impression that it was pretty certain that there would be several supertalls at least in some places on the west side

Isn't it kind of early to say there wouldnt' be?

After the WTC/ carnegie 57/ Penn plaza all go up it will hopefully shut the NIMBYS up and spur more very tall developments

RobertWalpole Dec 26, 2010 1:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 5105211)
I was always under the impression that it was pretty certain that there would be several supertalls at least in some places on the west side...

I agree, and that's what I mentioned above. There are a number of sites adjacent to the Yards on which 1,000+ foot towers can rise.