SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alberta & British Columbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Decision 2012: Alberta Politics Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176767)

DizzyEdge Apr 17, 2012 1:40 PM

Unfortunately looks like I won't be voting. I'll be away on voting day and I requested a Special Ballot two weeks ago and never got a call, so I probably don't have time to follow up at this point.

MalcolmTucker Apr 17, 2012 1:47 PM

Call your returning officer and explain, you may be able to fill out a ballot right at the office.

DizzyEdge Apr 17, 2012 2:48 PM

You wouldn't know a source of returning officer contact info would you? I have it at home, but I won't be home until 7pm and tomorrow I'm leaving and won't have time.

Full Mountain Apr 17, 2012 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DizzyEdge (Post 5669345)
You wouldn't know a source of returning officer contact info would you? I have it at home, but I won't be home until 7pm and tomorrow I'm leaving and won't have time.

Here you go

DizzyEdge Apr 17, 2012 6:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Mountain (Post 5669387)
Here you go

Thanks!, I'm going to vote at 9am tomorrow then.

DizzyEdge Apr 17, 2012 8:28 PM

lol

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/al...842/story.html

Calgary Wildrose candidate attributes his electoral edge to being Caucasian

“I think as a Caucasian I have an advantage. When different community leaders such as a Sikh leader or a Muslim leader speak, they really speak to their own people in many ways. As a Caucasian, I believe that I can speak to all the community.”

CALGARY – A day after an Edmonton-based Wildrose candidate came under fire for controversial religious views, a Calgary-based candidate with the party found himself in the headlines for on-air comments suggesting his chances of victory were better than his non-white rivals.

“I think as a Caucasian I have an advantage,” Ron Leech told a radio station on the weekend. “When different community leaders such as a Sikh leader or a Muslim leader speak, they really speak to their own people in many ways. As a Caucasian, I believe that I can speak to all the community.”

Leech, a longtime pastor running in the multicultural riding of Calgary-Greenway, has previously been at the centre of controversy for some of his religious views against homosexuality and abortion.

On Tuesday at a Wildrose rally, Leech apologized for his radio comments, saying he meant to say that he has no disadvantage as a Caucasian candidate running in Greenway.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...#ixzz1sKdu58WS

The Chemist Apr 17, 2012 10:20 PM

I cannot believe that Albertans are seriously considering electing WildRose, which looks crazier and crazier with every news report about them.

Thank goodness I don't live there anymore. :yuck:

DoubleK Apr 19, 2012 11:04 PM

God help us all if Danielle Palin and her merry band of bigots win on Monday.

artvandelay Apr 20, 2012 3:35 AM

This is the first election I won't be voting in since I turned 18 (because I'm travelling abroad), but I'm really hoping for a Wildrose victory. I know they have a few nutcase candidates, but I think Alberta desperately needs to return to proper conservative governance.

sync Apr 20, 2012 3:39 AM

can someone please explain to me how the city that elected nenshi is also somehow about to put a bunch of wildrose candidates in office?

Airboy Apr 20, 2012 4:38 AM

went to vote tonight, I have to say I have never had to stand in line a wait to vote before. Station workers said it was nonstop all day. definetly going to be a big turnout this year.

Neon_Xeon Apr 20, 2012 4:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chemist (Post 5669937)
I cannot believe that Albertans are seriously considering electing WildRose, which looks crazier and crazier with every news report about them.

Oh, and ALSO:
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/CanadaAM/2...reacts-120416/

Now that is shocking and a bit too blatant.

TallBob Apr 20, 2012 5:18 AM

Danielle Smith and the Tea Party clowns in the US. All Blow and no go.... Profoundly Ignorant. Along with that neither understands the role of government and guess what, they WORK for the government! The same Canadians (Albertans) that support this kook are the same folks that thought G. W. Bush was a great US president. Bush screwed Canada bad on many issues, not Obama. MY 2 cents

Colin Apr 20, 2012 6:59 AM

I voted today as well and just like Airboy mentioned, the line was ridiculous. It took me an hour in line when I usually have never waited for more than 10 minutes in any past election. This is going to be a showdown for sure.

artvandelay Apr 20, 2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sync (Post 5673081)
can someone please explain to me how the city that elected nenshi is also somehow about to put a bunch of wildrose candidates in office?

I was a huge Nenshi supporter from day one, and also a fan of the Wildrose. Municipal and provincial politics don't have a lot of overlap in my opinion.

stamps Apr 20, 2012 1:39 PM

I want a change and I don't like how Redford won the PC leadership race... I voted for Nenshi and that Edmonton WR preacher sounds like a real wingnut but damn the torpedos, I'm voting Wildrose....

240glt Apr 20, 2012 2:19 PM

Quote:

Municipal and provincial politics don't have a lot of overlap in my opinion.
You're right, municipal politics is largely inconsequential outside of that particular city, provincial politics is farther reaching and definitely has a larger effect/impact.

It's just funny, in Edmonton (with a mayor that is seen to be progressive and forward thinking, much like Nenshi) you'd likely not find people voting for mayor Mandel and supporting the Wildrose... The ideologies just don't allign. Yet for some reason in Calgary they'll elect a progressive mayor, yet for the far more important institute of provincial politics, they'll elect what I'll sum up as a hard right, redneck party with a leader of litle substance and a bunch of nutcases and ex-tories who fled the sinking ship like rats running for MLA. Why is that ? Does it speak to Calgary's true colors as a very conservative city ? Is it the oil influence ? Greed ?

Elbownian Apr 20, 2012 3:03 PM

Yikes, sounds like I'd better leave a little extra time if I hit the advance poll today.

Honestly, my impression is that a considerable number of Calgarians will vote for whoever promises to leave the most money in their wallet, platform specifics be damned. I once had a boss that told me this verbatim, no sugar coating provided. There's also a periodic out with the old, in with the new tendency. In this case, both of these factors dovetail.

Honestly, Wildrose terrifies me. That degree of social conservatism is something I expect to see in the US deep south, not Canada, and their economic policies could make Alberta a very challenging place to live for those on lower incomes. My family has seriously discussed the possibility of relocating to another province in the event of a majority win.

stamps Apr 20, 2012 3:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 240glt (Post 5673411)
You're right, municipal politics is largely inconsequential outside of that particular city, provincial politics is farther reaching and definitely has a larger effect/impact.

It's just funny, in Edmonton (with a mayor that is seen to be progressive and forward thinking, much like Nenshi) you'd likely not find people voting for mayor Mandel and supporting the Wildrose... The ideologies just don't allign. Yet for some reason in Calgary they'll elect a progressive mayor, yet for the far more important institute of provincial politics, they'll elect what I'll sum up as a hard right, redneck party with a leader of litle substance and a bunch of nutcases and ex-tories who fled the sinking ship like rats running for MLA. Why is that ? Does it speak to Calgary's true colors as a very conservative city ? Is it the oil influence ? Greed ?

Maybe stealing an analogy from Brian Greene might shed a little bit of light on things.... when you look at an orange close up you can see the pits and uneven texture of the skin, looking at the same orange on a table from across the room the skin appears to be smooth.... on a quantum scale things are very choatic and you need equations to smooth out the qauntum jitters....

Wigs Apr 20, 2012 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chemist (Post 5669937)

Yeah it's scary to think in 2012 that droves of people would vote for a party that doesn't believe in climate change and has a candidate that is openly homophobic/anti-gay, among other things.

Wildrose Edmonton-South West candidate Allan Hunsperger on gays: "You will suffer the rest of eternity in the lake of fire, hell".
Also Mr. Hunsperger, a supporter of private Christian schools for 3 decades has said "You can't partner with public education, because public educators are godless."
As an MLA you are (in theory) supposed to support the needs of the majority of your constituents, which unless Edmonton South West is part of the "bible belt" I don't see him being able to achieve.

Anyways, everyone should exercise their right to vote on Monday and whomever you choose is your business. I just hope I don't see Alberta turn into Wildrose country (politically :haha:).