SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cancelled Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=654)
-   -   DOHA | Al Qud's Tower | 1,640 FT / 500 M | 101 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177375)

Dylan Leblanc Jan 8, 2010 9:42 AM

DOHA | Al Qud's Tower | 1,640 FT / 500 M | 101 FLOORS

Al Qud's Tower

Doha, Qatar

A mixed-use tower of 101 floors (office, hotel and residential). This will be the fourth supertall in Doha (if and when the others are built).

__ __ __

Located in the highrise district of Doha, on Diplomatic at Ambassadors St.

Equipment on site last summer (so I am assuming that this is now U/C :shrug:). Pic from Massilia at SSC - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=417811&page=2

What do you think of the design?
:frog: :yuck: :haha: :awesome: :twoguns:

__

kickser Jan 8, 2010 10:15 AM

It's ugly tacky and doesn't fit for a building of this height at all, is this one approved?

Alxx611 Jan 8, 2010 10:37 AM

something about the style is very indecisive and clashing with itself over and over.

R@ptor Jan 8, 2010 11:01 AM

I really like the design, because it's one of the few recent examples that incorporates Arabian architectural features in a new skyscraper on the Arabian Peninsula.

I've always been in favour of traditional local architcture influencing the modern architecture in a region. IMO you should still be able to tell on which continent/region a city is located by looking at the skyline.

Dylan Leblanc Jan 8, 2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickser (Post 4640425)
It's ugly tacky and doesn't fit for a building of this height at all, is this one approved?

According to this site - http://www.zawya.com/projects/projec...id150909110119

Quote:

In 2014, the project is expected to be completed.

In Q2 2010, the construction of superstructure facilities is expected to start.

In late Q1 2010, the piling works are expected to be completed.

In Q3 2009, the piling and foundation works started and the ITB for the main construction contract was issued.

In Q2 2009, the piling and foundation works contract was awarded to Ammico Contracting.

In January 2009, the ITB for the piling foundation works contract was issued.

In December 2006, the foundation stone was laid.

village person Jan 8, 2010 11:32 AM

It's like a person with five heads! No! This doesn't work at ALL!

Dylan Leblanc Jan 8, 2010 11:39 AM

I find it comical. Just glad it's not being built in my country. :yes:

JManc Jan 8, 2010 11:49 AM

i like the massing and it looks like the love child of the sears tower and a mosque.

muppet Jan 8, 2010 1:49 PM

I never like pastiche, but I think this is going to look great in reality. A bit like the Meccah tower - looks tacky on paper, but positively impressive in the flesh.

OneWorldTradeCenter Jan 8, 2010 1:58 PM

The building doesn´t look like a skyscraper in my opinion. It´s an ugly building, other than the other towers in Doha like Dubai Towers Doha and the Aspire Tower.

AtlantaMustang Jan 8, 2010 4:19 PM

It looks like something out of a medieval science fiction movie.. interesting....

gnmpf74 Jan 8, 2010 5:07 PM

I like this "Queen Amidala Of Naboo Tower":D

OneWorldTradeCenter Jan 8, 2010 5:21 PM

Could someone draw this structure in the diagrams?

Biff Jan 8, 2010 5:24 PM

A post modern version of the Sears Tower

shakman Jan 8, 2010 5:26 PM

Very unique style or lack of style.

It seems like the building was designed using LEGOS.

McBane Jan 8, 2010 6:21 PM

I'm so sick of these "manufactured" skyscrapers built by oil sheiks so they can brag to the world how modern their cities are.

NYC, Chicago, etc. built skyscrapers based on the need that those cities (and similar cities) were bursting at the seams; there was no where else to build but up. True, some of the taller ones were partially about making statements, but for the most part, they were necessary to accommodate the growth of those cities. Same with Toronto, Hong Kong, Singapore, London, etc.

Are you telling me that the "booming" city of Doha has nowhere to build but up? From the images, I see an ugly supertall surrounded by open space. What a joke. It's especially comical if the builders think that throwing money to build skyscrapers in their shiekdoms will make their cities significant. Glad to at least see that Dubai has been exposed for the sham city that it is.

And before someone says it - I am by no means jealous of this hideous tower.

BrandonJXN Jan 8, 2010 6:27 PM

This is all sorts of ugly.

bbeliko Jan 8, 2010 6:28 PM

So, jerusalem tower???

it looks even tackier than the one in mecca.

JDRCRASH Jan 8, 2010 6:32 PM

The Sears (ehem, Willis) Tower has converted to Islam.

Lecom Jan 8, 2010 6:41 PM

Reminds me of a Middle eastern reworking of the old Larkin Building proposal in New York (which I never really liked either, mixed with some more fail.