SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   NEW ORLEANS | Project/Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100363)

tennis1400 Feb 25, 2015 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerbydesign (Post 6928139)
Wow this is way worse than I could've imagined. My favorite part is the dumpsters facing the greenway. What a waste of a great site.

Im hoping that the stores planned along the greenway will have double frontages. But overall I agree with everyone here .. what a wasted opportunity. Lets hope the outparcels along the greenway can help. Also don't forget this still has to go through a design review so there will be some changes and Im betting those dumpsters will be one!

tylerbydesign Feb 25, 2015 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis1400 (Post 6928455)
Im hoping that the stores planned along the greenway will have double frontages. But overall I agree with everyone here .. what a wasted opportunity. Lets hope the outparcels along the greenway can help. Also don't forget this still has to go through a design review so there will be some changes and Im betting those dumpsters will be one!

I just hope the design review planners can somehow convince them to add some housing. Even a single story of apartments above the retail would be huge.

prokowave Feb 25, 2015 6:51 PM

There's a real lack of vision in that area of the city. This site, at the intersection of a streetcar line and a major park/trail, not to mention close proximity to city park and a huge variety of restaurants and retail, is really prime for some residential. While I'm sure there's room for more retail as well, I imagine apartments/condo would fetch a really good price. Why not something like 3-4 floor with retail lining the streets/greenway and parking behind that and apartments above?

tennis1400 Feb 25, 2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prokowave (Post 6928506)
There's a real lack of vision in that area of the city. This site, at the intersection of a streetcar line and a major park/trail, not to mention close proximity to city park and a huge variety of restaurants and retail, is really prime for some residential. While I'm sure there's room for more retail as well, I imagine apartments/condo would fetch a really good price. Why not something like 3-4 floor with retail lining the streets/greenway and parking behind that and apartments above?

I agree. I mean I just posted an office building that's in that area that is adding housing. So the proposal we see above is just a really lazy one that's all. Its a shame because the location is second to none and could accommodate a much greater development and while it might take some more creativity it would ultimately make more money.

Blitzen Feb 26, 2015 3:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis1400 (Post 6928875)
I agree. I mean I just posted an office building that's in that area that is adding housing. So the proposal we see above is just a really lazy one that's all. Its a shame because the location is second to none and could accommodate a much greater development and while it might take some more creativity it would ultimately make more money.

Agreed, this development should rival the American Can Co., not the Jefferson Feed.

On an unrelated note, Google Earth satellite images of New Orleans are updated for 10/31/14. Yulman Stadium looks fantastic!!

lamsalfl Feb 26, 2015 5:39 AM

Pretty interesting to compare the views of the Iberville Projects from 3/13 and 10/31/14.

tennis1400 Feb 26, 2015 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzen (Post 6929200)
Agreed, this development should rival the American Can Co., not the Jefferson Feed.

On an unrelated note, Google Earth satellite images of New Orleans are updated for 10/31/14. Yulman Stadium looks fantastic!!

Weird Im not seeing it!

NOLAmike Feb 26, 2015 6:53 PM

Frenchmen Art Market to be replaced with parking

The Frenchmen Art Market is going to be replaced with parking. 2121 Chartres is going to be renovated and Has a parking requirement of 106 parking spots. The developer hopes to get that number lowered to 50 & will be able to fit 26 onsite. The parking requirement really bugs me. The Marigny was built before there where parking requirements. It seems to me that historical conservation groups should be completely against constructing parking there due to it messing up the "tout ensemble". Well, the market is going to be replaced by 6 surface parking spots. Good job required parking in dense neighborhoods (the end of my rant).

http://www.nola.com/arts/index.ssf/2...t_river_mobile

tennis1400 Feb 26, 2015 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOLAmike (Post 6929986)
The Frenchmen Art Market is going to be replaced with parking. 2121 Chartres is going to be renovated and Has a parking requirement of 106 parking spots. The developer hopes to get that number lowered to 50 & will be able to fit 26 onsite. The parking requirement really bugs me. The Marigny was built before there where parking requirements. It seems to me that historical conservation groups should be completely against constructing parking there due to it messing up the "tout ensemble". Well, the market is going to be replaced by 6 surface parking spots. Good job required parking in dense neighborhoods (the end of my rant).

http://www.nola.com/arts/index.ssf/2...t_river_mobile

Agreed.... but this doesn't prevent them from doing the market on the parking lot.

Eightball Feb 26, 2015 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prokowave (Post 6928506)

Excellent comment.

And I agree that the parking requirements should be greatly reduced for that project in the Marigny

tennis1400 Feb 26, 2015 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eightball (Post 6930081)
Excellent comment.

And I agree that the parking requirements should be greatly reduced for that project in the Marigny

The parking requirements under the future czo are much less onerous.. So im not sure why the guys isn't just waiting for that to be adopted. But of course with government you cant be so sure how quickly it will move through.

v-chop Feb 27, 2015 1:59 AM

Magnolia Marketplace

PetSmart and Raising Cane's are open.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...fe61bd8602f926

ardecila Feb 27, 2015 2:13 AM

Ugh what a waste.

Bummer about the Frenchmen Art Market... any chance the city would let them set up in Washington Square or the French Market parking lots? Lot of options here if the city actually makes a good-faith effort to preserve the market.

NolaWave Feb 27, 2015 2:55 PM

Magnolia Marketplace Parking

I know we are normally against large parking lots here, but there is a serious lack of parking at Magnolia Marketplace. Seems even worse than the situation at Mid-City Market where I have just left before from not being able to find parking at peak times.

Nevertheless, glad to see that development opening. Wonder what people's reactions will be to the special sales tax on purchases there.

tennis1400 Feb 27, 2015 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaWave (Post 6931032)
I know we are normally against large parking lots here, but there is a serious lack of parking at Magnolia Marketplace. Seems even worse than the situation at Mid-City Market where I have just left before from not being able to find parking at peak times.

Nevertheless, glad to see that development opening. Wonder what people's reactions will be to the special sales tax on purchases there.

Not sure why they didn't do additional parking on the rooftop ... I doubt many will even know the extra cent is there on the taxes.

Taildragger Feb 27, 2015 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis1400 (Post 6931120)
Not sure why they didn't do additional parking on the rooftop ... I doubt many will even know the extra cent is there on the taxes.

Parking on the rooftop? The roof of Magnolia Market place?

sgray Feb 27, 2015 10:34 PM

Jung Hotel - massive redevelopement

from City Business - anyone know the details?

Jung Hotel plans emerge in WTC proposal

By: Robin Shannon, Reporter February 27, 2015 0

The Jung Hotel, once known as the largest convention hotel in the South, is set for a massive redevelopment that could transform an entire block of upper Canal Street.

prokowave Feb 27, 2015 11:01 PM

I believe the plans and details were posted here a few pages back. Sometimes I think the papers get their info from here rather than the other way around!

tennis1400 Feb 28, 2015 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prokowave (Post 6931797)
I believe the plans and details were posted here a few pages back. Sometimes I think the papers get their info from here rather than the other way around!

I wrote an article about it on Canal Street Beat even though Nola.com or city business never credits me for finding these stories. :hell:

http://canalstreetbeat.com/the-jung-...lans-included/

Plans for 2401 st Claude:

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/FEBE5...7FCD994B15.pdf

ardecila Feb 28, 2015 7:30 PM

Who is Joe Jaeger? Dude is on fire right now.